• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kinda nervous to open my PS4 Pro. I hate that it's basically a lottery as to whether you get a quiet one, or one that sounds like a leaf blower. I lost the lottery with the PS3, won with the OG PS4... hopefully this one will turn out fine, too. I guess I can just return it if it's noisy. But still -- kinda a pain to have to test the thing to make sure it's not a dud.

Don't be afraid because of things you've read online representing a VERY small fraction of total userbase. Give it enough ventilation and enjoy the best console gaming experience so far.

Jingo

Im sorry if this was answered before, but is there a topic about how to setup the ps pro( resolution settings etc)

I was reading my tv needs to support hdmi 2.0 at 60 hz and i dont know if mine does that, i know its hdmi 2.0 compatible, but not much else

Its a sony x9005b from 2014 and doesnt have hdr.

Thank you

adamsapple

Im sorry if this was answered before, but is there a topic about how to setup the ps pro( resolution settings etc)

I was reading my tv needs to support hdmi 2.0 at 60 hz and i dont know if mine does that, i know its hdmi 2.0 compatible, but not much else

Thank you

You can find out this info directly on the Pro as well, once you have it hooked up and powered on, go in the settings then audio and video settings, you can check what your TV is rendering it.

If it's got HDMI 2.0, i'm sure it's already 60hz.

Just make sure it has a lot of space, it makes a big difference. Mine was very loud but as soon as I made more space between it and the back of the furniture it became very quiet during most games. Because of the shape of the console (and the ridiculous depth of it), it's quite deceptive as to how much space it needs for proper air flow.

If anything I think my PSVR break out box is louder than my Pro in almost all situations (I hate that thing).

I was feeling the same fear, but I was lucky enough that my Pro is super quiet. Even at full blown its quiet compared to my OG PS4.

My Pro has been putting in some work since Friday when I set it up with the 2TB FireCuda. Downloading and installing for 3 days straight. Well 4 with today but I think it will be finished by the time Im back from work.

Sucks to have 2.5MBs for downloads, the struggle is real. Glad the new drive is super quiet just as my Pro

Well, after playing SFV, i ve been playing abzu, the game that convinced me to get a ps4. Up to now, loving it. Controls and camera are a bit off, but it's so nice. Don't lnow if it received a ps4 patch but IQ is top, with no aliasing to be seen.

After that one, firewatch...

I'm thinking about picking up a Pro with my Christmas money. I have a PS4 already, but I'm thinking the Pro will last longer and as new games automatically come with Pro support, I'll start seeing more and more benefits as time goes on and the regular PS4 will be sort of left behind. I know it will still be supported, but I'm guessing that games will slowly start to be optimized MORE on the Pro and perform worse (or have bad aliasing) on the regular PS4.

Not entirely true. Firewatch was patched....
Resogun has a Pro patch announced too (though not out yet).

Well, after playing SFV, i ve been playing abzu, the game that convinced me to get a ps4. Up to now, loving it. Controls and camera are a bit off, but it's so nice. Don't lnow if it received a ps4 patch but IQ is top, with no aliasing to be seen.
Yes, ABZU has been patched for Pro. You (and others) may find my list of released games with enhancements helpful.

BigEmil

Thanks, seems like a improvement overall though just a few minor sec improvement just have to excuse that one terrible just cause 3 port
So what's the consensus on the firecuda? Worthwhile speed improvements if I upgrade from my standard 2tb?
Maybe buy it test it out the same games compared to your standard 2TB and if it's the same just return/refund it should be good if it's Amazon

Humdinger

I'm thinking [....] as new games automatically come with Pro support, I'll start seeing more and more benefits as time goes on, and the regular PS4 will be sort of left behind. I know it will still be supported, but I'm guessing that games will slowly start to be optimized MORE on the Pro and perform worse (or have bad aliasing) on the regular PS4.

I think that's a reasonable assumption.

danthefan

So I got my Pro which is great, really pleased.

BUT, my old PS4 is fucked so I can't do the console transfer. It isn't able to restart, it just dies when it goes to restart as part of the transfer process. My saves are in the cloud so guess I'll just have to download my games again which is annoying, but I'll live with it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So after being very impressed by this thing performing on a 1080p tv. i decided to bite on the $999 KS8000 deal on Bestbuy last week. Best 4k HDR tv on the market for that price range so i figured i would see a massive difference.

Well, HDR in video games isnt a big wow thing DF and Cerny was making it out to be. It is definitely noticeable in games like FFXV and TLG but hardly noticeable in Uncharted and Ratchet. 4k isnt a great big leap either. i was perfectly fine with 1080p downscaling.

There is also very little HDR content available on netflix, youtube and amazon. not all of it is great. very few 4k movies as well. Civil War went up on Netflix this week and its not in 4k for some reason. weird.

Overall, the tv itself is fantastic but i dont think we have seen the true benefits of HDR in gaming just yet. if you find yourself wanting to buy it, i would recommend holding off until Horizon comes out because there is nothing out there that is worth spending $650-1000 just yet.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Thank you

Make sure to check connection info once the PS4 is hooked up also. I have a 2014 850b model Sont TV and only HDMI input 1and 2 are HDCP 2.2 capable, so you want the Pro hooked into one of those(if the 900b is the same). Go to display settings info on ps4 and it will tell you how the connection is set with your tv over HDMI. If it says HDCP 2.2 then all is good.

Jingo

Little help folks, just updated to the pro, on the resolution says it can only do YUV 420x should i choose that option or just leave it in automatic?

Hey Pro-GAF.

Got a wad of cash over Christmas which is just enough for me to get a Pro alongside UC4 and Bloodborne GOTY.

The thing is, part of me is finding it hard to justify since I already have an Xbox One and only a 1080p TV with no HDR.

Plus my Gaming Capable PC is in need of a CPU upgrade which is covered by cash that I received.

Any ideas? I really want to play UC4, Bloodborne, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous but the rest I'm looking forward to are multiplats (Pretty much just Mass Effect 4 right now.)

Hey Pro-GAF.

Got a wad of cash of over Christmas which is just enough for me to get a Pro alongside UC4 and Bloodborne GOTY.

The thing is, part of me is finding it hard to justify since I already have an Xbox One and only a 1080p TV with no HDR.

Plus my Gaming Capable PC is in need of a CPU upgrade which is covered by cash that I received.

Any ideas? I really want to play UC4, Bloodborne, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous but the rest I'm looking forward to are multiplats (Pretty much just Mass Effect 4 right now.)

Since you're interested in the PS4 exclusives and already have other capable consoles I say go for Pro

adamsapple

Little help folks, just updated to the pro, on the resolution says it can only do YUV 420x should i choose that option or just leave it in automatic?

Either would do the same, Automatic will always default to the highest possible setting your TV can allow. My TV is the same way. I can't select 2160p RGB, only YUV. The difference between the two modes is only some more richness in colors, but for general living areas they're both practically identical.

EmiPrime

Hey Pro-GAF.

Got a wad of cash of over Christmas which is just enough for me to get a Pro alongside UC4 and Bloodborne GOTY.

Right now based on what you want to play a slim PS4 might seem like a better purchase but this generation still has at least another 3 years left in it plus another couple of years of cross-gen games whenever PS5 comes out. The Pro is the more future proof purchase and I would expect more games like TLG.

My PC is currently running an FX 8350, 16gb of Ram and an R9 290. It's decent,and I'm fairly happy with it. As someone who simply uses my PC to game, a console purchase like the PS4 pro would be more logical I guess, especially with the exclusives.

Hey Pro-GAF.

Got a wad of cash over Christmas which is just enough for me to get a Pro alongside UC4 and Bloodborne GOTY.

I was in a similar situation. Do you plan to buy the Scorpio? If yes, get a Slim. If not, buy the Pro. At least that's what it boiled down to for me.

Humdinger

So after being very impressed by this thing performing on a 1080p tv. i decided to bite on the $999 KS8000 deal on Bestbuy last week. Best 4k HDR tv on the market for that price range so i figured i would see a massive difference.

Well, HDR in video games isnt a big wow thing DF and Cerny was making it out to be. It is definitely noticeable in games like FFXV and TLG but hardly noticeable in Uncharted and Ratchet. 4k isnt a great big leap either. i was perfectly fine with 1080p downscaling.

Have you checked out the GAF thread on the settings for that TV? It's a long one; those guys getting pretty in-depth about what the best settings are. If you haven't read it, you might give it a look. Maybe some tweaking of the settings would provide a more noticeable boost.

Lady Gaia

Have you enabled HDR on the input you're using? It is inexplicably disabled by default on all inputs on the KS8000. Also be sure to set color space to Auto or else you may be getting an artificially expanded/saturated color representation for 1080p content.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Have you enabled HDR on the input you're using? It is inexplicably disabled by default on all inputs on the KS8000. Also be sure to set color space to Auto or else you may be getting an artificially expanded/saturated color representation for 1080p content.

oh yeah. the first thing i did was check that thread and the digital foundry video on how to set that tv up. Went through all the steps of enabling the HDMI slot, setting color space and of course the blacklight to max. Every time i enable HDR on a video game, i get the pop up saying HDR video is playing. i can see the difference but its barely noticeable. the movies and certain youtube vids though. holy shit.

ghibli99

oh yeah. the first thing i did was check that thread and the digital foundry video on how to set that tv up. Went through all the steps of enabling the HDMI slot, setting color space and of course the blacklight to max. Every time i enable HDR on a video game, i get the pop up saying HDR video is playing. i can see the difference but its barely noticeable. the movies and certain youtube vids though. holy shit.
It really does come down to how each developer implements it. It's sometimes drastic, oftentimes subtle, and unfortunately, at times can look worse than SDR. :( Hopefully devs will get this sorted out better in 2017.

wilflare

thinking of getting The Witness to check out the Pro Mode.

any thoughts on ABZU or any other games on sale with a Pro Mode?

they should have a separate category/filter/tag for Pro

How is the PS4 Pro for playing video files? I don't have a PS4 yet, and I think I recall some media playing/streaming (over home network) features were missing when it first released, but they were planning to bring them back eventually. So can I play avi/mp4/etc. movie files if they are on the HDD? Can I stream them from a local media server?

etta

my hard graphic balls
So for Infamous, it's not really black crush but just super contrast-y, right? I'm supposed to leave the contrast on High?

Reveirg

Not sure where to post this so I'll just try this here. My GF would like to continue her FFXV playthrough when she comes over to my place, but doesn't have PS+.

Is there any way to transfer her save file? Could she simply transfer it on a usb drive and copy it on my ps4 assuming she logs on her user profile?

Vashetti

Banned
So for Infamous, it's not really black crush but just super contrast-y, right? I'm supposed to leave the contrast on High?

I put contrast on Low and found it much improved. Prior to the last patch that added that contrast option, we were stuck with the 'black crush' look.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I put contrast on Low and found it much improved. Prior to the last patch that added that contrast option, we were stuck with the 'black crush' look.
Oh, but it doesn't look like black crush, it just looks like an extreme case of crepuscular rays. When I am looking into the opposite way of a light source, the blacks don't get crushed.
Hmmm, oh well.

Femto.

Quick checklist before backing up my OG PS4 to an external HDD before I sell it and get a Pro.

• I backed up my saves to PSN
  • Deactivated the PS4 as my Primary Console from the console itself.

Anything else?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Quick checklist before backing up my OG PS4 to an external HDD before I sell it and get a Pro.

• I backed up my saves to PSN
  • Deactivated the PS4 as my Primary Console from the console itself.

Anything else?

Selling it first? Then I would also initialize the console to factory settings as well, so long as you only plan to re-download your saves from the cloud and not transfer games over to the Pro. Edit: Obviously after you backup your games to an external HDD which I just noticed you mention.

Femto.

Selling it first? Then I would also initialize the console to factory settings as well, so long as you only plan to re-download your saves from the cloud and not transfer games over to the Pro. Edit: Obviously after you backup your games to an external HDD which I just noticed you mention.

Did the full initialization, I'm glad I manually deleted a lot of stuff beforehand because I have 43 minutes left lol

Tinúviel;227350421 said:
Guys i'm currently using Dell U2515H for both my PC and Pro and sadly Pro doesn't support 1440p.I saw LG's 27UD68 which looks very great for it's price anyone using this with their Pro?Are you guys recommending this monitor?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01AN14SEO/

I play on an ASUS PB278Q which is 1440p as well. The Pro looks good in 1080p, but I really wish it was able to output to 1440p. I wonder how difficult that would be to implement in the Pro. I mean, if it can hit 4K, then why wouldn't it be able to do 1440p?

Theonik

I play on an ASUS PB278Q which is 1440p as well. The Pro looks good in 1080p, but I really wish it was able to output to 1440p. I wonder how difficult that would be to implement in the Pro. I mean, if it can hit 4K, then why wouldn't it be able to do 1440p?
It's an extra setting for developers to optimise and test for. It's also much easier to only devise strategies for scaling a few modes.

I remember reading something about all games being forced to have a Pro patch from November onwards. Does this apply also for digital games or is it only for AAA, retail titles? I bought the latest Shantae title and it doesn't look above 1080p, also the game has several framerate issues.

It's an extra setting for developers to optimise and test for. It's also much easier to only devise strategies for scaling a few modes.

I don't think it has anything to do with the developers. You can take a 1080p output and send it to a 720p screen. The PS4 is still outputting the 1080p signal, it's just automatically that the PS4's graphics card is displaying it at 720p (not actually running the game at 720p).

All Sony has to do is tell the PS4 to change it's display resolution to 1440p and the games that are running at 4k will stay running at that resolution, except the PS4's output will be 1440p.

The only difference would be what developers want to tell their game to do when it detects 1440p output. Should the game use 4k and downsample, or should they use 1080p mode with better graphical effects?

Top Bottom