• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Chaplain

Try a different cable/HDMI port.

I will try this. ^_^

Yes. I believe this is a major issue with 4K right now. The industry sold a lot of products not compatible with current (future) industry standards. A lot of TVs will have HDCP handshake issue.

Do you hear audio but have no picture? A change in the content or menu will fix this. It's why unplugging and replugging works.

Audio is missing upon bootup.

Change automatic login, so that when you press X on your controller, it logs in to your account instead of console power up going straight to the main menu. When you do that, the console decides to redo the handshake. I'm not sure if this is the solution for your problem, but it's a solution to mine. I own a Vizio btw

I own a Vizio as well. I will do this later to see if this fixes the issue. Thank you for your advice.

So - regarding the black crush problem on inFAMOUS that myself and some other people are having, I got an email response back from Sucker Punch regarding the issue:

"Dear
Thank you! We at Sucker Punch are constantly striving to improve our quality and integration with the gaming community, and your report will help us do that.

We would like to inform that we investigated the brightness issue that surfaced after the PS4 Pro patch, we successfully determined the cause, and we are currently working on a new patch that will expose the legacy brightness/contrast behavior, as a user choice. Our goal is that, by doing this, we will be able to accommodate the different brightness behaviors we are observing, depending on the brand and model of the TV being used.

We are finalizing the new code, and should have this new patch ready soon.

Thank you for your support!
Sucker Punch Team"

So basically another patch is coming that should fix things for those affected. Really pleased at the quick response, I loved my First Light playthrough even with the black crush (I played with my TV settings to improve the issue, but it didn't completely fix it) so a complete fix would probably prompt me to replay it (and Second Son) again as the improved frame rate is such a big improvement for the game for me.

Ferr986

OK, I got a Pro and I hate myself for it, because I totally hate the iterative model, but between GAF hype and also the hype of some of my friends... yep, here I am.

Truth to be told I got a decent trade in offer, so I paid 140€+my old PS4 and a couple of games I already have digital. I also have been sick for a couple of weeks and that let me save some money.

First of all, even though the console is not as ugly as in pics... it's still pretty ugly. OG/C-chassis still best PS4 design wise.

I tried Ratchet and Clank and yeah I notice the game looking more crisp on my 1080p. It didn't blow my mind as some people here but that's the case of reading too much. It's still cool I guess. DL'ing the FFXV demo, because I don't have much more Pro enhanced games.

The best part of the Pro is that, so far, is silent as fuck, atleast while I tried it with Ratchet. Even installing is more silent than my old PS4. Again, looking forward to try FFXV, because that demo almost murdered my OG PS4.

The worst part, is that the wifi sucks as much as on my OG PS4. I expected to be a tad faster but.... it's going to take me a while to redownload everything.

The new pad is nice too, everything feels better.

adversarial

Is the consensus "worth it"?

If a developer creates a PS4 PRO patch and it makes the game run worse, is it easy for them to correct it? Is this a sort of thing that it's going to take a few months to get the kinks out before we start seeing a return on investment, for lack of a better word?

I preordered one on Amazon when they went up. A few weeks ago I tried to cancel via their website but it continually gave me an error. I chatted with a customer service agent who canceled the order. But I got a shipping notification the other day as well as the charge on my credit card. I emailed them and they had records of the chat, apologized, refunded my credit card and told me to keep the Pro. So, score!

Looking forward to trying out another playthrough of The Last of Us and continuing on Hitman. Was Rocket League ever announced to have a pro patch?

Curufinwe

So - regarding the black crush problem on inFAMOUS that myself and some other people are having, I got an email response back from Sucker Punch regarding the issue:

"Dear
Thank you! We at Sucker Punch are constantly striving to improve our quality and integration with the gaming community, and your report will help us do that.

We would like to inform that we investigated the brightness issue that surfaced after the PS4 Pro patch, we successfully determined the cause, and we are currently working on a new patch that will expose the legacy brightness/contrast behavior, as a user choice. Our goal is that, by doing this, we will be able to accommodate the different brightness behaviors we are observing, depending on the brand and model of the TV being used.

Sucker Punch Team"

So basically another patch is coming that should fix things for those affected. Really pleased at the quick response, I loved my First Light playthrough even with the black crush (I played with my TV settings to improve the issue, but it didn't completely fix it) so a complete fix would probably prompt me to replay it (and Second Son) again as the improved frame rate is such a big improvement for the game for me.

That's really cool.

ElNino

I don't think there will be a consensus considering there are factors like PSVR/4K.

For PSVR users it seems to be a reasonable improvement thus far, but it also brings in some problems that were not present on OG PS4 (HDCP handshake issues causing video and audio drop outs, no HDR support).

f@luS

More than a member.
Seriously this PRO is a godsend. Titanfall is so crisp so fluid. Games are so good looking. Native or upscaled to 4k almost the same it's insane. :love:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man .. holy fucking shit .. Infinite Warfare Pro looks *SOO GOOD* on a 4K Panel. There's literally no signs of aliasing at all, the resolution, IQ, everything looks amazing.

Here's some downsampled to 1080p pics.

callofduty_infinitewa0dyky.png

callofduty_infinitewa2lb14.png

callofduty_infinitewa3yx70.png

callofduty_infinitewazozgz.png

callofduty_infinitewadrbdh.png

callofduty_infinitewaepady.png

callofduty_infinitewaieavo.png

callofduty_infinitewaaxaap.png

callofduty_infinitewafexjc.png

Just bought mine. Will pick it up tomorrow night. I will be playing Rise of Tomb Raider to break it in, and hopefully that'll last me until FFXV.

RavenHawk

Well, after going back and forth on this thing, I decided to jump in as my discount code was ending yesterday. Crossing my fingers that I get one of the "quiet" ones.

I just picked up a Pro over the weekend, I have an Xbox one and gaming PC but I wanted to round out my collection and play some exclusives.

When I plugged in the micro USB to the controller I noticed a lot of play in the connector. It seems to move side to side, not locking in real solidly like other micro usb devices do.

Is this common with PS4 controllers?

Shin-Ra

"Dear

Sucker Punch Team"

You should repost this in the inFAMOUS HDR/Pro patch thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305671&page=8

Oneself

The worst part, is that the wifi sucks as much as on my OG PS4. I expected to be a tad faster but.... it's going to take me a while to redownload everything.

The new pad is nice too, everything feels better.
5Ghz wifi is now supported. Try connecting to that band and enjoy a super fast connection! (I have a 125mbps wired connection and my Pro sits at a steady 110mbps through wifi).

Moreche

I've been using my Pro since launch and I'm loving it. I agree it's louder but more power means more heat so I can't see any other way around it.
Games such as Skyrim at 1080p look so clean at 1080p.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Infamous is the game that prob shows what HDR can do most that i have seen yet. Its not about making colors pop etc, it never was. It's about accurate colours and shadows and highlight detail.

Infamous has a ton of lighting effects. It also has a lot of contrasting areas of light and dark. The reason some areas seem really dark is because they were meant to be but SDR cant display it without crushing all the detail so it gets brightened up a lot.

A good place i found to display it is in a tunnel (under a bridge). Its really dark in the tunnel and you can see bright light at the end. With HDR i have game brightness on max. Its very dark in that tunnel but you can still make out all the details (assuming the tv is set up correctly with no processing bs on). Switch HDR off and brightness to 3 and you will now see why everything looks darker in HDR. In SDR everything that is meant to be black is now a lighter gray colour. SDR can still display black (just look at the power bar in the bottom left) just not all the levels of black needed to not crush everything.

Essentially, when in SDR everything is lighter than it should be because it cant display the levels of colour and shadow it needs to. With HDR on it can and allows you to now experience truly dark areas rather than dark grey areas like you had before.

So yes infamous can be really dark at times but if you are seeing crushed blacks you have a setting on the tv causing it. For me i was pretty impressed with how much detail and how much closer to reality dark areas now looked rather than washed out dark grey like in SDR.

People seem to think HDR is about super saturated colours when its not that at all. Remember people, its about accurate, more realistic colours.

I have brightness in the game maxed as well with HDR, but it doesn't really fix the lighting issue with this game.

It's a game with a really dim image overall.

I know it's not about saturated colours , btw.

For instance, particle effects when draining a core relay look crisp and have discernible depth.

Really pretty.

The rest is very, very dark.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Has anyone had the Pro not displaying a signal upon bootup? Either with the TV off or on? This has happened about six or more times since my wife and I got the system. The system turns on and our TV says no signal. Unplugging the power cable, plugging it back in and then turning the system on fixes this issue. I don't think its a crash because the system doesn't check the harddrive once the systems displays a signal.
Mine shows up with no signal until I reselect the input on my TV, so clicking source and HDMI 2, I do have PSVR though and that shows up as a second input on the same HDMI

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Infamous is a shitshow on my X850D.

The first level in the guttery with Hank was a mess of pitch black areas and dim lights, and the cutscenes are even worse. Characters silhouettes just blend in with the near black backgrounds.

There certainly is no "pop" anywhere. Just harshly saturated colours and darkness.

Playing on an older model set (X850B). And even without HDR, the game is practically unplayable during the nighttime or in dark areas of the city. Blackness just envelopes everything and it feels completely unnatural.

You literally can pan the camera to where the sun lovingly hits the scene, but the moment you spin it around and are silhouetted by the light, the entire image is engulfed in darkness as if the most intense solar eclipse is occurring off of delson. Otherwise the game looks great in 4K, especially during the day. At night I literally feel like I am squinting at times to see anything on screen.

icespide

Banned
Man .. holy fucking shit .. Infinite Warfare Pro looks *SOO GOOD* on a 4K Panel. There's literally no signs of aliasing at all, the resolution, IQ, everything looks amazing.

damn you for making me consider picking up a call of duty game

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I've been using my Pro since launch and I'm loving it. I agree it's louder but more power means more heat so I can't see any other way around it.
Games such as Skyrim at 1080p look so clean at 1080p.

I agree with this. The only noises out of it for the most part are air being pushed out and I accept it. The case is small so that air must be pushed out. With a small case, I expect that. I don't hear any other noises other than disc related spin up/ spin down here and that, but even that is quieter than my OG PS4.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea, playing through this game currently as well and consistently impressed by how unbelievably great CoD IW looks. Just razor sharp, 60fps, and keeping my jaw on the floor in 4K.

GazzaGSi

Anyone else notice a visual downgrade in The Division? Whenever I'm in a base / social space textures aren't loading in fully or generally look low res. I don't think it was on the list of games getting a patch, and I haven't played it in months, so not sure if this is an old problem or a Pro related issue.

As mullah said it's an old problem but I must admit, I've been spoiled by Pro games as when I went back on the division I was a bit disappointed and hoped even more for a possible Pro patch for it.

old problem (hence the slow walk in to the BoO0 but having an sshd or ssd helps with loading the assets a lot faster.

question did i set this up properly? i gave my nephew my og ps4 and left that console as the primary device. will that be a problem for me and the pro? when i had both consoles together, enabling the pro as the primary console meant he couldnt play my downloaded or plus games on his account. but making the og the primary console, he signs me out of psn (on pro) when he boots up the console and from there he can switch to his account and booth up any game, and i can log back into my account on the pro without him getting kicked off the game. so i'm not really sure if thats the way to leave it

That's setup correctly if you want him to access your content. So you don't get kicked offline on your machine you need his console to be set so it's his account that auto logs in. Your account doesn't need to log on to it with it being your primary.

However, if your Internet went down you would have no access to your games as you must log in to access your content when the machine isn't set as primary. You'll get padlock icons on all your applications.

Test it if you like, log in to your console which isn't primary then turn your router off so you sign out and you won't be able to access apps until you log in again.

Ferr986

5Ghz wifi is now supported. Try connecting to that band and enjoy a super fast connection! (I have a 125mbps wired connection and my Pro sits at a steady 110mbps through wifi).

How can I do this? I connected my Pro to my router via wifi as usual and the speeds are the same as OG PS4.

Yeah, it really is impressive. I actually wanted to pass on this game until I played my son's copy on my Pro. So good.

How can I do this? I connected my Pro to my router via wifi as usual and the speeds are the same as OG PS4.
First you have to make sure your router supports a 5ghz channel.

Then u have to make sure your router is using the 5ghz channel and not the 2.4ghz.

Connect your PS4 to the 5ghz signal your router is using and u should get much better speeds.

Humdinger

There is no consensus. The answer will be an individual one and will depend on a variety of factors, such as:

- how much you play your PS4
- whether you own a 4K/HDR set
- how sensitive you are to modest visual upgrades and how much they matter to you
- how much spare change you have

Ferr986

First you have to make sure your router supports a 5ghz channel.

Then u have to make sure your router is using the 5ghz channel and not the 2.4ghz.

Connect your PS4 to the 5ghz signal your router is using and u should get much better speeds.

Thanks! Gonna try it. I thought that thing was automatic.

Shin-Ra

Firstly, you're better off testing with the www.speedtest.net HTML5 beta tool through the PS4 web browser.

Secondly, some routers default to combining 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi into one SSID/network name so you can't manually connect to one or the other unless there's an option in the router's settings.

eculley

Neo Member
After using the Xbox One S and my built in Netflix app on my TV, I can honestly say the PS4 Pro has phenomenal IQ compared to the two while in Netflix. For some reason HDR is not working correctly with my Xbox One S and my TV, but using my PS4, It looks incredible.

Really happy with this purchase, even without a 4k bluray player.

Ferr986

Firstly, you're better off testing with the www.speedtest.net HTML5 beta tool through the PS4 web browser.

Secondly, some routers default to combining 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi into one SSID/network name so you can't manually connect to one or the other unless there's an option in the router's settings.

Thanks!

Just read that my router doesn't support 5Ghz :( Sucks, considering it's fairly new (it's the one my ISP gave me when I got 300MB fiber, but I guess they give cheap routers).

Mojoraisin

I preordered one on Amazon when they went up. A few weeks ago I tried to cancel via their website but it continually gave me an error. I chatted with a customer service agent who canceled the order. But I got a shipping notification the other day as well as the charge on my credit card. I emailed them and they had records of the chat, apologized, refunded my credit card and told me to keep the Pro. So, score!

Looking forward to trying out another playthrough of The Last of Us and continuing on Hitman. Was Rocket League ever announced to have a pro patch?

Haha, wtf!

For such an expensive product, that is just amazing, congrats! Doubt this is regular procedure. :)

dano1

A Sheep
Has anyone had the Pro not displaying a signal upon bootup? Either with the TV off or on? This has happened about six or more times since my wife and I got the system. The system turns on and our TV says no signal. Unplugging the power cable, plugging it back in and then turning the system on fixes this issue. I don't think its a crash because the system doesn't check the harddrive once the systems displays a signal.

Only once. Probably took 40 seconds to display a picture

Just needs one of those stability updates...

My attempt to be a smart shopper and save $40 on a Pro has me waiting for it to ship to the local Target by Friday.

Best Buy had plenty of Pros available, and I keep telling myself a few days of waiting is fine since I'm keeping the OG anyway and haven't gone 4K yet, but it's only slightly comforting.

Spitz

Finally my Pro arrived after DHL did not deliver it since Thursday. Now the Pro is broken i get blue flashes on screen tried Uncharted and Infamous and 2 HDMI cables. Seems like broken memory on a gfx card. :(

ta155

Loving the improvements to the games I've tried on this so far. Hitman looks great, just a shame that the texture loading issue persists, and Ratchet looks seriously incredible.

Looking to upgrade the hard drive now, especially with Watch Dogs, Skyrim and CoD all in my sights. Amazon seem to be out of stock of pretty much everything. Will this work in a Pro? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/internal-data-storage/seagate-stbd2000102-2-5-internal-hard-drive-2-tb-10144016-pdt.html

GazzaGSi

Quick question about your pics, did you capture them in PNG 4K format on the PS4 then downsampled them through the host when uploading? I added afew to the thread earlier and looked poor when full size. Thanks

TheExodu5

Banned
So do all future games need to support the Pro in some way? Or are some games still going to release without any Pro enhancements whatsoever? Mainly wondering with regards to Persona 5.

Top Bottom