• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Scrawnton

So Gamestop is running a deal on trade ins today with an extra 50% for systems. I have two PS4s and I can trade the one in for roughly $180. Is the pro upgrade worth it for me if I have a 4K HDR tv?

eastx

So Gamestop is running a deal on trade ins today with an extra 50% for systems. I have two PS4s and I can trade the one in for roughly $180. Is the pro upgrade worth it for me if I have a 4K HDR tv?

You do have a 4K TV? Then it's absolutely worth the upgrade.

black070

I may be wrong, but the Pro section of the Playstation Store has been updated to include The Ezio Collection, Darksiders Warmastered Edition, and King of Fighters XIV, the former two are Pro enhanced, as is every other title listed so I'm assuming King of Fighters XIV has been patched.

Scrawnton

It is totally worth it then.

Of course it's worth it. Do it already.

If you don't, it's still worth it.

Alright I went to Gamestop.com and had them hold a pro for me at my local store. I'll do these transactions after work. My games are digital and I have 150mbps internet but PS4 barely hits those speeds. Does pro have better download speeds so I can at least play something this evening?

Crumpo

I tested this today, and unfortunately it's incorrect.

If you own two PlayStation 4s, nobody else but you can play digital games you own on your non-primary console. Signing in on the non-primary system as the game owner and then signing someone else in will not allow the non-game owner to play it. Super lame.

Are you sure you're following the advice correctly? It sounds like you might have mixed up a step. So you have 2 ps4s and 2 psn ids; for sharing to work you need to have your ps4 set as primary to your OH's psn account, and their ps4 as primary to your psn account. Anyone logging into the primary ps4 has the right to play your games and you will also have the right on the non-primary.

Once done you aren't logging anyone else in to the console, or are you trying to play local multiplayer games?

Planet

Does pro have better download speeds so I can at least play something this evening?
The PS4 doesn't have a defect or something that keeps the speeds down due to internal struggle of any kind. So no, there won't be any change to that.

What makes downloads slow is PSN not being able to cope with the load and (very often) problems caused by your own ISP. When someone in Germany complains about slow PSN, in the vast majority of the cases they have cable based (and IPv6 only) internet. That sometimes, somehow, but not for everyone, screws up routing big time.

That said, for me, PSN almost always downloads just fine. 95% of the time I get above 3 megabytes per second which is about 50% of my theoretical capacity (50 MBit/s), often close to max.

Drewfonse

Anyone experiencing any graphical glitches? I'm seeing some blue artifacts every now and again in the Last of Us running on the 1800p / 60fps mode. I'm gonna try and re-install it tonight to see if the issues continue...but immediately i'm thinking it may be a heating problem of some kind.

I haven't seen the problem in any other game, although i've mainly been playing last of us since I got it. The console itself is rather quiet so I guess it could be a faulty fan or something but it does blow hot air out the back, the surface of the console is warm but not scolding hot (like you might expect if a fan isn't working correctly).

I have a Js8500, and I was experiencing blue, thin flashes intermitently. When I turned off UHD color on that TV input, and then turned it back on, it solved the problem.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The PS4 doesn't have a defect or something that keeps the speeds down due to internal struggle of any kind. So no, there won't be any change to that.

What makes downloads slow is PSN not being able to cope with the load and (very often) problems caused by your own ISP. When someone in Germany complains about slow PSN, in the vast majority of the cases they have cable based (and IPv6 only) internet. That sometimes, somehow, but not for everyone, screws up routing big time.

That said, for me, PSN almost always downloads just fine. 95% of the time I get above 3 megabytes per second which is about 50% of my theoretical capacity (50 MBit/s), often close to max.

No, the PS4 has a terrible wifi antenna. Pro's is vastly improved and so are download speeds.

eastx

Are you sure you're following the advice correctly? It sounds like you might have mixed up a step. So you have 2 ps4s and 2 psn ids; for sharing to work you need to have your ps4 set as primary to your OH's psn account, and their ps4 as primary to your psn account. Anyone logging into the primary ps4 has the right to play your games and you will also have the right on the non-primary.

Once done you aren't logging anyone else in to the console, or are you trying to play local multiplayer games?

I'm aware that everyone can play everything on the primary system. I keep specifying non-primary system, as I want other family members to be able to play on that specific system sometimes when I'm not around. They could do that on Xbox 360 or Xbox One by signing me in first and then signing themselves in. That's not possible on PlayStation 4 or Pro, it turns out.

Scrawnton

No, the PS4 has a terrible wifi antenna. Pro's is vastly improved and so are download speeds.

I'm hardwired in. I downloaded the judgement disc FF15 demo (13gbs) in about 30 minutes lastnight. So I probably won't see any improvements being wired in?

Planet

No, the PS4 has a terrible wifi antenna. Pro's is vastly improved
I didn't have any issues with PS4's WiFi signal strength, it surely depends how distant your router is. But I had it on Ethernet soon after, same with the Pro, after making sure everything is fine. My OG PS4 was a CUH-1100 though, I heard they have modified the antenna for this revision.

Syranth

I may be wrong, but the Pro section of the Playstation Store has been updated to include The Ezio Collection, Darksiders Warmastered Edition, and King of Fighters XIV, the former two are Pro enhanced, as is every other title listed so I'm assuming King of Fighters XIV has been patched.

Is this the web based store or the one in the system? I can't find a customized storefront for games but would love to!

BigEmil

KOF XIV Pro patch? Need to check this out, hopefully SFV follows too and Tekken 7 and Injustice 2

Syranth

The one on the system itself - it's a very handy section that's been pretty upto date, so I can't imagine this being a mistake.

Sadly I can't find a section called that when logged into my system. I activated it as my primary just a while ago so maybe it needs time to update unless it's buried in the menus. I don't own a PlayStation VR but it's really trying to push those games on me.

I'm in a state of confusion as to whether to trade in my only 4 month old PS4 for a Pro. I have a 4K TV and a good amp so I'm tempted but I've also read a few mixed opinions on here as to whether it's really worth it. Advice is appreciated as to how much difference it will make. I feel like I'm missing out a little but not sure whether I should just wait a while and see how it all pans out.

Mikey Jr.

I'm in a state of confusion as to whether to trade in my only 4 month old PS4 for a Pro. I have a 4K TV and a good amp so I'm tempted but I've also read a few mixed opinions on here as to whether it's really worth it. Advice is appreciated as to how much difference it will make. I feel like I'm missing out a little but not sure whether I should just wait a while and see how it all pans out.

You having a 4k tv puts me in the "get it" column. If you only had 1080p, I'd wait.

Before you buy, do some research on which games have 4k and if you want to play them. I think going forward, most games coming out will have pro modes.

I have 1080p tv, and I think it looks great. Downsampling gives everything 4x anti aliasing. The image quality just looks crisp. But I could also live without it right now. I'm mainly interested in the pro locking games to 30. I don't give a shit about 60. Makes everything look artificial, so the advantages of pro are good for me.

Tomeru

Does HDR require extra processing? Does it stress the hardware more (the ps4, ps4p and xone s)? And does it look the same on all consoles, if they are all cohooked up to the same tv? Lastly, why doesn't the og xone capable of HDR?

Audioboxer

Does HDR require extra processing? Does it stress the hardware more (the ps4, ps4p and xone s)?

I don't actually know technically. If you mean if you turn it on might you drop FPS, I don't think so. The way I've looked at it in everyday noob terms is it is just an alternative way of rendering, so if your TV supports it it is something a game can take advantage of rather than have to work harder.

Someone better versed than me can answer. It maybe does add a small tax to the hardware, but it must be small as I don't think DF is going around saying turn on HDR and have worse off performance.

Sadly I can't find a section called that when logged into my system. I activated it as my primary just a while ago so maybe it needs time to update unless it's buried in the menus. I don't own a PlayStation VR but it's really trying to push those games on me.

I came in here to say the same thing, I also cannot find this store page on my console. Do different regions have different store pages?

Planet

Does HDR require extra processing? Does it stress the hardware more (the ps4, ps4p and xone s)?
It sure does, but the point is: this extra processing has been done for years now. Internally almost all modern games render with high precision color formats, to keep accumulating errors in check. They normally map the colors in the last step to the color space you can display. With HDR displays, they can output the full glory, and it doesn't stress the hardware at all.
Lastly, why doesn't the og xone capable of HDR?
Probably the HDMI chip doesn't have the bandwith. The original PS4 was designed with PS VR in mind, so they gave it an extra bit of leeway there (used to output @120 FPS), and it can be exploited to transport the extra data.

Mikey Jr.

Fuckin Sony. On Sunday, I talked to them because I didn't deactivate my original ps4 before trading it.

I did a quick wipe, but I guess that wasn't enough because I can't make my pro primary.

They said they'd send an email within 1 business day, but haven't gotten jack shit.

Tomeru

I don't actually know technically. If you mean if you turn it on might you drop FPS, I don't think so. The way I've looked at it in everyday noob terms is it is just an alternative way of rendering, so if your TV supports it it is something a game can take advantage of rather than have to work harder.

Someone better versed than me can answer. It maybe does add a small tax to the hardware, but it must be small as I don't think DF is going around saying turn on HDR and have worse off performance.

It sure does, but the point is: this extra processing has been done for years now. Internally almost all modern games render with high precision color formats, to keep accumulating errors in check. They normally map the colors in the last step to the color space you can display. With HDR displays, they can output the full glory, and it doesn't stress the hardware at all.

Probably the HDMI chip doesn't have the bandwith. The original PS4 was designed with PS VR in mind, so they gave it an extra bit of leeway there (used to output @120 FPS), and it can be exploited to transport the extra data.

Thank you both.=

Lucifon

Still does the exact same bug where downloads say they're going to take forever then you pause and resume a few times until it kicks up to reasonable speeds.

Used to think it was my connection or something but I'm in a new house, with a fresh new ps4 pro (nothing transferred), with a significantly faster fibre connection rather than broadband, new router, still does the same bug. Sony introduced it in 2.0 IIRC and still haven't fixed that bullshit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm aware that everyone can play everything on the primary system. I keep specifying non-primary system, as I want other family members to be able to play on that specific system sometimes when I'm not around. They could do that on Xbox 360 or Xbox One by signing me in first and then signing themselves in. That's not possible on PlayStation 4 or Pro, it turns out.

Shit I was worried that would be the case. Xb1 is a bit better then because you can be signed in in the background and others can play your games?

I wish Sony would change their policy. It rewards game sharers e.g. Friends, but isn't good for actual families. Why do they care where I'm logged in, as long as I can only be logged in once?

eastx

Shit I was worried that would be the case. Xb1 is a bit better then because you can be signed in in the background and others can play your games?

I wish Sony would change their policy. It rewards game sharers e.g. Friends, but isn't good for actual families. Why do they care where I'm logged in, as long as I can only be logged in once?

Exactly. Glad someone understands my concerns. But people who own multiples of the same system in one household are the minority, of course. A friend of mine suggested the current limitation is an overcompensation for the generous gamesharing abilities of the PlayStation 3.

breakfuss

Just tried Knack on the Pro. Still as awful as I recall. No uptick in frame rate or resolution can salvage this piece of shit. I mean, really, I cannot believe the same studio (if I'm not mistaken) is responsible for Puppeteer. DELETED.

XGoldenboyX

Just tried Knack on the Pro. Still as awful as I recall. No uptick in frame rate or resolution can salvage this piece of shit. I mean, really, I cannot believe the same studio (if I'm not mistaken) is responsible for Puppeteer. DELETED.

That's a Bit Harsh, I bought this game for my kids and I ended up playing through it, its quite nice, smooth music and fun gameplay. It has a animation feel and quality to it.

I recommend it.

That's a Bit Harsh, I bought this game for my kids and I ended up playing through it, its quite nice, smooth music and fun gameplay. It has a animation feel and quality to it.

I recommend it.

People love to be harsh on it for no reason. It's not a masterpiece but it's not near as bad as people make it out to be

Top Bottom