• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Afrikan

Just got my Pro :D still waiting for my C6 tomorrow. :/

till then though, to use Remote Play....do I need to set my PRO as my Primary PS4? hope not.

Man, they did not think out the design in regards to the USB ports on the front of the console. I don't have a single flash drive that can clear the bottom "parallelogram" and fully plug into the front USB ports. With the rear port being pretty much dedicated for my PSVR, I guess I'll just need to get a couple extenders or something. More than a little frustrating.
I use a powered D-Link 7-port USB hub. That way I can have my headset dongle, controller, and USB hub plugged into the PS4 Pro, and then I can have USB sticks/drives, keyboard, phone charger, Fitbit charger, etc. plugged into the hub.

kriskrosbbk

Any idea why my PC remoteplay app does not connect via "searching nearby" and moves to "via internet"? I am 2 feet from my PS4 Pro and the Connect Directly is ticked.

I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on my Pro this week on my 1080p TV. Generally I've been impressed; it's not a huge graphical upgrade but it's definitely cleaner, and the jaggies and artifacting were gone.

Until I did the Baba Yaga DLC. The new areas were full of jaggies, shimmering... all kinds of graphical badness. Once I left the DLC area everything was fine. So it seems like DLC needs to be patched to get the benefit too? Or is Baba Yaga DLC just a mess to begin with?

I'm loving the Pro though. Although my OG PS4 isn't loud to begin with, it was audible. I can't hear the Pro at all. The graphical improvements aren't huge but noticeable, so it's a worthy upgrade IMO.

I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on my Pro this week on my 1080p TV. Generally I've been impressed; it's not a huge graphical upgrade but it's definitely cleaner, and the jaggies and artifacting were gone.

Until I did the Baba Yaga DLC. The new areas were full of jaggies, shimmering... all kinds of graphical badness. Once I left the DLC area everything was fine. So it seems like DLC needs to be patched to get the benefit too? Or is Baba Yaga DLC just a mess to begin with?

I'm loving the Pro though. Although my OG PS4 isn't loud to begin with, it was audible. I can't hear the Pro at all. The graphical improvements aren't huge but noticeable, so it's a worthy upgrade IMO.

When starting a new game on the Pro, did you get minor stuttering in the opening cinematic? Nobody can seem to answer this. I'm trying to figure out if my system is bad, if my hard drive is bad, if my game disc is bad, or if this is simply normal behavior on the Pro.

holygeesus

Banned
My Pro is quieter generally, but the noise that is there doesn't seem consistent. I kinda wish they had set a fan profile where the noise is a bit louder but stays the same, rather than ramping up and down constantly. Also, why the hell do the fans go nuts when you suspend a game and go back to the PS4 home screen?

When starting a new game on the Pro, did you get minor stuttering in the opening cinematic? Nobody can seem to answer this. I'm trying to figure out if my system is bad, if my hard drive is bad, if my game disc is bad, or if this is simply normal behavior on the Pro.

Sorry, I started the game off on my OG PS4 and transferred it to the Pro. I haven't gotten any stuttering or other issues with the game though since switching to the Pro.

Sorry, I started the game off on my OG PS4 and transferred it to the Pro. I haven't gotten any stuttering or other issues with the game though since switching to the Pro.

So far it seems fine once it's past the opening cinematic, but I can't get through the intro without some sort of stuttering on the Pro. My OG PS4 doesn't do it.

sasliquid

Right so my sshd won't arrive in time

What do I need to know if I want to play games on my pro but transfer my old content at a later date?

I did notice the characters being really bad. Horrible flickering shadows.
Seemed rushed. But i was mostly busy not shitting my pants

Hanmik

Guys, my "What's new" section stuck on 28th of October.I doubt this is the latest news given the fact I have 100+ friends.How can I refresh this thing.On PRO obviously.

Edit:Just found it is the triangle button but no change.
Edit Edit: Same on my iPhone app.Latest feed is from 28/10,which is 20 days ago.Whats going on here.

same for me.. stuck on 26/10.. on my new and old PS4.. something is up with what's new..

Zhao_Yun

I am still on the fence about a Pro and I kinda want one to have the best FFXV experience possible, but at the same time the reports about some games running slower on the Pro than on the OG PS4 make me hesitate. Am I worrying too much GAF?

madmackem

I am still on the fence about a Pro and I kinda want one to have the best FFXV experience possible, but at the same time the reports about some games running slower on the Pro than on the OG PS4 make me hesitate. Am I worrying too much GAF?
It's the odd game by the odd frame here and there, they will be fixed. Tbh the trade off in iq etc alone has been worth it alone for me.

sucks that you can't watch PS Vue on both the PS4 and Pro at the same time.

yes, you're worrying about little, tiny issues. pull the trigger and get it if you can.

I also believe that at the end of the day, if developers will start adding in more options. 1080p at higher framerate. 1080p at same framerate but maxed out graphical settings.

or 4k output at same framerate. (hopefully same).

Really making the Pro a plus on all fronts.

mitchman

Gold Member
Nice speed. Well I'm not sure what else it could be, like I said, all my other stuff has no problem getting 60-70Mbps easily but my Pro is not having it for some reason, I guess I will have to stick to the 2.4ghz Wi-fi and 15-20Mbps until I can find a better solution.

Make sure all internal networking is cabled and 1Gbps.

I tried speedtest.net via PS4 broweser and got only 16Mbps, and on the PS4 80Mbps.

I have 100Mbps. Fucking sucks, because I only get the 16Mbps. Connected via cable.

Same here, 100Mbps internet and 1Gbps internal network and I max out the 100Mbps when downloading patches. My internet infrastructure is European so likely more reliable than yours if you're in the US. Also make sure both are connected to the same 1Gbps switch.

So it seems I cannot enable Deep Colour on my HDMI ports, otherwise I just get a black-screen, which means no HDR for me on an LG OLED B6 which supports 2.2 (which I can't use) and 4K HDR in RGB (which I also cannot select)

I believe this is a known issue with the LG TVs and you need to set HDCP to 1.4 in the boot menu for this to work.

Posted this in the transfer thread but I don't think people are looking at that.

Put in my Firecuda and it's working fine. I put both PS4s on a brand new Netgear GS205 gigabit switch, made sure both cables said Cat 5e, and it's still taking 14 hours for 700 GB. The Netgear says it's unmanaged and "Auto-negotiation for automatic connection at the highest common speed between switch and an end device" but yet it's giving me 100 mbps speeds. Both cables are clearly labeled Cat 5e.

4 hours for 800GB here, so something is wrong with your network. It's not a limitation of the console at least.

King_Moc

Banned

Unless you're going to play Deus Ex on it, then yes, you're worrying about nothing. Everything else is far better on the Pro.

Jack cw

As other have said, buy it if you want the best IQ and (mostly) performance of PS4 games.
Typical GAF hyperbole regarding the performance issues. On principle it shouldn't perform worse on framerate but we are talking about tiny drops no casual would ever notice. There are things like the latest BF1 patch or World of FF that seemed bugged but devs are patching like in Watchdogs or Skyrim where I felt performance is now stable. Most games though look and perform better. The IQ and more capable hardware (remote play in 1080p) are worth it. Launch buyers will always be beta testers so things only get better. It is a great system that is more quiet than my launch PS4 and especially games with bad AA solution or low res profit from the supersampling I have on a 1080p set. It's like playing in bullshot quality, even in motion.

Valonquar

Guys, my "What's new" section stuck on 28th of October.I doubt this is the latest news given the fact I have 100+ friends.How can I refresh this thing.On PRO obviously.

Edit Edit: Same on my iPhone app.Latest feed is from 28/10,which is 20 days ago.Whats going on here.

kriskrosbbk I have come to bargain

BigEmil

Maybe log out of PSN and login again

d9b

Banned
Did it recently due to two step verification I did setup for my pro.
Same here, it's account related. Mine is stuck since 31. October, even though I moved on to Pro. Sony is aware of the problem and is 'looking into it'. There's a new update today, hope it'll fix it.

jbortz78

What about deactivating my master account on my old PS4, will I still be able to transfer that content later?

I would transfer the content from the PS4 to the PRO with a network cable. Then remove as primary. then play on the Pro until SSD arrives, then backup and restore via USB

GazzaGSi

For those that had the UI lag when Infinite Warfare was loaded, todays 4.06 system firmware update seems to have fixed it for me, no lag while browsing the console UI with infinite warfare loaded :)

Yopis

So I just discovered by testing I'm supposed to have Dynamic contrast on high to get HDR stuff to pop and look good.

Ks8000. Incase anyone was still lost on hdr stuff

This is false. Dynamic contrast just brightens the entire picture. The pop your talking about is just torch mode. If you really like leave it on but it's not true this turns on hdr.

pelican

So I noticed Blizzard have added Pro support in OW.

Any confirmation of what it is yet? I'm not currently at home to give it a go.

sasliquid

I would transfer the content from the PS4 to the PRO with a network cable. Then remove as primary. then play on the Pro until SSD arrives, then backup and restore via USB

Makes sense, I have a 128gb USB so I should be able to save the saves, PT and the couple of games it would be irritating to reinstall on that.

Thank you

Zhao_Yun

It's the odd game by the odd frame here and there, they will be fixed. Tbh the trade off in iq etc alone has been worth it alone for me.

yes, you're worrying about little, tiny issues. pull the trigger and get it if you can.

Unless you're going to play Deus Ex on it, then yes, you're worrying about nothing. Everything else is far better on the Pro.

As other have said, buy it if you want the best IQ and (mostly) performance of PS4 games.
Typical GAF hyperbole regarding the performance issues. On principle it shouldn't perform worse on framerate but we are talking about tiny drops no casual would ever notice. There are things like the latest BF1 patch or World of FF that seemed bugged but devs are patching like in Watchdogs or Skyrim where I felt performance is now stable. Most games though look and perform better. The IQ and more capable hardware (remote play in 1080p) are worth it. Launch buyers will always be beta testers so things only get better. It is a great system that is more quiet than my launch PS4 and especially games with bad AA solution or low res profit from the supersampling I have on a 1080p set. It's like playing in bullshot quality, even in motion.

Thanks for your input guys. Think I will just go ahead and hope that games like Deus Ex stay outliers :)

Lren

Still enjoying my pro, mainly playing Bloodborne and now Watch Dogs 2. Streaming and video quality has been the big improvement for me so far, extremely happy with that. Still gushing at the FFXV Judgement demo, incredibly excited for that at the end of the month.

Mr Git

I've tested a few games on mine now and if anything the almost silence when playing Uncharted and Witcher 3 has justified the purchase for me. It's made a huge difference to mic interference when playing online. My old PS4 made hearing my mic quite difficult.

Ryuuroden

So, I haven't bought a console since the gamecube and I've been a PC gamer since then. With the fact I have a family now (fiancée, kids, oldest kid is 9) I have decided to rejoin the console community. My gaming PC is off limits to the kids and fiancée since I use it for business running my company I don't trust anyone else to not compromise it to malware and such as well as it not being a good platform for family gaming.

I have decided to go with the ps4 pro and I am also going to get the vr set for Christmas for the family. My fiancée has a ps2 and 2 controllers. I have been out of the console loop for a long time so it's been a little confusing figuring out what I need and what I don't need. If someone could point out what I should get or where I should look for resources this would be much appreciated. Money is not an issue but I don't want to buy unnecessary things. My fiancée is a huge resident evil fan and I can't wait to surprise her with it and vr.

Hope this is the right thread to ask in.

i've had a pro since launch and am loving it. it has kind of re-invigorated my interest in playing games again. i haven't played much at all the last year and a half. my girlfriend is super confused now as games just keep getting delivered to the house from amazon. i've got about 8 or 9 games to play through and still plan on picking up the last guardian and the darksiders remaster when they release. plenty of games, but not enough time lol.

also, i've been taking tons of screenshots since everything just looks amazing on my 1080p screen. want to start participating in the screenshot thread again.

n0razi

Ive been playing with my PSVR and Pro that came in yesterday. I REALLY want the VR breakout box integrated into the Pro. The jumble of wires is just ridiculous

What games would people recommend that really show off the Pro? Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I want to pick up a few games to justify the upgrade from my regular PS4. Also I have a 1080p monitor.

Krakin

What games would people recommend that really show off the Pro? Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I want to pick up a few games to justify the upgrade from my regular PS4. Also I have a 1080p monitor.

Paragon is a free game that actually looks better than the PC version.

holygeesus

Banned
Didn't Ratchet and Clank get good vibes in this thread? I think The Last of Us looks stunning in both it's modes, and makes me want to play through it again, despite platinuming it twice already.

RavenHawk

Infamous Second Son, TLOU, and Ratchet & Clank all look fabulous on my Panny VT. The unfortunate thing is that this thing is loud. Sitting 8' away I can hear it at normal TV viewing levels. When I get home tonight, I'm going to see if the "quality" update does anything, but otherwise, it's probably going back.

Woke up to the news that my Pro is ready for pickup, of course I'll be at work all day, but at least it's here a day earlier than expected (and with 10% off).

I was debating on the approach to take for HDD swap/backup since I have a 2TB in my OG PS4 that I want in my Pro, but I like the sound of your approach Lady Gaia, thanks.

Honestly, I want to check this thing out ASAP but I know I'd end up swapping it out later.

Unfortunately, no you have to do the backup juggle. Hard drives moved between any two PS4s will have to be reformatted as they're encrypted with a unit-specific key. I had exactly the same situation and wound up doing the following:

1. Delete enough games that I have on-disk or otherwise don't intend to play to get safely under 1TB
  2. Connect the two systems with an Ethernet cable and use the transfer process
  3. Explore enough to get the immediate need out of my system
  4. Back up to an external USB drive
  5. Swap the physical drives and restore the Pro (or both, if desired)

This approach had the advantage that at no time did I risk not having a working copy of everything. The original PS4 was safe until everything was up and running on the Pro, and then that 1TB drive remains untouched until I verified that everything restored as expected to the 2TB disk.

Top Bottom