• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Lima

Infamous Second Son, TLOU, and Ratchet & Clank all look fabulous on my Panny VT. The unfortunate thing is that this thing is loud. Sitting 8' away I can hear it at normal TV viewing levels. When I get home tonight, I'm going to see if the "quality" update does anything, but otherwise, it's probably going back.

Yeah you should return it. The fans from my ZT60 are louder than the PS4 Pro.

RavenHawk

Yeah you should return it. The fans from my ZT60 are louder than the PS4 Pro.

Yeah, I figured I was one of the unlucky ones :(

It is nowhere near as loud as my launch PS4 was, but it is clearly audible. The odd thing is that it gets louder for no apparent reason...it got very loud when I was in the menu of TLOU, but quieted down when I went back to the game.

It is a myth that the cable has anything to do with HDMI versions, it's the hardware on either end. All HDMI cables are exactly the same.
That's a rather broad proclamation. Not all HDMI cables are created the same. AWG, metal used in the connectors, shielding, braiding, testing during manufacturing, etc. And there's the "Certified Premium" badge program the HDMI Founder's implemented.

As for the HDMI hardware comment, you're not right, but you're not wrong, either. This Blue Jeans Cable article discusses the matter quite well. Same as my comments above, the matter is a bit more complicated than what you're distilling it to.

Lady Gaia

It is a myth that the cable has anything to do with HDMI versions, it's the hardware on either end. All HDMI cables are exactly the same.

There have been two different certification processes for HDMI cables, the latter introduced circa HDMI 1.3. It's entirely possible that older cables would fail to pass certification for higher speed use and will show blackouts or sparkling artifacts in use. Here's a reasonable article covering the subject.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So how do I enable HDR for my vanilla PS4?

My TV has the HDR-thingy on, is it per-game specific?

Pumpkins

What games would people recommend that really show off the Pro? Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I want to pick up a few games to justify the upgrade from my regular PS4. Also I have a 1080p monitor.

I also game on a 1080p monitor and just picked up a Pro yesterday. I haven't had a ton of time to play but I
noticed pretty huge improvements with BF1, Titanfall 2, and Ratchet and Clank. The Pro makes everything look much smoother and sharper. Objects rendered in the distance also retain definition and detail. BF1 no longer has that 900p pixel garble that's notcible during MP.

I remember someone describing the Pro as the "bullshot" console. It's an accurate description. The smoothness of the image makes everything look deluxe.

Ratchet and Clank looks flippin' insane. It's freaky how close it's starting to look to 3D film quality.

Mafia 3 is much sharper and I'm pretty sure the draw distance has been increased as well.

Watch Dogs 2 is stunning but I haven't seen that on a standard PS4, same goes for Dishonered 2.

Ryuuroden

So, I haven't bought a console since the gamecube and I've been a PC gamer since then. With the fact I have a family now (fiancée, kids, oldest kid is 9) I have decided to rejoin the console community. My gaming PC is off limits to the kids and fiancée since I use it for business running my company I don't trust anyone else to not compromise it to malware and such as well as it not being a good platform for family gaming.

I have decided to go with the ps4 pro and I am also going to get the vr set for Christmas for the family. My fiancée has a ps2 and 2 controllers. I have been out of the console loop for a long time so it's been a little confusing figuring out what I need and what I don't need. If someone could point out what I should get or where I should look for resources this would be much appreciated. Money is not an issue but I don't want to buy unnecessary things. My fiancée is a huge resident evil fan and I can't wait to surprise her with it and vr.

Hope this is the right thread to ask in.

OK, I reread the topic and found what I was looking for. From what I read, I need to get the ps4pro, psvr, PS camera, and 2 move controllers. I guess the question I have now is what other accessories should I check out that would be beneficial to me and what legacy controllers work on the ps4pro. Also does anyone have any recommendations of good ps4 and psvr games for kids ages 7 and 9. I am familiar with mainly PC games and the console games I'm familiar with are targeted towards older kids and adults.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did PS4 Pros come with a 20% off PSN coupon? I thought I read that, but couldn't find it in my box.

Unfortunately no :(

I was hoping they'd at least throw in a 15 day PS+ coupon or something, but absolutely nothing besides the HDMI cable and the shitty mono mic.

Lady Gaia

Yep, some more stability.

Good. I haven't had problems while actually playing a game but I have had the system lock up twice, once when putting it into rest mode and once when inserting a Blu-ray movie. Glad to see they're going after the rough spots in the experience as usual.

Shin-Ra

Man, they did not think out the design in regards to the USB ports on the front of the console. I don't have a single flash drive that can clear the bottom "parallelogram" and fully plug into the front USB ports. With the rear port being pretty much dedicated for my PSVR, I guess I'll just need to get a couple extenders or something. More than a little frustrating.
The SanDisk Ultra Fit recommended for the original PS4 still fits great, but you need to loop a wire or cable tie through the hole so it's easy to remove.

For those that had the UI lag when Infinite Warfare was loaded, todays 4.06 system firmware update seems to have fixed it for me, no lag while browsing the console UI with infinite warfare loaded :)
After pressing SHARE to take a screenshot in Infinite Warfare, sometimes pressing CIRCLE or CROSS would make sounds like you're controlling the OS at the same time as the game. Sounds like 4.05 wasn't cleanly switching between OS and game control.

-griffy-

Banned
Yep, the Ultra Fit's just nice because you can keep it plugged in without a large section sticking out.

Ah right, yeah that would make sense if you're using it for music and stuff and want to keep it plugged in. I just use it for offloading screenshots and video.

LastNac

You guys think we'll get a wider spread visually between a base model and a Pro version of a game. I was expecting cutscene quality character models in Uncharted 4. Is that so unlikely?

Amiibro

Does anyone else's Pro take a while to read the disc once you put it in? I might have switched on the setting BluRay Live (online support). I put in a DVD today and took about 45 seconds before it showed up to use.

b0bbyJ03

Anyone here with an LG OLED test out the new firmware for the B6? It supposedly fixes the HDCP problem. I can't test until I get out of work in a few hours but hopefully someone can report back.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You guys think we'll get a wider spread visually between a base model and a Pro version of a game. I was expecting cutscene quality character models in Uncharted 4. Is that so unlikely?

Maybe once developers start making game(s) with Pro enhancements in mind from the get go. So far all the games we've got were just about fully made with Pro enhancements thrown in at the end of the development cycle.

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe once developers start making game(s) with Pro enhancements in mind from the get go. So far all the games we've got were just about fully made with Pro enhancements thrown in at the end of the development cycle.

I'm no tech expert, but didn't developers have to task things to the CELL CPU of the PS3 that normally would have been on the GPU since its GPU sucked so hard? I wonder if we'll see awesome Pro modes for games from developers tasking things to the better GPU that normally would have been a CPU task. No idea if that's feasible, though.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Good. I haven't had problems while actually playing a game but I have had the system lock up twice, once when putting it into rest mode and once when inserting a Blu-ray movie. Glad to see they're going after the rough spots in the experience as usual.

I had it lock up while played MLB: The Show. I like they added the feature to have the system report the errors.

Peterthumpa

IMO that's not a problem with the hardware specs anymore, but really, it's a time consuming task. If every NPC had a Nathan Drake level of detail, games would take decades to ship.

Does anyone else's Pro take a while to read the disc once you put it in? I might have switched on the setting BluRay Live (online support). I put in a DVD today and took about 45 seconds before it showed up to use.

I think I've started to see this. Long reads by the disc drive, but I haven't done anything extensive to see how common it is. I know Rise of the Tomb Raider last night got stuck on boot up like the disc drive was taking a long time to read.

I think I've started to see this. Long reads by the disc drive, but I haven't done anything extensive to see how common it is. I know Rise of the Tomb Raider last night got stuck on boot up like the disc drive was taking a long time to read.

i had this problem with evil within disc that got stuck on boot but never happened again. (it only happened while downloading stuff in the background. i thought it was a fluke. hmmm i was thinking of exchanging the system for another

AndyD

aka andydumi

Maybe for future games. I would not judge capability and difference based on patches to old games.

b0bbyJ03

Where did you read this? LG announced that they are putting out a firmware fix directly to address the PS4 Pro issues by the end of the month.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/11/17/ps4-pro-tv-connection-woes-lg-responds/#584312514719

I read that there is a new firmware update that released today (04.30.60) so I called LG and asked if this was the firmware that was supposed to fix the compatibility with the PS4. The rep said yes but something about the way she spoke made me feel like she didn't really know what she was talking about which is why I came here to ask.

Besaide

Yeah, I figured I was one of the unlucky ones :(

It is nowhere near as loud as my launch PS4 was, but it is clearly audible. The odd thing is that it gets louder for no apparent reason...it got very loud when I was in the menu of TLOU, but quieted down when I went back to the game.

Probably because the framerate is uncapped in menus causing the gpu to work hard. I used to notice this in some games when I played on PC with fps monitoring on. If I didn't cap fps in rivaturner my gpu would go to 100% usage for no reason in menus and a lot less in game.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Unfortunately no :(

I was hoping they'd at least throw in a 15 day PS+ coupon or something, but absolutely nothing besides the HDMI cable and the shitty mono mic.
Cheap assess at Sony. Can't even throw in any decent extras with this Pro console.
The box/packaging is a step down from the OG PS4; it doesn't even have a plastic handle WTF is this bs packaging lol. They did everything to hit that $399 price huh.

i had this problem with evil within disc that got stuck on boot but never happened again. (it only happened while downloading stuff in the background. i thought it was a fluke. hmmm i was thinking of exchanging the system for another

I'm debating if I should exchange it or not. Right now it's definitely the easiest time to do so. I'll probably give it until Thanksgiving to see how it goes when I'll be able to play around with it more, but I'm definitely concerned about the problems I've been having in Tomb Raider.

GazzaGSi

After pressing SHARE to take a screenshot in Infinite Warfare, sometimes pressing CIRCLE or CROSS would make sounds like you're controlling the OS at the same time as the game. Sounds like 4.05 wasn't cleanly switching between OS and game control.

Glad someone else had that issue as I mentioneded it afew pages ago but no one seemed to experience it. Crouching or going prone sounded like I was pressing circle on the PS4 UI.

RavenHawk

Probably because the framerate is uncapped in menus causing the gpu to work hard. I used to notice this in some games when I played on PC with fps monitoring on. If I didn't cap fps in rivaturner my gpu would go to 100% usage for no reason in menus and a lot less in game.

Interesting theory. I don't recall running across that with my 7950, but it sounds plausible.

Vashetti

Banned

I really hate this, there is no reason to not cap the menu framerate, it just taxes the hardware.

sasliquid

Right, doing the transfer and it asks me to hold the old ps4s power button for 1 second to start it but that's just turning my old system off

Edit: fixed

ToiJu

garveyfpk7m.png

They are not in the 1.12 update coming this week, so next update means 1.13.

holygeesus

Banned
Mentioned this elsewhere but the latest update seems to have fixed my issue of the fans ramping up and down. Now it is a lot more consistent and very quiet compared to my launch PS4. Chuffed to bits.

Lima

Right, doing the transfer and it asks me to hold the old ps4s power button for 1 second to start it but that's just turning my old system off

That's what is supposed to do to avoid you interrupting the process. Literally just press the button once and your the beep.

bryanee

Watch Dogs 2 is stunning but I haven't seen that on a standard PS4, same goes for Dishonered 2.

I took my Pro to my dads last night and we compared Watch Dogs on his OG to Watch Dogs on the Pro and we switched between the two and I think the difference is quite big.

Anybody else getting a quick totally black screen during gameplay ? It is for only a split second.
Happened once last night in about 5 hours of team deathmatch and today once in 3 hours.
I dont think I saw this before the patch a few days ago.
Playing on ps4 pro. Hope nothing is wrong with the pros hdmi port.
Only seen this in bf1 - its all I've been playing lately.

Top Bottom