• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

spwolf

So can anyone answer me this question? It may sound dumb, but...

Will 4K always be the better choice vs. 1080p and downsampling?

Will 4K have 'less jaggies' and better clarity/IQ than going for a 1080p downsampled mode instead?

For those that have jumped between both, is the difference striking enough to warrant buying a 4K set now?

yes, it will be cleaner and sharper...i also assume that good HDR implementation is also what would make the difference between good 4K set and 1080p set.

I am asking myself same question right now, i guess stores should have pro displays with 4K tvs soon enough.

i just got the vertical stand in the mail.

debating if i should install it or keep it flat due to the location of the fan.

anyone here attach the slim/pro stand on theirs?
I've got my Pro on the stand. One interesting thing to note is that the bottom of the PS4 doesn't sit flush against the surface it's resting on when using the official stand, it's elevated very slightly (presumably for airflow), apart from where it connects to the stand baseplate. I quite like that.

T-0800

Is UC4 mp 1080p on Pro? I just played it and the resolution looks much better.

Edit - Found out that it is. Thought so.

III-V

Even checkerboard 4K on TR is so clean and detailed its amazing every time I see it, I just wish they had implemented HDR. This game is a stunner.

Halp!

I downloaded and opened Netflix but I'm getting "Cannot be displayed because your tv doesn't support hdcp 2.2 or some bullshit. I have a Sammy Plasma from 2010 and a newer Denon X4200W.

I'm running 1080p but res is set to Automatic.

I can't get into Netflix, had no problems on PS4 OG.

Edit: Oh is that what that one thread was about? I think I fixed it.

aett

My Pro is arriving two days early, and I'm psyched. I was thinking of having it vertical instead of horizontal, like my first PS4. That will let it be somewhere with better airflow (and further out of my baby's reach). But I'm seeing stuff about the vertical stand being worse for overheating and I would like that clarified, if possible.

If the vertical stand is totally fine, is there a specific type I need to get for the Pro?

My Pro is arriving two days early, and I'm psyched. I was thinking of having it vertical instead of horizontal, like my first PS4. That will let it be somewhere with better airflow (and further out of my baby's reach). But I'm seeing stuff about the vertical stand being worse for overheating and I would like that clarified, if possible.

If the vertical stand is totally fine, is there a specific type I need to get for the Pro?
Yeah it's the new official one for the Slim and Pro. It mentions them both by their model designations on the box. The box contains the base plate and two adaptor plates (one for each type of console).

DBT85

Pro version of Watch Dogs 2 performance worse than PS4, sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSDGkH8flA

So running at 1800p with checkerboarding.

The Pro version seems to be having tearing and dropped frames, down form the fairly stabple PS4 30fps to 27 or 28.

It does look however a fairly consistent issue, so hopefully its just a case of making the tweak to fix it.

They did praise draw distance, the overall look, etc. But its lots of alpha effects causing the bulk of the problems, which they attribute to memory bandwidth.

madmackem

So running at 1800p with checkerboarding.

The Pro version seems to be having tearing and dropped frames, down form the fairly stabple PS4 30fps to 27 or 28.

It does look however a fairly consistent issue, so hopefully its just a case of making the tweak to fix it.

They did praise draw distance, the overall look, etc. But its lots of alpha effects causing the bulk of the problems, which they attribute to memory bandwidth.
Yeah not ideal but a massive pixel boost and lod boost etc, few drops I'm sure they will sort the odd frame drop out with a patch.

I have a question. If I play a game that has Pro enhanced features, like better graphics, texturing, etc. - not necessarily HDR lighting - will I be able to see those graphical improvements on a high-end 1080p Samsung TV?

Sorry if this question is considered inane or dumb lol!

DBT85

I have a question. If I play a game that has Pro enhanced features, like better graphics, texturing, etc. - not necessarily HDR lighting - will I be able to see those graphical improvements on a high-end 1080p Samsung TV?

Sorry if this question is considered inane or dumb lol!

Yes. If its rendering above 1080 you'll also get a clean image thanks to supersampling.

DBT85

My buddy says his Pro is hair dryer loud. How the fuck did Sony not fix this?

As always, its not consistent, which suggest either the fans being used or some APUs requiring a higher voltage than others to hit the specs which is perfectly normal. If you get lucky with a low voltage chip and a quiet fan you're golden.

Yeah it clearly isnt consistent as mine is quieter than my OG PS4 (which i still have).

Been really impressed so far. My 4k tv is only 40" and while its suble, 4k mode definitely looks nicer and even in infamous im choosong that over faster frame rate 1080p (which i never thought i would do). Details just pop out and looks so crisp. Its more obvious when moving as the shimmer is pretty much gone.

Haines

Banned
Took 3 days but finally got all my settings sorted.

The last setting I finally needed to learn was that I needed dynamic contrast to medium on my Samsung ks8000 to make up for the hdr dimness.

Now the tv looks absolutely flicking insane. Hdr is amazing. It's like there's real light on my tv. So cool.

The resolution bump is what I've craved this gen. Finally a clear picture!!

No more settings tinkering. Time to Game!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've noticed that my OG PS4 is making a lot of sound recently, mainly when I play games like FFXV demo. What's going on?

Haines

Banned
I'm kind of shocked to see everyone still talking about noise levels.

I can here the fan going on mine right now. I don't care. It's like white noise.

There's so much more interesting things....

I just popped in the stealth mission on uncharted and seeing the spot lights look like real beams of light...

Purchase so worth it.

Just got a pro after trading in my 6 month old ps4.
Is there no 20% off Psn coupon anymore? I got one with my Cod ps4 as well as the original launch ed.

Piichan

Banned

I can here the fan going on mine right now. I don't care. It's like white noise.
I don't quite understand either. I play with headphones, and can only hear the game audio. Even without headphones, regular speakers are surely still louder than the PS4 Pro fan noise?

kyser73

After a 6 hour TR session my Pro was as quiet as when I switched it on, so I reckon there must be some severe variance in QA.

Loving my Pro BTW - am having fun switching between modes, altho I have to say its disappointing to still see some shimmer on this...game is great though, really loving it despite the appalling writing and VA...UC4 spoiled me on that front!

buenoblue

Can someone check uncharted 4 2160p vs 1080p on a 4k tv for me please. On my ks7000 2160p looks soft where as 1080p looks pin sharp. Maybe downsampling from 1440p to 1080 then letting tv upscale is better than letting ps4 pro upscale internally.

DieH@rd

Banned
Man .. holy fucking shit .. Infinite Warfare Pro looks *SOO GOOD* on a 4K Panel. There's literally no signs of aliasing at all, the resolution, IQ, everything looks amazing.

Here's some downsampled to 1080p pics.

Pro tip, turn off visual prompt for screenshots. It really serves no purpose since you are already hearing the audio cue.

Bebpo

Banned

I've never noticed sound in any consoles before, and my PS4 OG is silent. But yeah, the Pro has a light whistle going. I'm not sure if it's the fans or disc drive since I was installing stuff off discs at max read speed. Will see over time. It's not bad and I don't notice it if there's any sound playing, but when it's silent can definitely hear it. Bit of a shame.

DBT85

Can someone check uncharted 4 2160p vs 1080p on a 4k tv for me please. On my ks7000 2160p looks soft where as 1080p looks pin sharp. Maybe downsampling from 1440p to 1080 then letting tv upscale is better than letting ps4 pro upscale internally.

Strange, every other report I've seen is just people amazed at how well the Pro upscales compared to their TV.

I assume you're testing this by limiting the Pro output to 1080?

Upscaling from 1440 should definitely look better than 1080.

A 1080 screenshot of your 1080 output anda 2160 screenshot of your 2160 output would be useful.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Last night I booted up Bully (Canis Canem Edit) PS2 classic on my Pro. On the standard PS4 there was always frame rate slowdown when cycling under the tunnel to the Fairground. In a totally non scientific test, I did not experience this slowdown on the Pro. So I wonder if Sony have allow PS2 games to run with some Pro resources unlocked without a patch?

It was obviously non scientific, it could be that I only noticed slowdown in the game during certain seasons (e.g. winter when there was fog) but I'm pretty sure it used to do it all the time. Anyway, I'll be interested to see if they have or will allow PS2 games to run better on the Pro.

Getting a weird issue with Overwatch. Slight flickering when looking through the base doors in the beginning before the match starts in Nepal.
Somewhat off-topic but is there any enhancement for overwatch on ps pro? Does the framerate still dip when you self destruct in the middle of the square/marketplace in dorado?

jfoul

Anybody know if a white, or blue version of the Pro/Slim DS4 is available? I can't go back to the original controllers. The build quality, and battery life are just too good compared to the original controllers.

ugh, second time already the import data from my old PS4 has just crashed mid-transfer...

really nice waiting 12 hours for it to just pop an error message that results in the device just resetting to factory defaults again...

Top Bottom