• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Well, that was weird.

I set up the Pro with a 2TB drive, installed the firmware, and transferred from my original PS4 - nine hours, yowza - and when it finally finished, everything looked fine on the main screen. Menus worked, etc.

But everything I ran took forever to launch. The first thing I ran was P.T. You know, just to make sure it still worked. It sat on the splash screen for about 2 minutes, then had a black screen for even longer, and finally I killed it. I ran a few more things with similar results - long splash screens, long waits to launch, but they did at least run.

Then I launch the RE7 demo and the Pro just shut off. When I started it again, it wanted the DS4 connected by wire again, and it wanted the firmware again. I'm thinking "Nine more hours!?" at this point, but I gave it the USB stick. It looked like it was starting the whole process over, doing the System Software installation.

But when it was done a bit later, it booted and everything was fine. Everything works at normal speed. I do mean "normal" speed, though; on a side-by-side comparison, everything is almost exactly the same as my original PS4 - within a half second at most. I loaded up Bloodborne and warped around, and the times are the same.

But the Pro has a Firecuda in it. Should be faster, right? I read that even the stock Pro drive was faster than a stock launch PS4 drive, which mine still has.

Anyway, at least it's working.

JP

Might be handy for some: PDP is bringing out a PS4 IR receiver for Logitech Harmony remotes in two weeks, will even let you turn the PS4 on and off this way - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K3VMBM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My TV doesn't do CEC, I already have a Harmony and no interest in PDP's PS4 remote so this is real sweet.
It'll be interesting to see how well this works. After buying a PDP PS4 remote when they first launched and have it break within a month, I have no confidence in PDP at all.

I'd happily get one if it's good enough though.

Lady Gaia

Has anyone installed 4TB hard drive on their Pro? I'm thinking of buying a more sizeable hard drive, but from what I was able to find that support for a 4TB HDD is a bit iffy (a site mentioned unreliability in Rest Mode). Is anything over 2TB a hassle, or are they stable as anything else?

Barring a real expensive SSD option, no 4TB drives will physically fit in the drive bay which has a 9.5mm height limitation.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
About to transfer to my Pro... a few questions:

I have a 5200rpm 1.5 gig drive that I bought about 4 years ago that I used in a PS4. Is the 1 gig stock drive in the pro potentially faster than this drive?

Does it take longer to install a game from disc or to transfer it over the LAN cable transfer system? Trying to figure out what to erase off the drive to make the process shorter.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I have a 5200rpm 1.5 gig drive that I bought about 4 years ago that I used in a PS4. Is the 1 gig stock drive in the pro potentially faster than this drive?

Does it take longer to install a game from disc or to transfer it over the LAN cable transfer system? Trying to figure out what to erase off the drive to make the process shorter.

I think install from disc would be better, except if you have to re-download a lot of patches for a game, which can delay it.

As to the 1.5TB drive, is a HDD or SSHD?

Should be the same.

Gumbie

It's annoying we haven't heard any firm dates or info on when the Netflix or Amazon Video app are going to be updated to support 4k streaming. All Sony has said when advertising the Pro is "4K 4K OMG IT CAN DO 4K!" and then after you buy it you realize it doesn't even have a way to stream 4k video yet.

Krakatoa

It's annoying we haven't heard any firm dates or info on when the Netflix or Amazon Video app are going to be updated to support 4k streaming. All Sony has said when advertising the Pro is "4K 4K OMG IT CAN DO 4K!" and then after you buy it you realize it doesn't even have a way to stream 4k video yet.

WTF, I thought that would have been day one.

Macaco84

Played for about 45 minutes this morning and saw no stuttering... I was at the beginning of winter. I'll try it a little more but I'm pretty sure it's fixed now.

Any further update? If they have patched it to maintain a steady 60 that would be brilliant.

Lady Gaia

WTF, I thought that would have been day one.

As far as I can tell NetFlix 4K streaming works fine, it's HDR streaming that doesn't appear to be supported just yet. What leads you to believe you can't stream 4K? Have you signed onto a NetFlix tier that supports UHD media?

III-V

As far as I can tell NetFlix 4K streaming works fine, it's HDR streaming that doesn't appear to be supported just yet. What leads you to believe you can't stream 4K? Have you signed onto a NetFlix tier that supports UHD media?

Yes, it is supported, but realize that 4K is no longer in the Netflix 'cheap' pricing brackets, you have to pay the highest rate to have access to 4K streams.

Gumbie

I pay for the 4k tier but none of the 4k content ever goes past 1080p when I stream it on the pro. Mean while I can load up the netflix app on my Samsung KS8500 and 4k works just fine.

zewone

Been enjoying 4K and HDR on my Vizio M50-D1 since Pro launched.

After playing FFXV and switching to HDR my screen to a garbled mess. I was able to fix it by power cycling my TV. I think it was a handshake issue.

Now today I boot up my Pro and the bottom half of my screen is a garbled mess. Changing 4K modes didn't help.

Once I switched to 1080p in the settings the screen is fine.

I don't think it's a video card issue so I don't think going through the trouble of exchanging my Pro is worth it.

Any thoughts?

The Flop

Banned
The general public doesn't get the pro. But they are buying the s. I say this based off of a few co workers who were buying the new Xbox and thought the pro was just a new version with a game. o_O

III-V

Been enjoying 4K and HDR on my Vizio M50-D1 since Pro launched.

After playing FFXV and switching to HDR my screen to a garbled mess. I was able to fix it by power cycling my TV. I think it was a handshake issue.

Now today I boot up my Pro and the bottom half of my screen is a garbled mess. Changing 4K modes didn't help.

Once I switched to 1080p in the settings the screen is fine.

I don't think it's a video card issue so I don't think going through the trouble of exchanging my Pro is worth it.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like handshake issue. Other Pro owners have noticed certain oddities that can change depending on boot order.

I would suggest recalling which order works for you, if you need Pro first, then power cycle TV, then do that.

If that doesn't work what video settings are you using on the Pro?

The general public doesn't get the pro. But they are buying the s. I say this based off of a few co workers who were buying the new Xbox and thought the pro was just a new version with a game. o_O

wth?

zewone

Sounds like handshake issue. Other Pro owners have noticed certain oddities that can change depending on boot order.

I would suggest recalling which order works for you, if you need Pro first, then power cycle TV, then do that.

If that doesn't work what video settings are you using on the Pro?

wth?

Dude, you're awesome.

Typically turn my Pro on then TV. Today I did it in the opposite order.

Did it in the normal order and worked great.

I hope issues like this are straightened out.

Again, much appreciated.

noomi

Came here to ask exactly this. Noticed that 4K was working for netflix and youtube (haven't checked amazon), but HDR did not kick in in either app.

Guess I'll have to keep using my TV apps for now (but the built in TV wifi is aweful)

Has Square Enix care to comment at all about WoFF and FFXV's shortcomings with the pro versions ?

They did comment on WoFF and said patch is in the works. They didn't give any time frame so it could be a month or a year from now.

They didn't comment about FFXV frame pacing at all.

superjona

Has anyone installed 4TB hard drive on their Pro? I'm thinking of buying a more sizeable hard drive, but from what I was able to find that support for a 4TB HDD is a bit iffy (a site mentioned unreliability in Rest Mode). Is anything over 2TB a hassle, or are they stable as anything else?

I installed a 4TB via eSATA and an external StarTech 3,5 inch enclosure. It's pain to fit the cable inside the Pro, but it works just as good as an internal drive. No issues with Rest Mode at all and the enclosure nicely shuts off and turns on with the console.

Tinúviel

I'm fucking tired of this inconsistent download speeds of PSN is it too hard to make a proper server,download manager whatever the hell Steam or Origin does better.They are making PS4 Pro they are charging 60$ per year and this is what you get and they are doing NOTHING to improve.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pro finally came in last night. It feels much heavier than the PS4 and I like the light bar on the front and the silver logo.

That said, have not yet played any games, but I noticed something funny, during setup, the image asking you to plug in a controller is still of a regular PS4, but the "congratulations you are done" one is a Pro.

My brother in law needs a longer HDMI cable to go from the TV to the PS4.
Obviously it needs to be the spec for the PS4 Pro and needs to be about 6ft.

Has anyone got any suggestions? UK as well.

Just got my Pro last week and have been fiddling around with it. I'm kinda unimpressed with the differences. I was under the impression that there some significant differences that were noticeable on a 1080p TV but honestly, unless its side by side, its hard to notice.

Are there any settings I could be fiddling with on the TV (Sony HX820) or on the PS4 Pro to get the most out of it?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there somewhere that keeps an up to the minute list of games that support the Pro?

All the lists I can find are incomplete.

Dude, you're awesome.

Typically turn my Pro on then TV. Today I did it in the opposite order.

Did it in the normal order and worked great.

I hope issues like this are straightened out.

Again, much appreciated.

I can't help at all (yet) but I ordered this tv Tuesday because of a really good deal at Dell and expect it to be delivered by Wednesday. Glad you have been enjoying the performance and figured out the issue.

Krakatoa

Thanks, for the tip my Netflix plan was for only HD. I've switched the new UHD plan so going forward I should see 4 k content.

Originally I thought you only needed the higher tier for HDR.

Waveset

Download speeds on the Pro are about 10x faster. Would get 10Mb with the OG and the Pro is testing at about 100Mb. Same wired connection as before.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone put some feet on their pro to raise it a bit and provide better cooling? If so, which ones did you use?

Felt or rubber furniture pads as they also absorb vibration. Anything "special" for PS4 will likely be overpriced. Someone else also suggested removing the top cover and laying it on top unlatched to give the fan room to breathe.

Hope pro doesn't turn out as atari520ste, whose advanced sepcs wasn't used much, for those old enough to remember. Anyway, will get one, come christmas, come !

The PS4 Pro is a nice looking console. Everyone bashes it for looking like a panini but it's really sleek IMO. The OG PS4 also a really cool sleek design.

Mine is really quiet too... so far heh

4K netflix looks stunning (watching this nature doc called Tales By Light). If they get that service that lets you stream 4K HDR movies I think I'd be pretty happy, would at least keep me from buying a Ultra Blu Ray player for awhile.

RavenHawk

So has there been any truth to the ps4 pro lottery on quiet systems
Unfortunately yes. My replacement one is multitudes quieter (thankfully), but is does have a slight whine to it, which is really only noticeable within 4-5 feet from it.

The PS4 Pro is a nice looking console. Everyone bashes it for looking like a panini but it's really sleek IMO. The OG PS4 also a really cool sleek design.

Mine is really quiet too... so far heh

4K netflix looks stunning (watching this nature doc called Tales By Light). If they get that service that lets you stream 4K HDR movies I think I'd be pretty happy, would at least keep me from buying a Ultra Blu Ray player for awhile.
Obviously looks are subjective, but I think it is one of the ugliest consoles I have ever owned. Of course I liked the looks of the Dreamcast and super slim PS3, so what do I know?

Top Bottom