• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

I'm thinking of trading my PS4 in for a Pro. Question:

If I bought a 2 TB HDD for my Ps4 can I remove it and put it in the Pro with all of my saves, etc?

Nope, you have to back it up to an external drive OR have both PS4s working and use the transfer method to move everything from the PS4 to the Pro.

Okay, I'm about to unbox my PS4 Pro. I have a OG PS4 that will stay in its current location. I have a few questions that I would appreciate some answers to.

Is there anything I should know that you wish someone would have told you prior to starting? Can I still access all my stuff on both consoles at the same time, Pro will be my primary console but the OG will be used occasionally. I ask this cause I see a thread talking about the difficulties owning two Sony consoles and it just seems confusing. Anything I need to look out for defect wise?

A. Your TV sucks.

B. You have terrible eyesight.

C. You just want to hate on the Pro.

Which is it?
I swear to god this forum allows zero dissenting opinion in threads without people pulling out the torches.

People need to understand everyone has an opinion and they aren't out to get you personally.

TheZink

Okay, I'm about to unbox my PS4 Pro. I have a OG PS4 that will stay in its current location. I have a few questions that I would appreciate some answers to.

Is there anything I should know that you wish someone would have told you prior to starting? Can I still access all my stuff on both consoles at the same time, Pro will be my primary console but the OG will be used occasionally. I ask this cause I see a thread talking about the difficulties owning two Sony consoles and it just seems confusing. Anything I need to look out for defect wise?
If the pro is primary the OG will have to be connected to the internet to get access to your purchases I believe.

eastx

Provided both systems are connected to PSN, you can play the same game on both systems at once. Anybody can play on the console you designate as the primary console. Only the person who owns the digital game can play it on the second, non-primary console.

If the pro is primary the OG will have to be connected to the internet to get access to your purchases I believe.

Provided both systems are connected to PSN, you can play the same game on both systems at once. Anybody can play on the console you designate as the primary console. Only the person who owns the digital game can play it on the second, non-primary console.

Perfect, that won't be an issue. Transfer said it would take 10 hours, that cannot be real. I had 400gb.

Kalentan

Hey guys is there any reason why my LG 4K TV might not support 2160p - RGB?

It only seems to support YV420. Does that have anything to do with using the VR Processor?

Humdinger

I swear to god this forum allows zero dissenting opinion in threads without people pulling out the torches.

I don't think it's the whole forum. I think it's just occasional posters who come off intolerant or attacking. Plenty of people have expressed lukewarm opinions on Pro in this thread without much backlash. And I see several people standing up for this guy's right to express a negative view.

People do get tired of the shitposting on topics like this. I get that. I don't think that's what was happening here, though.

DJ Gunner

Might be a dumb question, but can a secondary accounton the OG PS4 (primary system) play multiplayer if that secondary account does not have ps plus (but the primary account does)?

Footos22

No, I'm not wrong. On Xbox systems, anyone can use purchased content once the content owner is logged in. On PlayStation 4 systems, only the content owner can use it - not anyone else. You should read what I wrote a few more times, and try to be more polite in your future interactions.

That is false. I play stuff from my other accounts all the time. I'm not logged in at all. My daughter plays lego games that I have on my account on hers without having to have me logged in.

molnizzle

No, I'm not wrong. On Xbox systems, anyone can use purchased content once the content owner is logged in. On PlayStation 4 systems, only the content owner can use it - not anyone else. You should read what I wrote a few more times, and try to be more polite in your future interactions.

Not true. Xbone and PS4 work exactly the same way in this regard. On the primary console (called "home console" on Xbox) anyone can play any of the owner's content. On a secondary console the owner has to be logged in. Been like this since the gen started and never changed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Might be a dumb question, but can a secondary accounton the OG PS4 (primary system) play multiplayer if that secondary account does not have ps plus (but the primary account does)?

Yes. As long as the account with Plus has the particular PS4 designated as Primary, all other accounts on the device can take advantage of Plus benefits like playing the games and online access. However, on the non-Primary PS4, a PS+ account has to be logged in. Once you log out and log into a different account, PS+ benefits are not accessible.

Just as a heads up for those with LG TV's that were experiencing issues and had to set the hdcp to 1.4, a new firmware was released for the tv's today (04.30.70) that fixed the issue for me. Finally rocking that sweet, sweet HDCP 2.2.

Kalentan

Just as a heads up for those with LG TV's that were experiencing issues and had to set the hdcp to 1.4, a new firmware was released for the tv's today (04.30.70) that fixed the issue for me. Finally rocking that sweet, sweet HDCP 2.2.

So I have the LG webOS TV UH6030 and it still claims there is no new firmware.

Still says 4.30.40 is the latest. Is there a roll out for specific TVs or did I get one that won't be updated?

Shin-Ra

The feeling you get playing The Witness with HDR in 4K:

30485625124_1ac93d8eb2_o.png

III-V

My bad then. Had it on automatic, had to force YUV to avoid the issue.

Auto will default to 8-bit RGB for non-HDR game, and 10 or 12-bit 422 or 420 for HDR. Some people's sets have an issue with 12-bit, so likely this was the issue, and forcing 2160p YUV420 10-bit is a good solution.

The underlying issue can be your TV or the EDID handshake or spotty cable.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
System is seriously saying 10hrs for 500gbs that cannot be right. Right?

Took me almost exactly 24 hours to transfer 1tb. I started it overnight and went to work the next morning, still had 3 hours left when I got home, almost exactly the time I started the process before bed the day before.

I had both consoles plugged into my router for the transfer. Wish I tested to see if directly connecting via LAN was faster, but once the process started I was afraid of cancelling, so I just dealt with it. There are plenty on the forum whom had better luck directly connecting and transferred 500-1tb in a fraction of that time.

New Pro owner here, few questions:

1. Currently have a 1080p set. Outside of certain games that have graphical "options", do games just automatically run in downsampled mode? Ditto for VR games?

2. Trying to figure out if I should keep my OG PS4 so I can leave it at my parents house when I visit. My only question is if it's easy to play games from my digital library on the second console? If so, what's the process?

3. When I get a 4K TV, are there any special settings I will have to enable (outside of setting the display resolution and color gamut), or like the 1080p modes, is it "automatic" after that?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
New Pro owner here, few questions:

1. Currently have a 1080p set. Outside of certain games that have graphical "options", do games just automatically run in downsampled mode? Ditto for VR games?

2. Trying to figure out if I should keep my OG PS4 so I can leave it at my parents house when I visit. My only question is if it's easy to play games from my digital library on the second console? If so, what's the process?

3. When I get a 4K TV, are there any special settings I will have to enable (outside of setting the display resolution and color gamut), or like the 1080p modes, is it "automatic" after that?

1. Should automatically downsample, don't think any settings need adjusting for that, but others can help better(and state your brand and TV model).

2. Only one PS4 can be listed as your primary. This is the console in which your PSN account is tied to. It primarily limits certain PSN elements on your OG console, but all your purchases are still playable just fine on the OG, just use the PSN webstore to download games directly to that console, or log-in on the OG and download from the library. Not certain of all the limitations but others can chime in, but really you can use the backup console just fine outside of some PSN purchasing hoops.

3. Depending on the TV you get there may be a couple settings to activate for 4K and HDR on the TV to get everything to sync properly. GAF can help with this when you do choose and upgrade, but generally most settings will be ready to go and the TV's usually will auto-detect and adjust as necessary. (My Sony 4K set automatically recognizes the PS4 by name and auto switches to Game mode and sets 2160p without my involvement). You mostly just need to make sure to plug the Pro into the proper HDMI port as not all ports are equal on every set(you really just want one that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 or above...tv documentation will tell you this, or GAF can again tell you once you know the brand and model)

1. Should automatically downsample, don't think any settings need adjusting for that, but others can help better(and state your brand and TV model).

2. Only one PS4 can be listed as your primary. This is the console in which your PSN account is tied to. It primarily limits certain PSN elements on your OG console, but all your purchases are still playable just fine on the OG, just use the PSN webstore to download games directly to that console, or log-in on the OG and download from the library. Not certain of all the limitations but others can chime in, but really you can use the backup console just fine outside of some PSN purchasing hoops.

3. Depending on the TV you get there may be a couple settings to activate for 4K and HDR on the TV to get everything to sync properly. GAF can help with this when you do choose and upgrade, but generally most settings will be ready to go and the TV's usually will auto-detect and adjust as necessary. (My Sony 4K set automatically recognizes the PS4 by name and auto switches to Game mode and sets 2160p without my involvement). You mostly just need to make sure to plug the Pro into the proper HDMI port as not all ports are equal on every set(you really just want one that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 or above...tv documentation will tell you this, or GAF can again tell you once you know the brand and model)

Thanks, so it sounds like I can still keep my OG and play my games library. Just need to redownload them on the OG while keeping my Pro the primary account. I suppose the restriction is that I can't play the same game on both OG and Pro at the same time?

I'm getting the KS8000 4K set soon, so I'll set up the digital foundry recommendations. Looks like the game should handle the 'Pro/4K' mode automatically.

eastx

Not true. Xbone and PS4 work exactly the same way in this regard. On the primary console (called "home console" on Xbox) anyone can play any of the owner's content. On a secondary console the owner has to be logged in. Been like this since the gen started and never changed.

I tested this just the other day. Signing in with the content owner and then signing in with a different account will not allow the non-owner to play a game on my PS4 Pro, which is the non-primary system.

PikkonX

So I have the LG webOS TV UH6030 and it still claims there is no new firmware.

Still says 4.30.40 is the latest. Is there a roll out for specific TVs or did I get one that won't be updated?

I have the same TV and received the firmware earlier today that resolved all issues. It appears that your country determines the rollout. Are you in the US?

Gamestop wouldn't take it with anything other than a 500gb.

I didn't know I had to have the system files on a usb.

The system is a tad underwhelming. I showed the fiance the 4k difference.

"I don't get it." Was her response.

Either you're in tune to IQ bumps or you're not.

What games did you try if you don't mind me asking?

(bought a pro but won't get play it for a few weeks)

People need to understand everyone has an opinion and they aren't out to get you personally.

That was a joke.

jonezer4

I'm having an issue with my 2014 Samsung UHDTV (UN65HU7250) I'm hoping GAF might have insight on.

I just directly hooked up a high speed HDMI cable between the PS4 and the MHL port on the TV and now the PS4 now reports that HDCP level is 2.2, which should mean 4K will work on video services.

However, when I open Netflix, I don't have any 4K/UHD category. I'm assuming that means no 4K. And I can't find any option to detect if any Ultra HD titles are indeed playing in 4K either.

Anyone have any ideas?

lordxar

I'm having an issue with my 2014 Samsung UHDTV (UN65HU7250) I'm hoping GAF might have insight on.

I just directly hooked up a high speed HDMI cable between the PS4 and the MHL port on the TV and now the PS4 now reports that HDCP level is 2.2, which should mean 4K will work on video services.

However, when I open Netflix, I don't have any 4K/UHD category. I'm assuming that means no 4K. And I can't find any option to detect if any Ultra HD titles are indeed playing in 4K either.

Anyone have any ideas?

You paying for the 4 screen option? That's the only tier Netflix offers 4k streaming. Once there it says in the title card that it's supported. Can't remember phrasing but it's apparent. Once I subbed that tier things lit up but that was before I cancelled them in October and before I got the Pro yesterday.

Anyone find a good splitter that allows for HDR passthrough with the PSVR? I was thinking a splitter that I could have PS4PRO HDR in one input and PS4PRO PSVR in the other. Or is there a better way? Thanks!

jonezer4

You paying for the 4 screen option? That's the only tier Netflix offers 4k streaming. Once there it says in the title card that it's supported. Can't remember phrasing but it's apparent. Once I subbed that tier things lit up but that was before I cancelled them in October and before I got the Pro yesterday.

Appreciate the response Yeah, I've got the 4k/4 screen option. 4K works on my TV's Netflix app, just nothing on the PS4.

Anyone find a good splitter that allows for HDR passthrough with the PSVR? I was thinking a splitter that I could have PS4PRO HDR in one input and PS4PRO PSVR in the other. Or is there a better way? Thanks!

This one is supposed to work so long as you're using all certified premium high speed HDMI cables in the chain.

Appreciate the response Yeah, I've got the 4k/4 screen option. 4K works on my TV's Netflix app, just nothing on the PS4.

This one is supposed to work so long as you're using all certified premium high speed HDMI cables in the chain.

Ahhh thanks! Although I just realized how horrible that would be. I'd need a HDMI cable coming from my PS4 that then goes into the splitter, then a HDMI cable going into the PSVR box, then an hdmi cable going from the psvr box into my tv and an hdmi cable going from the splitter into my TV.

Four HDMI cables for one console. Fuck. Why can't they release a proper thing!

Planet

On PlayStation 4 systems, only the content owner can use it - not anyone else.
You are correct, I was mistaken. Sorry for my wrongful intervention, obviously I was utterly convinced it was the way you just had to be logged in. I must have switched to my account on starting my games on a friend's console, but I thought we ran it using his account.
You should read what I wrote a few more times, and try to be more polite in your future interactions.
There was no problem with my reading comprehension, just with my understanding of the way licenses work. Still I can't see me having been especially rude, just (erranously) contradicting. You are being more rude with these words than I have been, but you clearly have a reason while I was barking up the wrong tree.

Oh Sony, why did you do this? With the owner being logged in in the background, it should really satisfy the need to validate. This sucks a bit, effectively forcing you to move around your primary status when you want to properly party elsewhere.

impirius

I'm thinking of trading my PS4 in for a Pro. Question:

If I bought a 2 TB HDD for my Ps4 can I remove it and put it in the Pro with all of my saves, etc?
If only it was that easy! I swapped my 2TB drive over yesterday, and it was a pain. You'll need a USB drive that is large enough to hold a backup of your current PS4.

KORNdoggy

If only it was that easy! I swapped my 2TB drive over yesterday, and it was a pain. You'll need a USB drive that is large enough to hold a backup of your current PS4.

as an addition to this. i'd recommend slimming down that content on your original PS4 before transferring.

anything you can simply re-install off a disc, delete.
anything you're not playing and don't see yourself playing again, delete.
captured footage and screenshots, delete.

just keep the important stuff: saves, games you're playing now that have been updates heavily and have become huge files. big downloadable titles (to save on bandwidth if you have download limits) and the PT demo...obviously.

it'll make the process much quicker.

oh. and sync your trophies before hand.

anothertech

I tested this just the other day. Signing in with the content owner and then signing in with a different account will not allow the non-owner to play a game on my PS4 Pro, which is the non-primary system.
Some confusion here.

It's the same on Xbone. Non Home console has to be logged in to play content. Home console can be logged in the background but other users can play content.

Ps4 non primary system has to be logged in to play content, primary system however a different user can log in and play content and use ps+ for online features as well.

What's better about Ps4 though, is the primary system logged in with a different user can play the same game at the same time as the non primary system logged into the account, and basically share one copy of the game. It's brilliant for multiplayer, my son and I have been doing this for a while now. Xbone doesn't allow this unfortunately..

noomi

The Witness in HDR & 4K is something to behold. I tried the 1400p @ 60FPS setting but quickly switched back to the native 4K setting... it's just too damn nice.

Top Bottom