• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

leng jai

So I fired up Uncharted 4 on my Pro and I am actually stunner at how good it looks.

Haven't played 4 before and it just looks holy shit level good. I have a high end gaming PC and this game on the Pro looks as good as, if not better than most games I've played on my computer.

The performance and visuals you can get out of a $500 AUD console is insane.

UC4 already looked ridiculous on a base PS4 to be fair. That's ND for you - UC3 Remaster still looks better than a lot of games thees days.

KalBalboa

Banned
Paid full MSRP for mine tonight.

Am I a chump? I couldn't get the Target app to pop the 10% coupon. Considering returning the Pro (it's unopened) and going Amazon for the 5% cash back.

After all my complaining about the lack of UHD Blu-ray player, I just couldn't justify getting an Xbox One S as I have a Windows 10 PC that gets a good bit of it's exclusives anyway...

Then, I happened to walk into my wife's office as she was ordering my Christmas gifts...

I'm getting a Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player and a 1TB PS4 Pro with Uncharted 4... I guess I'll need to buy the Nathan Drake Collection on PSN so I know what's going on...

Anyone here using the Pro on a Sony Bravia 850C? How does it look?

Crumpo

So I fired up Uncharted 4 on my Pro and I am actually stunner at how good it looks.

Haven't played 4 before and it just looks holy shit level good. I have a high end gaming PC and this game on the Pro looks as good as, if not better than most games I've played on my computer.

The performance and visuals you can get out of a $500 AUD console is insane.

Try R&C next. I bought it just because of the praise in this thread, I had high expectations and it still delivered. It's glorious.

The people concern trolling about performance are missing out.

After all my complaining about the lack of UHD Blu-ray player, I just couldn't justify getting an Xbox One S as I have a Windows 10 PC that gets a good bit of it's exclusives anyway...

Then, I happened to walk into my wife's office as she was ordering my Christmas gifts...

I'm getting a Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player and a 1TB PS4 Pro with Uncharted 4... I guess I'll need to buy the Nathan Drake Collection on PSN so I know what's going on...

I have my pro on a kdl70w830b which is the same tv as yours - mine is the costco exclusive version.
The pro looks great on this tv.

I have my pro on a kdl70w830b which is the same tv as yours - mine is the costco exclusive version.
The pro looks great on this tv.

It is? I thought the 830b was 1080p.

The 850C is 4K w/ HDR... but it's the 2015 model so the HDR was added via firmware after the fact... So I was wondering how it looks with the Pro. The only thing I've been able to test it on is Marco Polo on Netflix, which isn't all that great.

Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade to a 2tb drive. Any recommendations on a good HDD?

Seems like most are getting the Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD from Amazon that runs about $115. Though you may have trouble getting one for a while since they normally sell out as soon as they get more in stock.

CrayToes

Seems like most are getting the Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD from Amazon that runs about $115. Though you may have trouble getting one for a while since they normally sell out as soon as they get more in stock.

Yeah it's out of stock atm. I really wanted to get one asap before I start downloading games to the stock drive. Is there anything of a similar quality and price available?

The 850C is 4K w/ HDR... but it's the 2015 model so the HDR was added via firmware after the fact... So I was wondering how it looks with the Pro. The only thing I've been able to test it on is Marco Polo on Netflix, which isn't all that great.

I have the 55" version, XBR-55X850C. Rachet in 4K HDR looks absolutely stunning.

The Japanese FFXV demo as well.

Robot Pants

It looks amazing. HDR and all. Fear not, the firmware HDR is still great. Looks much bette than SDR. Wait til you see The Witness

Is there a COMPLETE List of Games that specifically have HDR support.
That Digital Foundry list is very incomplete. Things like The Witness are missing

I own First Light, Uncharted and Last of Us.

After I am done setting everything up I am going to want to look at as many of these as possible. I am seeing such wildly different opinions on HDR implementation.

I did a quick look at Last of us with it on and off and thought the HDR looked like a blown out bright mess. But this was before I tweaked any settings.

Nameless

Really looking forward to seeing how Last Guardian is on Pro. Even just quality downsampling would go a long way with that game, I think.

I know this has been said 1000 times, but if you have a Pro you MUST pick up R&C. I got it last night from BB for super cheap, and the IQ/Lighting/Animations all just Pop on the Pro. My GF walked in the bedroom and literally said "wow this looks like a movie". I cannot wait for their spiderman game on the Pro especially after playing SSO and R&C 2016.

Never mind I misread the model number. Yeah my tv is 1080p.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
First time I have ventured into this thread, so apologies if this has been asked before, but did X-Com get an upgrade and if so is it any good? Google hasn't been overly helpful.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah, the image quality is really terribad on OG PS4 in the game. There's literally no AA whatsoever.

Has there been any word on HDR support, I'd imagine the results would be spectacular on a game like that.

Tbh I'd be happy with 1440p and a locked 30 fps framerate.

img_01915isw5.jpg

In game screenie of Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K. This game has it's moments where it looks phenomenal.

MilesTeg

Banned
Anyone else find the Pro's ethernet port to be a bit fiddly/ tight fit at first?

Yes. I dont use ethernet for internet anymore, but when I did the system transfer with my old ps4 it took me a bit to get it in there. Pretty strange.

Anyway, holy crap. Ratchet and Clank looks so good in 4k HDR. Im mot sure how to post screens here from the ps4 but I might try later.

MAX PAYMENT

Yes. I just got my 4K tv so I was originally playing it at 1080p. The IQ bump is quite insane there a well. Very noticable. Looks great.

While I know some might not find them all that impressive and there does appear to be some issues with the draw distance but... I think the zone Wrothgar in ESO is AMAZING to walk around in at 4K.

Not sure why, but the game has a black border around that was present in the 1080p version as well.

I can't decide between 4k or 1080p enhanced for ESO.

Cleve

What you're hearing is head parking because you bought a drive configured for power savings and intermittent usage over continual access (as most usb drives are).

The sounds themselves shouldn't be representative of a problem, but if you buy a more performance oriented drive it will park the heads less improving responsiveness and improving life at the cost of power consumption and idle noise. WD also have a tool for this, but seagate do not have one I'm aware of.

ValeYard

Yes. I dont use ethernet for internet anymore, but when I did the system transfer with my old ps4 it took me a bit to get it in there. Pretty strange.

Anyway, holy crap. Ratchet and Clank looks so good in 4k HDR. Im mot sure how to post screens here from the ps4 but I might try later.

So I was using a Cat 5 ethernet cable from Amazon. I switched it out for a Belkin one, and it slipped it slightly more easily. I'm always paranoid about breaking ports.

Also, I didn't enjoy taking the HDD cover off. And, one of the HDD screws was SUPER tight. Man, I got the sweats for second, almost like a PC build, lol.

Patchy

Banned
Try R&C next. I bought it just because of the praise in this thread, I had high expectations and it still delivered. It's glorious.

The people concern trolling about performance are missing out.

Halfway through that as well and its brilliant. Very happy I get this console for the exclusives, I just hope more games receive some Pro patches. Bloodborne being one of them...

Demption

Is the difference on IQ in games with pro patches significant? I only have 1080p but i have PSVR, and i'm really struggling should i buy Pro or not.

Fliesen

Is the difference on IQ in games with pro patches significant? I only have 1080p but i have PSVR, and i'm really struggling should i buy Pro or not.

right now, you'll see bigger improvements on your TV based games than on your PSVR games, imho.
Not because PSVR games cannot experience a huge benefit from a well made pro patch, but because the games that did receive such a patch were either already super pretty (Arkham VR) or the patch didn't bring any groundbreaking improvements.

As opposed to games that downsample to 1080p and thereby eliminating any kind of shimmering / aliasing, and running at more stable frame rates.

pottuvoi

Banned
Really depends on a game, but it can be.

I do expect it to grow to be larger in future, due to the time it takes to be familar to new architecture and tricks.

Similarry things like id buffer could become more common on ps4 as it's near free on pro and guite useful to have.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes, everyone should try ratchet. It's easily the best looking game on the pro. It looks cgi, it moves like cgi and the gameplay is sublime. Best combat in a shooter since uncharted.

Lady Gaia

Hmm those options in the output settings are greyed out. Does that mean it's a non starter?

No, that's just selecting the final resolution the game is scaled to for output. Any game running on a Pro will automatically use a higher-quality rendering strategy, the perceived effectiveness of which varies by title and your personal sensitivity to rendering artifacts.

No, that's just selecting the final resolution the game is scaled to for output. Any game running on a Pro will automatically use a higher-quality rendering strategy, the perceived effectiveness of which varies by title and your personal sensitivity to rendering artifacts.

Thanks very much, that clears it up for me.

Top Bottom