• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

mauaus

I've been extremely disappointed by Pro so far. Skyrim, RoTR running like shit in their 4K efforts. Infamous being distractingly, overly dark...

Let me just say: Thank Insomniac for Ratchet. Seriously. What a joy that has been.

And Battlefield sounds like it's a success -- need to try that. And VR.

IW sounds pretty good too, have yet to play it!

Why didn't Sony bundle any game with the Pro?
The reveal of Pro was weak and they could of at least threw in a game to entice people

Every single Xbox S came bundled with a game except the 2TB on.

Bad on Sonys part
the console is $400...it can sell by itself for now, bundles will come later it just launched. X1 is literally just a Xbox one with a new design and updated drive

Wallach

Ratchet & Clank with HDR on... The last console I bought was a Wii U and I didn't know video games could look this good. It's absurd!

Seriously. Everyone in the industry needs to get on whatever they are doing with this "temporal injection" stuff because the IQ is straight up stupid for something that isn't native 4K. Skyrim currently runs worse than R&C and sure as hell isn't doing any better in the IQ department for being native.

coopolon

Seriously. Everyone in the industry needs to get on whatever they are doing with this "temporal injection" stuff because the IQ is straight up stupid for something that isn't native 4K. Skyrim currently runs worse than R&C and sure as hell isn't doing any better in the IQ department for being native.

Their hdr is incredible, I'm not sure how much the resolution is helping but my god the colors. Just sad this might well be the best use of hdr until spiderman.

viHuGi

Banned
The reveal of Pro was weak and they could of at least threw in a game to entice people

Bad on Sonys part

Because it does not matter for them since they want to make money out of it and Slim will be the main driver for sales anyway, you will get great bundles there.

viHuGi

Banned

Insomniacs are ahead of the game right now, their IQ is absolutely unbelievable, can't wait for Spidey.

SOLDIER

A lot of TV threads have kind of derailed with a lot of unnecessary chatter and arguments.

As a new OLED owner, I would like to know if these are the optimal settings to use on the PS4 side.

KMUVHeT.jpg

I'm still tinkering around with the TV settings itself, but it would be nice to know that everything is setup properly on the PS4 end.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A lot of TV threads have kind of derailed with a lot of unnecessary chatter and arguments.

As a new OLED owner, I would like to know if these are the optimal settings to use on the PS4 side.

KMUVHeT.jpg

I'm still tinkering around with the TV settings itself, but it would be nice to know that everything is setup properly on the PS4 end.

You're good to go. 2160p HDR is the best PS4 Pro can do for non HDR games. If the game supports HDR and you have it set to automatic, the Pro will automatically roll to 2160p YUV.

SOLDIER

You're good to go. 2160p HDR is the best PS4 Pro can do for non HDR games. If the game supports HDR and you have it set to automatic, the Pro will automatically roll to 2160p YUV.

Thanks, glad to hear it.

I'm pretty much satisfied with how the OLED looks now, but what I ideally want is a brighter and more colorful picture that doesn't involve cranking the brightness up so that it whites out things it isn't supposed to. For example, I'm playing World of Final Fantasy and using Tama (and all-white fox) as a reference. If her mouth is obscured, then I have to tinker further.

I plan to watch some anime soon and see if that can help further with the tinkering.

On the subject, is YouTube 4K working on the Pro? If I select a 4K video it'll play it in 4K automatically?

KMUVHeT.jpg

Everyone in here told me to use auto for the resolution

Other than that the rest looks good

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watch Dogs 2 on the Pro is glorious (1080p). Runs smooth, looks great. At least in the couple of hours I've played.

Boke1879

Bad on Sonys part

eh the console is $400 and is being billed as a premium option. It can sell on it's own just fine for now. It also seems they want the Slim to be the go to model right now. It's probably making them the most profit.

But I wouldn't be shocked if next year you see the Pro take priority in the fall. They'll have the Uncharted 4 slim but it'll be reduced in price but they'll most likely have bundles for the Pro versions of games.

I've been extremely disappointed by Pro so far. Skyrim, RoTR running like shit in their 4K efforts. Infamous being distractingly, overly dark...

Let me just say: Thank Insomniac for Ratchet. Seriously. What a joy that has been.

And Battlefield sounds like it's a success -- need to try that. And VR.

Yeah Ratchet has really stood out for me just as an onlooker. Tools of Destruction was the last Ratchet game I played and I'm looking forward to playing something similar on PS4 Pro

As for BF1, frame rate is boosted but it looks very soft.

Nice and thanks. Awesome to see another fan. Great show for sure.

Yeah, always glad to see another who really liked it.

So - regarding the black crush problem on inFAMOUS that myself and some other people are having, I got an email response back from Sucker Punch regarding the issue:

"Dear
Thank you! We at Sucker Punch are constantly striving to improve our quality and integration with the gaming community, and your report will help us do that.

We would like to inform that we investigated the brightness issue that surfaced after the PS4 Pro patch, we successfully determined the cause, and we are currently working on a new patch that will expose the legacy brightness/contrast behavior, as a user choice. Our goal is that, by doing this, we will be able to accommodate the different brightness behaviors we are observing, depending on the brand and model of the TV being used.

We are finalizing the new code, and should have this new patch ready soon.

Thank you for your support!
Sucker Punch Team"

So basically another patch is coming that should fix things for those affected. Really pleased at the quick response, I loved my First Light playthrough even with the black crush (I played with my TV settings to improve the issue, but it didn't completely fix it) so a complete fix would probably prompt me to replay it (and Second Son) again as the improved frame rate is such a big improvement for the game for me.

That's great news, good work Sucker Punch.

Here are the games I've tried in 4K so far:
Shadow of Mordor
Dramatically noticeable level of clarity in 4K for the entire picture. Everything looks super sharp, even in the background. Lots of detail throughout.

Cool, I should throw this in for a bit, even just to see it.

Synless

I think something like that never happens to a console it's very weird, maybe was an accident and tries to looks as sony fault? lol
That person very clearly did that themself. People have tested the area and there is little to no heat produced in that area.

Chaplain

Change automatic login, so that when you press X on your controller, it logs in to your account instead of console power up going straight to the main menu. When you do that, the console decides to redo the handshake. I'm not sure if this is the solution for your problem, but it's a solution to mine. I own a Vizio btw.

Changing automatic login to login automatically fixed this problem. Thank you!

So - regarding the black crush problem on inFAMOUS that myself and some other people are having, I got an email response back from Sucker Punch regarding the issue:

"Dear
Thank you! We at Sucker Punch are constantly striving to improve our quality and integration with the gaming community, and your report will help us do that.

We would like to inform that we investigated the brightness issue that surfaced after the PS4 Pro patch, we successfully determined the cause, and we are currently working on a new patch that will expose the legacy brightness/contrast behavior, as a user choice. Our goal is that, by doing this, we will be able to accommodate the different brightness behaviors we are observing, depending on the brand and model of the TV being used.

We are finalizing the new code, and should have this new patch ready soon.

Thank you for your support!
Sucker Punch Team"

So basically another patch is coming that should fix things for those affected. Really pleased at the quick response, I loved my First Light playthrough even with the black crush (I played with my TV settings to improve the issue, but it didn't completely fix it) so a complete fix would probably prompt me to replay it (and Second Son) again as the improved frame rate is such a big improvement for the game for me.

I was very worried that they will leave both games in this state but this is so good to hear. Right now it's a bittersweet experience, 60FPS is awesome, but black crush ruins it. Can't wait for the patches.

Ever since I got my Pro, my Spotify app doesn't respond to my controller at all once I start playing music. I have to hold the PS button and control it from there.

Only other thing I can do is hit the PS button and go back to the home screen and kill the app and start over.

Anyone else experiencing this?

j-wood

I have a question about infamous. I'm playing on a pro on a 1080p set.

I have an option for unlimited frame rate, and then a higher resolution or better frame rate setting.

Is better frame rate basically the game with OG PS4 graphics, but better frame rate?

Why wouldn't I just do higher resolution (which I'm assuming is downsampled) and unlimited frame rate?

Wallach

Pro version of Watch Dogs 2 performance worse than PS4, sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSDGkH8flA

I'm definitely in a "no day 1 purchases" kind of mode with my Pro right now. The benefits are awesome when fully utilized, but I'm not paying for any game that has a worse framerate than the base PS4 on the Pro. They were supposed to have a fucking cert that covered this, they need to be much more rigorous about enforcing it.

MchugN

Very happy with my purchase. Been playing BF1, Titanfall 2, TLOU, and Ratchet & Clank. There's no doubt the Pro is a step up from the OG PS4, these games look excellent on my 4K display. Can't say I'm happy with my HDR so I mostly leave it off on the titles that support it.

I'm compelled to get Tomb Raider even though I have it on Xbox one. I need to stop spending money! I'm scared to figure out how much I've spent on PSVR, PS Pro, and all these games. Dammit Sony!

Anyone know if tomorrow's BF1 update will be adding any more Pro features?

KMUVHeT.jpg

As long as you are sure your TV is at RGB Full, then yes your settings are okay. I'd put resolution to automatic though. The PS4 Pro will handle between switching 2160p YUV and 2160p RGB appropriately.

More importantly, can I see a screen grab of your video output information page?:

Ricky_R

Is the performance hit in some games when downsampled to 1080p or is it mostly when it's doing the checkerboard upscale?

Or it is the same on both?

I have an option for unlimited frame rate, and then a higher resolution or better frame rate setting.

Is better frame rate basically the game with OG PS4 graphics, but better frame rate?

Why wouldn't I just do higher resolution (which I'm assuming is downsampled) and unlimited frame rate?

It's a matter of preference. If you're like me, there's no reason to go unlocked, because a stable 30 fps with SSAA is much better than "not so much 60 fps".

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
When did you get an update if you don't mind me asking?

Did you notice any screen-tearing or slow downs?

When I booted it up for the first time today, was a 200 mb update. Ver 1.02. No screen tearing, no slowdowns (yet at least). I can only speak from my own experience but I haven't had any issues.

SOLDIER

As long as you are sure your TV is at RGB Full, then yes your settings are okay. I'd put resolution to automatic though. The PS4 Pro will handle between switching 2160p YUV and 2160p RGB appropriately.

More importantly, can I see a screen grab of your video output information page?:

Here's what it says:

Resolution 3840x2160-60 Hz

Color Format YUV422

HDR on your TV 2K/4K Supported

HDCP 2.2

Also here are my current settings on the OLED:

First, here are the settings under HDR:

Picture Mode: HDR Bright (User)

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 70
Sharpness: 40
Color: 65
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: C3

Dynamic Contrast: High
Dynamic Color: High
Color Gamut: Wide
Super Resolution: High
Gamma: Medium

Picture Options are all Off, Black Level is Low.

Here they are with HDR off:

Picture Mode: ISF Expert (Bright Room)

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 70
H Sharpness: 40
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super REsolution: High
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 1.9

I'm mostly satisfied with how things look so far, but I wish the panel was a little brighter. Setting Brightness higher than 70 just washes everything out.

Here's a strange thing: when I open up the settings menu, the screen actually lights up the way I want it too; the picture not obscured by the settings menu gets noticeably brighter and poppier when the menu is up, but then reverts when I close it.

How can I make it so that it's got the same brightness as when the settings menu is up?

Smo21

Would be preference and game based. I'm on a 1080p screen so for me if it's a fast paced twitch game I might pick the frame rate. Slower paced game or RPG, give me graphics.

i just got the vertical stand in the mail.

debating if i should install it or keep it flat due to the location of the fan.

anyone here attach the slim/pro stand on theirs?

I've got a 6 year old high end Sony TV. I didn't change my picture settings when switching to the Pro. Should I? Is there a game with a good calibration screen to set it with?

So can anyone answer me this question? It may sound dumb, but...

Will 4K always be the better choice vs. 1080p and downsampling?

Will 4K have 'less jaggies' and better clarity/IQ than going for a 1080p downsampled mode instead?

For those that have jumped between both, is the difference striking enough to warrant buying a 4K set now?

farisr

So can anyone answer me this question? It may sound dumb, but...

Will 4K always be the better choice vs. 1080p and downsampling?

Will 4K have 'less jaggies' and better clarity/IQ than going for a 1080p downsampled mode instead?
I asked the same question a while ago and was told that 4k is the way to go.

Top Bottom