• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was foolish to think this thing would provide cutscene level character models in gameplay.

?

It's up to the developers if they want to create a second set of assets for Pro and stick them on the same disc/package (which they won't).

Lady Gaia

I remember reading something about all games being forced to have a Pro patch from November onwards. Does this apply also for digital games or is it only for AAA, retail titles? I bought the latest Shantae title and it doesn't look above 1080p, also the game has several framerate issues.

At this point I think it's fair to assume that all games have be certified on Pro running at native clock speeds, no patches required. What developers do with the hardware is almost entirely up to them. So long as titles offer a 1080p mode they're good to go, but faster clock speeds should guarantee more consistent frame rates at a minimum if the resolution is identical to the base PS4.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, weird question perhaps... but I'm wondering. I have my PS4 and TV hooked to a surge-protector. Is it safe to turn it off (and on) every time I'm done for the day? I mean, pressing the big red switch every day. Will that somehow destroy my electronics?

adamsapple

Hey guys, weird question perhaps... but I'm wondering. I have my PS4 and TV hooked to a surge-protector. Is it safe to turn it off (and on) every time I'm done for the day? I mean, pressing the big red switch every day. Will that somehow destroy my electronics?

I think it's a better option if you're intending to be safer.

It's safer to have turn it off so there's no accidental surge in case your protector fails then to have it left on at all times.

Theonik

I don't think it has anything to do with the developers. You can take a 1080p output and send it to a 720p screen. The PS4 is still outputting the 1080p signal, it's just automatically that the PS4's graphics card is displaying it at 720p (not actually running the game at 720p).

All Sony has to do is tell the PS4 to change it's display resolution to 1440p and the games that are running at 4k will stay running at that resolution, except the PS4's output will be 1440p.

The only difference would be what developers want to tell their game to do when it detects 1440p output. Should the game use 4k and downsample, or should they use 1080p mode with better graphical effects?
The later is extra effort It's also quite inefficient to render at a lower resolution upscale to 4K, then downscale to 1440p. The current approach with the PS4 Pro is pretty simple. Besides, 1440p monitors are a pretty tiny niche especially with consoles that are designed to work with TVs primarily.

Robiin

First game I should boot up when I get my Pro, have a 4K HDR TV?

The Witness (already completed but just for the graphics)
Dishonored 2
Titanfall 2
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XV

First game I should boot up when I get my Pro, have a 4K HDR TV?

The Witness (already completed but just for the graphics)
Dishonored 2
Titanfall 2
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XV

Definitely The Witness. That game in HDR is just fucking godlike. And since you've beaten it, you can use it as a spectacle before moving onto something else.

Robiin

Definitely The Witness. That game in HDR is just fucking godlike. And since you've beaten it, you can use it as a spectacle before moving onto something else.
Cool, thanks!
Maybe I'll boot it up tonight with OG PS4 to remind myself of how it looks originally. Pro is shipping today!

The later is extra effort It's also quite inefficient to render at a lower resolution upscale to 4K, then downscale to 1440p. The current approach with the PS4 Pro is pretty simple. Besides, 1440p monitors are a pretty tiny niche especially with consoles that are designed to work with TVs primarily.

How is it any different than rendering a game at 1440p, then upscaling it to 4K, then downscaling it to 1080p?

The resolution of your monitor doesn't change the resolution at which the game runs at. It doesn't affect anything at all.

Theonik

How is it any different than rendering a game at 1440p, then upscaling it to 4K, then downscaling it to 1080p?

The resolution of your monitor doesn't change the resolution at which the game runs at. It doesn't affect anything at all.
That's not how the PS4 Pro works at all. Games that use downsampling do so excplicitly and never upscale to 4K but simply downscale to the output resolution. Developers create different strategies and optimisations for 4K and 1080p screens currently.
More-over, very few games that output 4K do so by upscaling a 1440p framebuffer. There is a lot of stuff happening under the hood.

That's not how the PS4 Pro works at all. Games that use downsampling do so excplicitly and never upscale to 4K but simply downscale to the output resolution. Developers create different strategies and optimisations for 4K and 1080p screens currently.
More-over, very few games that output 4K do so by upscaling a 1440p framebuffer. There is a lot of stuff happening under the hood.

If a game is programmed to run at 1440p, then upscale to 4K, it only does so on a 4K TV?
If a game is programmed to run at 1440p, but is connected to a 1080p display, it stays at 1440p, but downscales to 1080p?

I thought the supersampled games were downscaled from 4K to 1080p, not downscaled from their native rendering resolution (before checker boarding)

Pyrokai

A few days ago I wasn't even considering a PS4 Pro, and now I am. I have one more day to decide to act on the $249.00 PS4 Slim deal. Is it worth the upgrade to PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4k TV? Did some reading and I'm having trouble justifying it. I just don't know.....I DO want 1080p/60fps though....

Theonik

If a game is programmed to run at 1440p, then upscale to 4K, it only does so on a 4K TV?
If a game is programmed to run at 1440p, but is connected to a 1080p display, it stays at 1440p, but downscales to 1080p?

I thought the supersampled games were downscaled from 4K to 1080p, not downscaled from their native rendering resolution (before checker boarding)
That is correct. Developers create each mode independently. There has been a fuss recently with some games only getting higher resolution rendering in 4K displays because the devs opted not to downsample as well.

Also don't confuse these rendering modes, a 4K checkerboard is a 4K buffer, but you only render half of the pixels in the buffer and extrapolate the rest either with some temporal solution or with neighbouring pixels. There is no lower resolution buffer involved. 1080p modes in those games might downsample from the 4K buffer, render normally at a lower resolution and then downsample or render at 1080p with better AA.
Developers decide their approach based on what they think works best.

eastx

A few days ago I wasn't even considering a PS4 Pro, and now I am. I have one more day to decide to act on the $249.00 PS4 Slim deal. Is it worth the upgrade to PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4k TV? Did some reading and I'm having trouble justifying it. I just don't know.....I DO want 1080p/60fps though....

If you want games to have the best possible performance, there's nothing to think about. A decent number of games run better on the Pro so far, and that number will only continue to grow as time passes.

Pyrokai

If you want games to have the best possible performance, there's nothing to think about. A decent number of games run better on the Pro so far, and that number will only continue to grow as time passes.

Okay. Well that's good. I just wasn't sure if it was strictly for 4k TV performance or if I'd see benefits on 1080p outside of a few of ball cases. But if we're talking many games here,. Guess that's justifiable for me.

But that also means I can't get one right now because of the higher price :p

AndyD

aka andydumi

Do make sure you turn off the PS4 and TV before hitting the red switch though. Don't use sleep mode on PS4 then pull the plug. Otherwise you should be just fine. The main drawback might be longer bootup time for both devices.

Lady Gaia

Both are correct. If the game's final frame buffer is 1440p then it will scale directly from there to whatever output resolution you have selected. Note that some games will render their 3D scene first, possibly at 1440p, scale to another buffer at output resolution and render final UI elements like the HUD there. Developers actually have a lot of freedom to tune their title as they see fit based on the output resolution.

Checkboarding is not scaling. Ignore anyone who says otherwise. It's a rendering technique for reaching their native resolution that only uses a traditional rendering pipeline for 50% of the pixels, and an interpolation technique for the remainder. The final resolution can still be 1080p/1440p/1800p/2160p before scaling to the output resolution, with an increasingly common convention being to note the technique by using "c" instead of "p" when describing the title's resolution. So a 1800c game produces a 3200x1800 frame buffer and scales up or down to 1080p/4K depending on your display settings.

So, one week with my pro here.
Note that i jumped directly from ps3.

I finished :
Inside
Abzu
Virginia

I loved all of them. What a fucking fantastic start into the generation ! I think it even beats my ps3 start, which began with no less than the stellar GOW3.

Now playing
SF5 (box, €15) got already 2 free caracters (urien an guile). Combos are so difficult but super good gameplay. Strong choice
Rocket league : did not understand what the fuzz was all about. Now i do ! So genius gameplay.
Resogun: solid, but not sure to be addicted in the long term
Kings quest : wtf, chapter 1 is free and also so good.
Don't starve: just one hour yesterday. Strange as hell. Not sure if i'll like this one... But that was free on ps+...

Now looking to get my backlog (box only). Looking for good deals here in France, feel free to give me tips
The last of us remastered
Bloodborne
Uncharted collection
Beyond 2 souls
Odin sphere
Deus ex mankind divided
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and clank
Divinity original sin
Dishonored 2
Driveclub
Until dawn
The witness
Bound
Grand theft Auto 5
Metal Gear Solid 5
Diablo 3 reaper of souls
Life is strange
Dark souls 3
Watch dogs 2
Valkyria chronicles remastered
Tomb raider anniversary
The last guardian

And on psn, if sale :
Bastion
wd season 2
Gone home
Fez
Shovel knight
The binding of isaac
The walking dead saison 2
Transistor

So far so good. Very happy with my ps4 pro :)

Humdinger

Those are some good choices. Check out Gravity Rush: Remastered as well. One of the more charming and unique titles on the console.

adamsapple

- list -

You're basically in the same boat as me :)

Pro was my first PS4 after a PS3 and I also sort of went buy-crazy over black friday and the recent winter sales, bought around 2 dozen or so notable games from the launch of the PS4 to now. Didn't spend a crazy amount of money mind you, mostly bundled buy 2-get-1 free types and pre owned games to minimize costs.

I'm extremely happy for jumping onto a new generation and having the best version of the PS4 as my entry way. Also, I have a great 3 year worth of backlog available at cheap (I bought Ratchet brand new for $9.99 .. that's a steal).

Diablos

Does FFXV Lite still have improvements over standard PS4? I'm pretty sure it does, my eyes say so, but I'm too lazy to connect my standard PS4 again to know for certain.

Hesemonni

Banned
I was just finishing a session of Uncharted 4 when the picture on my PS4 Pro suddenly turned to static and the light started blinking a couple of times. Then the light changed to orange. It turned on ok after pressing the power button, but what the hell just happened?

Diablos

I was just finishing a session of Uncharted 4 when the picture on my PS4 Pro suddenly turned to static and the light started blinking a couple of times. Then the light changed to orange. It turned on ok after pressing the power button, but what the hell just happened?
I can't say for certain but my first guess would be overheating. Temp sensor forced the console to power down to avoid getting damaged.

legbone

I can't say for certain but my first guess would be overheating. Temp sensor forced the console to power down to avoid getting damaged.

That's what I was thinking. I'm worried silly of mine overheating. I cut the cord on my cable and signed up for playstation vue. I love it but now my pro is on anywhere from 6 to 16 hours a day. It has plenty of breathing room but it still gets kind of warm by the end of the day. Thinking about getting a little fan for it. And please don't say watch less TV, because if I'm not watching TV I'm playing games or watching Netflix Hulu or some other app. I have a smart TV so at least it gets a break when I'm watching Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix. Really wish my Samsung TV had a vue app. If there is one I couldn't find it.

partime

I finished :
Inside
Abzu
Virginia

I loved all of them. What a fucking fantastic start into the generation ! I think it even beats my ps3 start, which began with no less than the stellar GOW3.

Now playing
SF5 (box, €15) got already 2 free caracters (urien an guile). Combos are so difficult but super good gameplay. Strong choice
Rocket league : did not understand what the fuzz was all about. Now i do ! So genius gameplay.
Resogun: solid, but not sure to be addicted in the long term
Kings quest : wtf, chapter 1 is free and also so good.
Don't starve: just one hour yesterday. Strange as hell. Not sure if i'll like this one... But that was free on ps+...

Now looking to get my backlog (box only). Looking for good deals here in France, feel free to give me tips
The last of us remastered
Bloodborne
Uncharted collection
Beyond 2 souls
Odin sphere
Deus ex mankind divided
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and clank
Divinity original sin
Dishonored 2
Driveclub
Until dawn
The witness
Bound
Grand theft Auto 5
Metal Gear Solid 5
Diablo 3 reaper of souls
Life is strange
Dark souls 3
Watch dogs 2
Valkyria chronicles remastered
Tomb raider anniversary
The last guardian

And on psn, if sale :
Bastion
wd season 2
Gone home
Fez
Shovel knight
The binding of isaac
The walking dead saison 2
Transistor

Resogun was one of my first plats on PS4, loved playing it!

Nightwing449

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I was wondering for the people that have bought the ps4 pro what they thought about it. I have a Samsung 4k tv (not hdr) and i am trying to decide if i should get a ps4 slim or pro. I usually play most of my games on my gaming desktop but i really do like the games that Playstation has to offer.

Omerta

Hey everyone, I was wondering for the people that have bought the ps4 pro what they thought about it. I have a Samsung 4k tv (not hdr) and i am trying to decide if i should get a ps4 slim or pro. I usually play most of my games on my gaming desktop but i really do like the games that Playstation has to offer.

I've got a no hdr 4K set and a a pro and for me, the upgrade is pretty significant. I'm very happy with the purchase.

I've kept my OG PS4 which I use at work now but I can't bear to play anything with a pro patch on it.

I've got a no hdr 4K set and a a pro and for me, the upgrade is pretty significant. I'm very happy with the purchase.

I've kept my OG PS4 which I use at work now but I can't bear to play anything with a pro patch on it.

Yep, no HDR and 4K here, too (Vizio M70-C3). The upgrade is fantastic. Everything is just so crisp.

For the past 5 days every morning when I wake up my pro has the orange blinking light and my controller flashes white. Unplugging the power always fixes it but it's starting to become worrisome for me. I never had this happen with my og PS4.

Anyone ever have his happen consistently?

Nightwing449

Neo Member
I ended up getting the Playstation 4 Pro from Newegg since they had it for $369.99 and free two day shipping. I haven't played any playstation games since ps2, are there any games that are a must play? Also can i play ps3 games on ps4?

X-Factor

The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn
Heavy Rain
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Grand Theft Auto V
Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition

No you can't play PS3 games on PS4. However, there are a lot of good PS2 and PS3 games that have been remastered or ported to the PS4.

I ended up getting the Playstation 4 Pro from Newegg since they had it for $369.99 and free two day shipping. I haven't played any playstation games since ps2, are there any games that are a must play? Also can i play ps3 games on ps4?

Gibbo

I have a non HDR 4k Samsung TV too- UH7000. Even with HDR, The upgrade to a pro was very noticeable

Nightwing449

Neo Member
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn
Heavy Rain
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Grand Theft Auto V
Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition

No you can't play PS3 games on PS4. However, there are a lot of good PS2 and PS3 games that have been remastered or ported to the PS4.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been wanting to play the uncharted series since i saw some of the first one on ps3. I have also heard a lot of great things about bloodborne i just wish it got a pro patch.

Jingo

Did anyone done the test to power consumption compared to the original ps4? I heard this one uses a lot more power, is it true?

eastx

Did anyone done the test to power consumption compared to the original ps4? I heard this one uses a lot more power, is it true?

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wNoCnPxTp4

Long story short, the Pro uses less power than the launch PS4 during all tasks except running games that engage PS4 Pro enhanced features. The only activity during which Digital Foundry considers it to use too much power is during rest mode. Still less power than a launch unit though.

Robiin

Just got my Pro, the transfer was smoother than expected, took around 80 minutes via LAN transfer (both with Ethernet cables hooked up) for around 400 GB. Played some The Witness, god damn the colors!

Now I'm trying to go through The Last Guardian. It certainly runs a bit smoother than on the OG PS4, but not as stable as I expected. A bit of Googling told me I could bump down the system settings to output at 1080p. Anyone here did that?

Just got my Pro, the transfer was smoother than expected, took around 80 minutes via LAN transfer (both with Ethernet cables hooked up) for around 400 GB. Played some The Witness, god damn the colors!

Now I'm trying to go through The Last Guardian. It certainly runs a bit smoother than on the OG PS4, but not as stable as I expected. A bit of Googling told me I could bump down the system settings to output at 1080p. Anyone here did that?

Haven't done it for myself, but I do recall seeing that changing the output to 1080p from the main PS4 frontend gives you the best performance for TLG.

Damn that sucks. You let the smoke out. That's what keeps it running.

Sounds almost like something got wrapped up in the fan coil and stopped it, and when it could not cool, it died.

Have you verified the power coming out of the outlet with some other device? No doubt.

Better get on the horn with Sony.

Power is there

My situation is a bit different - this was a console given to be BY Sony to review, been waiting since I posted since it was the day BEFORE Christmas, still no word.

I'm debating whether this should be updated to reflect in my review of the system and I'm torn. And dying to get back to FFXV

yayaba

Hi all, just got a PS4 Pro for Xmas and loving it so far. I've been out of touch with console gaming for the last 2 years or so (went into a tabletop binge but that's another story).

I'm currently playing through FF15 on my current TV (1080p) and it looks outstanding. However, really wishing I could take full advantage of my Pro and started looking at 4K TV's, specially the KS8000.

My question is, is it worth the $1,200 bucks to upgrade my TV to 4K? Is there a real perceptible difference when you play on a 4K screen vs just 1080p? I don't have any plans to buy into a UHD Blu-ray player and streaming Netflix is the only other scenario where I would have 4K content available so it'd be pretty much be just for the PS4 Pro.

I'll also add that my wife is cool with me buying either a 4K TV or the PSVR but both is kind of a stretch for her so it'd be either a shiny new TV or VR gaming for me. Just curious if the TV is really going to be a significant step up from my current 1080p HDR-less setup or not.

JCH!

So I got my sister in law a PS4 Pro for Christmas only to find out her 4K TV doesn't support HDMI 2.0 and apparently can't run the PS4 Pro at 4K resolutions.

Sad times.

Aces&Eights

Kinda nervous to open my PS4 Pro. I hate that it's basically a lottery as to whether you get a quiet one, or one that sounds like a leaf blower. I lost the lottery with the PS3, won with the OG PS4... hopefully this one will turn out fine, too. I guess I can just return it if it's noisy. But still -- kinda a pain to have to test the thing to make sure it's not a dud.

I bought a little clip fan and have it clipped to the side of my entertainment center behind the tv and aimed at all the electronics. I do this just to keep good airflow and gently blow the heat coming of everything away. It works great. Can't really hear it and it keeps all my stuff from having fans turn on all the time.

Here are a few shots of Final Fantasy XV on regular PS4 and PS4 Pro "Lite" mode. Taken from video that I will cut together later. Seems like beyond the occasional increase in foliage and particles, the image is 1080p more often and thus particle effects can appear "smaller" even with increased or similar amount of them. Pretty minor overall, with better framerate being the biggest thing.

Regular PS4 said:
JF0PiPa.png
PS4 Pro Lite said:

Regular PS4 said:
PS4 Pro Lite said:

Regular PS4 said:
PS4 Pro Lite said:

Rest of the images at http://imgur.com/a/5N3LJ

Top Bottom