• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

aett

Why aren't people just using an ethernet cord to transfer between consoles? Simple. It took me about an hour and some change to transfer.

Yeah, took me about 75 minutes.

My god, possibly the best part of the Pro is how quiet it is. The non-Pro games were basically silent, and Ratchet & Clank was still nowhere near as bad as my old jet engine.

The console isn't nearly as huge as I thought it would be, too. Can't wait for FFXV and Horizon.

Solobbos

Why aren't people just using an ethernet cord to transfer between consoles? Simple. It took me about an hour and some change to transfer.
I wanted the 2TB drive from my PS4 Fat to my PS4 Pro. Swapped the drives around on the systems so transfer via ethernet was impossible.

At least in EU, it took over three full days (about 80 hours) to download about 1.2 Tb of data on a 100 Mbit (10Mbs/sec) connection, so I completely understand why people prefer transferring. PSN speeds are shit.

Psn speeds are great for me
3YnNoLT.jpg

Crumpo

That's exactly what I did, my speeds are pretty good so it was actually faster to reinstall & download everything again.

People need a reason to shit on PSN though.

I gave up trying to transfer last night after over an hour of faffing around. Other than game install data and game saves (the latter I will dl to the pro from the cloud) is there anything else I need to worry about losing?

I have some captures; can I put those on usb and transfer to the pro that way?

Edit: also, I havent put it under strain yet but its really quiet! I also really like the all-matte finish; the design looks way better in person.

chadskin

I was able to fix my extremely loud (for reference, this loud) Pro by ... plugging it directly into the wall, instead of into a power board with surge protection.

I've had a similar issue with the OG XB1 ... when I plugged its PSU into the power board, it would chirp like a bird while the console was powered on. Microsoft explicitly advises to plug the PSU directly into the wall because it has a built-in surge protector and sure enough, once I did the PSU went silent and the system overall felt more stable, too.

Anyhoo, played two hours of Mafia III on the Pro just now and while I wouldn't call it silent, it's certainly not as hair dryer levels of loud as it was and also less noisy than the launch PS4 I had before. Or put differently, it's silent enough that the game sound drowns out the system's noise.

As for why, I'm no expert but perhaps the PS4 Pro's internal PSU has a surge protector built in as well and if there are two in use at the same time, they 'clash' with each other, resulting in the PSU to heat up considerably which in turn leads to the fan kicking into overdrive to keep things cool.

Trojan

I have the same question. Unless you don't have stock hard drives, this is the way to go and took me a little over an hour. The menu even prompts you to do this.

Ferr986

I was able to fix my extremely loud (for reference, this loud) Pro by ... plugging it directly into the wall, instead of into a power board with surge protection.

I've had a similar issue with the OG XB1 ... when I plugged its PSU into the power board, it would chirp like a bird while the console was powered on. Microsoft explicitly advises to plug the PSU directly into the wall because it has a built-in surge protector and sure enough, once I did the PSU went silent and the system overall felt more stable, too.

Anyhoo, played two hours of Mafia III on the Pro just now and while I wouldn't call it silent, it's certainly not as hair dryer levels of loud as it was and also less noisy than the launch PS4 I had before. Or put differently, it's silent enough that the game sound drowns out the system's noise.

As for why, I'm no expert but perhaps the PS4 Pro's internal PSU has a surge protector built in as well and if there are two in use at the same time, they 'clash' with each other, resulting in the PSU to heat up considerably which in turn leads to the fan kicking into overdrive to keep things cool.

Oh, this is really weird, I didn't know it made a difference, that would really suck if it's the case though.

My Pro it's plugged in a power board because there's no way it would reach the plug wall. But mine is pretty silent (not 100% silent as you say but good enough).

jrcbandit

I downloaded IW, MWR and BF1 all at the same time in like 3 hours. They all finished within a few min of each other. So it's possible that 400GB may not be that bad.

Not everyone has unlimited internet. 1 TB data cap doesn't go very far when streaming 4K Netflix and downloading new PC, PS4 games. I'm not going to go back and re-download all my old games too. I did a hard drive transfer and it only took 50 minutes or so to restore 400 GB to the PS4 Pro (warning: the initial backup from my old PS4 did take awhile though).

Also, I wouldn't count on keeping unlimited internet in the future if you are unlucky enough to live in the US, considering the upcoming political reality.

Aceofspades

Banned
I transferred 365GB of data to my new PRO, took around 1 hour using Ethernet cable.

I noticed cleaner image of TLoU immediately on my 1080p set.

I noticed that in The Last of Us shadows are severely bugged on the Pro with 30FPS option enabled, for example only half of Joel's shadow is rendering, and many world shadows are missing / broken. Shadows are fixed when FPS is uncapped, but then game suffers from uneven framerate. So this is another game broken on the Pro and no way to play it bug free in base PS4 mode.

holygeesus

Banned
Kinda neat that you can slide your old HDD into the new Pro without messing with software updates etc. At least, I'm presuming you can? Just reformats the HDD when booting up?

Yeah, took me about 75 minutes.

My god, possibly the best part of the Pro is how quiet it is. The non-Pro games were basically silent, and Ratchet & Clank was still nowhere near as bad as my old jet engine
The only Pro game I've played is Infamous First Light and it's definitely a lot quieter than my launch PS4. Played Doom yesterday and it's almost completely silent, that game used to make my launch console sound like it was about to take off.

sasliquid

To confirm: when I do the transfer via Ethernet cable can I choose certain applications? I only want to transfer over PT and the games that take advantage of pro, everything else can wait

Ferr986

The only Pro game I've played is Infamous First Light and it's definitely a lot quieter than my launch PS4. Played Doom yesterday and it's almost completely silent, that game used to make my launch console sound like it was about to take off.

Non Pro games makes no sound whatsoever. Pro games are louder but also far from my OG PS4.

I also think the sound the console does it's the best part about my Pro, considering I'm not blown away with supersampling on 1080 TVs like other people, but I expected really minor graphical gains anyways.

That, and the gamepad, sticks are a lot better and battery last longer to me.

To confirm: when I do the transfer via Ethernet cable can I choose certain applications? I only want to transfer over PT and the games that take advantage of pro, everything else can wait
No I think you transfer everything.

It's other that bad though, I have a 500gig ps4 that had around 360gb used and it only tool just over an hour via ethernet transfer.

Man, the Pro seems to have a lot more issues with HDMI handshaking. I think that's why the PSVR Processor Unit wasn't turning on. I assumed it was simply the case of the USB connection, but it's actually the HDMI input that turns it on.

A lot of issues comes down to HDMI cable quality. Half of the cables I have at home don't even work (including cable that was bundled with Pro) when you try to transfer 4K 4:4:4 signal through them.

Not sure if it's your case but it's worth checking.

jfoul

I have a question for people that upgraded the PS4 Pro stock HDD. Did you deactivate the console as primary during the upgrade?

RVIDXR

Is the share menu faster on the Pro? The share menu takes 5-10 secs to pop up when playing demanding games on the OG PS4.

Aceofspades

Banned

Yes, you can check games and applications before transferring them.

Edit: Im 100% sure I have been given the option to do that. It also asked me if I wanted to activate the new PS4 as primary.

Ammogeddon

The HDR isn't quite right in Ratchet and clank for me. It's quite noticeable in the main menu where the sun is shining over the corner of the planet. There are noticeable artefacts in the sun as if it's a bit pixelated. I have found that it goes if I switch the TV to dynamic contrast.

In the main game it's looks fine until you view the skybox then it all looks a bit weird, not like the main screen but as if it's struggling to evenly brighten up the clouds etc.

I was wondering if it was like that for anyone else playing on an HDR 4K TV?

I think it's my TV but I'm not sure as I'm not getting any of this in uncharted or Titanfall.

I have a 2015 Samsung UE48JU7000 which received an HDR firmware upgrade last year. I have no idea how many nits or bit colour it has but I think maybe it isn't quite up to doing proper HDR. It's only because I'm not having issues with my other games that makes me uncertain.

emrober5

My console arrived yesterday, it is a great looking system. I've only played TLOU and First Light as I had work but TLOU in particular looks much better on my 4K.

Dishonored 2 should be arriving today and I'm excited to test that out.

Now, the wait for Scorpio begins...

GazzaGSi

Created a Pro games folder on my PS4 UI and just have a quick folders questions, can I change the colour of the folder tile? The blue doesn't go with my installed theme. My old theme had black folders so never noticed the tile colour was default blue as I didn't need to change it. Is it just certain themes that have different folder tile colour as I can't find an option to change it.

NeonDelta

Internet on My pro seems to have a type 3 NAT, my OG PS4 was nat 2

I've tried opening the suggested ports but it hasn't changed

nowhoney

Where's the best place to buy this in the U.K.?

I see Argos have it for £349.99 with Dishorored 2.

Any upcoming deals rumoured?

I'm a bit bitter about the fact that I bought a PS4 Pro from Argos on launch day with Dishonored 2 (the deal was getting Dishonored 2 for an extra £20), and now it's been given away for free.

PS4 Pro Support is mentioned in the patch notes.

EDIT: Menus and overlays def look sharper than before... possibly UI in Native 4K? Game still looks the same to me from memory.

There's no way this game got pro support and just the menus got uprendered? Can somebody please post a picture of the game running in pro mode?

I tried speedtest.net via PS4 broweser and got only 16Mbps, and on the PS4 80Mbps.

I have 100Mbps. Fucking sucks, because I only get the 16Mbps. Connected via cable.

Storm360

Was the checkerboard crash from earlier on in this thread ever fixed? I'm running into it now... Again same thing, only one game, others run fine

Top Bottom