• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

So I've had my PS4 pro for like a week almost now and haven't been using it much, but how exactly do pro patches work? Do I have to choose to use the pro boosts or does it just automatically work when I'm playing a game with a pro patch?

For patched games, I think it's automatic. Except a few games will let you pick what benefits you get (e.g., higher framerate vs. better visuals).

KodaRuss

Anyone else concerned about the heat that the Pro puts out?

I have mine in a fairly small shelf that the front stays open. I used usb fans with the regular PS4 because it would just get too hot in there. I was hoping I wouldnt have to do that with the Pro but I definitely will need to I believe.

I might cut holes for the fans out of the back of the shelf and have the fans face the rear of the shelf to get the heat out quicker.

Games automatically detect the system they're playing on, so you don't need to worry about it. Some offer additional visual options to choose between different presets emphasizing resolution, frame rate, or other visual touches but every option you see take advantage of the Pro in some way.

For patched games, I think it's automatic. Except a few games will let you pick what benefits you get (e.g., higher framerate vs. better visuals).

Thank you! And the patches automatically download right? I don't remember any of the games I installed onto my pro getting a special patch but then again I wasn't paying too much attention so I might have missed them.

Just picked my ps4 pro up last night and played a few matches of Battlefield and the difference was very apparent. I have a 75 inch 4k tv, and with game mode enabled, the visual fidelity can noticeably take a dip. With the pro, the image quality is far far better than the original. I am really happy with it so far.

Iorv3th

Anyone?

I've noticed this with all games now... can it be that I moved the PS4 from a table to inside the media glass-door? Like, it has small breathing room but is this why the fans are going crazy? It's too hot for it?

If it's inside a media cabinet it is going to be hotter. So yeah the fans going to blow harder. But it's still going to struggle with heat.

Nice speed. Well I'm not sure what else it could be, like I said, all my other stuff has no problem getting 60-70Mbps easily but my Pro is not having it for some reason, I guess I will have to stick to the 2.4ghz Wi-fi and 15-20Mbps until I can find a better solution.

Even on 2.4 you should be getting better speed than that. Seems like maybe the location of your PS4 is for some reason getting very weak signal strength.

Anyone else concerned about the heat that the Pro puts out?

I have mine in a fairly small shelf that the front stays open. I used usb fans with the regular PS4 because it would just get too hot in there. I was hoping I wouldnt have to do that with the Pro but I definitely will need to I believe.

I might cut holes for the fans out of the back of the shelf and have the fans face the rear of the shelf to get the heat out quicker.
Surprisingly my pro has been quiet, it's like a world of difference compared to my launch PS4. And the wifi 5ghz speed have been better than I expected.
Thank you! And the patches automatically download right? I don't remember any of the games I installed onto my pro getting a special patch but then again I wasn't paying too much attention so I might have missed them.
It's just regular update patch no need to worry, certain games got options in the menu. For instance: TLOU and First Light.

GazzaGSi

Don't suppose anyone has tested a Pro in remote play with PSTV? I know the Vita doesn't support 1080p resolution due it's screen but wondered if PSTV got a bump in resolution during remote play like the phones/tablets/computers that support it.

Dunlop

Anyone else concerned about the heat that the Pro puts out?.

I actually swapped places with my old PS4 location and my center channel speaker because of this.

The PS4 Pro is now in a open area, the hot are being blown out when I had it in the partially enclosed space was a huge difference from the OG PS4

Did anyone try remote play with a PC or Mac ? how is it compared the the original PS4 ?

I know i had problems with it on regular PS4 and just stopped using it. Just want to know if it's better with the Pro ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wish ubi went back and made a Pro patch for AC Unity :(

Even after all the 8GB patches, the game is *still* a glitchy mess. Character never jumps in the direction I want them to, there's random frame drops when climbing and I've run into a good many visual bugs like NPC's walking through things, vertically walking upward etc.

daveo42

Banned
Anyone with an LG OLED have decent base settings? I did do some of the quick changes recommended by rtngs, though game mode and HDR mode seem to change them wildly. I mostly game in a darker room btw.

Thanks!

KodaRuss

Surprisingly my pro has been quiet, it's like a world of difference compared to my launch PS4. And the wifi 5ghz speed have been better than I expected.

My Pro seems to get louder faster than the original. I will agree that the wifi is much improved.

I actually swapped places with my old PS4 location and my center channel speaker because of this.

The PS4 Pro is now in a open area, the hot are being blown out when I had it in the partially enclosed space was a huge difference from the OG PS4

My Pro got pretty dang after only an hour or so playing Titanfall 2. I dont really have a place to put it in an open area at the moment.

DBT85

It is 1440p. But you can still choose to output ps4 pro in various resolutions. If I change output in ps4 pro settings to 1080p ,to let tv upscale, it looks noticeably sharper than output to 2160p.

I'd love to help your question as I said earlier, but my TV arrived bent :-(.

mXrz14b.jpg

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Rayman Legends looks amazing in 4K!!!! It doesn't even have a Pro patch and the game looks stunning on my LG 4K set!!!

Even on 2.4 you should be getting better speed than that. Seems like maybe the location of your PS4 is for some reason getting very weak signal strength.

Yeah thats whats puzzling me, PS4 Pro is saying the Wi-Fi signal strength is around 94%, I guess I might have to get one of those homeplugs and go wired.

sasliquid

Little annoyed HDR won't be on BF1 this week since it was going to be the first game I played. Any other lookers with HDR support? I've already played Uncharted, R&C, TLOU and Infamous

DBT85

Wooow.....where that any damages to the box before opening?

None at all.

Is that a Sony TV?
Yep. 55XD93.

Apparently bent sets aren't unheard of, but usually it's bent along the top, not up the sides. In a 3500 post thread on avforums they seem quite shocked lol.

Currys hopefully bringing a new on on Thursday.

I sent a tweet to Sony UK and they replied back saying they hope it gets fixed. I'll be doing the same again if it happens again in the hope of free stuff lol.

Was so looking forward to 4k HDR Ratchet too :-(.

Having a weird issue with my pro.

I get sound at the sign in screen, but once I sign in the sound cuts out. Sound comes back again when I launch games.

Tried 3 different hdmi cables and an optical cable and same thing. No idea what's up.

I have a hunch this was asked already... but can anyone speak to the enhancements for PlayStation VR when using the Pro? This is probably one of the biggest deciding factors...

Kyrios

Having a weird issue with my pro.

I get sound at the sign in screen, but once I sign in the sound cuts out. Sound comes back again when I launch games.

Tried 3 different hdmi cables and an optical cable and same thing. No idea what's up.

Sounds like a handshaking issue with your TV and Pro

Check on a different TV if you can.

Kremzeek

not really, loading times are also quicker on pro than OG Ps4 on both Black Ops 3 and Cod4R.

Loading up Overwatch last night- load times were definitely faster than OGPS4. The characters loaded noticeably quicker.

I think my teleports load about 2 seconds faster in FF14 too...

Lady Gaia

It is 1440p. But you can still choose to output ps4 pro in various resolutions. If I change output in ps4 pro settings to 1080p ,to let tv upscale, it looks noticeably sharper than output to 2160p.

To my eye it looks "sharper" in the same sense that a sharpening filter makes something look higher contrast but sacrifices image quality in the process (and indeed, I get similar results by just turning up sharpening on my display.) I can't say I'm a huge fan of the 1080p presentation because it looks more artificial as a result, but everyone has their own preferences. There's nothing wrong with enjoying it in whatever form you prefer.

RetroMG

Question for those who have both a PS4 and a PS4 Pro - Can you sync the saves between the two consoles with PS Plus?

I'm thinking about buying a Pro before Persona 5 comes out, and putting the Pro in my office and taking the PS4 out to my living room. Would I be able to play my game on both?

5taquitos

Question for those who have both a PS4 and a PS4 Pro - Can you sync the saves between the two consoles with PS Plus?

I'm thinking about buying a Pro before Persona 5 comes out, and putting the Pro in my office and taking the PS4 out to my living room. Would I be able to play my game on both?

You'll have to manually trigger the upload and download I believe.

Flunkie

Banned
So I backed up to external and transferred over to the 2TB I had in my regular PS4. Everything, especially menus even when not even in a game, lags just as bad as the regular PS4. I thought the Pro would fix this for sure. Could it just be the hard drive? Or is it likely something with the build of my image being wonky from my original PS4? I've rebuilt database and it doesn't work at all.

dacalo

Yessss, I was debating whether to pick one up and just saw one at Amazon warehouse for $299 and picked it up. Won't ship until 11/23 though, argh.

EL CUCO

Yes. Its no different from having two regular PS4's. Upload from primary PS4 to cloud, download from cloud to other PS4.

Question for you Pro owners. Does the PS4 Pro offer enhancements for recording/streaming? Say I wanted to stream to my PC, does it stream at 720p like the PS4 or can it stream at 1080p?

Top Bottom