• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Shin-Ra

Completed the Infinite Warfare campaign now and apart from the occasional low res texture or shadow, it's really quite spectacular what they pulled off at such a solid 60fps and crisp image quality.

Jedi2016

My old PS4 decided it had been idle too long and that it should go to sleep... right in the middle of the goddamn system transfer. It didn't fuck anything up, but I did have to restart it (with fewer things being transferred, so it hopefully finishes faster). Now I have to sit here and make sure it doesn't do anything else stupid.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Well anyone with the revised ds4 for ps4 pro and slim would have only had the controllers for like a month tops lol

They changed the stick material awhile back and there seem to be way less reports. Although the stick material between by UC4 and PS4P DS4 is different. The PS4P one seems closer to my launch controller and is softer and more grippy. The UC4 seem like a harder plastic that has less grip.

With that being said...my launch DS4 never tore. It got worn slightly but that was over 3 years of use.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My old PS4 decided it had been idle too long and that it should go to sleep... right in the middle of the goddamn system transfer. It didn't fuck anything up, but I did have to restart it (with fewer things being transferred, so it hopefully finishes faster). Now I have to sit here and make sure it doesn't do anything else stupid.

Wow. Mine literally took 25 hours to transfer 1tb of data through my router to complete. Left it on overnight and throughout work the next day before it finally completed, but it did complete. That sucks it broke during the process for you. I would be miffed if I had got home after 20+ hours away from the consoles to be welcomed by what you witnessed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Man, you've got to get on the PNG game. Compression is hampering the beauty.

Please use png instead of jpeg (you can set it in the ps4 menu). The compression is horrible.
p6wRpL8.jpg

cYr5pQK.jpg

te2ylQZ.jpg
I didn't even know there was a PNG option.

Bebpo

Banned
Tried out the games I have (just 1st party mostly since I have a good 4k gaming PC for 3rd party):

Last of Us - Looks fantastic, great upgrade
Uncharted 4 - Very nice upgrade on an already gorgeous game. If they can get more mileage out of the Pro by the time the SP DLC campaign comes out, it'll be amazing
Infamous SS - Pretty good, wish 60fps mode could maintain because when it's 60fps it's great. 30fps mode sure looks nice though. I think I find unlocked unstable 60fps worse than 30fps even though that 60fps goodness is nice when you get it.
Knack - This sucks and I like the game. The high frame rate mode is nowhere near 60fps on some of the stage I tried and feels really bad, the high definition mode looks nice but either this has frame pacing issues or is under 30fps because it feels like 25 fps.
FFXV Judgment - 4k looks great, frame pacing is beyond awful and feels like 20fps, light mode runs great 30fps but could look better.

Have Ratchet lent out to a friend so will try that when I get it back. Overall, moderately impressed. Some games look a lot nicer, some games a little nicer, and some games you can tell the patch was just thrown together quickly. I'm hoping once we get past winter and devs can plan for Pro version while in development we'll start seeing more polished nice looking, nice running Pro upgraded versions.

Harp

I think Mafia 3 may have gotten the biggest overall bump on the pro. Looks like everything got upgraded. Draw distance, Character models, reflections, just about everything.

clintar

Wow. Mine literally took 25 hours to transfer 1tb of data through my router to complete. Left it on overnight and throughout work the next day before it finally completed, but it did complete. That sucks it broke during the process for you. I would be miffed if I had got home after 20+ hours away from the consoles to be welcomed by what you witnessed.
Uh, were you wifi on one or your router only have 100mbit? Wow that is slow

AllenShrz

My 1 TB HD took 4 hrs to transfer by wire.

DF mentioned that doing a backup to an external HD is faster, so if I jump to an SSD I might try that.

Anyone have any comments on the vertical stand?
Yeah:

I've got my Pro on the stand. One interesting thing to note is that the bottom of the PS4 doesn't sit flush against the surface it's resting on when using the official stand, it's elevated very slightly (presumably for airflow), apart from where it connects to the stand baseplate. I quite like that.
Yeah it's the new official one for the Slim and Pro. It mentions them both by their model designations on the box. The box contains the base plate and two adaptor plates (one for each type of console).
How sturdy is the stand? I'm thinking about picking one up.
Rock solid. It's overpriced, but it's a good design.

sniffy

Neo Member
Well my Pro seems to be one of the quiet ones thankfully. Playing some Skyrim and there's just a gentle movement of air sound.

Man, the Pro seems to have a lot more issues with HDMI handshaking. I think that's why the PSVR Processor Unit wasn't turning on. I assumed it was simply the case of the USB connection, but it's actually the HDMI input that turns it on.

Makikou

Maan, my Pro seriously cant arrive soon enough. Itching to get started with Watch Dogs 2. Also need to grab R&C and this thread is not helping!

Just bought myself a 55" KS8000 because of this damn thing.

Couldn't see a difference on my 39" 1080p so I said fuck it. Let's justify one $400 purchase with another $800 one.

I just realized now I'll be a victim of the PSVR processing unit not offering HDR pass through.

An okay problem to have, all things considered.

Just bought myself a 55" KS8000 because of this damn thing.

Couldn't see a difference on my 39" 1080p so I said fuck it. Let's justify one $400 purchase with another $800 one.

I just realized now I'll be a victim of the PSVR processing unit not offering HDR pass through.

An okay problem to have, all things considered.

You say that until you're constantly swapping cables....

Kalentan

So apparently Warframe got a mini-Pro patch a week ago but I guess it's an early one with further improvements coming. (Considering they said the FPS boost was 'minor', which granted, Warframe can get quite intensive, should honestly be a far larger boost considering the graphics haven't changed all that much since the PS4 launch.)

Kalentan

You think downloading 400GB from PSN is faster than a 2+ hour transfer? PSN can barely download one 50GB game in 2 hours.

I downloaded IW, MWR and BF1 all at the same time in like 3 hours. They all finished within a few min of each other. So it's possible that 400GB may not be that bad.

sTiTcH AU

Grabbed the last available Pro from my local ebgames australia. Got tomb raider, watch dogs 2, skyrim and ESO half off with the purchase.

Really looking forward to seeing what this machine can do.

Lady Gaia

My 1 TB HD took 4 hrs to transfer by wire.

DF mentioned that doing a backup to an external HD is faster, so if I jump to an SSD I might try that.

I've found the external HD transfer to be frightfully slow compared to the Ethernet route, but I'm sure it depends on the enclosure and drive a great deal.

Malcolm9

I downloaded IW, MWR and BF1 all at the same time in like 3 hours. They all finished within a few min of each other. So it's possible that 400GB may not be that bad.

That's exactly what I did, my speeds are pretty good so it was actually faster to reinstall & download everything again.

People need a reason to shit on PSN though.

bosseye

Why do people transfer? way faster to just reinstall everything

Worked for me, but then all my games were physical. I took this as an opportunity to spring-clean so I moved a selection of save data to the cloud and just purged the old ps4. Didn't even bother saving my huge amount of screenshots because I'm never going to do anything with them. I've been reinstalling only those few games I'm currently playing and I have fast internet so redownloading the latest patches didn't take long. De-clutter I guess, heh.

Enjoying my pro so far and I'm only on a 1080p display. Everything looks very smooth and nice and stuff like Battlefield obviously runs noticeably better. It also seems to be quieter than my old ps4. So yeah, happy, and when I do eventually get a 4k HDR telly it will be like another upgrade.

Kalentan

Tested out Warframe and while the mission I tested wasn't a crazy one... Even when a shit ton of enemies appeared it seemed like it was keeping a steady 60 FPS. Will have to test one of the survival missions to really see if there is improvement cause those became slide shows on the OG PS4.

madmackem

Anyone have any thoughts about today's Overwatch Pro update?
It's done nothing, just played a match nothing looks any different at all. On a side note reinstalling mafia 3 has me worried for my Bluray drive, making some strange noises and it's been installing off disc for like an hour now wtf mafia.

Kalentan

It's done nothing, just played a match nothing looks any different at all. On a side note reinstalling mafia 3 has me worried for my Bluray drive, making some strange noises and it's been installing off disc for like an hour now wtf mafia.

Honestly makes me think they put it in the patch notes but forgot to actually ship with it.

Solobbos

Why do people transfer? way faster to just reinstall everything
At least in EU, it took over three full days (about 80 hours) to download about 1.2 Tb of data on a 100 Mbit (10Mbs/sec) connection, so I completely understand why people prefer transferring. PSN speeds are shit.

Freeman76

At least in EU, it took over three full days (about 80 hours) to download about 1.2 Tb of data on a 100 Mbit (10Mbs/sec) connection, so I completely understand why people prefer transferring. PSN speeds are shit.

Thing is, any sane person will only want one or two games for that 3 day period of downloading the rest of their library. Waste of time transferring large amounts of data

Solobbos

Thing is, any sane person will only want one or two games for that 3 day period of downloading the rest of their library. Waste of time transferring large amounts of data
It still didn't feel that good having my brand new PS4 in rest mode for over a weekend while I was in a cabin just to come back to realize the download was still not ready. Would've probably also saved electricity to transfer, if I'd had a big enough HDD to transfer.

breakfuss

Why aren't people just using an ethernet cord to transfer between consoles? Simple. It took me about an hour and some change to transfer.

Why aren't people just using an ethernet cord to transfer between consoles? Simple. It took me about an hour and some change to transfer.

Ya, I was hitting full gigabit speed in the transfer, ie 100 MB/s. Unless your Internet is faster than gigabit, it's faster to just do a direct transfer over downloading.

Top Bottom