• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Dio

Banned
fizxan.png

PS4 Pro, you are the new vessel for my copy of P.T.

Ammogeddon

Anybody else getting a quick totally black screen during gameplay ? It is for only a split second.
Happened once last night in about 5 hours of team deathmatch and today once in 3 hours.
I dont think I saw this before the patch a few days ago.
Playing on ps4 pro. Hope nothing is wrong with the pros hdmi port.
Only seen this in bf1 - its all I've been playing lately.

Quite a few people are having the same issue including me. I was a bit gutted about it initially but it only happens now and then. People suggested things like changing the hdcp in the safe mode or switching deep colour off. Neither of these worked for me. Hopefully it'll get patched.

Robot Pants

Guys sorry I got questions about backing up my old PS4.
I partitioned my external HDD to exFat so I could download all my save files and screenshots. All that is done.
But I have PT on my console and I want to keep it. The whole reason I even went this route with my external is because I figured I could just select PT and throw it on the drive, but apparently I can't.
Did some searching and it says that if I backup my ENTIRE PS4 it will retain PT.
OR I can do the funky proxy server version and redownload it on the PRO.

Two questions:
1. If I back up the entire PS4, does it actually retain PT?
2. Does that proxy server method STILL work, and am I able to play PT normally WITHOUT the proxy program running once it's downloaded?

Thanks so much guys!

Dio

Banned
Guys sorry I got questions about backing up my old PS4.
I partitioned my external HDD to exFat so I could download all my save files and screenshots. All that is done.
But I have PT on my console and I want to keep it. The whole reason I even went this route with my external is because I figured I could just select PT and throw it on the drive, but apparently I can't.
Did some searching and it says that if I backup my ENTIRE PS4 it will retain PT.
OR I can do the funky proxy server version and redownload it on the PRO.

Two questions:
1. If I back up the entire PS4, does it actually retain PT?
2. Does that proxy server method STILL work, and am I able to play PT normally WITHOUT the proxy program running once it's downloaded?

Thanks so much guys!

Do you see that screenshot above you, in 4k, with a copy of PT in it?

I formatted my external HDD to exFAT and backed everything up to my external hard drive at the same time using the PS4 backup/restore tool.

Since it saves all the save games regardless of if you delete the game or not, I deleted every game I could redownload from the HDD first and left P.T. by itself.

After initializing my old PS4 and trading it in, I stuck in my USB external to the Pro and ran 'recover' - it transferred my PSN account, my save files, and P.T.

After redownloading some of the games, the save files worked just like new.

So there's no problem if you back up the PS4 onto an external, my P.T. is on my PS4 Pro as of 30 minutes ago.

Ammogeddon

Is anyone getting Netflix to stream HDR?

The best I can get is UHD 4K. I have a HDR TV and fast enough internet. Apparently it should say HDR if it's working right. I've tried all the main HDR programs like Marco Polo and Daredevil. Maybe the app hasn't been updated.

Seth

Does the pro upscale every game to 4k? My tv reports it's displaying in 4k with every game, even ones that I don't think got updated.

Robot Pants

Do you see that screenshot above you, in 4k, with a copy of PT in it?

I formatted my external HDD to exFAT and backed everything up to my external hard drive at the same time using the PS4 backup/restore tool.

Since it saves all the save games regardless of if you delete the game or not, I deleted every game I could redownload from the HDD first and left P.T. by itself.

After initializing my old PS4 and trading it in, I stuck in my USB external to the Pro and ran 'recover' - it transferred my PSN account, my save files, and P.T.

After redownloading some of the games, the save files worked just like new.

So there's no problem if you back up the PS4 onto an external, my P.T. is on my PS4 Pro as of 30 minutes ago.

Awesome. That's what I figured, I did see your post right after I posted mine, and thank you so much!
My plan was the same, delete all games except PT and then do a full backup.
Love it. Thanks again

Kremzeek

Anybody else getting a quick totally black screen during gameplay ? It is for only a split second.
Happened once last night in about 5 hours of team deathmatch and today once in 3 hours.
I dont think I saw this before the patch a few days ago.
Playing on ps4 pro. Hope nothing is wrong with the pros hdmi port.
Only seen this in bf1 - its all I've been playing lately.

Yes, it's a HDCP handshaking issue.

Mine is doing it too, on Overwatch & Tomb Raider. I temporarily fixed it by turning off HDCP in Pro->Settings->System.

(I am using the HDMI cable included with the Pro, directly plugged into the TV where my previous PS4 was.)

Quite a few people are having the same issue including me. I was a bit gutted about it initially but it only happens now and then. People suggested things like changing the hdcp in the safe mode or switching deep colour off. Neither of these worked for me. Hopefully it'll get patched.

Mine is doing it too, on Overwatch & Tomb Raider. I temporarily fixed it by turning off HDCP in Pro->Settings->System.

(I am using the HDMI cable included with the Pro, directly plugged into the TV where my previous PS4 was.)

I forgot to mention I'm on a yamaha receiver which is then connected to a sony bravia 1080p. Are you guys on 1080p or 4k sets?

I booted up wwe2k17 last night to relieve sime bf1 stress and i didnt think this game got an upgrade or if its the upscaler but either way stuff looks much sharper and defined

taoofjord

Infamous Second Son, TLOU, and Ratchet & Clank all look fabulous on my Panny VT. The unfortunate thing is that this thing is loud. Sitting 8' away I can hear it at normal TV viewing levels. When I get home tonight, I'm going to see if the "quality" update does anything, but otherwise, it's probably going back.

Yikes. Yeah, I'd exchange it. My PS4 Pro is super quiet and I'm about 5 1/2 feet away from it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Got a PS4 Pro after playing Dishonored 2 on a regular PS4 for about 4 hours -- here are my thoughts on that game's "pro enhancements".

Note that I am comparing, side by side, the PS4 standard version against the PS4 Pro "enhanced" version, both on the same 1080p TV. Since I own both consoles and they're both hooked up to my TV still, I was able to play the same sections right after another on both systems.

First of all, this "downsampling" effect is going to be barely noticeable to anyone. At least, I only noticed VERY minimal upgrades if any at all to image quality. At times, things like character faces would seem smoother and slightly more detailed on Pro, but then I'd switch back to the standard PS4 and really notice no difference at all.

Bottom line? Minimal, of any improvements at all to image quality in 1080p.

As far as performance goes, I'd say there were very slight improvements in certain scenes -- heavy combat with multiple opponents, and also panning across the city was also smoother. Certainly not a night/day difference, and still a variable, if slightly smoother 30 FPS. I'd say I noticed a 2-3 FPS difference in certain scenes.

What's strange is that when I first booted up Dishonored 2 on my PS4 Pro I thought it looked SO much better and ran so much smoother -- clearly a placebo effect because when I switched back to standard PS4, I could barely notice a single difference.

Seriously, if I hadn't had the luxury of playing both versions back to back in the same scenes, I'd probably be here gushing about how great the PS4 Pro is for 1080p. But no, at least for this game, it really isn't.

Got a PS4 Pro after playing Dishonored 2 on a regular PS4 for about 4 hours -- here are my thoughts on that game's "pro enhancements".

Note that I am comparing, side by side, the PS4 standard version against the PS4 Pro "enhanced" version, both on the same 1080p TV. Since I own both consoles and they're both hooked up to my TV still, I was able to play the same sections right after another on both systems.

First of all, this "downsampling" effect is going to be barely noticeable to anyone. At least, I only noticed VERY minimal upgrades if any at all to image quality. At times, things like character faces would seem smoother and slightly more detailed on Pro, but then I'd switch back to the standard PS4 and really notice no difference at all.

As far as performance goes, I'd say there were very slight improvements in certain scenes -- heavy combat with multiple opponents, and also panning across the city was also smoother. Certainly not a night/day difference, and still a variable, if slightly smoother 30 FPS. I'd say I noticed a 2-3 FPS difference in certain scenes.

What's strange is that when I first booted up Dishonored 2 on my PS4 Pro I thought it looked SO much better and ran so much smoother -- clearly a placebo effect because when I switched back to standard PS4, I could barely notice a single difference.

Seriously, if I hadn't had the luxury of playing both versions back to back in the same scenes, I'd probably be here gushing about how great the PS4 Pro is for 1080p. But no, at least for this game, it really isn't.

It looks great at 4k

Lady Gaia

Dishonored 2 isn't what I'd call a showcase title for the PS4 Pro. On a 4K system you get a really crisp look at just how low-poly most models are, and how low-resolution some of the textures are. It's a game that succeeds on atmosphere and level design alone, which is fine for what it is. I'm not surprised it doesn't wow at 1080p.

Dishonored 2 isn't what I'd call a showcase title for the PS4 Pro. On a 4K system you get a really crisp look at just how low-poly most models are, and how low-resolution some of the textures are. It's a game that succeeds on atmosphere and level design alone, which is fine for what it is. I'm not surprised it doesn't wow at 1080p.

I think the art style is still second to none. At 4k it's really sharp. I was in the ship and it looked significantly better at 4k than 1080p SS.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Who knows, but having played on pro 1080 an 4k.The clarity and crispness is immediate to me.
That is good to hear. But isn't the image quality in 1080p downsampled supposed to make games look really nice? I'm gathering what you guys are saying is "yes, just not so much in this game". Am I right?

dcx4610

Am I blind or something? I capped the frame rate at 30fps in Last of Us and while perfoming horribly, it doesn't really look 4k to me or any different than 60fps. Both look sharp and the only thing that looks different to me is the frame rate. Am I missing something?

I don't have a Pro, but this issue has plagued me through a launch PS4 and a "revised" PS4 (pre-slim)

I hoped it wouldn't be a problem if I got a Pro :-/

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Am I blind or something? I capped the frame rate at 30fps in Last of Us and while perfoming horribly, it doesn't really look 4k to me or any different than 60fps. Both look sharp and the only thing that looks different to me is the frame rate. Am I missing something?

4K isn't going to make the game look any different outside of sharpness and clarity. Ask all those people in the PC threads downsampling their games from 4K how they feel about it.

Its an acquired taste not for everybody

Grinchy

Banned
Probably a stupid question but is the dash supposed to look washed out when playing games in HDR?

I only played a little bit of Uncharted 4 so far, but the dashboard llooked really washed out to me. I just assumed it was because it wasn't in HDR and I had gotten used to the game.

Strange, my PS4 Pro suddenly turn itself completely off after I finish a bf1 match. I turned it back on and it had a system error and reported the crash problem. I am kinda worried now :lol

DerekNYC

Trying my Pro for the first time with VR...as soon as I load up Batman (twice now) both the system and the VR headset shut down immediately.

What is going on? Anyone else have this issue?

Whoa, the OS stability updates actually do something! The update fixed the stuttering in Rise of the Tomb Raider. The problem didn't exist on the original PS4. I'm surprised nobody else noticed this.

Wallach

Dishonored 2's Pro support is a total joke. Easily the worst example of it by a wide margin. One of the downsides of individual developer support, some are going to blow it big time.

DPtheGod

Hey guys,I posted this in the Mafia OT but that thread seems dead. So, I'm going to post it here instead. On my PS4 Pro my Mafia 3 is still ver 1.04 and says it's the newest version available. Is this the patched for Pro version?

No Love

Banned
Dishonored 2's Pro support is a total joke. Easily the worst example of it by a wide margin. One of the downsides of individual developer support, some are going to blow it big time.

Agreed. Game rocks, Pro enhancements are a joke. I honestly thought it was the regular PS4 version lol.

Kyoufu

To be fair, they didn't get a lot of time plus they're currently patching performance issues across multiple versions. Going forward, Pro enhancements will only get better.

So I'm trading in my standard PS4 tomorrow but I had a question.

I Initialized my PS4 (Picked the Full option and not Quick), do I need to do anything else? Wanted to make sure it wouldn't have any data on it or remember my passwords ect.

Haines

Banned

It looks wayyy more clear in 4k but the fps blow chunks as soon as you move.

Don't forget the 60 fps mode is still 1800p

ufo8mycat

I would say the downsampling alone, is enough to get a PS4 Pro. Holy crap at the IQ!

Played Watch Dogs 2 on OG PS4 - tons of jaggies, shimmering
Played it when I got the Pro - all the jaggies GONE. The game now looks so incredibly crisp, sharp, more detailed textures also. Like the IQ is near flawless. It's like looking at one of those bullshot screenshots.

I was kind of skeptic t how much downsampling can improve the look of a game, as I've never seen it before, but holy crap!

Top Bottom