• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Fliesen

It's not a problem. If the system doesn't need to be grounded, then having a cable that exposes an unused ground connector is a non-issue. I'm using a three-prong cable with my PS4 Pro because it happened to be back there from when I still had a PS3 hooked up.

It's the other way around that should never be attempted. Any device that expects a ground connection should never be subverted by using a cable that doesn't actually connect to ground.
well, i don't think that can really happen, as an ungrounded cable won't fit into the device - the power socket in the device would have 3 prongs, so you'd be unable to plug in a cable that doesn't have a ground connector.

Similarly, a grounded cable won't fit into an ungrounded wall plug.

(unless you were to ghetto up some kind of power strip or makeshift power cord and just not use the ground)

chippy13

Question...

I have TWO PS4s (one slim in my office and one Pro in the lounge for glorious 4k hdr gaming).

Both are signed into the same PSN account with the office Slim set as primary and i jump between the two depending on ease/what i want to play with save files transferred back and forward between system and cloud storage.

Now heres the question...

A friend is coming to stay with me over christmas - he is a PS4 player and owns a couple of games we fancy doing some coop/multiplayer together (Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3)...on disk.

Is it possible for him to sign into one of the PS4's i own, download the games he has that we want to coop and we play together that way? On the same internet connection but different PSN names.

Or...he simply logs into my PS4 Slim as me - i use the PS4 Pro and we can play together that way?

Thanks!

You can't sign in on the same account on 2 ps4's at the same time. He can sign in on your system and download his games, you just won't be able to sign in on the same system and play the games unless you already own them or he makes your system his primary.

Akif

Maybe? I'm not sure what happens if you use a three prong cable like that on a two-prong system though. The Pro uses this, basically:

It's like a standard PC/bigger monitor PSU cable, but without the female ground port.

it is.
It's a regular old PC power cord.

You did post a german Schuko wall plug though, doesn't denmark use slightly different plugs?

the PS4 Pro simply doesn't have a ground connector. (neither did the regular PS4)

It's not a problem. If the system doesn't need to be grounded, then having a cable that exposes an unused ground connector is a non-issue. I'm using a three-prong cable with my PS4 Pro because it happened to be back there from when I still had a PS3 hooked up.

It's the other way around that should never be attempted. Any device that expects a ground connection should never be subverted by using a cable that doesn't actually connect to ground.
Thanks for the answers, appreciate it!
Schuko plugs can also be used in Denmark, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Fliesen

Thanks for the answers, appreciate it!
Schuko plugs can also be used in Denmark, so that shouldn't be a problem.

9214.jpg

or just get an actual danish plug.

You can try asking at a local computer repair shop, or even your local electronics store. They often have hundreds of those to spare. You get one of these with leterally every PC or Power Supply you buy and you can always just re-use the one you already had.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Or, you know, talk to her about it. There's definitely something there that needs to be addressed rather than ignored. I know someone whose wife associates gaming with drug use due to a bad prior relationship. You never know what associations can lead to the behavior you describe, but trying to understand it together would be a healthy thing for everyone involved.

I don't disagree, I'm just assuming it's been attempted already from this, "but she just CANT accapt my gaming interest." .

Bottom line in my message is don't waste money on something that will just piss her off and you need to hide in the closet like it's freaking E.T.

Akif

9214.jpg

or just get an actual danish plug.

You can try asking at a local computer repair shop, or even your local electronics store. They often have hundreds of those to spare. You get one of these with leterally every PC or Power Supply you buy and you can always just re-use the one you already had.
Thanks, I'll try that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Question...

I have TWO PS4s (one slim in my office and one Pro in the lounge for glorious 4k hdr gaming).

Both are signed into the same PSN account with the office Slim set as primary and i jump between the two depending on ease/what i want to play with save files transferred back and forward between system and cloud storage.

Now heres the question...

A friend is coming to stay with me over christmas - he is a PS4 player and owns a couple of games we fancy doing some coop/multiplayer together (Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3)...on disk.

Is it possible for him to sign into one of the PS4's i own, download the games he has that we want to coop and we play together that way? On the same internet connection but different PSN names.

Or...he simply logs into my PS4 Slim as me - i use the PS4 Pro and we can play together that way?

Thanks!

He can sign in to the primary (slim) and play all your games while you sign in and play on the other console

Lots of people have HDCP issues with some TVs and Monitors.

Try disabling HDCP in system settings. If that doesn't work quite right, boot into safe mode and the final option is to change HDCP. Change it from Auto to 1.4 and let it reboot.

Thanks for the help. I tried that and it didn't work 😞...my system might just be defective so I guess I'll have to take it back.

TheKevn

I've never played skyrim. I like fallout and bloodborne. I have ps4 pro and a ks8000 4K tv. Is skyrim remastered worth 25$?

score01

My wife is on a whole different level:

She is wonderful in every aspect but she just CANT accapt my gaming interest. She litterly threw my ps3 superslim Into pieces, my gold headset Into pieces and scratched my oled vita screen on purpose. Jeezes. Now I only have the vita left which I take care of

The thing is, she is away for the weekend and Im definately picking up a slim tommorrow. I plan to store it in a Place with just Power supply and enough ventilation, then I Will remote play all games, going all digital. God I Hope this thing is super quiet.

Damn that's some tough love. My wife ain't keen on gaming at all but she accepts it's something that I do. Your spouse doesn't have to share all of your interests and I think it's perfectly healthy to have some stuff apart / have your own hobbies. The breaking of your stuff is something that I cannot / would not accept and is a danger sign of other trouble brewing.

GazzaGSi

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone maybe able to help me out? In my man cave I have a Pro setup which is all fine. I'm thinking of upgrading my OG PS4 that's downstairs in the living room but the setup is abit odd so I'd like to break down the info and see if you guys think I'd see any benefit from upgrading the OG to a Pro.

So the HDMI from the OG PS4 goes to my 5.1 surround sound amp, the amp HDMI output then goes to a HDMI switch that has 2 outputs, 1 goes to my TV, the other to a projector. Projector and TV both 1080p.

This is the amp:
http://www.whathifi.com/sony/bdv-n5200w/review
Which under the Features & Connectivity detail states it can handle 4k upscaling.

If I do get a Pro and have it setup how the OG currently is will I see the sampling improvements of the Pro on either the projector or TV? The TV would be my main priority but unsure with the HDMI leads that are used and if the amp will be able to output a better picture than what I'm currently getting with the OG.

Thanks
Gaz

Pandahammer

Neo Member
I've never played skyrim. I like fallout and bloodborne. I have ps4 pro and a ks8000 4K tv. Is skyrim remastered worth 25$?
Yes and no. Runs worse than the PS4 version and drops frames like a bitch (for me) in heavy foliage and foggy areas. It's rough.

Given the history of the studio we may never get a patch. Here's hoping though!

Zhao_Yun

She is wonderful in every aspect but she just CANT accapt my gaming interest. She litterly threw my ps3 superslim Into pieces, my gold headset Into pieces and scratched my oled vita screen on purpose. Jeezes. Now I only have the vita left which I take care of

The thing is, she is away for the weekend and Im definately picking up a slim tommorrow. I plan to store it in a Place with just Power supply and enough ventilation, then I Will remote play all games, going all digital. God I Hope this thing is super quiet.

If you are fine with that more power to you, but I would have jumped ship a long time ago. Not sharing the hobby is one thing, but actively breaking stuff?

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone maybe able to help me out? In my man cave I have a Pro setup which is all fine. I'm thinking of upgrading my OG PS4 that's downstairs in the living room but the setup is abit odd so I'd like to break down the info and see if you guys think I'd see any benefit from upgrading the OG to a Pro.

If I do get a Pro and have it setup how the OG currently is will I see the sampling improvements of the Pro on either the projector or TV? The TV would be my main priority but unsure with the HDMI leads that are used and if the amp will be able to output a better picture than what I'm currently getting with the OG.

Thanks
Gaz

None of the above matters if your TV and projector are 1080p. Your HDMI cables are ok as is, and any improvements the Pro gives you at 1080p will come across just fine.

If you decide to upgrade to 4K, then you need to think about your amp, cables, etc. But as is? Nope, no worries

Mossybrew

The breaking of your stuff is something that I cannot / would not accept and is a danger sign of other trouble brewing.

Seriously. It's legitimately criminal in fact, she would be charged with Domestic Violence Malicious Mischief 3rd for that kind of thing. Way unhealthy relationship.

Humdinger

Well, to be fair to the wife, we're only hearing his side of the story. Always dangerous to draw conclusions and demonize one party based on hearing only one side of a couple's dispute. Not saying she's justified in breaking his stuff -- obviously not -- but there is probably more to this story than we are hearing.

GazzaGSi

None of the above matters if your TV and projector are 1080p. Your HDMI cables are ok as is, and any improvements the Pro gives you at 1080p will come across just fine.

If you decide to upgrade to 4K, then you need to think about your amp, cables, etc. But as is? Nope, no worries

Oh that's great thanks!
When I do upgrade this tv to 4k I'll connect the amp via optical, take the Pro HDMI direct to the TV and run a separate HDMI for the projector, will just swap HDMI's manually when I want to use the projector or TV instead of a twin output switch.

Glad there is no issues to crack on with it now though and use the 1080p Pro improvements, thanks again.

Ricky_R

Hey guys... Been having some issues with rest mode on the PS4 Pro. I try to turn it and it doesn't, then I have to press the power button on the system and it turns on as if it wasn't properly shut down.

Is this a known issue? Is anybody else having the same problem?

Have there been many times where borked frame pacing on consoles is actually addressed? It seems like one of those issues that never gets fixed in the vast majority of situations.

Still, hopeful for the FFXV patches. If nothing else, they seem to be genuinely tuned into community feedback.

Kalentan

Holy shit. Just booted up Elder Scrolls Online on a 4K TV.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

It's so clean. Like. So stupidly clean. Even without looking at a 1080p screen and then switching to 4k it is noticible.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Sorry if others have talked about this already, but anyone know the best 4K monitor to use with PS4Pro? Looking for something around 30 inches.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy shit. Just booted up Elder Scrolls Online on a 4K TV.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

It's so clean. Like. So stupidly clean. Even without looking at a 1080p screen and then switching to 4k it is noticible.

I just booted up Rise of the Tomb Raider in the 4K mode and yep, same feelings. Game looks sharp as fuck and visually stunning.

Some quick downscaled-to-1080p PNG from the first 5 mins of the game.

riseofthetombraiderrwxe4.png

riseofthetombraider_11rx3v.png

riseofthetombraider_24szn6.png

I bought TLOU Remastered for just $8. It's a 4K HDR game and it's very critically acclaimed so I figure this is a game I could probably get myself to finish at least once. Well it does look very good. The image quality in day time scenes are just amazing, everything is so clean. But then then the game keeps freezing on me. And now I've reached a point where I can't seem to progress. If I can't do anything about this is it possible to get a refund from Sony?

j-wood

So I just hooked up my PS4 pro to a new ks8000 and I'm having trouble telling a difference between hdr and no hdr. So far I've tried uncharted 4 and deus ex.

I'm def getting hdr signal. It shows 2k/4K supported when I pull that video output status in the PS4 menu. Info on the tv shows an HDR icon.

But like in uncharted when I toggle it on and off on the options, it doesn't look THAT different. Is there a certain scene or game I should try?

also, is it normal when I quit a game in HDR mode that the screen goes black for a second on the TV? I'm hoping it's because it's switching back to SDR mode.

Mrbob

So did the PS4Pro Netflix get borked? I can't choose 5.1 anymore except for some caption mode which is not what I want. I tried changing audio settings and nothing works....audio still in stereo and it's annoying. I can use my home theater PC to get 5.1 from Netflix but id like to get 5.1 working again on my Pro.

mitchman

Gold Member
So did the PS4Pro Netflix get borked? I can't choose 5.1 anymore except for some caption mode which is not what I want. I tried changing audio settings and nothing works....audio still in stereo and it's annoying. I can use my home theater PC to get 5.1 from Netflix but id like to get 5.1 working again on my Pro.

Check the audio output settings on the PS4.

muno

Neo Member
Wait, so the PS4 Pro is possibly more powerful than the GTX 1060 I just got?

GTX 1060: 3.8 TFLOPS
PS4 Pro: 4.2 TFLOPS

D23

So I just hooked up my PS4 pro to a new ks8000 and I'm having trouble telling a difference between hdr and no hdr. So far I've tried uncharted 4 and deus ex.

I'm def getting hdr signal. It shows 2k/4K supported when I pull that video output status in the PS4 menu. Info on the tv shows an HDR icon.

But like in uncharted when I toggle it on and off on the options, it doesn't look THAT different. Is there a certain scene or game I should try?

also, is it normal when I quit a game in HDR mode that the screen goes black for a second on the TV? I'm hoping it's because it's switching back to SDR mode.

Did you max out your backlight and contrast on the tv?

Bulby

Can someone clarify display options for me a little because I am very confused. They need to set a mandate for options in my opinion.

Last of Us - In the game menu I have un/locked frame rate and HDR. I know unlocked lowers res and locked sets native 4k.

Deus Ex and Uncharted 4. In the game menu I only have HDR, so do I have to rely on setting the Pro itself at 4k output?

Im confused because the pro says 4k output on my tv regardless if im playing a patched pro game or say bloodborne, which i know is native 1080p. I know the pro will always output 4k if set to this, but how do I know which native res my patch pro game is running at?

hwy_61

Banned
I've been out of the loop for PlayStation related things for the past few months. Just got my Pro, and I noticed when you insert a disc, that loading bar that showed up under the game picture is no longer there. What happened to it?

breakfuss

Got mine yesterday and did a quick set up. Played Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank and was like WTF? Where's the improvement? Looks the fucking same. Downsample improves quality my ass...

Then I remembered that I skipped connecting to the network so the games didn't update. Updated R&C, loaded it again and...

today-omg-jaw-dropping-reaction-shot-gif-video-2.gif

Shit is real. I'm pretty excited to try more games.

HAHAHA Iaughed too hard at this GIF. Yeah R&C is amazing. So glad I waited play it. I think I may even give Shadow of Mordor another shot.

jett

D-Member

Ufbr5ej.gif

Fliesen

Can someone clarify display options for me a little because I am very confused. They need to set a mandate for options in my opinion.

Last of Us - In the game menu I have un/locked frame rate and HDR. I know unlocked lowers res and locked sets native 4k.

Deus Ex and Uncharted 4. In the game menu I only have HDR, so do I have to rely on setting the Pro itself at 4k output?

Im confused because the pro says 4k output on my tv regardless if im playing a patched pro game or say bloodborne, which i know is native 1080p. I know the pro will always output 4k if set to this, but how do I know which native res my patch pro game is running at?

well, to be fair, console games never communicated their rendering resolution to the user, not even on 1080p - it always took people who did pixel counting to reveal a game was running in 900p, for example.

So, just like before, you'll have to do some reading to find out whether your 4k signal is actually upscaled from 1800p checkerboard, native 1440p, or whatever.

JohngPR

Anyone here play Rise of the Tomb Raider on both PS4 Pro and PC? I have the PC version and can run it at 60fps for most of the time. Wondering if it's worth double dipping on PS4 Pro for the "4k" mode, Season Pass (which I don't have), and VR level.

Anyone here play Rise of the Tomb Raider on both PS4 Pro and PC? I have the PC version and can run it at 60fps for most of the time. Wondering if it's worth double dipping on PS4 Pro for the "4k" mode, Season Pass (which I don't have), and VR level.
I bought it at XB1 launch, then at PC launch then PS4 launch. I played the PC version at 60fps but I decided to go with the 4K mode for the Pro play through because it removes so much of the aliasing that was present on trees and specular highlights, it's really transformative imo. Would've been better if the engine just had a good AA solution, but eh.

Season pass content is really good if you like the base gameplay. There's the Baba Yaga DLC, which inserts itself seamlessly into the main campaign, the Endurance mode which is a fun survival mode where you have to scavenge for food and resources while finding treasure, and then Cold Darkness Awakened which is a zombie mode. I think it's canon (?) as the location is hinted in the campaign and there's voiceover for it, and it includes some neat puzzle chambers. The season pass also includes a good amount of outfits (like 10 or something) which I really appreciated as I love fashion games. :p

Moving on to the 20th anniv. content, Croft Manor is really interesting if you like the story of the reboot universe so far; it fleshes out Lara's parents a lot and includes some neat throwbacks to the older games. There is no combat and no platforming, however - you basically just walk around picking up objects and there are a couple of simple puzzles. There's also a zombie mode for Croft Manor called Lara's Nightmare, which is fun enough if a little repetitive. The one from the season pass is better as that has significant puzzle elements. Haven't played the VR mode so can't comment on that. Also included in the 20th anniv edition is more skins (hooray!) including some really neat retro ones, but you can't use them in the main game until you've finished the story. There is one outfit which is a reimagining of TR3's arctic outfit that Lara CAN wear from the beginning.

JohngPR

I bought it at XB1 launch, then at PC launch then PS4 launch. I played the PC version at 60fps but I decided to go with the 4K mode for the Pro play through because it removes so much of the aliasing that was present on trees and specular highlights, it's really transformative imo. Would've been better if the engine just had a good AA solution, but eh.

Season pass content is really good if you like the base gameplay. There's the Baba Yaga DLC, which inserts itself seamlessly into the main campaign, the Endurance mode which is a fun survival mode where you have to scavenge for food and resources while finding treasure, and then Cold Darkness Awakened which is a zombie mode. I think it's canon (?) as the location is hinted in the campaign and there's voiceover for it, and it includes some neat puzzle chambers. The season pass also includes a good amount of outfits (like 10 or something) which I really appreciated as I love fashion games. :p

Moving on to the 20th anniv. content, Croft Manor is really interesting if you like the story of the reboot universe so far; it fleshes out Lara's parents a lot and includes some neat throwbacks to the older games. There is no combat and no platforming, however - you basically just walk around picking up objects and there are a couple of simple puzzles. There's also a zombie mode for Croft Manor called Lara's Nightmare, which is fun enough if a little repetitive. The one from the season pass is better as that has significant puzzle elements. Haven't played the VR mode so can't comment on that. Also included in the 20th anniv edition is more skins (hooray!) including some really neat retro ones, but you can't use them in the main game until you've finished the story. There is one outfit which is a reimagining of TR3's arctic outfit that Lara CAN wear from the beginning.

That extra stuff sounds enticing. It would also be nice to be able to play coop with someone for that endurance mode which I could if I got it digitally on PS4 (I game share with my son). I would like to hear more bout the story and flesh that out so all of that sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the impressions!

AlanOC91

You know the Gamestop deal where you can trade in a PS4 and get a PS4 pro for cheaper? Was that only for launch or still available?

Audioboxer

Can't wait for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Holding out for £20 though. Should get there soon enough. Surprised BF deals for it weren't better.

spectator

I'm in the "hasn't" club, as well. Are there any settings I have to make sure are adjusted correctly on the Pro and/or the router to make sure it can take advantage?

III-V

I'm in the "hasn't" club, as well. Are there any settings I have to make sure are adjusted correctly on the Pro and/or the router to make sure it can take advantage?

Make sure it is actually on the 5GHz band. Often these may default to the 2.4 GHz bands.

Is the new controller a nice improvement?

They seem to be $40 just about everywhere.
My DS4s are terrible.

One controller the left analog stick doesn't press up very well. So I can't sprint in shooters. This is painful.

The other controller goes into zombie mode every 5 minutes for about 5 seconds. So right as something important is happening my controller just shits the bed and gets me killed.

Bebpo

Banned
Is the new controller a nice improvement?

They seem to be $40 just about everywhere.
My DS4s are terrible.

One controller the left analog stick doesn't press up very well. So I can't sprint in shooters. This is painful.

The other controller goes into zombie mode every 5 minutes for about 5 seconds. So right as something important is happening my controller just shits the bed and gets me killed.

Yep. New controller seems to fix the old DS4 issues & have 2x battery life.

Top Bottom