• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Am I fucking dumb and relied on PS+ for saves and it doesn't upload PS2 games ?

Fuck me, I am never going to play those games again then.

Edit: fuck, I have lost like 70 % of my saves

Drewfonse

I went to Target to pick up Titanfall 2 on sale, and noticed a grandmother picking up a PS4 Pro. I totally forgot about it's release, and really didn't care much.

So much for that. I went home and ordered it from target with another 10% wish list coupon + 5% Red Card discount. It ended up being $366 out the door. I don't have a 4K TV yet, but w/e.

Edit: I think I'm going to pick up a 2TB Firecuda for this as well.

Or you could have followed granny to the car, knocked her out, and saved yourself $366. Just thinking out loud here...

duxstar

So i'll ask a dumb question now, cause all of this is confusing me, and isn't easily googable. So on my Samsung KS 8000 the display in the top right says "3840 x 2160" / 60 P HDMI UHD COLOR

Which means that HDR is ON for this, and 4k resolution is on correct ? I was able to get that far with google fu, the question I have is, will my TV maintain this setting when playing titanfall 2, even though its only 1440p. So it will have a higher resolution, but my TV/PS4 will "up sample" it to 4k right ? and any effect of brightness will be my imagination because HDR wasn't added to titanfall 2 ?

AmyS

Alright! I got home about 10 minutes ago:

hQdPMNq.jpg

y4X0QdD.jpg

Drewfonse

Transfer is happening.

It's been answered 47,000 times, but I own a newer 4k HDR TV. For 60 fps, I need to choose the 420 4K res setting right? Should I just keep it on that and never go near the RGB? Or switch to RGB for HDR enabled titles. Still confused.

20161110_101424-017qbg2.jpeg

In its rightful home next to my Xbox One S and 55" KS8000! Just need a Nintendo Switch to fill that gap in the middle.

Ratchet & Clank looks jaw dropping. And the building textures in The Last of Us in native 4k look like real life.

So i'll ask a dumb question now, cause all of this is confusing me, and isn't easily googable. So on my Samsung KS 8000 the display in the top right says "3840 x 2160" / 60 P HDMI UHD COLOR

Which means that HDR is ON for this, and 4k resolution is on correct ? I was able to get that far with google fu, the question I have is, will my TV maintain this setting when playing titanfall 2, even though its only 1440p. So it will have a higher resolution, but my TV/PS4 will "up sample" it to 4k right ? and any effect of brightness will be my imagination because HDR wasn't added to titanfall 2 ?

PS4 always outputs the final framebuffer size, which in your case is 4K (2160p). Even if they make up pixels with upscaling or checkerboarding or whatever, the final framebuffer is that. Games that have variable resolution send still need to have the correct final framebuffer, so either the game or the PS4 makes it fit, because your TV is generally only good at handling HDTV (720/1080) and 4K resolution, not the stuff inbetween.

Slaythe

Am I fucking dumb and relied on PS+ for saves and it doesn't upload PS2 games ?

Fuck me, I am never going to play those games again then.

Edit: fuck, I have lost like 70 % of my saves

It does upload Ps2 saves.

You probable should have uploaded them manually to make sure.

Is sony allowing you to change PSN names now? Last time I used PSN was on PS3 and can't decide if I should start clean or try to salvage my old account with a few games on it.

Transfer is happening.

It's been answered 47,000 times, but I own a newer 4k HDR TV. For 60 fps, I need to choose the 420 4K res setting right? Should I just keep it on that and never go near the RGB? Or switch to RGB for HDR enabled titles. Still confused.

YUV for HDR, RGB for non HDR. Auto for easy mode.

Maedre

Banned
I've got a problem.

When i try to use the PS4 Pro with my LG27MU67-B 4K Monitor with two HDMI2.0 HDCOP 2.2 Ports, the PS4 Pro says to me that it can only use 1080p and HDCP 1.4
I used the HDMI cable that came along and tried both HDMI ports on the monitor. :(

chefbags

I'm confused about supersampling, I have a 1080p TV and monitor, do I have to put it in 4k mode to get the supersampling or is it already there automatically when it's in 1080p mode for pro enhanced games?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've got a problem.

When i try to use the PS4 Pro with my LG27MU67-B 4K Monitor with two HDMI2.0 HDCOP 2.2 Ports, the PS4 Pro says to me that it can only use 1080p and HDCP 1.4
I used the HDMI cable that came along and tried both HDMI ports on the monitor. :(

The twitter person who got the Pro first mentioned this as well, they said turning off HDCP let their display go up to 4K. Try that as well.

I guess you'd only need HDCP if you're planning to watch blu ray movies, it shouldn't have any effect on playing games.

This is probably a dumb question, but can I
use any USB hard drive to download the 4.05 firmware onto it when I put my 2tb in my pro?

I think so. on the SFW update page make sure to get the file from the new installation bit towards the bottom. its about 850mb. and you need the folder setup to be PS4 > UPDATE > *file here* .

onQ123

Is sony allowing you to change PSN names now? Last time I used PSN was on PS3 and can't decide if I should start clean or try to salvage my old account with a few games on it.

Why not do both? if you want a new name make a new account but you can also add your old account to your PS4 to keep your old stuff that's connected to that PSN account

Taker34

Banned
Ps4 UI seems so much faster to me on the pro. Its not my imagination is it? Even the library seems to load crazy fast now. And I have like 60 games in there

Yeah it's a noticeable upgrade. Remember when you couldn't even switch to the home screen while in game and it freezes and keeps lagging for ages? That's almost gone. It's never a good idea to switch while a game is loading or something similar but the upgrade is real. Very snappy.

Flandy

Went to Target about 10 minutes after they opened.
They didn't have any Pros in the electronic section so I asked if they had any in the back. Apparently they still hadn't moved them to the front yet and still had the "don't break street date" sticker on them or whatever they had. Ended up talking to the manager and showing him the weekly ad saying it released today. Walked out with a Pro for 10% off with my coupon :)

c00l3ru

Has it been confirmed that auto switch to RGB for non-hdr and YUV4.2.2 for HDR?

As of yesterday we were not sure if auto worked well, but I am not following the thread anymore, hence ^.
Auto for me switches to the higher setting of 4.2.2. which is what happens when I select RGB 4K with HDR on.

cakely

If I bought a 2TB HDD to go along with this, should I swap out the hard drives before even turning the console on? Or do I need to do some sort of setup before I swap them out?

You'll need a USB stick with the 4.05 recovery firmware on it if you want to do that.

You might want to just turn the thing on to make sure it boots first, right? That's what I'm doing anyway.

Moodz

Just got my pro and change the hdd but I can't for the life of me put the plastic case back... It's not clipping, I don't know what to do... Please help me! haha

Drewfonse

Auto for me switches to the higher setting of 4.2.2. which is what happens when I select RGB 4K.

I guess the question is whether the system switches between the two 4K settings automatically, depending on whether an HDR enabled game is being played.

Can someone please test this out? I guess Infamous and Deus EX support HDR, among others.

Elios83

Just tried Deus Ex.
I thought it was a weak update instead it looks really clean and crisp (all the aliasing the was present before in abundance is gone) and the HDR effect that before was barely noticeable now looks more natural and evident because of the higher resolution. Not seeing particular frame rate problems either, it runs like before.

Any wifi tests yet? My wifi is terrible, hoping it's better.

Also mostly like the look of the Pro in person, I like the PS logo on top.

Rey

Hey Rey you haven't joined the Pro party yet? ;)

After trying it today I kinda want a 4KTV now, which would be enormously stupid as I bought a TV only 2 years ago.

I'll probably buy one :(

Ofcourse I did, couldn't hold myself ;-)

Haha, I give u a week.

I bought R&C today. Seeing that pic made me curious how big/small the difference is with the base PS4.

Moodz

Just got my pro and change the hdd but I can't for the life of me put the plastic case back... It's not clipping, I don't know what to do... Please help me! haha

It's ok I'm ok!
One of the plastic stick had bent and almost broke... I don't know why..
I put it back in place and everything is alright.

c00l3ru

I guess the question is whether the system switches between the two 4K settings automatically, depending on whether an HDR enabled game is being played.

Can someone please test this out? I guess Infamous and Deus EX support HDR, among others.
Both settings work in HDR for me. But yes it switches to 4.2.2. which is what happens when I select RGB 4K. In game

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The power cable and how poorly it connects to the console is so fucking chintzy. You gotta be kidding with this, Sony.

Top Bottom