• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

holygeesus

Banned
I set up my Pro and now I find out my amp doesn't support HDCP 2.2.

So, uhh, now what? My telly has one port that supports it but then how do I get audio through my speaker system?

Help?

ARC from your TV to your amp? Or use the optical out of your TV to the optical in on your amp?

d9b

Banned
The picture is deceiving. It has about 6 inches of clearance from the top shelf, 5-6 inches on the sides, and another 5-6 inches from the back of the wall (I did that just now to get it away from the wall a bit more, hence the overhang on the front, going to try that placement now). My previous PS4 had about 2-3 inches of clearance from the wall, and 2-3 on the sides. Only got barely audible.

All of that being said, there does seem to be a lot of varying opinions on this. My launch PS4 was screaming loud, from the day I bought it. The 2nd revision I traded it in for last November was very quiet. This one may be even louder than the launch PS4.

Dat dust tho ;_;

ElNino

So, uhh, now what? My telly has one port that supports it but then how do I get audio through my speaker system?

Help?
Yes, that is a problem some (many?) will deal with. Your receiver/amp will need to support 4k/HDR pass through as well as the TV. When I upgrade my TV for 4k, I'll need to get a new receiver as well.

ARC from your TV to your amp? Or use the optical out of your TV to the optical in on your amp?
You can do that, but then you would (likely) downgrade the audio to stereo.

deadfolk

Gang,

Even if you are in EU/Asia/whatever, if you have a pro and an NA PSN account, try logging into it on your pro.

You may have a surprise $10 gift from Shu waiting for you. I did.

So my girlfriend just gave me money to get a PS4 Pro. This would be my first Playstation since the PS2 days. But where's the best place to buy one? With the Black Friday sales approaching, want to get the best possible deal.
Target. Get the wishlist app to get a 10% coupon. If you have the red card, it's another 5% which brings it down to $342.

Really wish the transfer gave you an ETA throughout. It's ran 5 minutes over the ETA so far and I've no idea if it's even doing anything. Kind of frustrating to just have to leave it and hope somethings actually happening right now.

SMD

I've no idea what ARC is but I'll pick up an optical cable tomorrow after work and give it a go.

I'm gonna have to buy a new amp if I get a Scorpio, aren't I?

AndyD

aka andydumi
You'd need to check the TV can send multi-channel audio from external sources via ARC. If not I guess you're down to optical and bog-standard 5.1 DD/DTS.

A lot of newer TVs have up to 5.1 via ARC, so it's not all bad.

Really wish the transfer gave you an ETA throughout. It's ran 5 minutes over the ETA so far and I've no idea if it's even doing anything. Kind of frustrating to just have to leave it and hope somethings actually happening right now.

5 minutes on a multi-hour transfer is not much. It's largely an estimate for a reason.

I've no idea what ARC is but I'll pick up an optical cable tomorrow after work and give it a go.

HDMI-ARC is a standard where you can send audio through HDMI on its own, for control by another device.

The most-used method for this is:

TV <HDMI-ARC< Soundbar

That way, you can use your TV remote (or anything that sends your TV a remote signal of volume) and the TV will tell the soundbar to adjust volume accordingly. Really great for a family setting where you just want to use your cable box remote to control everything.

Downside is that you don't get the full HDMI bandwidth so some surround standards are a no-go

A lot of newer TVs have up to 5.1 via ARC, so it's not all bad.

5 minutes on a multi-hour transfer is not much. It's largely an estimate for a reason.

You're right, it's just a peace of mind thing so I know somethings actually happening. All done now anyway, just gotta set uo the old system for my cousin and wire up my new one. Pretty excited at this point.

SMD

HDMI-ARC is a standard where you can send audio through HDMI on its own, for control by another device.

TV <HDMI-ARC< Soundbar

That way, you can use your TV remote (or anything that sends your TV a remote signal of volume) and the TV will tell the soundbar to adjust volume accordingly. Really great for a family setting where you just want to use your cable box remote to control everything.

Downside is that you don't get the full HDMI bandwidth so some surround standards are a no-go

I've got a 5.1 system so I dunno how that'd work with my amp. To be honest, one optical cable sounds a lot less complicated (i'm fucking clueless when it comes to AV stuff)

TV <HDMI-ARC< Soundbar

It should be noted that HDMI-ARC isn't a requirement for your scenario; HDMI-CEC also allows you to do this too.

Humdinger

But I agree with you that the 4K mode downsampled does a better job at giving you better image quality. In fact, it is pretty much consensus.

Interesting that downsampled images, rather than the special 1080p modes, seem to be more popular. It may be that the special 1080p modes will fade with time.

For 1080p TVs, would the performance and visuals be noticeable? Genuine question.

Oh, sure. For me, yes. It does seem to vary by individual (some are more sensitive to this than others), and it certainly varies by game. Probably varies by TV set and distance, too.

There are a number of threads that go into detail on this. Here are two examples:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310043

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318119

Audioboxer

Help?

Exact same problem I had. Bought a 4K passthrough amp this year and then boom, HDR isn't supported because the HDMI spec changed again lol...

I'm using arc on my TV. Plug the AMP HDMI into ARC HDMI on your TV (might already be here). Then the Pro directly into another TV HDMI slot.

Most TVs pass through DD and DTS fine. They don't do 5.1 PCM though, just 2.1 PCM. So it's live with DD and DTS or buy a new amp for 5.1/7.1 PCM.

Or you can use an optical cable, but ARC is far more convenient.

re-posting from UC4 OT

So, I'm having a bit of a performance issue and I'm not sure if it's the game or just me.

PS4 Pro
HDR on
LG 55UH6150, HDR vivid setting

I just got to Chapter 9, and suddenly, there's some pixelation going on when I move the camera around Drake and on some of the foliage. I tried messing around with the noise reduction on my TV, but it seems to have no effect. Any idea what this could be?

meanspartan

Is the HDMI cable that came with this what I need for my new 4kTV with some bit of HDR (it is the samsung 6300, which doesn't have "full" HDR but close)?

Don't wanna be a sucker and buy one of those $30 cables if I don't need one.

JP

Wasn't sure which of the many PS4 Pro threads to post this in, the v1.04 patch for Oxenfree adds PS4 Pro support...
-Enabled PS4 Pro compatibility for a more steady framerate.

Canon

Banned
OK so Sony has no email support and their live-chat site hasn't worked for 3 days straight. I contacted them on Twitter and they didn't help me at all.

We are unable to process your Chat request at this time. You can tweet support questions to @AskPlayStation or contact us by phone at 800-345-7669. Thank you!

This is during normal business hours.

barit

The picture is deceiving. It has about 6 inches of clearance from the top shelf, 5-6 inches on the sides, and another 5-6 inches from the back of the wall (I did that just now to get it away from the wall a bit more, hence the overhang on the front, going to try that placement now). My previous PS4 had about 2-3 inches of clearance from the wall, and 2-3 on the sides. Only got barely audible.

All of that being said, there does seem to be a lot of varying opinions on this. My launch PS4 was screaming loud, from the day I bought it. The 2nd revision I traded it in for last November was very quiet. This one may be even louder than the launch PS4.

Don't undererstimate the heat from other electronic sources like that PC in the picture. What use has it when the PS4 just gets even more hot air for cooling.

Do games tell you when they're using pro mode and are there options to toggle it off or on? I tried Watch Dogs 2 and saw no indication I was using pro.

I never play FPS games but I have the itch to play one in 4K on my new TV with my surround system booming.

Does anyone have a recommendation between for a Battlefield or Call of Duty with a 4K patch?

I don't want to play the outer space one, that looks stupid.

leng jai

I never play FPS games but I have the itch to play one in 4K on my new TV with my surround system booming.

Does anyone have a recommendation between for a Battlefield or Call of Duty with a 4K patch?

BF1 easily considering you want the full surround sound experience as well. Infinite Warfare has a great campaign and one of the most impressive Pro titles.

Naar

Titanfall 2 is pro enabled and is a great game for surround as well!

nemisis0

Do games tell you when they're using pro mode and are there options to toggle it off or on? I tried Watch Dogs 2 and saw no indication I was using pro.

Doesn't tell you but trust me I have tried watch dogs 2 on both and it's much more better in the pro, especially the AA.

Traded in my PS4 two days ago for a pro and I have had nothing but frustrations with it. First i have a late 2015 model KD55X8000C Sony TV that is 4K and HDR compliant. The PRO did not want to display in 4K RGB and said HDR was not supported by my TV. Did a google and found that you needed to adjust the hdmi input to "enhanced" so it could display RGB and HDR. I did that and while it now displays in the highest resolution it still says HDR is not supported. I have tried everything.... moving to another 2 ports without success and kicking around with every th setting I could find that could possibly be related to HDR.

The thing is, I have seen some people have the issue where it says HDR is not fully supported like "can only display in 2k" or something to that effect but mine just flat out says unsupported. I tried infamous second son and the settings confirm that HDR is unsupported while in game as well.

Anyone have any possible fixes for me to try with the Sony TV or am I SOL until Sony fixes this?

Is there a list of pro supported games somewhere? I'd like to try a bunch out tonight in a bit of a binge session and hoping I own a few. I can't really afford any new games since my cash is saved for FFXV and the purchase was mostly for new games going forward but I'd really like to see what the machine can do. I've tried WD2 and was impressed. I've tried the FFXV Judgement Demo and was pleased by the smoothness, but couldn't work out how to toggle between performance/graphics since I can't read it.

Any disc drive issues?

Mine has had issues reading discs I load

I once had trouble where Rise of the Tomb Raider got stuck on the initial boot up and it sounded like it was the disc having trouble being read.

same but with Evil Within. i think the culprit was i was downloading multiple digital games in the background while loading a disc for the first time but that shouldn't be an excuse.

so far it hasn't been an issue. i got a quiet one so i'm hesitant to replace it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Traded in my PS4 two days ago for a pro and I have had nothing but frustrations with it. First i have a late 2015 model KD55X8000C Sony TV that is 4K and HDR compliant. The PRO did not want to display in 4K RGB and said HDR was not supported by my TV. Did a google and found that you needed to adjust the hdmi input to "enhanced" so it could display RGB and HDR. I did that and while it now displays in the highest resolution it still says HDR is not supported. I have tried everything.... moving to another 2 ports without success and kicking around with every th setting I could find that could possibly be related to HDR.

The thing is, I have seen some people have the issue where it says HDR is not fully supported like "can only display in 2k" or something to that effect but mine just flat out says unsupported. I tried infamous second son and the settings confirm that HDR is unsupported while in game as well.

Anyone have any possible fixes for me to try with the Sony TV or am I SOL until Sony fixes this?

Have you updated the firmware on your TV? I sort of recall the 2015 "C" line of TV's supporting HDR only through an eventual firmware update that released sometime earlier this year. (I myself have a 2014 "B" model which didn't get the update...)

Try updating and see if that helps. If not, keep in mind that it is possible the baked on software-enabled HDR the C-line got via firmware could be a rather mundane rendition of it(hence your 2K message). It wasn't until the 2016 "D" models that Sony implemented HDR at the factory level into their sets.

tootie923

Wasn't sure which of the many PS4 Pro threads to post this in, the v1.04 patch for Oxenfree adds PS4 Pro support...
-Enabled PS4 Pro compatibility for a more steady framerate.

Of course I decided to do two playthroughs in the past three days. At least it'll be there for my silent playthrough. There were definitely dropped frames or hitches in the opening area of the game.

Have you updated the firmware on your TV? I sort of recall the 2015 "C" line of TV's supporting HDR only through an eventual firmware update that released sometime earlier this year. (I myself have a 2014 "B" model which didn't get the update...)

Try updating and see if that helps. If not, keep in mind that it is possible the baked on software-enabled HDR the C-line got via firmware could be a rather mundane rendition of it(hence your 2K message). It wasn't until the 2016 "D" models that Sony implemented HDR at the factory level into their sets.

Yeah it is on the most up to date firmware and i believe HDR was not on this set until it was patched in by the firmware update. However i am still getting the message that HDR is not supported at all rather then that 2k message. I know that the TV does indeed support HDR as it explicitly says you are enabling HDR support when you turn on enhanced mode for that hdmi output...

Very, very frustrating.

same but with Evil Within. i think the culprit was i was downloading multiple digital games in the background while loading a disc for the first time but that shouldn't be an excuse.

so far it hasn't been an issue. i got a quiet one so i'm hesitant to replace it.

I'm curious, have you seen that problem since the OS 4.06 update? That update resolved my Tomb Raider issues, so I'm wondering if the drive problem was resolved with the OS update.

Boke1879

Might seem like an odd question.

Is there no pick up in store option if you order from BB? I tried doing that today just to see how much the taxes were and it didn't offer me a pick up in store option. Only shipping.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Might seem like an odd question.

Is there no pick up in store option if you order from BB? I tried doing that today just to see how much the taxes were and it didn't offer me a pick up in store option. Only shipping.

there should be. usually if there is no store pickup option it means that store doesn't have stock or their online inventory might be down. i would try again later.

LOLCats

Banned

Help?

Hdmi to tv, ps4 optical out to amp. Not the best audio solution. But acceptable.

I'm curious, have you seen that problem since the OS 4.06 update? That update resolved my Tomb Raider issues, so I'm wondering if the drive problem was resolved with the OS update.

yeah no problems after the update. i'm not sure though if it was Os related:
i never had any problems after the one time with Evil within.

i had problems with ps3 with background downloading while booting a game. so i figured that may be a possible culprit. but on the other hand i had a launch ps2 that just couldn't read discs that i had to exchange so i'm keeping my eye open that it could be a bad drive.

i'm going to try deleting and installing evil within and a few other disc based games this week just to make sure it's a not a drive issue.

Big Chungus

My screen keeps going black for 3-5 seconds when I play Titanfall 2.

When I record the video clip and check it out the black screen doesn't appear.

Is my ps4 pro borked?

Top Bottom