• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Both look extremely sharp at 4K but given how dated the assets in ESO are looking, it kind of feels a bit pointless. The same kind of can be said of Skyrim, wherein I flipped back and forth between the game running on my old PS4 and PRO to see the 1080/4K gap when I got the system. I really couldn't see a difference outside of squinting. And yes, Skyrim felt less smooth running at the higher resolution too, I do think the benefits weren't worth the drawbacks.

ESO was also just $10 on PSN, but not sure if that sale ended.

I disagree. Skyrim in 4K is a huge boost to IQ imo. How big is your screen? I'm getting so used to 4K it's hard to go back to 1080p. There's just so much detail I was missing.

valkyre

I just bought my PS4 Pro! :)

This definitely has been answered many times and I apologize but please tell me if the below is correct:

In order to transfer data from my old PS4 to the Pro, I will connect both consoles via wi fi so that they can sign in to PSN and then I will connect both consoles via LAN to make the transfer process.

Is that the fastest way to transfer my data or not?

Thanks.

Makikou

This definitely has been answered many times and I apologize but please tell me if the below is correct:

In order to transfer data from my old PS4 to the Pro, I will connect both consoles via wi fi so that they can sign in to PSN and then I will connect both consoles via LAN to make the transfer process.

Thanks.

I did it so that I hooked up both consoles to the internet switch in my room, turned on OG PS4 and then started the setting up process on Pro.

Took 70 minutes for 260gb of data.

Piichan

Banned

Thanks.
Yep, that's how I did it. Process took about an hour. P.T. also transferred over fine btw.

pwnage2u

Banned
Has anyone played Nba 2k17 and started a new gm/franchise mode and the hard drive spins like crazy? I could hear it writing my new game and it was extremely loud but other then that the Ps4 Pro is crazy quite.

Crumpo

Tried to take some screenshots of the gorgeous CoD:IW campaign and the pro was freaking out...it would refuse to take screenshots and basically hang all the ps buttons until it's worked out you wanted to take a screenshot.

Then, about 2mins later, it sorts itself out and takes multiple screens of me.

Sony pls...you're making it hard for me to share the 4k goodness.

I wonder will we see any 1080p 120hz games, such as Quake Champions, in the future. Might be very interesting to those of use with large monitors, or TVs that can support it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Before I left for work this morning I noticed my PS4 had a solid orange light. What does that mean?

Ichabod

Banned
I want to take the dive on a Pro, but I'm only going to throw in for a bunduru. Any idea, realistically, when we might see, say, a FFXV bundle?

Kalentan

Make sure your Display Area Settings are enlarged to the maximum area.

(Settings) > [Sound and Screen] > [Display Area Settings]
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html

Some games have their own setting too but they should default to the system default set above.

Hey just saw your post. I actually already did this when I noticed the issue. I think it's an issue with the game itself. When the game initally boots up, there is no black border. However as soon as you press X to start, the game then shrinks slightly and uses the black border.

I see the black border in some youtube videos and yet when I google it, there appears to be no one who has ever questioned it.

GravyButt

Quick question. Im going to give my bro my ps4 and grab a ps4 pro right after xmas probably. He's never going to play online but is there a way he can play my digital games if I leave my ps4 like it is and give him my username ect? Obviously id still want access to all my stuff when I get the pro but was curious if this was possible I remember a setting like home console or something? Figured id ask here first before getting him excited with the thoughts of a few digital games he could play.

Lady Gaia

Quick question. Im going to give my bro my ps4 and grab a ps4 pro right after xmas probably. He's never going to play online but is there a way he can play my digital games if I leave my ps4 like it is and give him my username ect? Obviously id still want access to all my stuff when I get the pro but was curious if this was possible I remember a setting like home console or something? Figured id ask here first before getting him excited with the thoughts of a few digital games he could play.

While you can play the same licensed titles on two consoles there are some serious limitations designed to make it unattractive. You can only play your purchased games as you, or as someone else on your designated primary PS4. Your account can buy games on PSN using your stored credit information. You can't be signed into the same account on two systems (at least while both are connected to the Internet.)

madmackem

While you can play the same licensed titles on two consoles there are some serious limitations designed to make it unattractive. You can only play your purchased games as you, or as someone else on your designated primary PS4. Your account can buy games on PSN using your stored credit information. You can't be signed into the same account on two systems (at least while both are connected to the Internet.)
It works like it does on Xbox, it's easy to use. He'd have to make the console he's giving his bro the primary account then setup and account for his bro.

eastx

It works like it does on Xbox, it's easy to use. He'd have to make the console he's giving his bro the primary account then setup and account for his bro.

Playing digital titles on two systems does not work exactly the same on PS4 as it does on Xbox. On the non-primary system, ONLY the content owner can play the digital content. Nobody else can. This differs from Xbox, where you can sign in the content owner on the non-primary system and then someone else can sign in and play the game.

MAX PAYMENT

A lot of people chimed in refuting my claim that it isn't worth the upgrade for a 1080p owner if you already have a ps4.

I have a 4k tv and, while I do think it was worth it, the hassle of trading and moving over all of my data was quite the pain.

It ended up being more difficult than I expected and I found it to he barely worth it on a 4k. Id have been severely disappointed if I was still on 1080p.

That being said, the thing just came out. I'm sure it will prove it's worth over time. While I'm still glad I made the upgrade, I still feel a little underwhelmed.

Crumpo

A lot of people chimed in refuting my claim that it isn't worth the upgrade for a 1080p owner if you already have a ps4.

I have a 4k tv and, while I do think it was worth it, the hassle of trading and moving over all of my data was quite the pain.

It ended up being more difficult than I expected and I found it to he barely worth it on a 4k. Id have been severely disappointed if I was still on 1080p.

That being said, the thing just came out. I'm sure it will prove it's worth over time. While I'm still glad I made the upgrade, I still feel a little underwhelmed.

Moving your saved data was such a hassle it almost wasn't worth upgrading? Well, that's a new one.

On the IQ point I noticed the difference on a 5 year-old lcd tv; moreso on my new 4k tv. I know it's more anecdotes but it really did make a difference.

XaosWolf

Been enjoying my PS4 Pro all week with Watch Dogs 2 and that game looks great. Its FAR quieter than my OG PS4 too.

Went into town on my lunchbreak today to look at the KS8000 in the wild and despite the HDR and general setting being all wrong, they were playing 4K footage and it looked delicious.

Can't wait to see what's available/affordable come my February bonus time. =D

taizuke

I own the OG PS4 and just ordered the Pro. I plan to give my old PS4 to my sis and set the Pro as my primary on my account.

Can she use her account to play the games i bought/PS Plus (my account) in the old PS4 as long as my account is in it?

A. Your TV sucks.

B. You have terrible eyesight.

C. You just want to hate on the Pro.

Which is it?

5taquitos

I own the OG PS4 and just ordered the Pro. I plan to give my old PS4 to my sis and set the Pro as my primary on my account.

Can she use her account to play the games i bought/PS Plus (my account) in the old PS4 as long as my account is in it?

You'll need to keep the original as your primary, and then she can play all of your purchases on the original system using her own account. You'll then log into your Pro but not set it as primary and you can play your own games.

Did anyone elses ps4 disc drive make weird noises when installing watch dogs 2?

Same thing happened to me, the disc started and stopped spinning repeatedly. I ejected the disc, put it back in then started the game and left it at the title screen until it fully installed. It then stopped spinning and has been fine ever since.

This is the first time this has happened to me on either the OG or Pro.

taizuke

You'll need to keep the original as your primary, and then she can play all of your purchases on the original system using her own account. You'll then log into your Pro but not set it as primary and you can play your own games.

Can i make new purchases on the Pro or will i have to buy everything on the OG PS4 if i want the both of us to have access to new games on both systems?

5taquitos

Can i make new purchases on the Pro or will i have to buy everything on the OG PS4 if i want the both of us to have access to new games on both systems?

You can make purchases on the Pro and download them directly to your Pro. When you make a purchase on the webstore with the old system as your primary, clicking the "Download to PS4" button will download it to the old system.

If you make a purchase on your Pro and want your sister to be able to play it on the original PS4, either use the web store to start downloading it to her system, or log into your account on the old system and download it through the Library.

In the end, all of your purchases are available for both systems, you just have to jump through a hoop or two to start downloading.

you can make your purchases on any console or on their web and just click to get it downloaded to both PS4s at the same time.

I thought when you start a web store download, it only downloads to your primary console?

MAX PAYMENT

Moving your saved data was such a hassle it almost wasn't worth upgrading? Well, that's a new one.

On the IQ point I noticed the difference on a 5 year-old lcd tv; moreso on my new 4k tv. I know it's more anecdotes but it really did make a difference.

Gamestop wouldn't take it with anything other than a 500gb.

I didn't know I had to have the system files on a usb.

The system is a tad underwhelming. I showed the fiance the 4k difference.

"I don't get it." Was her response.

Either you're in tune to IQ bumps or you're not.

Ishida

Banned
Quoting myself from the last page. Anyone knows the answer to this?

Question!

I currently have an 1080p TV.

Do I need to use the HDMI cable included in the Pro box in order to make use of the downsampling feature on my TV? Or can I use any other HDMI cable?

I will upgrade to 4k next year, but my question is for my Full HDTV for the time being.

noomi

Quite happy with the PS4Pro :D

Was able to sell my OG PS4 on ebay with 2 controllers and a 2TB hard drive for $370..... was shocked when someone actually bought it for that much....

MAX PAYMENT

A. Your TV sucks.

Which is it?

None of these. Good try though.

The pro was worth it to me because I value the incremental upgrade.

I can't recommend the ps4 pro to someone who already has a ps4 unless they're just really in tune to things like resolution bumps and other IQ improvements.

pwnage2u

Banned
I have a bit of a problem with my Pro. It won't turn on at all and I have a game stuck in it. Anyone have advice on how to solve this?

You can only have one as primary.

I left my old PS4 as primary, my son has his own psn account but can log on and access all my games

I logged into the PS4 PRO, did not make primary, can access all my games
thx m8. Will put my pro on primary, but download all the games on og ps4 prior to activating ps4pro (bought 1Tb hdd for them) as they are not going to play online.

5taquitos

thx m8. Will put my pro on primary, but download all the games on og ps4 prior to activating ps4pro (bought 1Tb hdd for them) as they are not going to play online.

That won't work, if the old system is not your primary they'll need to log in with your account to play games that you've downloaded to it. This will kick you off your Pro if you're logged in, even if they're not playing online since you can't be signed in on two PS4s at once.

That's my understanding at least, I could be mistaken.

Shai-Tan

Banned
This really doesn't matter because I have Netflix built into the TV but I was wondering what are the proper audio settings to get (passthrough?) 5.1 audio when using Netflix on the PS4, specifically when I am using optical audio out. I have it set to dolby digital out currently with bitstream but it doesn't sound quite right compared to the audio coming from Netflix on the tv?

This really doesn't matter because I have Netflix built into the TV but I was wondering what are the proper audio settings to get (passthrough?) 5.1 audio when using Netflix on the PS4, specifically when I am using optical audio out. I have it set to dolby digital out currently with bitstream but it doesn't sound quite right compared to the audio coming from Netflix on the tv?

Did you set the optical out as primary output port?

Humdinger

Is Bound worth it without VR?

Yeah, I think so. The visuals are great, and watching the movement is a pleasure. It's more of an aesthetic experience than a great gameplay experience, though -- the platforming is kind of iffy. I really enjoyed the aesthetics of it, though, and I've played it through several times. The Pro upgrade makes it look even better.

A. Your TV sucks.

Which is it?

Come on, now. People are allowed to have negative opinions. Doesn't mean they're blind haters. I disagree with him -- I'm a 1080p owner who thinks the Pro upgrade was easily worth it, and obviously I'm not alone -- but some people feel underwhelmed by the upgrade. No big deal.

Boss Man

I agree. I have the KS8000 (which I love for all other content) but the Pro was not worth it. It's introduced more problems than it's worth, and it's ugly.

For a 1080p TV, I can't imagine how it would be worth the upgrade.

Planet

On the non-primary system, ONLY the content owner can play the digital content. Nobody else can. This differs from Xbox, where you can sign in the content owner on the non-primary system and then someone else can sign in and play the game.
It works the same on PS4, as long as the content owner is logged in, you can use the content. What makes you say it would be any different? Whatever, you are wrong.

EDIT: this was not true, shame on me, but a bit more shame on Sony... :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wonder will we see any 1080p 120hz games, such as Quake Champions, in the future. Might be very interesting to those of use with large monitors, or TVs that can support it.

The Trackmania Turbo VR campaign does that.

eastx

It works the same on PS4, as long as the content owner is logged in, you can use the content. What makes you say it would be any different? Whatever, you are wrong.

No, I'm not wrong. On Xbox systems, anyone can use purchased content on the non-primary once the content owner is logged in. On PlayStation 4 non-primary systems, only the content owner can use it - not anyone else. You should read what I wrote a few more times, and try to be more polite in your future interactions.

aajohnny

I'm thinking of trading my PS4 in for a Pro. Question:

If I bought a 2 TB HDD for my Ps4 can I remove it and put it in the Pro with all of my saves, etc?

Top Bottom