• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Crumpo

Yep. New controller seems to fix the old DS4 issues & have 2x battery life.

Your old controller must have been losing charge (pseudo-placebo effect) because they cracked the new controller open when the slim released and it had the same battery in it.

MAX PAYMENT

I honestly can't tell the difference between the two other than the light bar.

Feels the same as my anniversary controller. Maybe the battery life is a tad better, but it doesn't feel like much.

Alchemist

Finally got my Pro after selling my OG model. P.T. restored all of my settings are good.

Was it just me who trouble turning this on for the first time? The buttons on the console are weird imo.

j-wood

Did you max out your backlight and contrast on the tv?

Yeah, the backlight and contrast are both maxed.

Is it normal when quitting a game running HDR that the screen goes black for a minute? I'm assuming/hoping it's because it's switching back to an SDR signal.

I just want to be sure I guess that the tv is working properly so far since I haven't been able to tell a HUGE difference by toggling hdr on and off in those games.

JohngPR

Finally got my Pro after selling my OG model. P.T. restored all of my settings are good.

Was it just me who trouble turning this on for the first time? The buttons on the console are weird imo.

They are but you get used to them. I think the reset button is easier to use than the power one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

No. This is absolutely not true.

While it may not be 2X, i can personally attest that it's much better than the 6~ hours the DS4 version 1 seemed to have. I usually turn vibration off if the game allows it (can't find a universal setting for turning it off completely, maybe I missed it in settings), but I played about 12, 14 hours of Shadow of Mordor before I had to charge the battery.

The combination of turning vibration off and dimming the LED light seems to get it lasting a hell of a lot longer.

Yeah, the backlight and contrast are both maxed.

Is it normal when quitting a game running HDR that the screen goes black for a minute? I'm assuming/hoping it's because it's switching back to an SDR signal.

I just want to be sure I guess that the tv is working properly so far since I haven't been able to tell a HUGE difference by toggling hdr on and off in those games.
Yes, your TV is switching the type of video input as the PS4 Pro changes, too.
While it may not be 2X, i can personally attest that it's much better than the 6~ hours the DS4 version 1 seemed to have. I usually turn vibration off if the game allows it (can't find a universal setting for turning it off completely, maybe I missed it in settings), but I played about 12, 14 hours of Shadow of Mordor before I had to charge the battery.

The combination of turning vibration off and dimming the LED light seems to get it lasting a hell of a lot longer.
Well, yeah, of course turning off rumble is going to make the battery last long. Anecdotal evidence, but same settings as I had with my previous DS4s, I didn't notice any difference in battery life.

Sometimes I hook up the new DS4 via USB just to get direct-connect response. Not that I notice any difference from Bluetooth.

III-V

Thanks! Do you mean on the router or is there a place in the settings on the Pro to choose 5Ghz?

You should be able to choose the 5GHz channel from network settings. If you don't see it, then you may need to configure the router or dig a little bit deeper.

I have a question about my video output settings for my PS4 PRO. I have a 55 KS8000 and all my settings are set to automatic. Forgive me if that has been answered already, but is there suggested settings for resolution (2160p - YUV420 versus 2160p - RGB)? Same with the RGB Range, etc?

breakfuss

Lol you turned vibration off so of course it lasts longer

adamsapple

Lol you turned vibration off so of course it lasts longer

Yeah, for games which allow it, there's games where I can't find that setting or didn't (like CoD IW) where I finished the entire campaign in a single battery charge.

Obviously turning off vibration will extend it, my point was that even despite that it feels longer, or at least longer than the OG PS4 battery impressions when that DS was new.

ramyeon

I do not understand the whole P.T. thing. It wasn't that good.
I played through it once at my friend's place before I had a PS4. It was fun when we were drunk at 3AM and provided a great adrenaline rush but apart from that...

Don't feel fhe need to play it again. People just want it because it's Kojima and not available anymore.

Scrawnton

Rise of the Tomb Raider looks ridiculously good on a 4K tv. This needs to be the benchmark for how to do PS4 Pro games. I am beyond impressed with it.

I've got the new jet black DS4 and sorry, but the build quality is as shit as it was. I don't know about the battery life but it doesn't seem to be different either. The new DS4 actually feels cheaper than the old one. The grey buttons and sticks don't help make it better looking.

adamsapple

Rise of the Tomb Raider looks ridiculously good on a 4K tv. This needs to be the benchmark for how to do PS4 Pro games. I am beyond impressed with it.

Yep yep yep. On the 4K mode, there's literally no aliasing or shimmering or anything that can be seen.

This one's been downscaled to 1080p PNG.

riseofthetombraiderrwxe4.png

Kyoufu

I've got the new jet black DS4 and sorry, but the build quality is as shit as it was. I don't know about the battery life but it doesn't seem to be different either. The new DS4 actually feels cheaper than the old one. The grey buttons and sticks don't help make it better looking.

Nah. Build quality is better and that's something anyone here can easily see by trying to twist the controller from the handles. The old controller was flimsy and not as sturdy as this one.

My problem with the controller is battery life is still inadequate and the sticks are still too low, making grips necessary.

GazzaGSi

Can't wait for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Holding out for £20 though. Should get there soon enough. Surprised BF deals for it weren't better.

I buckled today, £27.99 at Sainsburys and had some points making it £22.99. Early Christmas present... Along with the Pro, TV, and afew games lol

Lady Gaia

Everyone with a Pro should invest in a 5Ghz-router. My download speed went from 15 mb / s to over 100 mb / s.

802.11ac 5GHz WiFi is capable of amazing speeds, but there are a lot of factors involved. Download speeds are still limited by your ISP, so if you're only getting 15Mb/s upstream then nothing you do locally will improve that. 5GHz is also supported for 802.11a and 802.11n, which aren't nearly as quick, so it's the combination of a router that supports the band and the newer standard. Also, 5GHz doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4GHz, so if you don't have short, clear line of sight to your router it may not actually be the best option.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't have a lrobyet but I'm tempted to double dip on TR. I 100%ed it on XB1 but I did enjoy my time in the world and the 4K sounds fun

Rymuth

Finally got my Pro which is a boon because Amazon delivered my Firecuda yesterday.

Gonna HDD swap and then start the transfer process later tonight but I'm procrastinating because I'm so lazy :p

Tarkus

I used walmart to sell my ps4 to. Still waiting on a gift card and it's been over 10 days. Anyone else having this issue?

adamsapple

How is Deus EX MD on PS4 Pro?

Higher resolution, better overall performance, still some hitching in the hub areas but it's better performing than the base. There was a recent Pro specific performance patch which ironed out some kinks but some hitches still remain.

Ellite25

Man Infinite Warfare looks incredible with the Pro on my KS8000. The IQ is bonkers.

For those who have played the game, walking through some of these corridors that are dark and what not reminds me of Dead Space and makes me one a new one that looks this good.

Do you guys also find yourself wanting to stop and admire just how nice some of these games look in their "4K" mode? I have the Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition. MWR looks clean, but nothing that special. Infinite Warfare on the other hand looks very nice. I found myself pausing the game many times just to look at the background. Same goes for TLOU Remastered.

It seems like being old PS3 game actually benefited it in a way. Since it doesn't have very high end and up to date graphics, they were able to used the extra power just to make it look as sharp and clean as possible. It's just so pristine. I feel like I want to see more games like this. Mid level graphics just so we can have native 4K(or close to it) and 60fps(or close to it)

Another thing I just realized about myself, I've been way too use to 60fps that playing TLOU at 30fps was extremely jarring to me. I much preferred playing with the unlocked frames. It didn't hurt that the game was still being rendered at a much higher resolution than 1080p despite that. But no I'm not PC master race, it's just that I've pretty much only played 2 game series the last 8 years. And that's several games from COD series and SF4 and 5. I love higher resolutions I'm seeing in TLOU:R and the two COD's, but I'm hoping to see much more emphasis on 60fps on developers going forward. I doubt we'll see a huge change but I at least want to see the numbers rise.

adamsapple

Do you guys also find yourself wanting to stop and admire just how nice some of these games look in their "4K" mode? I have the Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition. MWR looks clean, but nothing that special. Infinite Warfare on the other hand looks very nice. I found myself pausing the game many times just to look at the background. Same goes for TLOU Remastered.

Yep, doing it all the time. I moved from a PS3 to PS4 Pro, so essentially everything is a huge leap visually for me :p.

IW at 4K was an eye opener, didn't realize a console game could look *that* good, but that title might be shifting to Rise of Tomb Raider now. Haven't tried Uncharted 4 yet, can't wait to see what that looks like on the Pro.

I'm currently playing The Witcher 3, the game looks phenomenal even on the base mode, I can only imagine what a Pro patch would have done for this.

Shin-Ra

Man Infinite Warfare looks incredible with the Pro on my KS8000. The IQ is bonkers.

For those who have played the game, walking through some of these corridors that's are dark and what not reminds me of Dead Space and makes me one a new one that looks this good.
I got some Dead Space feels too.

DBT85

Am the only weirdo with a new 4k HDR screen and Pro and sitting here trying to perfect the last 12 levels of Velocity2x? I think I might be lol.

Anyone else find themselves buying games just because they have a "PRO" mode? I certainly have, lol. I mean, I was interested in all of these games but the PRO mode pushed me to pull the trigger.

Just finished Infinite Warfare's campaign. Pretty solid actually. 7.5/10. Definitely worth playing. I'll be trading it in today to play Titanfall 2's campaign. I also already own The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, and Infamous Second Son. Picked up Bound with the Black Friday sale as well. I was hoping to play through Knack again but unfortunately it wasn't part of the sales this week.

Unknown?

Your old controller must have been losing charge (pseudo-placebo effect) because they cracked the new controller open when the slim released and it had the same battery in it.
That doesn't mean they didn't get it to draw less power. Has anyone even tested it?

JMZ555

It could be just my imagination but Dark souls 3 DLC seems to run a lot worse on Pro than it did on my normal PS4........... Lots of Frame drops.

dragos495

I buckled today, £27.99 at Sainsburys and had some points making it £22.99. Early Christmas present... Along with the Pro, TV, and afew games lol

me too. but i went to game and got the book thingie edition for 30 quid minus some loyalty points, around 25 quid in the end.

i refuse to play it until my 4k oled arrives though! :)

I'm thinking of trading/selling my old PS4 and picking up a pro since it's on a deal for 370 today. What do you guys think? I only have a 1080p television.

mileS

Anyone else find themselves buying games just because they have a "PRO" mode? I certainly have, lol. I mean, I was interested in all of these games but the PRO mode pushed me to pull the trigger.

Just finished Infinite Warfare's campaign. Pretty solid actually. 7.5/10. Definitely worth playing. I'll be trading it in today to play Titanfall 2's campaign. I also already own The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, and Infamous Second Son. Picked up Bound with the Black Friday sale as well. I was hoping to play through Knack again but unfortunately it wasn't part of the sales this week.

Me! lol. Another reason why I think its absurd not to throw a couple people on a team to patch older gamers. Give a game like Bloodborne a decent PS4 patch and watch a sales spike and a flood of old fans returning to play it. Win Win. What was it, there was some PS4 pro patch thrown together by 2 people over a weekend but I forget what game it was.

Shadow of Mordor is a good example. Patch is ready for launch, game is quite old now but it looks fantastic and hey, watch the sales spike a bit more when it's on sale for black friday now.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder when we will hear Sony talk about the Pro now that it's launched. It feels like a lot of silence on PS VR and Pro since their launches. I'd like to know that Sony is aware of the issues in certain games and is figure out ways to make Pro better and safeguard issues from coming up as much as possible.

I said in the Dishonored DF thread that what Sony should/could do to safeguard better against developer mishaps is add a "compability mode" option in system settings to essentially turns the Pro into a standard PS4 so games think they are being run on a non-Pro PS4. This would safeguard against any games where the Pro version ends up worse for some reason since you could just click that and play the regular PS4 version.

Another option they should do is allow you to pick resolutions higher than your TV is with downsampling enabled. That way in games like Dishonored 2 where they "oops" forgot to enable 1440p output if you have a 1080p TV, you could manually set it to 4k w/downsampling and D2 would run the 1440p checkerboard 4k mode and PS4 Pro would downsample it to 1080p.

Ideally developers shouldn't mess this stuff up, but they will and it happens so the more Sony can do on its OS side to damage control those situations the better. I think it'll be a worst case scenario if Sony never messes with the Pro OS again and just treats PS4/Pro as one system going forward. Pro definitely needs some Pro specific OS improvements still.

noomi

For those who have played the game, walking through some of these corridors that are dark and what not reminds me of Dead Space and makes me one a new one that looks this good.

Happy to hear this just picked up a 55" ks8000 and IW this morning, heard good things about the SP.

Top Bottom