• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Lima

ugh, second time already the import data from my old PS4 has just crashed mid-transfer...

really nice waiting 12 hours for it to just pop an error message that results in the device just resetting to factory defaults again...

How on earth is is taking you 12 hours to transfer your data? Do you even 1gbit bro?

Lima

clock actually said 19 hours to transfer 750gb's of data, had to leave it running overnight.

I transferred over 800GB in like 85 minutes. You should check if your router supports 1gbit Ethernet or maybe you are using an old switch that only supports 100mbit.

Cappa

Banned
I transferred over 800GB in like 85 minutes. You should check if your router supports 1gbit Ethernet or maybe you are using an old switch that only supports 100mbit.

Some website reported they had the same issue, they cancelled the transfer, did it again, and then it said only 1 hour left or something.

Actually never occurred to me as my router is fairly new. And it indeed was only 100Mb :E pulled out my old one from the closet and that is 1Gb, will see if this faster transfer would work or if there is some corrupt data on there anyways that causes the crash.

Thanks for the tip :D

Dunlop

How on earth is is taking you 12 hours to transfer your data? Do you even 1gbit bro?

Before trading my PS4 in I tried to upload about 300mb of saves to the cloud and my ETA was 8 hours and climbing, I let it run for about 1 hour hoping the time would drop and in the end just cancelled

My internet speed is 50/50mbps

Naar

I was looking around and saw there are 2 versions of the evo SSD.

A regular version and a pro version. What I understood was the difference is in longevity of the read/write of the SSD

The regular is 150 TBW (terrabytes written) the pro is 300 TBW

As someone who plays a lot of games and everything is digital (and games now have huge patches) and plan to play the pro for at least 3 more years (until the PS5 is out) do you think 150 TBW is enough to last me that long? I average buying 1-2 games a month

I've got my Pro on the stand. One interesting thing to note is that the bottom of the PS4 doesn't sit flush against the surface it's resting on when using the official stand, it's elevated very slightly (presumably for airflow), apart from where it connects to the stand baseplate. I quite like that.

cool thanks!

Oshimai

I've got my Pro on the stand. One interesting thing to note is that the bottom of the PS4 doesn't sit flush against the surface it's resting on when using the official stand, it's elevated very slightly (presumably for airflow), apart from where it connects to the stand baseplate. I quite like that.

How sturdy is the stand? I'm thinking about picking one up.

Harp

Can someone check uncharted 4 2160p vs 1080p on a 4k tv for me please. On my ks7000 2160p looks soft where as 1080p looks pin sharp. Maybe downsampling from 1440p to 1080 then letting tv upscale is better than letting ps4 pro upscale internally.

Does uncharted even have a 4k mode? I think it just renders at 1440p. There is no option to change resolution.

So I had to switch the display to HDCP 1.4 to get it to display at all on my TV, but I've not been able to figure out how to switch it back to 2.2 to test it out. I go into the display menu, and I see options for resolution, etc., but not HDCP. Any idea how to switch it? And yeah, my TV supports 2.2.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I had to switch the display to HDCP 1.4 to get it to display at all on my TV, but I've not been able to figure out how to switch it back to 2.2 to test it out. I go into the display menu, and I see options for resolution, etc., but not HDCP. Any idea how to switch it? And yeah, my TV supports 2.2.

Under screen settings on PS4, you can see what HDCP is currently outputting in the bottom option that describes your video output selections(helpful for clarity), but you can't actually change the HDCP as it is a security feature dependent on the connection chain not an adjustable setting. It defines what measure is being used during the handshake process over HDMI between your unit and the TV in essence.

Do you have PSVR hooked up? That only supports 1.4, so even if you had 2.2 directly connected to the console on the same input, once PSVR enters the chain, the signal is dropped to 1.4 regardless. This shouldn't affect 4K signals, but it will disrupt HDR. Try removing PSVR and directly connecting the console again in the same TV input and see if it goes to 2.2. If not, then you need to switch to a different HDMI input in your TV as some HDMI inputs support 2.2 and others 1.4. You may have to check the TV manual(or just trial and error) to find which HDMI input supports 2.2 on your TV, usually its the first and second ones though and the TV won't indicate them often.

Mifec

I just want everyone here to know that I kept pressing the eject button for a good 2 mins instead of the power button and thought I got a broken Pro for my cousin, I want you to know my shame.

Anyone had any problems with the Pro on 5ghz Wi-Fi ?

My connection is 76Mbps I can get between 60-72Mbps over 5ghz Wi-Fi from my PC and phones ect but my PS4 Pro in the same room, can only get around 5-8Mbps, yet if I change the Pro to 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi I can get around 15-20Mbps.

I have the usual PSN ports forwarded on my router and all my other and tried the Google DNS thing too. Is Wi-Fi just shit on the PS4 / PS4 Pro or is there anything else to try ? apart from the obvious going wired of course. :)

buenoblue

Does uncharted even have a 4k mode? I think it just renders at 1440p. There is no option to change resolution.

It is 1440p. But you can still choose to output ps4 pro in various resolutions. If I change output in ps4 pro settings to 1080p ,to let tv upscale, it looks noticeably sharper than output to 2160p.

Haines

Banned
I just want everyone here to know that I kept pressing the eject button for a good 2 mins instead of the power button and thought I got a broken Pro for my cousin, I want you to know my shame.

I have a hard time finding the buttons actually.

Why can't we just have big old buttons like we used to.

I thought the little white symbol was some polystyrene/fluff and kept trying to wipe it off.

Shin-Ra

Anyone had any problems with the Pro on 5ghz Wi-Fi ?

My connection is 76Mbps I can get between 60-72Mbps over 5ghz Wi-Fi from my PC and phones ect but my PS4 Pro in the same room, can only get around 5-8Mbps, yet if I change the Pro to 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi I can get around 15-20Mbps.

I have the usual PSN ports forwarded on my router and all my other and tried the Google DNS thing too. Is Wi-Fi just shit on the PS4 / PS4 Pro or is there anything else to try ? apart from the obvious going wired of course. :)
I don't think it's the WiFi, this is the speedtest I did last week on Pro - 5GHz.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5791455152

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone?
I've noticed that my OG PS4 is making a lot of sound recently, mainly when I play games like FFXV demo. What's going on?

I've noticed this with all games now... can it be that I moved the PS4 from a table to inside the media glass-door? Like, it has small breathing room but is this why the fans are going crazy? It's too hot for it?

Lady Gaia

Actually never occurred to me as my router is fairly new. And it indeed was only 100Mb :E pulled out my old one from the closet and that is 1Gb, will see if this faster transfer would work or if there is some corrupt data on there anyways that causes the crash.

Thanks for the tip :D

I don't see why people are getting routers and switches involved in the first place. Running an Ethernet cable specked for gigabit connection directly between the two consoles eliminates a bunch of variables and works like a charm so long as you have a WiFi connection for the trivial PSN part of the process.

Under screen settings on PS4, you can see what HDCP is currently outputting in the bottom option that describes your video output selections(helpful for clarity), but you can't actually change the HDCP as it is a security feature dependent on the connection chain not an adjustable setting. It defines what measure is being used during the handshake process over HDMI between your unit and the TV in essence.

Do you have PSVR hooked up? That only supports 1.4, so even if you had 2.2 directly connected to the console on the same input, once PSVR enters the chain, the signal is dropped to 1.4 regardless. This shouldn't affect 4K signals, but it will disrupt HDR. Try removing PSVR and directly connecting the console again in the same TV input and see if it goes to 2.2. If not, then you need to switch to a different HDMI input in your TV as some HDMI inputs support 2.2 and others 1.4. You may have to check the TV manual(or just trial and error) to find which HDMI input supports 2.2 on your TV, usually its the first and second ones though and the TV won't indicate them often.

Ok, so, I don't have PSVR. The issue was that I had no display to begin with when I initially plugged in the Pro, even though I could hear sound. I read that starting it in safe mode then changing to 1.4 HDCP would get it to display and it worked. Now I'm not really sure how to switch it back manually so I can test it out, other than perhaps restarting it in safe mode again.

Ferr986

I thought the little white symbol was some polystyrene/fluff and kept trying to wipe it off.

... glad to be I wasn't the only one.

Anyone?

I've noticed this with all games now... can it be that I moved the PS4 from a table to inside the media glass-door? Like, it has small breathing room but is this why the fans are going crazy? It's too hot for it?

As I said you on another post is it normal. FFXV is a taxing game and makes the PS4 runs hotter. My PS4 was also very noisy with FFXV.
louder with time, they get dustier inside so they get hotter. Of course, enclosing the console will always make the console rut hotter, and louder. Try it in an more open area.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
... glad to be I wasn't the only one.

As I said you on another post is it normal. FFXV is a taxing game and makes the PS4 runs hotter. My PS4 was also very noisy with FFXV.
louder with time, they get dustier inside so they get hotter. Of course, enclosing the console will always make the console rut hotter, and louder. Try it in an more open area.

Sorry, missed the post (I blame phone). Any way of cleaning the PS4 from the dust?

-griffy-

Banned
Reminder to anyone taking screenshots to switch to PNG instead of JPEG! Doing all the fancy stuff the Pro can do a huge disservice by posting badly compressed screenshots on websites that compress them even further.

Ferr986

Sorry, missed the post (I blame phone). Any way of cleaning the PS4 from the dust?

Well, best bet is to open it and clean it (you may need to reapply thermal paste too), but well, you have to know what you do.

Also I guess using a can of compressed air or vacumming (although I don't know if using a vacuum can give some problems with static charge build, so careful with that).

Pandacon

Got my Firecuda in last night, 30 hours to transfer 1.22TB of data. Oh well, at least I'm busy today and don't have time to play anything anyhow.

DPtheGod

Hey guys, is it true this bad boy heats up pretty bad really fast? Most times my ps4 is on 1-3 hrs, but on rare instances I sometimes game for ~5 hrs. How bad is the heating up?

Got my Firecuda in last night, 30 hours to transfer 1.22TB of data. Oh well, at least I'm busy today and don't have time to play anything anyhow.

Holy crap. Is that via a external drive?

icespide

Banned
Hey guys, is it true this bad boy heats up pretty bad really fast? Most times my ps4 is on 1-3 hrs, but on rare instances I sometimes game for ~5 hrs. How bad is the heating up?
I played it basically all day on Saturday and the heat seemed fine to me. No hotter than my OG PS4

Thorzilla

Damn! My Pro is stuck in customs at the moment for clearing. UPS said it's no big deal and that it's standard procedure, so I'll believe them. Well, at least it made it here sooner than expected! Amazon said it would arrive the 22nd and here I am, expecting delivery today. Bless Express International Shipping!

Arthur-Hucksake

Neo Member
Nice speed. Well I'm not sure what else it could be, like I said, all my other stuff has no problem getting 60-70Mbps easily but my Pro is not having it for some reason, I guess I will have to stick to the 2.4ghz Wi-fi and 15-20Mbps until I can find a better solution.

Check the channels / mode you have setup on your router.

Also enable AC if it's supported. The router is where your issue will be.

Anung

Un Rama
There's someone saying in the BF1 thread that the recent patch might have turned off pro features. Hope someone (DF or NXG) looks into this.

So I've had my PS4 pro for like a week almost now and haven't been using it much, but how exactly do pro patches work? Do I have to choose to use the pro boosts or does it just automatically work when I'm playing a game with a pro patch?

Lady Gaia

So I've had my PS4 pro for like a week almost now and haven't been using it much, but how exactly do pro patches work? Do I have to choose to use the pro boosts or does it just automatically work when I'm playing a game with a pro patch?

Games automatically detect the system they're playing on, so you don't need to worry about it. Some offer additional visual options to choose between different presets emphasizing resolution, frame rate, or other visual touches but every option you see take advantage of the Pro in some way.

Top Bottom