• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

The Last of Us was updated recently. The new patch has an improved 60fps mode which now includes high quality shadows.
I need to play this game, I suppose...

By the time it originally came out I was pretty much done with my PS3. I couldn't deal with the graphical disparity between it and my PC.

The Last of Us was updated recently. The new patch has an improved 60fps mode which now includes high quality shadows.

Yes they lowered resolution slightly so now game runs at much better framerate, locked 60fps from what I tested, BUT, because they forced high quality shadows in both 60 and 30fps modes there is no longer any means to play the game on Pro without visual glitches in the shadows.

I showed how high quality shadows are bugged in this post here

I can't believe they still haven't fixed that issue with the new patch, where is Naughty Dog's attention to detail?

legbone

all right folks. i'm about to pull the trigger on a pro. which of these hard drives would you recommend for a 2tb upgrade? The first one is the Seagate Barracuda. The second one is the Seagate Backup Plus. Keep in mind the price difference really isn't a factor. Also, feel free to suggest something better if you want. Keep in mind the max I am willing to spend is 125 or even 150 if it's something really special.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX13P71/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Macaco84

Yes they lowered resolution slightly so now game runs at much better framerate, locked 60fps from what I tested, BUT, because they forced high quality shadows in both 60 and 30fps modes there is no longer any means to play the game on Pro without visual glitches in the shadows.

I showed how high quality shadows are bugged in this post here

I can't believe they still haven't fixed that issue with the new patch, where is Naughty Dog's attention to detail?

A shame they missed the shadows but at least they sorted the framerate. I'm getting a pro soon and was really annoyed they still couldn't lock a PS3 game to 60fps on a new 2016 machine. If they have lowered the res, for me that's a reasonable sacrifice as I assume they don't have the time or budget to optimise it.

all right folks. i'm about to pull the trigger on a pro. which of these hard drives would you recommend for a 2tb upgrade? The first one is the Seagate Barracuda. The second one is the Seagate Backup Plus. Keep in mind the price difference really isn't a factor. Also, feel free to suggest something better if you want. Keep in mind the max I am willing to spend is 125 or even 150 if it's something really special.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX13P71/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Get a 90 dollar Seagate regular one and keep the extra 25 to 50 bucks in your pockets

Lady Gaia

Oddly enough, without a ground prong.

It's not that odd. There are no analog connections on the device that would benefit from being grounded, so the reason for using the different connector is solely to ensure that connected power cords are built with a sufficient gauge to ensure that peak and sustained current draw are within safety standards.

legbone

Isn't the SSHD a hybrid?

yeah, i think they misread. SSHD is hybrid. SSD is solid state. my understanding is hybrid is a good way to go with the pro. for me the minimal performance gains weren't worth the sacrifice in storage size. i.e. i can't find a 2.5 inch 2tb sshd. they all seem to be 3.5 inch. now 1tb, they are available.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's not that odd. There are no analog connections on the device that would benefit from being grounded, so the reason for using the different connector is solely to ensure that connected power cords are built with a sufficient gauge to ensure that peak and sustain current draw are within safety standards.

I see. That said, I have never seen a plug with that shape and not have the third prong.

yeah, i think they misread. SSHD is hybrid. SSD is solid state. my understanding is hybrid is a good way to go with the pro. for me the minimal performance gains weren't worth the sacrifice in storage size. i.e. i can't find a 2.5 inch 2tb sshd. they all seem to be 3.5 inch. now 1tb, they are available.

Indeed. There is only one 2TB 2.5in SSHD on the market right now, so it's hard to find. But SSHD in general does offer significant improvements.

Shin-Ra

http://community.us.playstation.com...08-and-Left-Behind-1-02-Updates/td-p/46064531
ND-ScottLowe said:
In an update to The Last of Us Remastered today, we introduced bug fixes and optimizations that will ensure a consistent and high level of performance on the PS4 Pro. Now, when running The Last of Us Remastered on the PS4 Pro on a standard high-definition display, the game will run natively at 1080p and offer high-quality shadows when running at its high-framerate mode.
I just loaded up the outside of the Capitol Building which wasn't performing great in the 60fps mode before and that's looking good now, same shadow quality outputting 2160p.

I was getting really long load times which are much shorter now too.

gkeller16

Neo Member
I am having a issue with the Pro I never had before. I cannot upload anything to YouTube. I have tried deleting the info and signing in, clearing it from the Google site,cleared all notifications,nothing works. I really wish it uploaded to the network like Xbox and can view within the PS app.

Mossybrew

I am having a issue with the Pro I never had before. I cannot upload anything to YouTube. I have tried deleting the info and signing in, clearing it from the Google site,cleared all notifications,nothing works. I really wish it uploaded to the network like Xbox and can view within the PS app.

Same here, gives me an error code every time. I tried googling the code but couldn't find any solution that worked.

RedAssedApe

Banned

i have this issue but only with Modern Warfare Remastered. My other share button uploads seem to work fine :\

legbone

I see. That said, I have never seen a plug with that shape and not have the third prong.

Indeed. There is only one 2TB 2.5in SSHD on the market right now, so it's hard to find. But SSHD in general does offer significant improvements.

can you link me to it? i have scoured the internet (ok i googled and looked at front page).

edit: nevermind, i think i found it. is it the seagate firecuda?

yep, it is. and bought! 120.99 from newegg.

Jacob4815

60fps mode was always native 1080p only iirc. 30fps should still have it

60 fps mode is 1800p on PRO. Now it's 1080p native and supersampling is removed, only for 1080p users.

But I don't know if supersampling is still present in the 30 fps mode.

Now, when running The Last of Us Remastered on the PS4 Pro on a standard high-definition display, the game will run natively at 1080p and offer high-quality shadows when running at its high-framerate mode.

legbone

quick question, once the drive gets here can I just throw it in the pro before i ever hook the pro up. or do i need to start in safe mode and install the firmware? thanks in advance to whoever answers.

edit: clarification. i have the pro now, it will be in it's box until my tv gets here next friday. the drive will get here first. so it will be a virgin pro (is this an oxymoron of sorts?), so to speak.

j-wood

How does the PS4 pro handle remote play on games that you have HDR turned on on?

For example, on my 4K tv, I obviously have FFXV set to the high resolution mode and HDR turned on.

Will it work if I try to play some on remote play to my laptop? Does it just send a 1080p image with no HDR to the remote play device? When I move back to the TV everything should still be fine resolution and HDR wise right?

60fps mode was always native 1080p only iirc. 30fps should still have it
Nope. It was 1800p for 1080p with unlocked frame rate. 30 fps mode got higher quality shadows.

Now its 1080p wih higher quality shadows for both unlocked and 30 fps mode. There is no 1800p for either.

Not a good patch. 1800p unlocked framerate was still 50-60 depending on action going and what not. It was jaggie free. Was so crisp.

holygeesus

Banned
quick question, once the drive gets here can I just throw it in the pro before i ever hook the pro up. or do i need to start in safe mode and install the firmware? thanks in advance to whoever answers.

edit: clarification. i have the pro now, it will be in it's box until my tv gets here next friday. the drive will get here first. so it will be a virgin pro (is this an oxymoron of sorts?), so to speak.

You will need a USB stick with the system software on it, but it will just start in safe mode anyway, if you start it up with an empty drive installed.

legbone

You will need a USB stick with the system software on it, but it will just start in safe mode anyway, if you start it up with an empty drive installed.

cool, thanks. i'll throw it in then start it up. one less step. can't wait until my drive gets here.

edit: think i'll go ahead and hook it up to my current tv (1080p) when the drive gets here. i want to get everything transferred onto it before the new boob tube gets here. would hate to have to wait for an overnight transfer of data before i could see what's up with 4k hdr gaming.

Salaadin

This has probably been asked a billion times so I apologize. I want to trade in my current launch PS4 and get a Pro. I'm not a PS Plus member atm but I put my saves in the cloud before my membership expired. I want to transfer my data over as easily as possible.

I can just use an external drive, backup my current PS4 to it, trade it, buy the Pro, and then update the firmware and restore the old ps4 data onto the new pro? Is it that simple? Anything else I should know?

M_to_P

My pro overheated yesterday. Got it out of the space it was ij and placed it in a more open space. Screen got black too. Placing the pro on it's side seems to do the trick.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the standard length of HDMI cable in the age to go direct to the TV as my receiver isn't 4K-friendly, so I think I'll need a longer one (2 or maybe 3 metres)

I really hope they have some impressive stuff at PSX for Pro. I'm really unimpressed with it so far. Even at $300 with the target stacking coupons I'm debating just keeping my old PS4.

FF 15 at 1080p/60 would change my mind though.

lool, I do have more money in my account XD
I meant I have a spare £350 to spend right now.

Edit: I have two PS4. One is launch console and the other one is slim.
I am thinking of trading the OG console for the pro, and buy watch dogs and Titanfall 2 with it.
However, I really cant deiced if the upgrade to the pro is worth it with a 1080p TV

Top Bottom