• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

lool, I do have more money in my account XD
I meant I have a spare £350 to spend right now.

Edit: I have two PS4. One is launch console and the other one is slim.
I am thinking of trading the OG console for the pro, and buy watch dogs and Titanfall 2 with it.
However, I really cant deiced if the upgrade to the pro is worth it with a 1080p TV

In that case, it's really up to you...

III-V

lool, I do have more money in my account XD
I meant I have a spare £350 to spend right now.

Edit: I have two PS4. One is launch console and the other one is slim.
I am thinking of trading the OG console for the pro, and buy watch dogs and Titanfall 2 with it.
However, I really cant deiced if the upgrade to the pro is worth it with a 1080p TV

Its a bump at 1080p for sure, but it really is something special in 4K and HDR.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Got my Pro today after trading in my launch PS4. Was going to get a 2tb drive for my launch console but decided I'd put the money towards a Pro and just upgrade the hdd in the New Year when I need space again.

Have only tried Deus Ex so far at 4K, think I only have one other game that supports the Pro (Uncharted 4) and Titanfall 2 sitting under the tree. Unimpressed with HDR but that's probably my telly settings. Will most likely just turn it off as I'm having trouble finding recommended settings for my Sony KD55X8500C.

New pad feels a little nicer although that's probably just cos it's new and I love the little line visible through the touchpad.

Jacob4815

I'm a worried 1080p user.

They removed supersampling from The Last of Us. Dishonored 2 too has this issue.
First screens of The Last Guardian don't look downsampled in a 1080p TV.

Are these patch glitched or are these deliberate choices of the developers?
I don't want this to became a trend.

They removed supersampling from The Last of Us. Dishonored 2 too has this issue.
First screens of The Last Guardian don't look downsampled in a 1080p TV.

Are these patch glitched or are these deliberate choices of the developers?
I don't want this to became a trend.

When there is no supersampling on a Pro enabled game it's deliberate.

Humdinger

GAF... I have my £350 in my bank account right now !!!
Do I buy it or not ??

Note: for a 1080p LG TV.

If I get 5 yes in a row, ill buy it

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

j/k, no. Like the guy said earlier, if you've only got $350 in your account, save it for something more critical. The Pro is more of a luxury purchase. It's a good purchase, even at 1080p, but I wouldn't do it if money was tight.

[edit: just read the above, where you clarify you've got more than that. Well, anyhow, sounds like you've made up your mind.]

barit

Has anyone the same problem with Doom (disc) as me? PS4 Pro can't start games or switch into standby mode when I've played Doom. It seems only this particular game because BF1 (disc) had no problems so far (and any other digital game). Always need to restart the damn thing first with the two beeps (aka something is not working) before I can play anything else or go in rest mode. On top of that I can't even send a bug report to Sony about this because they don't give me the opportunity to do so (like when a game just crashes). Really frustrating

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So far it seems like the Pro load times are faster than the stock PS4, even with the drive it ships with.

Fast travel in The Witcher is the most noticeable, seems almost twice as fast. Loading a save in Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex feels like it's 25-50 percent faster. I haven't tried FFXV to see if there is a difference.

Could it be that my old PS4 drive was fragmented? Does the PS4 defragment drives?

Also, I might be crazy, but the frame rate in The Witcher seems a lot more stable as well.

geordiemp

COD Bo3 on Pro in multiplayer is not so good now, too many frame rate dips.

For PVP multiplayer, for the love of god it should be 1080p native and go for best frame rate, I dont know if its super sampling but it just seems worse.

Pro and Treyarc has ruined this Bo3 game for me.

Please give us damn options in games.

Also teh stable 60 FPS in TLOU is a good thing IMO, and yes I have a 4K set

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also, I might be crazy, but the frame rate in The Witcher seems a lot more stable as well.

I only tested briefly when I got my Pro, but I could have sworn as well that performance felt a smidge improved and less hitchy. Load times certainly felt a bit slimmer too. It could be placebo effect though as I no longer have my OG PS4 to directly compare.

legbone

This has probably been asked a billion times so I apologize. I want to trade in my current launch PS4 and get a Pro. I'm not a PS Plus member atm but I put my saves in the cloud before my membership expired. I want to transfer my data over as easily as possible.

I can just use an external drive, backup my current PS4 to it, trade it, buy the Pro, and then update the firmware and restore the old ps4 data onto the new pro? Is it that simple? Anything else I should know?

yeah, sounds like that would work. basically the same thing i did when i went from 500 to 2tb on my og (barring the trading part). the old drive wasn't needed once i put it on my external. you should be good to go. someone please correct me if i'm leading this poster astray.

legbone

I have a Pro and a 4K TV so am happy, but if I had a PS4 already, as the previous poster does, I couldn't justify the upgrade for a 1080p set *shrug*

Just my opinion.

i couldn't do it for 1080p either. the only reason i bought a pro is because i upgraded my tv on black friday. there was no way i was buying one for my old 1080p set (which is a nice one). just not enough benefits. i would wait until i have a 4k tv at minimum and a 4k that does hdr ideally.

Salaadin

yeah, sounds like that would work. basically the same thing i did when i went from 500 to 2tb on my og (barring the trading part). the old drive wasn't needed once i put it on my external. you should be good to go. someone please correct me if i'm leading this poster astray.
It's too late, lol. I got one.
Backup/Restore method appears to be working. It's slow but it's working.

mileS

Quite a few people with 4k sets are saying its not worth it if you are still on a 1080p set. Whats the point of commenting if you don't even know what it's like on 1080p. The benefits are clear. As time goes on and devs are forced to support it, the benefits are only going to get better.

Lady Gaia

They removed supersampling from The Last of Us.

You still have the option of the 4K mode which results in supersampling for 1080p output. The high frame rate mode has been changed to keep the emphasis on stable frame rate, which is what most people who prefer 60fps over graphical fidelity seem to want.

As for Dishonored 2? I haven't done any pixel counting, but it's really clean on a 4K display so I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Trust that the developers know what they're doing and don't try to second guess their decisions.

mileS

Maybe they are talking about Dishonored 2 on a 1080p set. Didnt DF mention it does nothing for 1080p? The only way around it was some backwards ass shit of starting the game on a 4k tv and switching it over to 1080p. I am butchering this but it's been a long week lol. I should honestly just watch the video again. Basically from what I remember, if you don't have a tv/monitor that supports 4k, Dishonored 2 looks exactly like the base ps4 version. At most some extra AF. Which is very very disappointing

Lady Gaia

Maybe they are talking about Dishonored 2 on a 1080p set. Didnt DF mention it does nothing for 1080p? The only way around it was some backwards ass shit of starting the game on a 4k tv and switching it over to 1080p. I am butchering this but it's been a long week lol. I should honestly just watch the video again. Basically from what I remember, if you don't have a tv/monitor that supports 4k, Dishonored 2 looks exactly like the base ps4 version. At most some extra AF. Which is very very disappointing

That does ring a bell, and it sounds like a mistake that should be patched because I haven't seen any frame rate problems playing on a 4K system. Early days for a console are always the worst for these kinds of issues (titles with tiny unreadable text on SD displays were common early in gen 7, for example, but that got straightened out.)

Deku Tree

If I turn my Samsung JU7500 on before my Pro then it says "signal not accepted" on the screen.

But if I turn on my Pro first and wait a few seconds and then turn my TV on it shows a 4K signal.

Anyone know why that happens?

legbone

If I turn my Samsung JU7500 on before my Pro then it says "signal not accepted" on the screen.

But if I turn on my Pro first and wait a few seconds and then turn my TV on it shows a 4K signal.

Anyone know why that happens?

sounds like an hdmi handshake issue. not sure what to tell you. they can be a real pain in the ass. i had one with my old sony tube hd tv. would have to do it just right or i'd get jack shit or a scrambled mess. good luck (i'm not being mean, i really mean it).

edit: might try a different hdmi port, or even a different cable (make sure you have a good high speed hdmi cable).

holygeesus

Banned
Quite a few people with 4k sets are saying its not worth it if you are still on a 1080p set. Whats the point of commenting if you don't even know what it's like on 1080p. The benefits are clear. As time goes on and devs are forced to support it, the benefits are only going to get better.

Because, believe it or not, some people with 4K sets have seen Pro PS4s running on 1080p sets too. It's not that confusing.

Deku Tree

sounds like an hdmi handshake issue. not sure what to tell you. they can be a real pain in the ass. i had one with my old sony tube hd tv. would have to do it just right or i'd get jack shit or a scrambled mess. good luck (i'm not being mean, i really mean it).

edit: might try a different hdmi port, or even a different cable (make sure you have a good high speed hdmi cable).

I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Pro. I can initially try another port on my one connect box.

Good work whoever designed the console.

5pBx36n.jpg

Finally set mine up last night. Well, a friend did because I get so nervous when I touch things like that.

Really liking it, though I haven't had a chance to play any games yet. I'm still on 1080p in terms of TV, but will upgrade sometime soon. I don't feel rushed right now.

The controller feels great.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally set mine up last night. Well, a friend did because I get so nervous when I touch things like that.

Really liking it, though I haven't had a chance to play any games yet. I'm still on 1080p in terms of TV, but will upgrade sometime soon. I don't feel rushed right now.

The controller feels great.

What do you like about it if you haven't played a game on it?

How much better does the Pro look vs a standard PS4 game with HDR on a 4K set? I'm still on the fence as to whether to upgrade or not. I'm half tempted to just wait and make Scorpio my 4K console of choice.

mileS

Because, believe it or not, some people with 4K sets have seen Pro PS4s running on 1080p sets too. It's not that confusing.

Most of the posts I'm referring to are people basically saying "well I only have the 4k set and I don't think it would be worth it for 1080p, because you know, I'm just assuming." Not much need to question this because there's been far too many of these posts. Plenty from people that don't even have the system as well.

MAX PAYMENT

It IS possible for the benefits to not be worth the cost to some people.

Humdinger

Yeah, like I've said several times, "whether it's worth it" is not a yes/no answer but a "depends" answer. Depends on your TV, your extra income, your sensitivity to image quality, how important that it to you, how much you like PS, etc, etc.

Worth it to me, but whether it's worth it to someone else depends. People ask for yes/no answers, "is it worth it?" as if it's that's just a yes/no situation. It's not. It depends.

holygeesus

Banned
Most of the posts I'm referring to are people basically saying "well I only have the 4k set and I don't think it would be worth it for 1080p, because you know, I'm just assuming." Not much need to question this because there's been far too many of these posts. Plenty from people that don't even have the system as well.

That's fair enough but you'll note I have one and love it, so if I suggest I'm not as bowled over by the improvement on 1080p sets, you have to accept that is valid opinion surely? I'm not saying there is no improvement, just not enough to justify the cost (for me)

Salaadin

Curious if anyone had any recommended tv brands/models that support 4k and hdr and are good for gaming.
I planned on upgrading in the next few months. Maybe with my tax return.

I can't go too expensive but I'm still thinking so I'll look at anything.

The Llama

Been using mine for a few days now (thank you $340 Amazon deal plus $60 in rewards points...) and loving it. But does anyone know if there's any kind of comprehensive list out there on the differences between games on the base PS4 and the Pro? Would be smart for someone to keep track of that tbh.

His name is a descriptor. For him to be ok with it's look, location, feel of the controller, etc... that's important.

I'm glad you're comfortable with it. That's important.

Thanks

I don't normally obsess over the look of a console, but it does feel good to use/feel right so to speak. The look of something doesn't change my decision to buy it, console wise.

But it's a nice system. Not as nice as the One S, but it's pretty futuristic/sleek looking and the controller is a nice upgrade.

It'd take me a day or more to download Uncharted 4 or something like that onto it, and I was exhausted after a busy day.

Top Bottom