• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

RuhRo

I'm getting bad color banding in "The Witness" - but none in Deus Ex, Uncharted, or The Last of Us. Does Witness just have a terrible implementation of HDR?

I'm on a 2015 Samsung 4K HDR set. My Pro is set to auto and defaults to RGB for non-HDR conten, YUV422 for HDR (which shows banding in Witness but not other games). When I switch to YUV420 manually it does reduce - but doesn't eliminate - the banding effect.

Any suggestions from other Pro users on Samsung sets?

PikkonX

Mannn I just got home with my 4K TV and Ratchet and Clank in 4K just might be the best looking game I've ever seen. It's incredible.

Yeah it is on the most up to date firmware and i believe HDR was not on this set until it was patched in by the firmware update. However i am still getting the message that HDR is not supported at all rather then that 2k message. I know that the TV does indeed support HDR as it explicitly says you are enabling HDR support when you turn on enhanced mode for that hdmi output...

Very, very frustrating.

Hey, I think we have the same, or almost the same set. XBR810c.

Our TVs do not have HDR support. Yes, the patch from earlier this year stated it did, but those were general patch notes meant for the entire 2015 XBR line. Our TVs do not have Wide Color Gamut or any local dimming features required to do HDR.

Once the patch went out, a couple days later they changed the patch notes to reflect HDR support via HDMI added, except for the x810c and x830c. The lowest end Sony TV from 2015 that has HDR capabilities is the x850c.

Sp33Demon

My screen keeps going black for 3-5 seconds when I play Titanfall 2.

When I record the video clip and check it out the black screen doesn't appear.

Is my ps4 pro borked?

This happens anytime I switch inputs on my TV (Crazy nice and very cheap Samsung KU6290 40" 4K). I will start playing and with in a dew minutes the screen will go dark for a couple seconds and never return until I play switch inputs and play again. I just assumed there was some kind of HDCP handshake going on. It would make sense that the same thing is happening to you as the HDCP handshake is separate from the internal rendering and recording.

Haines

Banned
Going to test my disc drive when I get home. Wife said it was taking forever to see discs and sometimes not even.

I really don't want to have to replace it. I got it at Amazon.

jwc13ac

Nit picky, but does anyone else dislike the light strip going left to right on the Pro? I think because it fades out it makes it look crooked. Any way to changed this?

Didn't bug me on the OG but I think that's because it was vertical.

Other than that I love the thing. Not too loud, quick loading. Bring on FFXV.

Yeah it is on the most up to date firmware and i believe HDR was not on this set until it was patched in by the firmware update. However i am still getting the message that HDR is not supported at all rather then that 2k message. I know that the TV does indeed support HDR as it explicitly says you are enabling HDR support when you turn on enhanced mode for that hdmi output...

Very, very frustrating.

Are you using the hdmi cable that came with the pro?

Oxenfree dropped frames on PS4? lol
Yeah, it never really made sense to me, 'cause there are Unity games that run well.
Of course I decided to do two playthroughs in the past three days. At least it'll be there for my silent playthrough. There were definitely dropped frames or hitches in the opening area of the game.
I played through Oxenfree at the start of this month, before the Pro came out. Luckily I only did one playthrough, saving the subsequent ones for a later date.

And, damn, was Oxenfree awesome! I really enjoyed everything about it. The art style, the characters, the voicework, and the story. Oy vey, the story! What an awesome ride!

Oni Jazar

Going to test my disc drive when I get home. Wife said it was taking forever to see discs and sometimes not even.

I really don't want to have to replace it. I got it at Amazon.

I have a similar problem where I sometimes have to restart the system to see the disc.

yeah no problems after the update. i'm not sure though if it was Os related:
i never had any problems after the one time with Evil within.

i had problems with ps3 with background downloading while booting a game. so i figured that may be a possible culprit. but on the other hand i had a launch ps2 that just couldn't read discs that i had to exchange so i'm keeping my eye open that it could be a bad drive.

i'm going to try deleting and installing evil within and a few other disc based games this week just to make sure it's a not a drive issue.

Cool, I'm curious to see your results.

Experiencing this made me nervous because there are so many variables at play that I couldn't figure out exactly the problem. Between it being a brand new system that could be defective, a new platform that might have a bug in it, I swapped the hard drive which could have issues, the disc could be defective, or the game could have a bug in it because it's a new platform, it was hard to figure out.

I've got my fingers crossed it was just the OS update that fix everything because so far, I haven't been able to duplicate the problem where as before it was 100% reproducible. I've got The Evil Within and can try too to see if I can replicate your problem. I just want to rule out it's not the system while in the return window.

Trojan

Is it just me or is there a huge HDR disparity between The Last of Us and Uncharted 4? I know there's a resolution difference, but the HDR effect in UC4 is jaw dropping and I found TLOU to look washed out with poorly implemented contrast.

Uncharted 4 is worth the 50GB of space on my hard drive just so I can use it as an HDR showcase. Daaaayum.

Trojan

Regarding fan noise - my Pro is normally super quiet, but I have noticed that at certain parts of certain games (UC4) it will get louder. It's still produces less noise than my OG PS4, but I've only seen the fan kick up a couple of times.

tootie923

Yeah, it never really made sense to me, 'cause there are Unity games that run well.

I played through Oxenfree at the start of this month, before the Pro came out. Luckily I only did one playthrough, saving the subsequent ones for a later date.

And, damn, was Oxenfree awesome! I really enjoyed everything about it. The art style, the characters, the voicework, and the story. Oy vey, the story! What an awesome ride!

I enjoyed it a lot too, only thing that slightly bothered me was the walking speed on the second playthrough with repeating sections. I probably should have waited a few months to replay it. The New Game Plus content made it worth it though.

Humdinger

Yeah, Oxenfree was a great indie game. I enjoyed it a lot. I am surprised to hear it got a Pro patch.

Haines

Banned
I have a similar problem where I sometimes have to restart the system to see the disc.

My wife claimed it was more dvds.

I cMe home and tried some BDS and DVD and couldn't get the issue to replicate. We're both going to pay attention tho and any unfixable problems arise it's going back. I had an Xbox one that started out questionable and eventually would not work after warranty ended.

crushy

Neo Member
After playing Progames for a week, I went back and played GTAV yesterday.... Boy does it look blurry. Hard to go back.

Cool, I'm curious to see your results.

Experiencing this made me nervous because there are so many variables at play that I couldn't figure out exactly the problem. Between it being a brand new system that could be defective, a new platform that might have a bug in it, I swapped the hard drive which could have issues, the disc could be defective, or the game could have a bug in it because it's a new platform, it was hard to figure out.

I've got my fingers crossed it was just the OS update that fix everything because so far, I haven't been able to duplicate the problem where as before it was 100% reproducible. I've got The Evil Within and can try too to see if I can replicate your problem. I just want to rule out it's not the system while in the return window.

Same: i want to do it during the return window. Marty, what was it that you were able to replicate 100%? but it sounds like a software issue if the latest patch resolved it.

ok, tonight i deleted Evil Within (everything associated with, i don't really have any far saves) i put in the disc, and as the ps4 began to auto download the patch i booted it up and no issues. (i hear the normal drive noises for the next 10 mins while playing as the disc is installing the game on the HDD) no frozen screen as last time. (it Froze right before the Havok screen right at the beginning after the Bethesda logo ends.
after the patch installed, i restarted the game and no issues.

i also installed Ratchet and Clank and same positive results. i played while the game was installing and no issues. so far so good.

Same: i want to do it during the return window. Marty, what was it that you were able to replicate 100%? but it sounds like a software issue if the latest patch resolved it.

ok, tonight i deleted Evil Within (everything associated with, i don't really have any far saves) i put in the disc, and as the ps4 began to auto download the patch i booted it up and no issues. (i hear the normal drive noises for the next 10 mins while playing as the disc is installing the game on the HDD) no frozen screen as last time. (it Froze right before the Havok screen right at the beginning after the Bethesda logo ends.
after the patch installed, i restarted the game and no issues.

i also installed Ratchet and Clank and same positive results. i played while the game was installing and no issues. so far so good.

I had a problem where when you start a new game, the opening cinematic would stutter in spots. It wasn't always the same point, but it would stutter a bunch of times right before you got to the first actual playable part of the game. It didn't do that on my OG PS4, but 100% of the time would on the Pro. It was like it was trying to load off the disc but couldn't fast enough. You could hear the drive going too and it would happen even with or without the Pro patch installed. Once the OS update happened, I could no longer make it happen.

I had a problem where when you start a new game, the opening cinematic would stutter in spots. It wasn't always the same point, but it would stutter a bunch of times right before you got to the first actual playable part of the game. It didn't do that on my OG PS4, but 100% of the time would on the Pro. It was like it was trying to load off the disc but couldn't fast enough. You could hear the drive going too and it would happen even with or without the Pro patch installed. Once the OS update happened, I could no longer make it happen.

thanks! it sounds like the patched helped if there's no more stuttering (fingers crossed), unless you replaced the HDD.

(i'm on the factory HDD myself) i'll do some more testing tomorrow and report back if there any drive issues.

Velikost

Out of the handful of titles that had issues on the Pro when compared to the base PS4, how many have been patched? I know Watchdogs 2 was, but what about the rest.

mitchman

Gold Member
My screen keeps going black for 3-5 seconds when I play Titanfall 2.

When I record the video clip and check it out the black screen doesn't appear.

Is my ps4 pro borked?

No, likely the HDCP sync issues some are seeing. Until Sony fixes it, try disabling DHCP.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I've asked this before but has anyone tried JUST CAUSE 3 and notice any improvements?

The framerate is fine, the latest patch just brought about a frame pacing issue on both base PS4 & Pro, only the high framerate mode currently doesn't suffer from it.
Well it makes the game look terrible and feels like the frame rate has problems. It's unplayable to me.

mileS

I'm having troubles with my Gold headset. Most of the time when I turn it on it starts to do its thing, then it says it switched to usb and the red light flicks on the headset itself. I basically have to plug it in to the system and then turn it on a few times to get it to finally work. Not sure what is going on but I didn't have these problems with the old system.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can anyone access NeoGAF on PS4? Asking here since its probably the most active general PS4 thread. I havnt been able to for months now, both on PS4 standard and Pro. I can access Neogaf.com fine, but i cant view any threads.

KORNdoggy

i'm thinking this is what i'm going to treat myself with for xmas.

what are the main issues people are having? i keep hearing there are problems with the screen going black in PSVR? is that fixed yet?

Gacha-pin

Can anyone access NeoGAF on PS4? Asking here since its probably the most active general PS4 thread. I havnt been able to for months now, both on PS4 standard and Pro. I can access Neogaf.com fine, but i cant view any threads.

I've never thought to browse neogaf on PS4.
BKI6brY.png

Planet

is 2tb the maximum hdd size i guess thats out for 2.5inch drives right?
Yes, for PS4 reasons at least. There are bigger HDDs, but they are higher than standard and won't fit. And there are bigger SSDs, but they are way out of reach for average gamers. The PS4 supports 4TB just fine, though.

I have a PC with a GTX 1070 and am considering a PS4 Pro. Once I upgrade to a 4K TV, I'm still going to be better off going with PC versions of games, right?

Trojan

I have a PC with a GTX 1070 and am considering a PS4 Pro. Once I upgrade to a 4K TV, I'm still going to be better off going with PC versions of games, right?

It's totally subjective. If you mean graphically then, yes, your PC with a 1070 will probably be able to run the majority of current games faster and/or at a higher resolution as long as you have a decent CPU. As long as you have a monitor vs a TV for your PC, you can run everything at 1440 with your PC while for PS4 Pro you have a handful of games that are either 4K, checkerboard 4K, or some other upscaling resolution.

But there are more HDR games available for PS4 Pro by a mile so if that's more important then you might want to go that direction. Come to think of it, I can't name any PC games that support HDR off the top of my head.

I have a Pro and a good PC, and while my PC can destroy the Pro graphically there are still some titles I would prefer to get from PSN for one reason or another.

I have a weird question. When plugging in the new power cable (UK model), when the cable is not plugged all the way in, do you get electric shock noises between the connectors?

Just wondering if it is a fault or simply normal. When the cable is fully plugged in there is no noise.

test_account

XP-39C²
I've never thought to browse neogaf on PS4.
Thanks for checking! :) Then its something wrong with my PS4 for whatever reason. The problem is that it doesnt seem to be able to link to the NeoGAF database. I've tried to delete cache and everything, but the problem is still there. Here is what it looks like at my end. I had to manually enter the the url, i cant browse the threads:

BsV1WBH.jpg

Murman

Anyone experiencing any graphical glitches? I'm seeing some blue artifacts every now and again in the Last of Us running on the 1800p / 60fps mode. I'm gonna try and re-install it tonight to see if the issues continue...but immediately i'm thinking it may be a heating problem of some kind.

I haven't seen the problem in any other game, although i've mainly been playing last of us since I got it. The console itself is rather quiet so I guess it could be a faulty fan or something but it does blow hot air out the back, the surface of the console is warm but not scolding hot (like you might expect if a fan isn't working correctly).

eastx

Yes, but if you are signed in on your primary, it signs you out.
If you make the non primary console your primary, the people who sign in on it using their own account, can play your games. You can then sign in on your console, which is now the non primiary one, and still play your games as it will recognize you and allow you to access all your things.

I tested this today, and unfortunately it's incorrect.

If you own two PlayStation 4s, nobody else but you can play digital games you own on your non-primary console. Signing in on the non-primary system as the game owner and then signing someone else in will not allow the non-game owner to play it. Super lame.

Top Bottom