• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Shin-Ra

Yes. I just got my 4K tv so I was originally playing it at 1080p. The IQ bump is quite insane there a well. Very noticable. Looks great.

While I know some might not find them all that impressive and there does appear to be some issues with the draw distance but... I think the zone Wrothgar in ESO is AMAZING to walk around in at 4K.

Not sure why, but the game has a black border around that was present in the 1080p version as well.
Make sure your Display Area Settings are enlarged to the maximum area.

(Settings) > [Sound and Screen] > [Display Area Settings]
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html

Some games have their own setting too but they should default to the system default set above.

HeeHo

I was playing Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, from which I was playing Borderlands 2, and while everything looks fine, I did notice something kind of off.

It's pretty small but I notice the icon for shields is a lot blurrier than it used to look. Almost similar to the World of Final Fantasy pro glitch where everything looks worse even though I know this game isn't pro patched.

It's probably just a testament to the port quality to the PS4 though. I don't recall the icon looking so blurry on the base PS4 either. I don't think the icons that represent shields in this game was ever super high-res but it kinda sticks out to me now.

Thank you both. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've already adjusted my HDMI ports over to enhanced mode.

Cool, was just coming back to the thread with a reminder about that just in case you hadn't already done so.
After changing the port to enhanced HDMI make sure all of the options are now selectable including 2160p RGB under Sound and Screen and output info, this TV supports all of them (so far I've kept the actual setting on Auto).

Wow, Rise of the Tomb Raider looks fucking incredible in 4K mode (playing on KS8000). There's a significant difference between that and the 1080p modes.

KevinG

Wow, Rise of the Tomb Raider looks fucking incredible in 4K mode (playing on KS8000). There's a significant difference between that and the 1080p modes.
Honestly, it's your impressions on Twitter that have been pushing me toward trying to make this Target deal work.

Damn Infinite Warfare looks insane on the Pro, downloading Skyrim to see what's all the fuss about, never played that game. Now I will supposedly be getting a game that the PS3 owners had to suffer through.

I blame Sony - but it's first time in decade when I'm intereted in getting CoD ;)

Came here to post this.

I was certain that I was going to choose the 60 fps mode, but the 4k mode on my X800D Bravia is too fucking good.

Jiraiza

Target's pretty nice. On top of getting two PS4 Pros for $269 and $350 each, they sent me a free one this evening. I mean, it is my birthday in two days...

Holy shit.

if only bloodborne got a pro patch and used the same checkerboard technique Tomb Raider uses. Definitely looks very close to native 4k yet it isn't. I hope by the time Death Stranding comes out that it uses an even better checkerboard technique!

High-framerate mode (which according to df is basically ps4 visuals)
riseofthetombraider_2yzupm.png

Downsampled 4k
riseofthetombraider_2inusk.png

Pretty noticeable difference.

Coda

Got my Pro today and I'm doing the transfer now. Haven't played a game in 4K yet but I love looking at the menu in 4K, looks beautiful.

Excited I ended up buying one, I figured if I now have a 4K TV I might as well make the jump especially when games like Nier Automata and Yakuza 6 have 4K support.

Really looking forward to seeing how Last Guardian is on Pro. Even just quality downsampling would go a long way with that game, I think.
Yeah if any game is in dire need of a pro patch it's TLG. It has Bloodborne levels of aliasing on ps4. Thankfully I'll be able to enjoy it almost jaggy free.
image_the_last_guardian-32648-1520_0002.jpg

image_the_last_guardian-32648-1520_0004.jpg

This is what i would expect

image_the_last_guardian-14936-1520_0002.jpg

image_the_last_guardian-13753-1520_0001.jpg

KevinG

Am I asking too much by putting my PS4 (with 3 games) up for $300? I'm expecting lower offers, but don't want people to think that I think I have gold.

VelocityXCI

Neo Member
People with the KS9000 have you had any back panel separation at all? I know it's an issue on the KS8000 and after one day the KS8000 already had it in the top right corner. If the 9000 doesn't have it am thinking of buying it for the PRO.

Slixshot

Banned
People with the KS9000 have you had any back panel separation at all? I know it's an issue on the KS8000 and after one day the KS8000 already had it in the top right corner. If the 9000 doesn't have it am thinking of buying it for the PRO.

What is this back panel problem? I just bought a ks8000 but don't know what you're talking about. Now I'm worried

What is this back panel problem? I just bought a ks8000 but don't know what you're talking about. Now I'm worried
The back panel (black panel behind the screen) is held together by a type of glue I presume. It loosens a bit eventually for quite a few owners. Mine did that but it's probably a couple millimeters at most, nothing to worry about.

And it's in the back, you'll never notice it anyway.

j-wood

Does the pro upscale everything to 4K res on a tv even if a game is rendering only 1080p, and if it hasn't received a pro patch?

Lady Gaia

Does the pro upscale everything to 4K res on a tv even if a game is rendering only 1080p, and if it hasn't received a pro patch?

Yes. If output is set to 4K with a compatible display then everything is automatically scaled to 4K, and the scaler seems to be pretty decent.

Slixshot

Banned
The back panel (black panel behind the screen) is held together by a type of glue I presume. It loosens a bit eventually for quite a few owners. Mine did that but it's probably a couple millimeters at most, nothing to worry about.

And it's in the back, you'll never notice it anyway.

Wonderful. Thank you, Shinobi.

j-wood

Yes. If output is set to 4K with a compatible display then everything is automatically scaled to 4K, and the scaler seems to be pretty decent.

Ok cool thanks for confirming! I booted up a game that I knew didn't have a pro patch and my tv still showed the res as 4K

Jiraiza

I haven't yet figured out how people are getting the Pro for $320 from this deal.

You basically download the Target app, create a kids wish list, and get a 10% coupon. Then you make another registry wishlist for college or something which is another 15% coupon. After that, it's a battle between you and the representatives in hopes of getting those coupons to stack/apply. Just be nice about it and keep trying if one turns you down. You might be able to get the 15% Cyber Monday deal too after all that. If possible, try to make an order with those coupons before getting on top of that 15% off promotion, too.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Shoot, got my pro at Best Buy yesterday, does anyone know if I can go back and I guess try and get the free game?

I think they should do it for you. Unless the csr is being an ass. In that case ask for a manager. I mean technically you COULD return and rebuy it...which you could also throw in there. Which often makes them relent since that would probably be a bigger pain in the ass than just grabbing you a game off the shelf since they'd have an open box now.

I think they'd probably process it as a return/rebuy anyhow.

Top Bottom