• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Mcdohl

Just got my PRO and data transfered my old ps4 stuff successfully.

I am however unable to activate the free PS Plus trial.

When I click on the get free trial button it takes to Choose a Membership where I'm given three options:

One big blank button that does nothing when I click on it, 3 months, or 12 months.

Is this a known issue?

Screen:
C4pxanI.png

Just got my PRO and data transfered my old ps4 stuff successfully.

I am however unable to activate the free PS Plus trial.

When I click on the get free trial button it takes to Choose a Membership where I'm given three options:

One big blank button that does nothing when I click on it, 3 months, or 12 months.

Is this a known issue?

Screen:

If I remember right, PS+ trials that are included with PlayStation systems and some games only apply if you're starting a brand-new account. If your account is currently subbed to PS+ or has previously subbed to PS+, I think it disqualifies you from using the free trials.

I'd like to be corrected because I remember hearing this and thinking it was kinda BS, but alas I do believe that is how it works on PlayStation side of things.

Does anyone else's appear to give off what sounds like a moderately loud coil whine? No matter what I'm doing the console emits this high pitched noise as soon as I start it up. Completely noticeable without headphones.

Yesterday morning I decided to fire up my Vita and use remote play on the Pro to see if there was an improvement on it. I knew there was 1080p remote play support but I wasn't sure if that would affect the Vita. Anyway, after firing up remote play, I was astounded at how much smoother of an experience it was. I turned on the TV just to see the latency, and it was barely there. I started taking it around home to see if the connection would cut but it didn't, no matter where I went. Can't wait to try out my Vita TV and see if the improvement carries over there.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I dont know if its a placebo affect but some unpatched games look a little sharper to me?

The character select screen in Overwatch seems a lot sharper and Dark Souls 3 feels sharper too. I constantly felt like the game was a little blurry on tbe regular Pro but the image seems a lot cleaner now. I actually noticed skeletons hanging off walls in the Catacombs, hadnt noticed those details on the og PS4.

I dont have 4K or HDR.

black070

I dont know if its a placebo affect but some unpatched games look a little sharper to me?

The character select screen in Overwatch seems a lot sharper and Dark Souls 3 feels sharper too. I constantly felt like the game was a little blurry on tbe regular Pro but the image seems a lot cleaner now. I actually noticed skeletons hanging off walls in the Catacombs, hadnt noticed those details on the og PS4.

I dont have 4K or HDR.

The latest patch added Pro support for Overwatch.

I was thinking about it and, bizarrely, this console is more of a next gen leap for me than the PS4 was!

In late 2012 I built a new PC with a GTX670, good i5 processor etc. When I got a PS4 in 2014 lot's of games didn't run as well as my PC, so I was kind of robbed of that "next gen" feel.

Now, my PC is definitely getting long in the tooth. Most new release games run poorly (if at all) so the PS4 Pro is actually quite a tangible upgrade. It's kind of funny that it's worked out this way for me, but here we are.

Saint9806

I got the Pro with the Samsung KS8000 and the difference is immediately obvious. I loaded up my regular PS4 to another HDMI port and I was amazed by the way it "used" to look. It's a big upgrade with the PRO and a 4K tv together.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The latest patch added Pro support for Overwatch.

I was playing Overwatch yesterday so before the patch released. Plus I dont think Blizzard has clarified what the Pro support is?

Mcdohl

If I remember right, PS+ trials that are included with PlayStation systems and some games only apply if you're starting a brand-new account. If your account is currently subbed to PS+ or has previously subbed to PS+, I think it disqualifies you from using the free trials.

I'd like to be corrected because I remember hearing this and thinking it was kinda BS, but alas I do believe that is how it works on PlayStation side of things.

Am sad :(

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Everyone that bought a Pro, and has a 4K HDR TV, you happy?

So far, yes. There are outlier concerns about certain games not having tried them yet, but overall, yes.

I think those with PSVR and Pro may be happier, but I have no idea.

I also think that it won't be until some titles with full dev cycles post PS4 Pro launch come out that way we really see what kinds of future benefits games have over the standard PS4 or whether games are hampered being tied down to the standard PS4. My guess is that most games won't be limited by having to support standard PS4 since both share common root system elements between CPU and GPU.

Theonik

Throwing it with Uncharted 4 on a 75" Sony X94C was pretty great. That set has aged a bit though. HDR on Uncharted looks really good, though IQ could be improved somewhat, mind that a 75" screen at 2.3m isn't typical viewing. R&C looked pretty great too, but not sure I like the AA solution, can still notice jaggies even when hooking it to a 1080p panel.

I'm really pleased with the PSVR enhancements as well. PSVR Worlds and especially Ocean Descent look superb on it. I think I like the display on the PSVR much better than I do the VIVE, though it still suffers from some OLED jankiness. The subpixel arrangement helps a ton. Though I still notice a 'dot' pattern I find a bit distracting.

Lo-Volt

Yeah, I was impressed by its performance and I opted for a mid-range television. I don't own too many Pro-enabled titles yet, but Ratchet and Clank was easy on the eyes even when compared to the impressive 1080p variation. I understand Shadow of Mordor has a good Pro iteration, so I'm happy about that too.

Do PS4 Pro games look better even just on a 1080p tv? I don't have a 4K tv but would welcome being able to play battlefield on my 70" tv and have it look more like how it runs on my pc.

cakely

Not sure if posted, but the Overwatch patch notes say it includes PS4 Pro support.

WAT

I still haven't bought a console version of Overwatch, I've been playing on the PC.

Hey, there's a free Overwatch weekend coming, isn't there? I played it there the last time. It will be nice to see if there are any noticeable improvements.

What i don't get is why does the ps4 pro even need the processing unit for psvr... They should a made the vr direct connect to the pro.. Cause this switching cables for hdr is a pain in the ass

cakely

What i don't get is why does the ps4 pro even need the processing unit for psvr... They should a made the vr direct connect to the pro.. Cause this switching cables for hdr is a pain in the ass

I was really hoping that the PS4 Pro would simply have the breakout box integrated into the main chassis ... with outlets for the headset built right in.

It didn't work out that way, though.

I was really hoping that the PS4 Pro would simply have the breakout box integrated into the main chassis ... with outlets for the headset built right in.

It didn't work out that way, though.

Very disappointing.. Maybe because they were trying to stick with this chassis? I'd gladly give up this flat design if it had this box built in. Seems oddly short sighted to require people to unplug the hdmi over and over.. U have to wonder if eventually something might get damaged

I think it's pretty understandable why they didn't build it in -

1) increases the cost of the pro for a feature not all will use
2) means they have to sell multiple boxes of PSVR (incl box and excl box) unless they again expect people to pay for hardware they're not using
3) two PSVR SKUs also goes against the whole "the pro is a PS4" thing because suddenly you'd have hardware that was intended for pro owners and hardware intended for OG owners

What they should've done however is had the foresight to design the breakout box so that it could pass through 4K HDR. THAT omission is baffling.

Mesharey

Gonna pickup ky console after work today, I have a question though.
If I downloaded a game, then transferred my data from my other PS4, will that remove the game?
Edit: nvm everything will be deleted.

On 1080, I feel like the image is cleaner in Overwatch, but I'm not sure if there's any difference otherwise.
I'm not convinced the overwatch pro patch did anything tbh. And if it did, it's very underwhelming - you can still see very visible aliasing in every scenario.

It looks like native 1080p now as opposed to whatever dynamic res it was doing before.

I think it's pretty understandable why they didn't build it in -

1) increases the cost of the pro for a feature not all will use
2) means they have to sell multiple boxes of PSVR (incl box and excl box) unless they again expect people to pay for hardware they're not using
3) two PSVR SKUs also goes against the whole "the pro is a PS4" thing because suddenly you'd have hardware that was intended for pro owners and hardware intended for OG owners

What they should've done however is had the foresight to design the breakout box so that it could pass through 4K HDR. THAT omission is baffling.

Did you buy a coupler?

ps4 pro is awesome.

so glad i sold my launch system. was playing TLOU on nice shadows 30fps mode for like 8 hours straight and the system fan was so quiet.

if anyone wants to do a stress test on the fans and has TLOU, start the game up, load a save, while playing in game, press the home button and go into setting/video and sound video to toggle resolution and you'll hear the fan kick up pretty fast. once you return to the game the fan immediately drops out.

definitely quieter than my launch system and it's set close to me as i have the controller wired usb.
(edit: picture inserted)
xg4TOrNl.jpg

cakely

I've owned four DualShock 4 controllers. Two I bought at launch, and the thumb grips came apart in about six months. I bought and installed replacements.

The third controller I've had for over a year now, and it has no sign of thumbstick wear, so it feels like Sony changed their materials. YMMV.

The forth controller came with my Pro. It's wayyy to soon to tell if it will have issues or not.

Top Bottom