• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Lady Gaia

I know that, but it's a pain in the ass since I had to pull it forward in the entertainment center and go in the back after I set everything up. A rear USB port is generally useless to me.

I keep a few USB extension cables around. They work fine in the front ports and are a godsend for any number of purposes including using the controller in wired mode.

meerak

So!

I bought a PS4 Pro yesterday.

Gave my old PS4 to my bro who is moving. As proof of good karma, I found $20 bucks in the trash after picking up a copy of SFV for him. Dope as shit!

I can't believe so few are talking about that awesome reflective logo on top of the machine. The way the light hits it in my room is amazing, just casts the logo reflection against the shelf in very dramatic fashion. Pretty nice machine to look at in person imo. Standing it vertically right now. And the bottom is so cute! Using those classic PS shapes as the feet is a cool touch.

Anyways, I am happy. Just stared at the box a while yesterday but no one to talk to about it lol so here I am.

I am just a 1080p user for the record, won't be getting 4k for a few years I think.

Noticed missing/bugged shadows in The Last of Us in some levels with 30 FPS mode. In 60 FPS all shadows are present. I wonder if this is a bug or performance saving measure so that game could render in full 4K. How can I report this to devs?
60FPS
UuCe7C3.jpg

30FPS
YFIxA1R.jpg

60FPS
JdqEV5P.jpg

30FPS
BmBJcAB.jpg

About to trade in my ps4 og for the pro later today. I know I should deactivate my og ps4 as the primary, anything else? Should I wipe the system before doing it or will gamestop take care of that?

rnaud

I tried speedtest.net via PS4 broweser and got only 16Mbps, and on the PS4 80Mbps.

I have 100Mbps. Fucking sucks, because I only get the 16Mbps. Connected via cable.

I had big issues with download speeds. I realized if you have any app open that can use internet the ps4 will throttle your connection. I closed R&C & Spotify and it jumped from 8 hours to 30 minutes to download Watch Dogs 2.

If that helps.

Noticed missing/bugged shadows in The Last of Us in some levels with 30 FPS mode. In 60 FPS all shadows are present. I wonder if this is a bug or performance saving measure so that game could render in full 4K. How can I report this to devs?
I know shadows were already fucked up in the original 30fps mode of the remaster. Seems like they never fixed that. Are the shadows gone or cut off? When I tried 30 fps they were cut off.

I know shadows were already fucked up in the original 30fps mode of the remaster. Seems like they never fixed that. Are the shadows gone or cut off? When I tried 30 fps they were cut off.

Sometimes shadows are gone, other times they are cut off. It's a mess. If it was like this in base PS4 version and they didn't bother fixing with Pro patch I guess it will stay like this. :(

Dingotech

Has anybody got experience playing the Pro on a 4K PC monitor? I'm currently playing my gaming consoles on my monitors due to the kids ruling the lounge room most of the time.

I was eye balling the Asus MX27UQ monitor and haven't really been able to find any feedback on using it together with the Pro.

Is anybody using this monitor with the Pro? Is it worth using this type of display when you can't get HDR as well?

What would happen if you ran in 1080P mode on this type of monitor? Is that an option if you wanted to choose higher effects versus resolution.

EDIT - YOLO I just bought one, hopefully it's nice. XD

TheFatMan

Just spent almost the entire day playing Ratchet and Clank....this game looks amazing on the Pro. If you don't have it, go get it, it's only 20 bucks right now.

PS: I'm playing on a 1080 screen

Chaplain

Mine shows up with no signal until I reselect the input on my TV, so clicking source and HDMI 2, I do have PSVR though and that shows up as a second input on the same HDMI

Changing the automatic login worked at first. Now it does nothing off of a fresh boot. Using a new HDMI cable did nothing. So my assumption is that there is something wrong with the system. I will return it to get a new system in the next couple of days.

Kyoufu

Remote Play is much, MUCH better for me on Pro.

Before, I couldn't play FPS games due to the massive lag on my home network, despite having a good connection and being right next to the PS4 itself. Now, I can actually play Destiny pretty well. There's some lag, but not enough to make me just turn the thing off.

So yes, Pro actually fixed Remote Play for me. Yay.

AugustBlade

Neo Member
I just received my PS4 Pro. However, I have a question: I just recently upgraded the base PS4 with a 2TB HDD; can I just take it out of that one and put it in the Pro? I really don't want to go through all of that transferring again if I don't have to.

icespide

Banned
I just received my PS4 Pro. However, I have a question: I just recently upgraded the base PS4 with a 2TB HDD; can I just take it out of that one and put it in the Pro? I really don't want to go through all of that transferring again if I don't have to.

you gotta do the transfer, your drive will be formatted once you put it in a new PS4

Lady Gaia

Unfortunately, no you have to do the backup juggle. Hard drives moved between any two PS4s will have to be reformatted as they're encrypted with a unit-specific key. I had exactly the same situation and wound up doing the following:

1. Delete enough games that I have on-disk or otherwise don't intend to play to get safely under 1TB
  2. Connect the two systems with an Ethernet cable and use the transfer process
  3. Explore enough to get the immediate need out of my system
  4. Back up to an external USB drive
  5. Swap the physical drives and restore the Pro (or both, if desired)

This approach had the advantage that at no time did I risk not having a working copy of everything. The original PS4 was safe until everything was up and running on the Pro, and then that 1TB drive remains untouched until I verified that everything restored as expected to the 2TB disk.

AugustBlade

Neo Member
Unfortunately, no you have to do the backup juggle. Hard drives moved between any two PS4s will have to be reformatted as they're encrypted with a unit-specific key. I had exactly the same situation and wound up doing the following:

1. Delete enough games that I have on-disk or otherwise don't intend to play to get safely under 1TB
  2. Connect the two systems with an Ethernet cable and use the transfer process
  3. Explore enough to get the immediate need out of my system
  4. Back up to an external USB drive
  5. Swap the physical drives and restore the Pro (or both, if desired)

This approach had the advantage that at no time did I risk not having a working copy of everything. The original PS4 was safe until everything was up and running on the Pro, and then that 1TB drive remains untouched until I verified that everything restored as expected to the 2TB disk.

Ah, I see. That's what I'll do then. You were very helpful, thank you!

Just received my Pro. Not sure if I am going set it up or just wait until I get my replacement hard drive. It would be a real pain to have to do restore and backup twice so I'll probably just leave it untouched. Gonna be a LONG wait.

Cynn

Has anybody got experience playing the Pro on a 4K PC monitor? I'm currently playing my gaming consoles on my monitors due to the kids ruling the lounge room most of the time.

I was eye balling the Asus MX27UQ monitor and haven't really been able to find any feedback on using it together with the Pro.

Is anybody using this monitor with the Pro? Is it worth using this type of display when you can't get HDR as well?

What would happen if you ran in 1080P mode on this type of monitor? Is that an option if you wanted to choose higher effects versus resolution.

Please post impressions. I'm looking at the same one.

So!

I bought a PS4 Pro yesterday.

Gave my old PS4 to my bro who is moving. As proof of good karma, I found $20 bucks in the trash after picking up a copy of SFV for him. Dope as shit!

I can't believe so few are talking about that awesome reflective logo on top of the machine. The way the light hits it in my room is amazing, just casts the logo reflection against the shelf in very dramatic fashion. Pretty nice machine to look at in person imo. Standing it vertically right now. And the bottom is so cute! Using those classic PS shapes as the feet is a cool touch.

Anyways, I am happy. Just stared at the box a while yesterday but no one to talk to about it lol so here I am.

I am just a 1080p user for the record, won't be getting 4k for a few years I think.

You mean the big light bar at the front of the console? That is BY FAR my least favorite thing about the PS4 Pro. It's so fuckin distracting sitting under my TV. I actually covered it with tape it was so annoying.

Picked up Ratched and Clank yesterday and holy shit. Looks insane on my KS8000. It also happens to be super fun.

Since you have the KS8000(I ordered the 49 inch one its currently on back order) when you get your PS4 PRO, did you plug in a HDMI 2.0 cable or did you just use the one that came with the PS4 PRO..I also read something about HCPI or whatever the heck its called I think I saw a pic of it in safe mode..do I have to turn that ON Before I install the firmware on the PS4 PRO or is that not necessary

Allforce

Wait is the HDMI cable that came with the Pro anything different than the one that came with the OG PS4? I just plugged the Pro into my existing HDMI cable and changed the power plug out. The one that came with it is sitting in the plastic bag still inside the box.

Since you have the KS8000(I ordered the 49 inch one its currently on back order) when you get your PS4 PRO, did you plug in a HDMI 2.0 cable or did you just use the one that came with the PS4 PRO..I also read something about HCPI or whatever the heck its called I think I saw a pic of it in safe mode..do I have to turn that ON Before I install the firmware on the PS4 PRO or is that not necessary

The one that comes with the pro works for 4k/60. Im assuming that is HDMI 2.0

gt86

Wait is the HDMI cable that came with the Pro anything different than the one that came with the OG PS4? I just plugged the Pro into my existing HDMI cable and changed the power plug out. The one that came with it is sitting in the plastic bag still inside the box.

It is different, but you only need it with 4k TVs iirc.

Chaplain

I think Uncharted 4 has lag now when controlling Drake. This was introduced with the latest patch. Can someone please test this out.

There is something wrong with streaming games on the Pro.

Streamed Titanfall 2 and DMC4. And there is this weird square artifacts that pop up during movement. I have the broadcast set to 1080p/60fps

You can see it here:

DMC4 1080p native 60fps

Titanfall2 4k at 60fps You can really see it on Titanfall 2.

Thought it's an interesting thing to note. Base Ps4 streamed a better image quality at 720p. I find this interesting.

madmook

I don't think there are any HDR capable monitors available at the moment.

Anyways, I have two 4K monitors: an LG 27UD68 and an Asus MG24UQ. Both work fine with the Pro. Can't use HDR, but you'll get the resolution benefit.

Make sure their HDMI inputs are rated 4k @ 60 hz.

I had a Samsung 4k monitor that only did 4k @ 60 hz in it's display port. It's HDMI ports maxed out at 30 hz. And it seems because of which, the PS4 Pro wouldn't let me do 4k. It maxed out on 1080p.

madmackem

There is something wrong with streaming games on the Pro.

Streamed Titanfall 2 and DMC4. And there is this weird square artifacts that pop up during movement. I have the broadcast set to 1080p/60fps

You can see it here:

DMC4 1080p native 60fps

Titanfall2 4k at 60fps You can really see it on Titanfall 2.

Thought it's an interesting thing to note. Base Ps4 streamed a better image quality at 720p. I find this interesting.
That's bandwith issues, you may not have enough upload to stream 1080p.

I know a lot have people have been talking about hdmi cables and they are different. Most newer hdmi cables are high speed and is good enough for 4k and hdr. Unless you have a cable from 5 years ago bought super cheap. I looked closely at the ps4 cable, ps4 pro cable, and the Sony 4k streamer I bought when I purchased my TV and all three of them are identical. In fact I'm running the pro through my ps4 cable to me receiver and another older cable from the receiver to the TV and I'm getting a 4k signal just fine.

That's bandwith issues, you may not have enough upload to stream 1080p.

Damn, tap dance on a buffalo's ball sack I didn't know.

The speed test app on my phone gave me:

25ms ping
12 mbps download
8.01 mbps upload

That's not enough? I guess 1080p at 60 fps is a lot of information to stream. I'll try 720p at 60 fps and see if that's better.

EDIT: Wait, more importantly I should do a speed check on my Pro. brb

Man, they did not think out the design in regards to the USB ports on the front of the console. I don't have a single flash drive that can clear the bottom "parallelogram" and fully plug into the front USB ports. With the rear port being pretty much dedicated for my PSVR, I guess I'll just need to get a couple extenders or something. More than a little frustrating.

kriskrosbbk

Guys, my "What's new" section stuck on 28th of October.I doubt this is the latest news given the fact I have 100+ friends.How can I refresh this thing.On PRO obviously.

Edit:Just found it is the triangle button but no change.
Edit Edit: Same on my iPhone app.Latest feed is from 28/10,which is 20 days ago.Whats going on here.

Haines

Banned
So I just discovered by testing I'm supposed to have Dynamic contrast on high to get HDR stuff to pop and look good.

Ks8000. Incase anyone was still lost on hdr stuff

Top Bottom