• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Hi all, just got a PS4 Pro for Xmas and loving it so far. I've been out of touch with console gaming for the last 2 years or so (went into a tabletop binge but that's another story).

I'm currently playing through FF15 on my current TV (1080p) and it looks outstanding. However, really wishing I could take full advantage of my Pro and started looking at 4K TV's, specially the KS8000.

My question is, is it worth the $1,200 bucks to upgrade my TV to 4K? Is there a real perceptible difference when you play on a 4K screen vs just 1080p? I don't have any plans to buy into a UHD Blu-ray player and streaming Netflix is the only other scenario where I would have 4K content available so it'd be pretty much be just for the PS4 Pro.

I'll also add that my wife is cool with me buying either a 4K TV or the PSVR but both is kind of a stretch for her so it'd be either a shiny new TV or VR gaming for me. Just curious if the TV is really going to be a significant step up from my current 1080p HDR-less setup or not.

For someone that has a PS4 Pro and the KS8000 65", I'd say the difference is HUGE.

Bigger than going from 720P to 1080P IMHO. The bump in pixels is about the same and you get HDR as a huge benefit.

Ultimately every game I throw at the KS8000 looks razor sharp and the colors just pop like crazy if it supports HDR.

I am really impressed. It honestly feels like a new gen to me with the Pro + 4K HDR combo.

down 2 orth

Question: I have a 3-4 year old Panasonic Plasma TV that I intend to use with my new Pro. Are there any adjustments I should make to enhance the experience or should I just straight plug and play?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Question: I have a 3-4 year old Panasonic Plasma TV that I intend to use with my new Pro. Are there any adjustments I should make to enhance the experience or should I just straight plug and play?

settings shouldn't be any different than a regular ps4 since you're on a non-4k/non-hdr set

psychotron

Panny ST50 owner. No changes. Just enjoy the downsampling and better performance many games offer. Titanfall 2, Deus Ex and most recently FF XV have all impressed me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For someone that has a PS4 Pro and the KS8000 65", I'd say the difference is HUGE.

Bigger than going from 720P to 1080P IMHO. The bump in pixels is about the same and you get HDR as a huge benefit.

Ultimately every game I throw at the KS8000 looks razor sharp and the colors just pop like crazy if it supports HDR.

I am really impressed. It honestly feels like a new gen to me with the Pro + 4K HDR combo.

Is your setup going through a receiver for 5.1 or 7.1 sound?

Hi all, just got a PS4 Pro for Xmas and loving it so far. I've been out of touch with console gaming for the last 2 years or so (went into a tabletop binge but that's another story).

I'm currently playing through FF15 on my current TV (1080p) and it looks outstanding. However, really wishing I could take full advantage of my Pro and started looking at 4K TV's, specially the KS8000.

My question is, is it worth the $1,200 bucks to upgrade my TV to 4K? Is there a real perceptible difference when you play on a 4K screen vs just 1080p? I don't have any plans to buy into a UHD Blu-ray player and streaming Netflix is the only other scenario where I would have 4K content available so it'd be pretty much be just for the PS4 Pro.

I'll also add that my wife is cool with me buying either a 4K TV or the PSVR but both is kind of a stretch for her so it'd be either a shiny new TV or VR gaming for me. Just curious if the TV is really going to be a significant step up from my current 1080p HDR-less setup or not.

I purchased a 55" KS8000 to play my Pro games on and it is great. 4k streaming is trash though, and 1080p blu ray movies still look better (streaming HDR can be amazing.) I will get a UHD player at some point. I love playing games on this thing though. I'm also using a 5.1 sound system.

Okay, so I've got a PS4 pro and certain feet stick out more than others. The back middle O-shaped foot sticks out more than the rest and the console wobbles if I press down on the back-right side.

If I pop off the 2 O-Shaped feet, the console sits nice and flat, but why didn't they make them all stick out the same distance.

If you pop off the 2 O-Shaped feet, you'll see that the rubber pieces are exactly the same, but the hole they drilled for them is NOT the same, so this seems like a mistake in the design of the feet.

By the way, you're not going to ruin anything if you pop off the O-Shaped feet. They're not sticky on the bottom. There's actually little rubber grippers on the back of them that stick into the hole and hold them in place. However, some of the other feet (like some of the triangles and squares) are actually stuck on with adhesive.

Does anyone else's PS4 Pro not sit flat on the table? If you look under it, do some of the feet not even touch?

After thoroughly enjoying the Pro on my 1080p/non HDR tv, I took the plunge and yesterday got the 65" KS8000... and it's f'n glorious! Games looked incredible and i've only scratched the surface there, but i spent most of my time with my jaw dropped just watching various nature videos in 4K/HDR.

In the next few months Horizon and Mass Effect are going to blow my mind.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
After thoroughly enjoying the Pro on my 1080p/non HDR tv, I took the plunge and yesterday got the 65" KS8000... and it's f'n glorious! Games looked incredible and i've only scratched the surface there, but i spent most of my time with my jaw dropped just watching various nature videos in 4K/HDR.

In the next few months Horizon and Mass Effect are going to blow my mind.

What games have you played on your new TV?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, hooked up my PS4 Pro and started playing some games. I'm impressed by the size and weight of this thing -- it feels solid as hell. Was also relieved that my system isn't one of the unlucky ones that sounds like a leaf blower. Kind of stunned by how quiet the system is.

yayaba

This is probably a question for the KS8000 thread but those who got one, how does non-4K stuff look on it? e.g. Apple TV 1080p or Comcoast cable box 720p/1080i broadcasts. Is it a blurry mess or is the upscaler decent?

Tempted to get one now based on what you guys are saying but realistically, 70% of the time the TV will be used to watch regular cable TV. The other 20% will be Netflix (which they have 4K which will be great) and the other 10% playing on the PS4 Pro.

So here's the thing. I have a 2015 Vizio M70-C3. It's a 2015 4K TV, but it doesn't have HDR. I'm also using a Pioneer VSX-90.

Every so often, the screen just goes black and flickers for a second before coming back. It's clear this is an HDMI and HDCP handshaking issue. It only seems to happen with HDCP 2.2. So here's my question. What all am I missing out on by forcing HDCP 1.4 instead of using 2.2?

I just got mine yesterday and had to spend about half an hour setting it up because I have a Vizio tv, so I followed these instructions: http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/14/13625920/ps4-pro-4k-tv-black-screen

I finally got it to work, but I guess I have to wait till there's a firmware update so that I can use HDCP 2.2? I've tried all the HDMI inputs, but only the fifth one that supports 4K @ 60HZ works. I have this 2015 model (http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2015).

I've only played the Nier demo so far, but it looks sharp. I know that my tv got an HDR update, but I have no idea if it's proper HDR or not. Regardless, it doesn't acknowledge it. So I guess I have to keep using the yuv420 setting until it gets patched.

hugocésar;227715545 said:
I just got mine yesterday and had to spend about half an hour setting it up because I have a Vizio tv, so I followed these instructions: http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/14/13625920/ps4-pro-4k-tv-black-screen

I finally got it to work, but I guess I have to wait till there's a firmware update so that I can use HDCP 2.2? I've tried all the HDMI inputs, but only the fifth one that supports 4K @ 60HZ works. I have this 2015 model (http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2015).

I've only played the Nier demo so far, but it looks sharp. I know that my tv got an HDR update, but I have no idea if it's proper HDR or not. Regardless, it doesn't acknowledge it. So I guess I have to keep using the yuv420 setting until it gets patched.

the 2015 Vizio models did not get an HDR update. Are you sure you're not thinking about the 2016 models?

That's entirely possible. I just remember reading that the latest firmware update (V1.3.34-UHD) enabled HDR, but I probably misread.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yesterday I got in a PS4 Pro and a 49" KS8000 for my home office, and woo boy I agree that it feels like some sort of next-gen. Everything is razor sharp, colors fly off the screen, and overall I'm just blown away. The transfer from my launch-day PS4 was simple and quick (I deleted a bunch of installed games to save time).

Overall, def impressed and glad I purchased one.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
ccP4yJR.jpg

I bought mine today and I just finished the system transfer via Ethernet Cable as for a new TV I will buy it next month.

Moreche

Is there any way to tell when my Pro was manufactured?
I remember the PS4 had a date code on the bottom that would state the year and month.

Apt101

I bought mine today and I just finished the system transfer via Ethernet Cable as for a new TV I will buy it next month.

Grats. If you go with a LG TV, just know that you will have to keep updating the firmware until there are no updates left, otherwise there are all kinds of (first) handshake issues then (second) HDR problems. But once it's updated it's fine.

Also, use "Vibrant" mode for HDR. Makes Final Fantasy 15 and inFAMOUS look stunning.

I feel strange because it's an IEC power cord like on OG PS3 but there is no ground on the cable. Anyone else know why this is? It's only 2-prong but the PSU is internal so hm...

I'm probably going to swap it for one of my many IEC cords that have a ground...

DBT85

I feel strange because it's an IEC power cord like on OG PS3 but there is no ground on the cable. Anyone else know why this is? It's only 2-prong but the PSU is internal so hm...

I'm probably going to swap it for one of my many IEC cords that have a ground...

You can do what you like, the console has no earth pin so changing the lead won't change a thing.

You can do what you like, the console has no earth pin so changing the lead won't change a thing.
Yeah I noticed this when I was looking at the cable a bit ago. Strange considering the power consumption. Guess whatever solution they have for surges was enough (or they want your system to fry more easily so you buy more? :p)

It's going to be a huge pain in the ass, but I think I'm going to haul this Vizio M55-D0 back to Best Buy for a refund.

I've tried every fix to try to get HDR to work with this thing to no avail. It doesn't even really seem to work (or look great) with my Xbox One S, which at least doesn't flip between black screens and static like the Pro does.

My budget isn't super high, so does anyone have any impressions of the KU7000 series? RTings says the HDR is only just OK, but if all the HDMI ports support it I'll gladly pick it up over this one.

III-V

It's going to be a huge pain in the ass, but I think I'm going to haul this Vizio M55-D0 back to Best Buy for a refund.

I've tried every fix to try to get HDR to work with this thing to no avail. It doesn't even really seem to work (or look great) with my Xbox One S, which at least doesn't flip between black screens and static like the Pro does.

My budget isn't super high, so does anyone have any impressions of the KU7000 series? RTings says the HDR is only just OK, but if all the HDMI ports support it I'll gladly pick it up over this one.

Wait until April timeframe when next years models start showing up and you will likely see the KS8000 with big price reductions. The KS7000 is missing a lot of features compared to 2017 models.

Alright, something's...off with my console. Every now and then it just disconnects from the internet, but I test the internet connection in the settings and everything seems to be fine, connects back up. But it's annoying when playing Rock Band 4 which requires to be online all the time to upload scores and XP. I don't think it's an internet issue, as it's not affecting any other device I've tried, and it's only started to occur over, say, the past week.

I've also had an issue where it refused to turn off for a while or boot from rest mode, had to eventually get it to turn off by holding the power button, turning it on and it had to reinitialise, before giving off an error that it could not boot the system software. But I sent off the error message and it works fine. I have rebuilt the database just in case, and it seems smoother now.

Any ideas? Not had any kind of problem like this with my old PS4, same location, hard drive, everything. I'll move things around, maybe try to ventilate it more, but I can't see that solving the connection issue.

Wait until April timeframe when next years models start showing up and you will likely see the KS8000 with big price reductions. The KS7000 is missing a lot of features compared to 2017 models.

Unfortunately waiting wasn't really an option, but I went ahead and bit the bullet (I guess I could always price match the difference if it changes next week) and picked up a KS8000.

What a huge difference. Played the last hour or two of The Last Guardian with HDR on and it looked fantastic. Ratchet & Clank looks great, too.

DBT85

Given the pro a hammering today. Saw the credits on R&C twice (3 in total) and got only my 2nd plat on this account and maybe my 5th overall.

So good.

pswii60

Playing RotTR and I still can't get over how damn incredible it looks in 4K mode on my C6 OLED. Literally jaw dropping.

Going back to 1080p seems really shit in comparison. I thought I'd favour the high framerate mode but the 4K mode is just too glorious.

The higher resolution gives everything so much more depth, and the scenery in the distance is still so clear, and no jaggies. Just a sight to behold and it elevates the experience.

So pleased I got a Pro.

Big Chungus

Does anyone have a problem with the top right corner of case being a bit wiggly?

Noticed this when I picked it up, it makes a small popping sound like its going to come off.

Mandelbo

I know it's sort of off topic, but I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive in my OG PS4 and this seemed like the best place to ask about it. Would this SSHD work in my PS4? It's SATA and 2.5 inch, so I think it *should* work, but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger on it.

Waveset

I know it's sort of off topic, but I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive in my OG PS4 and this seemed like the best place to ask about it. Would this SSHD work in my PS4? It's SATA and 2.5 inch, so I think it *should* work, but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger on it.
Go for a FireCuda, they're known to work perfectly with the PS4 and it has a 7200 rpm drive so will be faster than the drive you posted.

Melchiah

I had a weird bug this week, when the system froze for a while when set to rest mode. Luckily, it was fixed with rebuilding the database.

A friend of mine had an even weirder problem a couple of weeks ago, when his system took several minutes to start up. The same solution apparently fixed it as well.

Top Bottom