• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Thoraxes

Paid full MSRP for mine tonight.

Am I a chump? I couldn't get the Target app to pop the 10% coupon. Considering returning the Pro (it's unopened) and going Amazon for the 5% cash back.
Target is doing 15% off all store purchases today.

Edit: Oh i'm super lttp.

RedAssedApe

Banned
last week amazon also dropped the ps4 pro price to 359.99 for most of the day. most likely because of the 10% off tech discount that target was doing.

cross your fingers. maybe they will do it again and people can do the whole PM loop again and get it even cheaper at target.

Jiraiza

Looks like the Target 15% promotion is now live and applies to the PS4 Pro. Much better than the 10% TECH deal last Sunday.

KevinG

last week amazon also dropped the ps4 pro price to 359.99 for most of the day. most likely because of the 10% off tech discount that target was doing.

cross your fingers. maybe they will do it again and people can do the whole PM loop again and get it even cheaper at target.
What's the PM loop?

kriskrosbbk

Guys,I was playing BF1 and my Pro turned off completely.Vents were quiet,console was not warm at all.Started it again,no issues but I never experienced this on my 3years old OG.Any suggestuons?What might cause such behaviour?

pswii60

I'm having issues with The Last Of Us in 30fps (4K) mode. For some reason any water in the environment is always messed up, the water surface texture is completely missing and there's some serious clipping going on.

When I switch back to 60fps mode, everything is fine. But in 30fps mode the water messes up again. And yes I've tried turning off and on again but to no avail - anyone else had this issue?

Also in 60fps mode I'm getting some frame drops which I'm sure weren't there when I was playing on OG PS4. I thought the 60fps mode was just 1080p, so why am I seeing these issues?

Please help! Thanks!

Murman

I'm having issues with The Last Of Us in 30fps (4K) mode. For some reason any water in the environment is always messed up, the water surface texture is completely missing and there's some serious clipping going on.

When I switch back to 60fps mode, everything is fine. But in 30fps mode the water messes up again. And yes I've tried turning off and on again but to no avail - anyone else had this issue?

Also in 60fps mode I'm getting some frame drops which I'm sure weren't there when I was playing on OG PS4. I thought the 60fps mode was just 1080p, so why am I seeing these issues?

Please help! Thanks!

The 60 fps mode is 1800p I believe and yeah there are some frame drops in areas when compared to the OG PS4.

I remember reading about some issues similar to the ones you mention if you switch from 30fps and 60fps modes while playing the game on the fly, not too sure about that though.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Please help! Thanks!

i think this is a bug. i got this too. the puddles in the first area would render entirely white. i recall others with the issue on twitter. just had to play the section in 60fps mode

pswii60

The 60 fps mode is 1800p I believe and yeah there are some frame drops in areas when compared to the OG PS4.

I remember reading about some issues similar to the ones you mention if you switch from 30fps and 60fps modes while playing the game on the fly, not too sure about that though.
i think this is a bug. i got this too. the puddles in the first area would render entirely white. i recall others with the issue on twitter. just had to play the section in 60fps mode

Thanks guys. Well that's disappointing, any news of an update?

Please help! Thanks!
30fps mode has graphical issues. I noticed that shadows are missing or bugged in certain places (made a post about it here), so problem you are experiencing with water must be another issue in 30fps mode.

60fps mode runs in 1800p or so on the Pro, and you are right, sadly, there are more FPS drops because of this high resolution on the Pro.

As of now there is no way to play the game without graphical glitches or without slowdowns.

pswii60

30fps mode has graphical issues. I noticed that shadows are missing or bugged in certain places (made a post about it here), so problem you are experiencing with water must be another issue in 30fps mode.

60fps mode runs in 1800p or so on the Pro, and you are right, sadly, there are more FPS drops because of this high resolution on the Pro.

As of now there is no way to play the game without graphical glitches or without slowdowns.

Thanks. Hopefully Sony will add an OG mode that must be an option across all games, I'd take the OG version over either of the Pro modes for this game at this stage, but hopefully they'll fix soon. It does look stunning in 4K though, water glitches aside. It's a shame though as I was looking forward to playing through it again on the Pro.

Hasney

Watching Channel 4 in the UK and the ads come on.

"PS4 has been upgraded!". Sweet, finally advertising the Pro. "Slimmer and cheaper"

Wait, what?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thanks. Hopefully Sony will add an OG mode that must be an option across all games, I'd take the OG version over either of the Pro modes for this game at this stage, but hopefully they'll fix soon. It does look stunning in 4K though, water glitches aside. It's a shame though as I was looking forward to playing through it again on the Pro.

yeah its a bummer. seems like some games were rushed. luckily i've played tlou twice already and can just kind of put it away for awhile while i play newer games

pswii60

Watching Channel 4 in the UK and the ads come on.

"PS4 has been upgraded!". Sweet, finally advertising the Pro. "Slimmer and cheaper"

Wait, what?
Ha, I thought that. It's like Sony lost interest in the Pro before it even launched. Very strange, hopefully they'll give it more of a push once Christmas is out of the way.

BigEmil

Been checking out my bro's ps4 pro and to me there's not much difference from 1080p to 4k while games with higher effects or hdr is much more noticeable change

Experien

Finally got my Pro set up and played a bunch of KF2.

No visual difference thusfar but I think it played a little better. Not sure.

Any games there are a HUGE improvement for us 1080p users? Will try VR later too.

BigEmil

Finally got my Pro set up and played a bunch of KF2.

No visual difference thusfar but I think it played a little better. Not sure.

Any games there are a HUGE improvement for us 1080p users? Will try VR later too.
KF2 Framerate is much more stable on the Pro and it has better textures and dynamic shadows higher res downsampled aswell compared to base ps4

And Paragon i think is the hugest upgrade for 1080p users
From 900p 60fps to 1080p 60fps + "For Paragon on PS4 Pro, Epic has added dynamic lighting along with enhanced geometry and scene complexity. The game also utilizes new volumetric effects such as light shafts and fog; motion blur; enhanced HLOD (hierarchical level of detail) and increased view distance; screen space reflections; contact shadows; procedural grass; and advanced light bloom. “From a rendering perspective it lets us more closely realize our vision for the game by reducing the number of compromises we have to make for performance,” he said."

Can I backup my current OG PS4 data to a hard-drive, and then restore it on a PS4 Pro? Or do I need to have both consoles at the time to do a transfer?

Ha, I thought that. It's like Sony lost interest in the Pro before it even launched. Very strange, hopefully they'll give it more of a push once Christmas is out of the way.

That's my feeling, Sony are going to do a Pro push once new exclusive titles release next year, I can see Horizon Zero Dawn and GT Sport (white console) bundles next year.

Nameless

Uncharted 4, Battlefield 1, Bound, Ratchet & Clank, and Rise of the Tomb Raider would be my five go to showcase titles on Pro, whatever your display. They all see a noticeable upgrades in image and/or graphics quality.

For me getting, at minimum, near-flawless picture quality on consoles w/ stable performance for big games is kinda huge. But that was also the extent of my expectations going in. If you, like some, are looking for 4K/60 or something akin to ultra settings on PC across the board then prepare to be disappointed.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
With Amazon selling the Pro for $340, I caved and traded my old PS4 and a couple of games in for insta-credit and paid a total of $150 including shipping for the new system. Felt worth a trade-up for that price.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a 7200 1.5 gig in my normal PS4 that I plan to use in the Pro.

So I'm not going to have faster load times on the Pro unless I get an SSD?

I'm not that specifically sure, but if at the stock 5400 RPM it does faster than OG, might be the case with the 7200 RPM too.

Mephaisto

I'm sorry if this is a "you should inform yourself" question, but i'll ask anyway.

If you have a Full HD TV, is there a point to the pro? Bloodborne ran pretty poor for example, does it run better on the pro since the hardware is better? Or do games only run better if there is a real pro patch? Do most games run at 60 fps on full hd (not 4k) on the pro?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Goddamn dat Titanfall 2 on the pro

HnumdaB.gif

Wagram

The Pro looks much nicer in person. Loving that PS Logo on the top.

The pictures don't do it justice. Looks better than the normal PS4.

Humdinger

I'm sorry if this is a "you should inform yourself" question, but i'll ask anyway.

If you have a Full HD TV, is there a point to the pro?

There has been a lot of discussion on the benefits of Pro for 1080p sets. Multiple threads. General answer is yes but it depends on what you're looking for, how much you play PS4, how much you care about IQ, etc.

Bloodborne ran pretty poor for example, does it run better on the pro since the hardware is better? Or do games only run better if there is a real pro patch?

The latter. Old games that haven't been patched don't look or run any differently.

Do most games run at 60 fps on full hd (not 4k) on the pro?

No. Developers are prioritizing image quality over framerate. In a few cases, there are actually decreases in framerate stability (<30) with Pro upgrades.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So did my first purchase on the PSN store on my Pro this weekend and noticed to my joy that Sony now does CVV card challenges and use Visa 3DSecure for purchases on new devices.

Should alleviate a lot of unauthorized purchases for people unlucky enough to have their PSN accounts compromised.

MAX PAYMENT

If you have a Full HD TV, is there a point to the pro? Bloodborne ran pretty poor for example, does it run better on the pro since the hardware is better? Or do games only run better if there is a real pro patch? Do most games run at 60 fps on full hd (not 4k) on the pro?

If you're on a 1080p tv and already own a ps4, it is currently not worth the upgrade.

If image quality, addtional graphical features and higher frame-rates is your thing then the Pro is absolutely worth it, regardless of what TV you have.

I'm a 1080p TV user and I couldn't be happier with the Pro.

Hasney

If image quality, addtional graphical features and higher frame-rates is your thing then the Pro is absolutely worth it, regardless of what TV you have.

I'm a 1080p TV user and I couldn't be happier with the Pro.

Yup. I can't imagine playing FFXV onsl something less powerful now.

Gumbie

Is Netflix HDR content still not showing on the pro? Also has Amazon still not updated their app for 4k support on the pro?

Top Bottom