• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Lady Gaia

We have an entire tops dedicated to 1080p owner sand its benefits this is just not true.

Not to mention focusing on improved visuals alone ignore the extra USB port, updated WiFi and Bluetooth hardware including antennas, revised controller with support for wired connections, 1TB drive for those still on their 500GB models, and future proofing against future 4K display purchases.

It's true that for some none of these are relevant. For others, any one of the changes can be a godsend.

I bought a Pro a week ago and if you have a 1080p TV like I do it's sooooo worth it. I own Shadow of Mordor, ROTR, Watch Dogs 2, Deus Ex, Hitman, Skyrim, and Ratchet and Clank and they are all just so damn good looking now. The boost in image quality is worth the extra price IMO.

I won't say you're blind but if you don't notice the difference with a Pro on a 1080p display then you are probably blind.

D23

Anyone got impression on elder scrolls online and skryim 4k patch? Thinking of picking one of them from best buy but i can't decide.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone got impression on elder scrolls online and skryim 4k patch? Thinking of picking one of them from best buy but i can't decide.

ESO seems to be universally better on Pro, Skyrim looks extremely good at 4K but is prone to have drops to 28, 27 FPS in areas with dense fogging etc.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Both look extremely sharp at 4K but given how dated the assets in ESO are looking, it kind of feels a bit pointless. The same kind of can be said of Skyrim, wherein I flipped back and forth between the game running on my old PS4 and PRO to see the 1080/4K gap when I got the system. I really couldn't see a difference outside of squinting. And yes, Skyrim felt less smooth running at the higher resolution too, I do think the benefits weren't worth the drawbacks.

ESO was also just $10 on PSN, but not sure if that sale ended.

When I bought my 4K TV (XBR930D) a few days ago I got home with the letters HDR burned into my brain. At this point everything is connected and configured and I am so completely unimpressed by HDR.

But 4K resolution..the thing I wasn't really worried about is blowing me the fuck away. Everything we throw at this TV..games, streaming 4K, 4K off a HDD, regular old blu-rays, look insane.

Well my wife hooked me up early with a Pro. Question time, which way should I play this.

I have two 55 inch TV's. Neither have HDR. One is a Sony 900A 1080p the other is a Vizio 4k. I have moved the OG PS4 back and forth a few times and it plays better on the 900A, better picture/color. Should I do the same again, or just go with the 4k?

adamsapple

Well my wife hooked me up early with a Pro. Question time, which way should I play this.

I have two 55 inch TV's. Neither have HDR. One is a Sony 900A 1080p the other is a Vizio 4k. I have moved the OG PS4 back and forth a few times and it plays better on the 900A, better picture/color. Should I do the same again, or just go with the 4k?

You should stick with the 4K.

For games which offer enriched 1080p modes or higher resolutions, I personally find the higher resolution much more noticeable. I've tested this with Rise of Tomb Raider and Shadow of Mordor so far, in both cases the higher resolution was much better of the options.

Once you hook up the pro to the vizio, go in the video settings and confirm whether that TV supports RGB at 4K or only YUV like mine. Either way, higher resolution is the way to go imo.

You should stick with the 4K.

For games which offer enriched 1080p modes or higher resolutions, I personally find the higher resolution much more noticeable. I've tested this with Rise of Tomb Raider and Shadow of Mordor so far, in both cases the higher resolution was much better of the options.

Once you hook up the pro to the vizio, go in the video settings and confirm whether that TV supports RGB at 4K or only YUV like mine. Either way, higher resolution is the way to go imo.

K, will check-in tomorrow. It's a older 2015 model so probably limited.

Stillmatic

If you're on a 1080p tv and already own a ps4, it is currently not worth the upgrade.

Only way I can agree with that is if you have money issues. Otherwise it is definitely worth the upgrade if you want a better PS4. Us 1080p users have great improvements, and things are only going to get better.

Ishida

Banned
Question!

I currently have an 1080p TV.

Do I need to use the HDMI cable included in the Pro box in order to make use of the downsampling feature on my TV? Or can I use any other HDMI cable?

I will upgrade to 4k next year, but my question is for my Full HDTV for the time being.

ThisOne

Just bought the PS4 Pro from Amazon and will also be sending in my OG PS4 to them for credit. What's the proper way to go about "de-activating" my current PS4? I will of course do a full re-format of the system and restore it to factory settings. Do I also need to de-activate it online somewhere?

charpunk

Just bought the PS4 Pro from Amazon and will also be sending in my OG PS4 to them for credit. What's the proper way to go about "de-activating" my current PS4? I will of course do a full re-format of the system and restore it to factory settings. Do I also need to de-activate it online somewhere?

You can deactivate it in the settings of the ps4. Deactivate, then reformat.

Is Netflix HDR content still not showing on the pro? Also has Amazon still not updated their app for 4k support on the pro?

I think it's been mentioned that the Netflix app already got updated, though I don't have Netflix right now so I can't check. I'm waiting on Amazon too since that I do have.

When I bought my 4K TV (XBR930D) a few days ago I got home with the letters HDR burned into my brain. At this point everything is connected and configured and I am so completely unimpressed by HDR.

But 4K resolution..the thing I wasn't really worried about is blowing me the fuck away. Everything we throw at this TV..games, streaming 4K, 4K off a HDD, regular old blu-rays, look insane.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Rachet? That game really makes gorgeous use of HDR, in my opinion. Even just the title screen you can tell the difference.

But yeah, this stuff looks great too even just with 4K.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy shit, TrackMania Turbo looks amazing. The IQ is unbelievable.

Tyaren

Yup. I can't imagine playing FFXV onsl something less powerful now.

The graphical update is quite noticable, outside of the higher resolution most of all the texture and texture filtering quality.
Open both images in a separate browser tap and click back and forth for the best comparison:

PS4:
30468122834_93098a4b8e_o.png

PS4 Pro HQ:
30921923470_f37caef7f6_o.png

And that grass on Pro...
30445695984_a46bca818a_o.png

Tagg9

The graphical update is quite noticable, outside of the higher resolution most of all the texture and texture filtering quality.
Open both images in a separate browser tap and click back and forth for the best comparison:

Wow, shadow quality and AF looks miles better on the Pro.

mauaus

PS4:
30468122834_93098a4b8e_o.png

PS4 Pro HQ:
30921923470_f37caef7f6_o.png

And that grass on Pro...
30445695984_a46bca818a_o.png
How is the performance on the newest patch

gow3isben

Hey guys sorry if the question is repeating, but are the upgrades from the pro automatically visible on games with a pro patch? Meaning there is nothing specific we have to do to activate pro mode on games like Ratchet and Clank or RotTR right? In the latter's case I know there are three options to choose form but do we automatically get those options available?

adamsapple

Hey guys sorry if the question is repeating, but are the upgrades from the pro automatically visible on games with a pro patch? Meaning there is nothing specific we have to do to activate pro mode on games like Ratchet and Clank or RotTR right? In the latter's case I know there are three options to choose form but do we automatically get those options available?

Yes, if the game supports a Pro patch and if the patch's already downloaded, it is automatic. There's no 'toggle' to enable or disable.

In cases like RoTR, Mordor etc which offer multiple options, you'll be able to switch via the in-game options, it's not a system level change.

mauaus

Still downloading but I already found it solid before. I also tried to emulate the stutter filmed in training mode, that somone made another thread about, but it felt smooth to me.
Nice! I'm not too sensitive to drops unless they are severe... Keep us updated after the patch :)

buenoblue

Yeah I am a bit disappointed with hdr on pro to. I have ks7000. Wish there was in game adjustments like forza horizon 3. That game looks freaking amazing.

Saberus

Here's a strange thing, just upgraded my tv to LG oled and never played a blu ray movie yet on the Pro, so I did today, and my older disks would not play, and some of the new ones would.

I had to switch to hdmi 1.4 on the pro for this to work. So between this and the hassle with PSVR with the whole HDR thing, I'm starting to get little frustrated now.

KalBalboa

Banned
So... is there an official story on the $10 PSN credit for Pro owners?

I just set mine up and wondered if I should expect the credit to pop up or if it's only for new PSN IDs.

pottuvoi

Banned
Yeah if any game is in dire need of a pro patch it's TLG. It has Bloodborne levels of aliasing on ps4. Thankfully I'll be able to enjoy it almost jaggy free.
It really doesn't help that they use quite strong sharpening filter.

Hoping there is possibility to turn it off.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just tried Deus Ex on the Pro with the latest patch and the difference is MASSIVE. The game now runs very smooth and feels genuinely playable. Previously in 4K, the game felt like it ran at a hitchy sub 30fps constantly with noticeable lag. No longer an issue and the image quality is strikingly sharp.

Cubed

I'm enjoying the Pro so much that it's hard to go back to non-Pro games when I play PS4. I never thought I'd see a game running in native 1080P and think "... gross..."

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just got a Pro and want to test it out on my TV. Are there any demos I can try out in 4K? Also, anyway to confirm that games are indeed playing at 4K?

Anyone else jump to Dishonored 2 after Titanfall 2? I'm sad to say it's not flattering for D2. The game looks kinda ugly in comparison; image quality not nearly as sharp, and the environments just don't look great IMO. And it's not nearly as smooth to control. Then I tried some combat which I feel is not so hot. Only done 1 chapter, so hopefully things improve.

Lady Gaia

So... is there an official story on the $10 PSN credit for Pro owners?

I just set mine up and wondered if I should expect the credit to pop up or if it's only for new PSN IDs.

Mine just showed up after a few days using the same PSN ID I've had forever. I did make sure to transfer my primary account association to the Pro but I have no idea if that's required.

Anyone else jump to Dishonored 2 after Titanfall 2? I'm sad to say it's not flattering for D2. The game looks kinda ugly in comparison; image quality not nearly as sharp, and the environments just don't look great IMO. And it's not nearly as smooth to control. Then I tried some combat which I feel is not so hot. Only done 1 chapter, so hopefully things improve.

Dishonored 2 is an odd game. There are parts that aren't all that impressive, and the start falls into that category. There are other parts of the game that are quite visually rich. It's just somewhat hit and miss. I'm loving the game as an investment in lore and a creative stealth experience, though.

I have a question, I am buying the PRO and want to give my nephew and niece my OG ps4 with my account so that they can use my PSN games. Do I need to deactivate my primary account from OG PS4, or it's just enough to also active my primary on PS4 PRO, and leave my account on OG PS4!? thx for the help :)

I have a question, I am buying the PRO and want to give my nephew and niece my OG ps4 with my account so that they can use my PSN games. Do I need to deactivate my primary account from OG PS4, or it's just enough to also active my primary on PS4 PRO, and leave my account on OG PS4!? thx for the help :)

You can only have one as primary.

I left my old PS4 as primary, my son has his own psn account but can log on and access all my games

I logged into the PS4 PRO, did not make primary, can access all my games

Top Bottom