• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

f@luS

More than a member.
Was waiting for pro to start Titanfall

My god. A 400$ system allowing me to play à 60fps game with such insane IQ and clarity. I'm in shock

Yeah, though to be fair I jump from OW on PC to PS4 a lot and besides load times doesn't seem that much of a difference. If Pro can at least clean up the look of the game through AA and AF I'm good.
It might be my og ps4 but whenever dva selfs destruct on dorada marketplace/square the framerate dips a bit

holygeesus

Banned
Wow, what a major ball-ache that was to set up.

Firstly, had to get Geoff Capes round (ask your dad) to unscrew the HDD caddy screws, then discovered that although you are using the same damn HDD from your PS4, with the latest firmware, the Pro isn't pro-ficient enough to use the firmware on there, to reformat itself, so had to head over to the Sony website and download it there.

Next we have getting the damn USB stick into the slot - great design work there. None of my USB sticks fit, apart from one circa-1970 with USB 2.0 speeds, which I have had to use. Can't wait to use that to put my one back-up game on my new system.

Anyhoo, smooth sailing from there, right? Wrong - of course I was one of those affected by the HDCP fuck-up. Of course. It was destined to be the case really. So now I'm limited to HDCP 1.4 on a 2 grand TV which works fine with every damn thing I've connected to it thus far.

Video gaming is so relaxing!

I've got a weird issue when I turn on my Pro and TV. It causes the tv to constantly switch it's resolution modes and will not display any image until I either turn the tv off and back on or I switch the HDMI input from 1 to 2 and back to 1 (where the Pro is connected).

Anyone else experiencing this?

holygeesus

Banned
...and now it's messing me about after restoring from USB. Honestly, this has got to be the hardest I've ever had to work to set up a console. After restoring my games, and saves etc from USB, the system restarted, and now I'm back with a black-screen and a white light on the front of the PS4 and no idea if it's actually doing anything at all.

GazzaGSi

Fair enough, I thought it would be wired. I'm giving up with my PS4 Pro on Wi-Fi, going to get a homeplug and going wired.

I've just tested with a home plug setup and got very similar results. My OG ps4 in the other room uses home plugs so just quick hooked the Pro up in there and the speedtest came back at just over 190mb download. Want me to test 5ghz wifi?

holygeesus

Banned
So it seems I cannot enable Deep Colour on my HDMI ports, otherwise I just get a black-screen, which means no HDR for me on an LG OLED B6 which supports 2.2 (which I can't use) and 4K HDR in RGB (which I also cannot select)

Not off to the greatest of starts really. Any ideas? Bar taking the bastard thing back?

Shin-Ra

The HDR isn't quite right in Ratchet and clank for me. It's quite noticeable in the main menu where the sun is shining over the corner of the planet. There are noticeable artefacts in the sun as if it's a bit pixelated. I have found that it goes if I switch the TV to dynamic contrast.
Ratchet & Clank's main menu background is a pre-rendered video I think, with block artefacts.

Just ran speedtest on the browser:

Only ever seen a max of 6mb a second when downloading though.

Edit: wired connection.
PSN downloads are reported in MegaBytes not megabits per second and I think the number updates more than once a second.

holygeesus

Banned
Download speeds seem better here. Currently getting about 53Mb out of my 72Mb line, which I can live with. In rest mode. It will be interesting to see what they are at more peak times though.

DPtheGod

To those of you who replaced the Pro's HDD, was it a 5400 or 7200 RPM? Thinking of putting my 2tb in, but it's a 5400 RPM.

Drewfonse

I was having these weird thin, vertical blue and red flashes that started happening intermittently with Tomb Raider and then TF2. Never had a problem on OG PS4.

Turned off UHD Color on that input in TV's settings, then turned UHD color back on, and the problem seems to be fixed. I hope. I really, really do.

Samsung JS8500.

Dartastic

Does anyone know if the Target 10% off that's going on this weekend will work with the PS4 Pro, and if so, will it overlap with the 10% wishlist coupon? If so, I think I'm going to go to Target this weekend and try and get them to give me a bit of a refund.

hookurs

I can't handle swapping HDMI cables between VR and the HDR in Uncharted 4.

Did we decide on a switch that works? Anyone have that thread bookmarked?

Does anyone know if the Target 10% off that's going on this weekend will work with the PS4 Pro, and if so, will it overlap with the 10% wishlist coupon? If so, I think I'm going to go to Target this weekend and try and get them to give me a bit of a refund.

It will work on the Pro and while there is fine print that states they shouldn't stack, the expectation is that they probably will.

I can't handle swapping HDMI cables between VR and the HDR in Uncharted 4.

Did we decide on a switch that works? Anyone have that thread bookmarked?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1288307

EL CUCO

To those of you who replaced the Pro's HDD, was it a 5400 or 7200 RPM? Thinking of putting my 2tb in, but it's a 5400 RPM.
I used a 7200 RPM and it's definitely noticable.

Tested loading up The Division from home screen last night under the same connection and it went from 1:29 to just under a minute on the Pro.

Posted this in the transfer thread but I don't think people are looking at that.

Put in my Firecuda and it's working fine. I put both PS4s on a brand new Netgear GS205 gigabit switch, made sure both cables said Cat 5e, and it's still taking 14 hours for 700 GB. The Netgear says it's unmanaged and "Auto-negotiation for automatic connection at the highest common speed between switch and an end device" but yet it's giving me 100 mbps speeds. Both cables are clearly labeled Cat 5e.

It's over and done, but it was annoying.

holygeesus

Banned
I posted this in the Watch Dogs 2 thread, but in case it isn't game-specific, has anyone else noticed a thin pixel-like shimmering down the right-hand-side border of the screen? From top to bottom. It almost looks like an overscan issue.

DPtheGod

TechGaf! I need an adult!

So I'm trying to make a backup of my current 2TB hard drive. I have the green, Seagate 2TB XB1 branded hard drive. Will this work? My ps4 currently says the usb device is not plugged in, but I'm guessing it's a formatting issue? I'm hoping so anyway.

My USB stick is too thick to fit in the front USB ports because of the slanted design. It's worked with every device I've ever put it in including the OG PS4 and PS4 Slim. Facepalm Sony.

No_Style

I noticed this last night. On my 4K OLED, it makes text and edges a lot "crisper". It'd be great if they bumped up the internal resolution, but I'm happy enough with this.

I don't have a 4K OLED but I noticed the jump in texture quality and other little touches after a bit of playing. I've played a fair bit of Overwatch so things like the improved quality of the basketball in the waiting room was noticeable. lol

TechGaf! I need an adult!

So I'm trying to make a backup of my current 2TB hard drive. I have the green, Seagate 2TB XB1 branded hard drive. Will this work? My ps4 currently says the usb device is not plugged in, but I'm guessing it's a formatting issue? I'm hoping so anyway.

Try formatting as exFAT format.

I know that, but it's a pain in the ass since I had to pull it forward in the entertainment center and go in the back after I set everything up. A rear USB port is generally useless to me.

Does anyone use the rear usb port for the gold headset dongle? I'll be looking to do that so I don't have it jutting out the front, but didn't know if there was any difference in quality or range (outside of the distance between the front and the back of the console) as I wasn't sure if any of it was directional dependent.

Does anyone use the rear usb port for the gold headset dongle? I'll be looking to do that so I don't have it jutting out the front, but didn't know if there was any difference in quality or range (outside of the distance between the front and the back of the console) as I wasn't sure if any of it was directional dependent.

It works fine for me, but I'm only 7 or 8 feet away.

My flash drive was in the system for 20 minutes. When I took it out it was extremely warm. Beware. There's a lot of heat in the back.

Top Bottom