• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

leng jai

Man Infinite Warfare looks incredible with the Pro on my KS8000. The IQ is bonkers.

For those who have played the game, walking through some of these corridors that are dark and what not reminds me of Dead Space and makes me one a new one that looks this good.

Those areas reminded me more of Alien Isolation actually.

JPS Kai

I just opened up my PS4 Pro and there wasn't a PS Plus trial...

Is that normal???

There wasn't a $10 voucher either, but Sony made good on that by sending out directly to peoples' PSN Notifications.

Just log into the PS Store and get your free PS+ trial that way.

GazzaGSi

me too. but i went to game and got the book thingie edition for 30 quid minus some loyalty points, around 25 quid in the end.

i refuse to play it until my 4k oled arrives though! :)

Nice! I was going to get it installed earlier but the wife snaffled it away and said you can have this one for Christmas having just bought 5 games off the EU and NA PSN stores! Grrr

Dthomp

Probably a dumb question, but if I'm switching out the HD on my Pro, does the system need to be turned on and set up prior or can I just open up the box and swap the drives first?

Planet

you could manually set it to 4k w/downsampling and D2 would run the 1440p checkerboard 4k mode and PS4 Pro would downsample it to 1080p.
You only have the downsample option when a 4K screen is attached and set to 1080p output. The upscaling to 4K is done by the TV then. Leaving it at 4K output is the better option there of course.

Checkerboard is not at all involved in any scenario with Dishonored 2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Mine definitely does download patches in rest mode, so it sounds like something is wrong :\

Yep, same here. Downloaded RoTR and Mafia 3 in Rest while enjoying thanksgiving feast with the family, worked like a charm, also extremely speedy. RoTR's 14GB took approx 11 minutes to download (I was checking in periodically and putting it back in rest mode).

My pro doesn't seem to download patches on rest mode, is anyone having this problem?

Double check the Power settings in your PS4 to ensure suspending is enabled, if not, I guess try a different power outlet (?).

Been playing Battlefield 1 on my Pro and it is very quiet, i'm sitting about 2-3 feet away from the console. The back vents are a little warm but no loud fans...

Mobius 1

Just waltzed into a Best Buy for a few movies and couldn't resist the allure of that blue box. I will run it on a 1080p Panasonic S60 plasma, beyond excited for downsampled games.

Fisty

Hope my pro ain't defective .

If the update is less than like 24 hrs old or something it won't download in rest mode, I think the PS4 only checks for updates automatically when you start it up or in the middle of the night while in rest mode

Anyone had this issue with their Pro.

The screen turns blue (as if coming out of game to ps homescreen but not quite doing it) and then displays screen/game normally.

Only happened in TLOU Multiplayer so far (about 20 times).

See this thread Its THIS= http://community.eu.playstation.com...cker-to-blue-screen-during-games/m-p/24699923

Its NOT THIS
= https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/24dc4e/update_17_screen_flickering_issue_solution_inside/

Its NOT THIS
=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXy1Vn2GxW4

? Anyone?

ps. also had my controller disconnect even though fully charged and it paused the game as if controller had ran out and I had to re-connect it.

Wtf is going on with this shit. Smfh....

Fisty

So question about graphics regarding The Witness patch...

Which would look better on a 1080p screen?
-1080p with 4x MSAA
-1440p downsampled

If I understood correctly, we aren't given an option with 1080p screens, just curious about which would give you better IQ

Ricky_R

Was having trouble with rest mode, and after trying multiple times and doing enough tests with no success, I decided to get a replacement from Amazon. To my surprise, they put the order immediately and it will ship soon.

I have until Dec 25 to send the defective one. Wasn't aware Amazon worked like that which is great, tbh.

-griffy-

Banned
Was having trouble with rest mode, and after trying multiple times and doing enough tests with no success, I decided to get a replacement from Amazon. To my surprise, they put the order immediately and it will ship soon.

I have until Dec 25 to send the defective one. Wasn't aware Amazon worked like that which is great, tbh.
Did you try rebuilding the database? This sounds like what was happening with mine after installing the last firmware, and rebuilding the database in safe mode resolved it.

Lady Gaia

So question about graphics regarding The Witness patch...

Which would look better on a 1080p screen?
-1080p with 4x MSAA
-1440p downsampled

If I understood correctly, we aren't given an option with 1080p screens, just curious about which would give you better IQ

1080p + 4xMSAA gives you effectively 4K resolution for polygon edges but only 1080p for lighting and textures. Unless you're seeing a lot of high resolution textures or shader aliasing artifacts, neither of which are the case in The Witness, it's a pretty solid choice. I'm not surprised the team thought this was clearly the superior choice for 1080p displays.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. Time for the long haul of redownloading everything

Remember, when swapping drives, you will need to have the latest firmware on USB the minute you turn the system on with the new hard drive in it..

This is the full 800-900mb firmware, not the 300mb update firmware....if you have the smaller firmware size, it can't install it and will keep asking for the right firmware...

Omerta

It really is in the Dev's best interest to patch Pro support into their games. I'm hitting a point where I'm not considering games that don't support the pro...

Which I realise is ridiculous.

III-V

It really is in the Dev's best interest to patch Pro support into their games. I'm hitting a point where I'm not considering games that don't support the pro...

Which I realise is ridiculous.

I am prioritizing Pro games, so your not alone.

Fisty

1080p + 4xMSAA gives you effectively 4K resolution for polygon edges but only 1080p for lighting and textures. Unless you're seeing a lot of high resolution textures or shader aliasing artifacts, neither of which are the case in The Witness, it's a pretty solid choice. I'm not surprised the team thought this was clearly the superior choice for 1080p displays.

Interesting, I thought downsampling would be better by default but figured Thekla would choose the better option for 1080p screens, so was curious as to how things worked on the tech side. Thanks

Alchemist

Can anyone recommend a good 2TB drive? I previously had this one, but it often made high pitched beeping and chirping sounds. Apparently this is a common issue with Seagate so I wanted to know the next best that will keep my system quiet.

BigEmil

Can anyone recommend a good 2TB drive? I previously had this one, but it often made high pitched beeping and chirping sounds. Apparently this is a common issue with Seagate so I wanted to know the next best that will keep my system quiet.
That's strange I have that exact same one ordered from Amazon UK too and don't have those noise stuff, did you screw it and place it in etc properly?

//DEVIL//

Been playing Battlefield 1 on my Pro and it is very quiet, i'm sitting about 2-3 feet away from the console. The back vents are a little warm but no loud fans...
Would you make a video of you playing online after like 20 mins of playing ?

My ps4 pro is also very quite and I don't gear it. Only sometimes fan kick in to higher gear for 1 mib then cool down

Damn Infinite Warfare looks insane on the Pro, downloading Skyrim to see what's all the fuss about, never played that game. Now I will supposedly be getting a game that the PS3 owners had to suffer through.

Dthomp

Remember, when swapping drives, you will need to have the latest firmware on USB the minute you turn the system on with the new hard drive in it..

This is the full 800-900mb firmware, not the 300mb update firmware....if you have the smaller firmware size, it can't install it and will keep asking for the right firmware...

Thanks for this, I did end up downloading the right one last night 800mb or so

Damn Infinite Warfare looks insane on the Pro, downloading Skyrim to see what's all the fuss about, never played that game. Now I will supposedly be getting a game that the PS3 owners had to suffer through.

Are there benefits for 1080p users for CoD? It's hard because PS4 Pro is my first PS4 so I don't really have a comparison to appreciate the bump.

Anyone getting any audio distortion when closing an application fast (pressing home, options, and X very fast)? I started getting random, but frequent, pops when closing a game and now I just had an ear shattering endless loop of static.

Patchy

Banned
So I fired up Uncharted 4 on my Pro and I am actually stunner at how good it looks.

Haven't played 4 before and it just looks holy shit level good. I have a high end gaming PC and this game on the Pro looks as good as, if not better than most games I've played on my computer.

The performance and visuals you can get out of a $500 AUD console is insane.

Kalentan

Are there benefits for 1080p users for CoD? It's hard because PS4 Pro is my first PS4 so I don't really have a comparison to appreciate the bump.

Yes. I just got my 4K tv so I was originally playing it at 1080p. The IQ bump is quite insane there a well. Very noticable. Looks great.

While I know some might not find them all that impressive and there does appear to be some issues with the draw distance but... I think the zone Wrothgar in ESO is AMAZING to walk around in at 4K.

31245794685_8cabdf69a8_o.png

30424446174_dfda87bfd1_o.png

Not sure why, but the game has a black border around that was present in the 1080p version as well.

pottuvoi

Banned
Interesting, I thought downsampling would be better by default but figured Thekla would choose the better option for 1080p screens, so was curious as to how things worked on the tech side. Thanks
MSAA also has superior sample placement, so even 4k downsampled has worse edge quality.

Lady Gaia

MSAA also has superior sample placement, so even 4k downsampled has worse edge quality.

Another good point. This is one of those cases where a developer put some serious time and effort into making sure everyone got the best experience possible, even if it isn't necessarily appreciated as such.

Top Bottom