• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Angel_DvA

Hello, I was hoping to find out where I could purchase an additional power cable for the PS4 Pro. Since the Pro switched to a different cable from the original PS4, I'm having trouble locating the new cable online and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kudo

Hello, I was hoping to find out where I could purchase an additional power cable for the PS4 Pro. Since the Pro switched to a different cable from the original PS4, I'm having trouble locating the new cable online and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Think you can use just any 3-prong cable, ones that computer PSUs use.
http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Power-Cords/SubCategory/ID-2827

Is there any site that lists upcoming Ps4 Pro enhanced games?

eastx

Some confusion here.

It's the same on Xbone. Non Home console has to be logged in to play content. Home console can be logged in the background but other users can play content.

Ps4 non primary system has to be logged in to play content, primary system however a different user can log in and play content and use ps+ for online features as well.

What's better about Ps4 though, is the primary system logged in with a different user can play the same game at the same time as the non primary system logged into the account, and basically share one copy of the game. It's brilliant for multiplayer, my son and I have been doing this for a while now. Xbone doesn't allow this unfortunately..

What you're describing works on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We play the same digital game on both Xbox Ones all the time. It worked exactly the same on 360 as well.

I was describing how playing a game on the non-primary system works with PS4. According to my own testing, a non-content owner cannot play the content owner's games on a non-primary system. Not even by first signing in the owner and then signing in the non-owner.

You are correct, I was mistaken. Sorry for my wrongful intervention, obviously I was utterly convinced it was the way you just had to be logged in. I must have switched to my account on starting my games on a friend's console, but I thought we ran it using his account.

Oh Sony, why did you do this? With the owner being logged in in the background, it should really satisfy the need to validate. This sucks a bit, effectively forcing you to move around your primary status when you want to properly party elsewhere.

No worries. Glad you tried it for yourself to see how it really works. i was surprised as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What you're describing works on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We play the same digital game on both Xbox Ones all the time. It worked exactly the same on 360 as well.

I was describing how playing a game on the non-primary system works with PS4. Although a couple of people are either mistaken or misreading my comments, According to my own testing, a non-content owner cannot play the content owner's games on a non-primary system. Not even by first signing in the owner and then signing in the non-owner.

Exactly. The benefits of an "owner" account (plus, games) only get conferred to other accounts on a machine designated as primary for the "owner". On non-primary machines, or when the owner is now a "guest" on a machine nothing gets transferred to other accounts from the "guest" account.

Benedict

Don't know where to post this but I've gotten an offer to buy a 55" Philips Ambilight 55PUS6501 at a good discount.
6990 sek instead of 9990 sek. That's about 757 USD.
I wonder if its a good fit for a PS4 Pro or gaming in general?
It's a 4K TV with HDR+ but I am not sure about the response time and lag.

I have a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46EX500 that I bought in 2011.
Somebody know if there is a difference in quality?

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/55PUS6...-ambilight-2-sided-and-pixel-precise-ultra-hd

http://www.elgiganten.se/product/ljud-bild/tv/55PUS6501/philips-55-4k-uhd-smart-tv-55pus6501

Any better thread that I should ask in as well?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think I finally realized how a lot of these enhanced modes work on a 1080p set... I select the 4k mode, and the console "supersamples" the image into 1080p?

Is that right? Or does the game need to specifically support super sampling on a 1080p set?

I think I finally realized how a lot of these enhanced modes work on a 1080p set... I select the 4k mode, and the console "supersamples" the image into 1080p?

Is that right? Or does the game need to specifically support super sampling on a 1080p set?

It's the Pro. If you have a 1080p set it doesn't upscale to 4k, it just takes the existing res (which for 4K is something higher, like 1800p, 1400p, etc) and downscales that to 1080p. (Or perhaps downscales 4K, depending on how they setup the UI layer) You get a nice sharper image. Your TV doesn't do anything except be the dumb 4k or 1080p receptacle. You shouldn't have to select a resolution at all.

leehom

Aww yes. My samsung 850 evo 1tb ssd finally came in. Transferring 300gb of data and the PS4 says it will take approx. 27 minutes.

Don't have any impressions yet, but might give some in a few days after I get a chance to play with it more. What I did notice is the new DS4 is nicer!
Feels like they put in a pad between the buttons and shell to soften the button clicks. Even the triggers feel softer to push in vs the older DS4.

Anyone else notice other upgrades to the controller?

5taquitos

Is there any way to change which PS4 the web store downloads to? I'd like to download to my non-primary PS4 from the store, but I'm not sure that it's possible.

Omerta

Don't know where to post this but I've gotten an offer to buy a 55" Philips Ambilight 55PUS6501 at a good discount.
6990 sek instead of 9990 sek. That's about 757 USD.
I wonder if its a good fit for a PS4 Pro or gaming in general?
It's a 4K TV with HDR+ but I am not sure about the response time and lag.

I have a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46EX500 that I bought in 2011.
Somebody know if there is a difference in quality?

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/55PUS6...-ambilight-2-sided-and-pixel-precise-ultra-hd

http://www.elgiganten.se/product/ljud-bild/tv/55PUS6501/philips-55-4k-uhd-smart-tv-55pus6501

Any better thread that I should ask in as well?

Might be worth asking in here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1209876&page=1

k9n5SZW.jpg

Is this okay in terms of room for the PS4 Pro?

That's a little too close on all sides in my opinion, but just keep an eye on how warm it gets it will most likely be fine.

That's OK for a Gamecube

I don't think it's ok, especially there is no space behind you console to "breathe", it'll get warmer faster, so the fan will become loud faster too and it's just bad for your console.

Back is probably sufficient, being that the exhausted air has escape routes. I'd be more concerned about the sides; the inlets are quite enclosed.

Okay will move it over. Thanks guys.

Now has a little over 3 inches on either side. Fine now?

Kalentan

yikes those textures are making my eyes cry.

couldn't Bethesda or whoever ported it do some extra work? sheesh

I mean the game overall looks a lot better and at 4K native it quite the looker but yeah, there are still remnants of the original in there. They didn't overhaul everything.

That horse isn't supposed to be there tho. xD

F311

I don't own a PS4 but I'm going to get one tomorrow and I don't own a 4K tv. Is it worth getting a pro or just get a slim?

Humdinger

Why?

I have £350 and my choice is a slim for 200 and then spend the £150 on games or just a straight pro with 1 game
Pro is a lot more bang for the buck. For an extra $100 or $150, you're getting a much more powerful console that will give you better-looking games than a standard PS4 over the next 3 or 4 years. Lots of other extras as well (bigger HD, etc.)

YMMV based on how much $100-150 means to you, how much image quality means to you, and how much you play your PS4 -- but in most cases, the Pro is a better deal than the Slim.

Kinan

Why?

I have £350 and my choice is a slim for 200 and then spend the £150 on games or just a straight pro with 1 game

Even if you are oblivious to the graphical upgrades, the optical out, third backside USB slot(finally that headset dongle out of the view!) and significantly snappier interface should be worth at least some of those pounds.

F311

Pro is a lot more bang for the buck. For an extra $100 or $150, you're getting a much more powerful console that will give you better-looking games than a standard PS4 over the next 3 or 4 years. Lots of other extras as well (bigger HD, etc.)

YMMV based on how much $100-150 means to you, how much image quality means to you, and how much you play your PS4 -- but in most cases, the Pro is a better deal than the Slim.

From what I've read though allot of it is lost by not having a 4Ktv?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Why?

Really depends on how vital a bit of extra horsepower is to you. Would you prefer to sacrifice a couple extra games for the potential of future releases running and looking slightly better? Do you plan to eventually upgrade your TV in the next few years? Will you be buying games digitally mostly?

If yes to any of the above, the Pro may be more worthwhile. Otherwise, the Slim will be just fine.

The Pro is more forward-thinking as new releases will eventually take greater advantage of the added power, but right now only a small handful of titles actually have any noticeable gains especially for a 1080 owner. You don't sound particularly anal about this stuff, so you may actually be just as content with a Slim and a few more games afterall. Realistically speaking, any recent games look and perform just fine on the PS4 slim, which may be just enough for your needs. (I have a 4K TV and honestly some games look fantastic and improved, others look identical. I doubt I could guess which console is hooked up to a 1080 set at gunpoint and survive in most cases)

gdt

So now I've got 2 PS4s. A pro which will be my main and my regular PS4 that will be at my gfs place so I can play when I'm there weekends. Which should I make my primary?

I read someone say make the less used one the primary....any reason for that?

Humdinger

From what I've read though allot of it is lost by not having a 4Ktv?

True. I forgot to mention that as one of the variables -- whether you own a 4K/HDR set or not. However, most 1080p owners here will tell you that the upgrade is worth it, even at 1080p (check the multiple threads on that topic for confirmation). I'm a 1080p owner and I've found it easily worth the upgrade (and I paid twice as much, since I already owned a PS4).

The only reason I can see getting a Slim rather than Pro is because you're strapped for cash, and the $100-150 price difference is a big deal to you. To me, it's not, so I have no doubts about it being worthwhile. I know some people are pretty tight on cash, though. For them, the Slim may make sense.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So now I've got 2 PS4s. A pro which will be my main and my regular PS4 that will be at my gfs place so I can play when I'm there weekends. Which should I make my primary?

I read someone say make the less used one the primary....any reason for that?

Presumably because your most used one will be used where you can almost guarantee a connection. Whereas the other you may be taking out and about and need to be able your library offline?

F311

Really depends on how vital a bit of extra horsepower is to you. Would you prefer to sacrifice a couple extra games for the potential of future releases running and looking slightly better? Do you plan to eventually upgrade your TV in the next few years? Will you be buying games digitally mostly?

If yes to any of the above, the Pro may be more worthwhile. Otherwise, the Slim will be just fine.

The Pro is more forward-thinking as new releases will eventually take greater advantage of the added power, but right now only a small handful of titles actually have any noticeable gains especially for a 1080 owner. You don't sound particularly anal about this stuff, so you may actually be just as content with a Slim and a few more games afterall. Realistically speaking, any recent games looks and performs just fine on the PS4 slim, which may be just enough for your needs. (I have a 4K TV and honestly some games look fantastic and improved, others look identical. I doubt I could do a litmus test at gunpoint and survive)

Well I've had a PS4 in the past but it broke. I mostly game on pc where I use a 1089 but I've just started a new job where I don't get much time so I've decided to get a console as it just seems more accessible to me.

So obviously with that info you can gather I like my frames! I don't think I'll be buying a 4K to for a while but obviously I'd prefer games to look better, are games getting enhanced graphics not just resolution? Will I actually think wow that looks better?

F311

True. I forgot to mention that as one of the variables -- whether you own a 4K/HDR set or not. However, most 1080p owners here will tell you that the upgrade is worth it, even at 1080p (check the multiple threads on that topic for confirmation). I'm a 1080p owner and I've found it easily worth the upgrade (and I paid twice as much, since I already owned a PS4).

The only reason I can see getting a Slim rather than Pro is because you're strapped for cash, and the $100-150 price difference is a big deal to you. To me, it's not, so I have no doubts about it being worthwhile. I know some people are pretty tight on cash, though. For them, the Slim may make sense.

The price isn't an issue in the slightest I just wondered if I'd actually see a difference at 1080p to make it worth it

Humdinger

The price isn't an issue in the slightest I just wondered if I'd actually see a difference at 1080p to make it worth it

Oh, well then, the Pro is the better choice, even at 1080p -- assuming you have a good TV, sit at the right distance, and are sensitive to image quality. You can find commentary on 1080p differences for games like CoD, Ratchet and Clank, FFXV, Hitman, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Skyrim, Uncharted 4, Battlefield 1, TLoU, and other games in this thread and other similar threads. If I were to sum it up, I'd say significant differences are present in all those games at 1080p, and in some cases the differences are striking. Supersampling.

I should add, though, that a significant minority of people report that they can't see the differences, or that the difference don't seem significant to them. This puzzles me, because I can see the differences and they seem obvious to me, but I take them at their word -- they simply can't perceive the differences; or else, they see them, but they don't consider them important. There's the possibility that you are one of those people, and you won't perceive the differences or consider them significant.

I'll tell you where I'm coming from. I enjoy the PS4 and its catalog. I don't want to go the next 3 or 4 years knowing the games I'm playing aren't looking the best they can. I want to have the best version of the console possible. Paying a little extra for that is easily worth it to me. If I got a Slim, I'd spend the next 3 or 4 years thinking I was playing inferior-looking versions of games, and that would bug me.

Humdinger

Will I actually think wow that looks better?

I'm betting you would say, "That looks better," but without the "wow." It is a subtle difference, not anything that leaps off the screen; it's not a generational type difference. It is a modest upgrade. I know you can't really quantify things like this, but if I were to do it anyhow, I'd say that the images are about 10% better (at 1080p). It's something you can see, but it's not something that will make you go "wow." More like "hmm."

5taquitos

I'm betting you would say, "That looks better," but without the "wow." It is a subtle difference, not anything that leaps off the screen; it's not a generational type difference. It is a modest upgrade. I know you can't really quantify things like this, but if I were to do it anyhow, I'd say that the images are about 10% better (at 1080p). It's something you can see, but it's not something that will make you go "wow." More like "hmm."

I dunno, I'm pretty sure I said "wow" or something similar after I booted up Ratchet for the first time on the Pro.

Ecto311

Get the pro. You can't play 3 games at once anyway.

This is what I did and got a few games on the best buy sale. I hear until dawn and tearaway are good and they were $10 each.

Any specific things to know about the PS4 Pro or links for new owners and first time PS4 players? I did the RGB full thing and made the colors deeper on my samsung 1080p screen.

Mainly I got it for the PSVR - some of the videos out there show complete models changed in the Pro vs regular VR games. Plus I hope this and the scorpio are the last consoles to get for a while.

dyergram

This is what I did and got a few games on the best buy sale. I hear until dawn and tearaway are good and they were $10 each.

Any specific things to know about the PS4 Pro or links for new owners and first time PS4 players? I did the RGB full thing and made the colors deeper on my samsung 1080p screen.

Mainly I got it for the PSVR - some of the videos out there show complete models changed in the Pro vs regular VR games. Plus I hope this and the scorpio are the last consoles to get for a while.
Haven't played those games specifically also neither are pro upgraded however both are held in high regard. Get ps+ if you haven't already (free stuff) and titanfall 2 because it's rad/proey.

KevinG

I'm running into an issue in system transfer where it looks like my old PS4 has turned off and my Pro is stuck at 90% in preparing to transfer.

No idea what to do.

Top Bottom