• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Lima

I'm sorry but I can't believe that there is absolutely no sound coming from your PS4 Pro when playing from disc. The nature of the disc drive in itself is going to create sound no matter what. It may not be very loud, but there is sound when a disc starts spinning, whether you notice it or not.

But you are never playing from disc. It installs to the HDD and then stops spinning after it's done. The only time you then hear the drive is for a couple of minutes after first booting the console. Also buying discs in 2016 LUL

Loudninja

I saw a thread awhile ago about transferring data between an old PS4 and a Pro, well I just bought one and can't find the thread so I'm asking here.

I think that video said you can just hook the two up via LAN cable, but is that the requirement or do the two PS4's just have to be on the same network? I can hook one up in the living room via wifi and the Pro in my office via LAN directly to my router, is it possible to transfer that way or do I need both directly connected?

IF it's a pain in the ass I'll just do the cloud upload thing and wipe my old PS4 and download what I need. All I really want to keep is my Rocket League and Street Fighter V data.
Sony posted a guide
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/11/09/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-ps4-to-ps4-pro/

DryvBy

Meh, not a massive improvement overall. I'd say if you have a PS4 and you don't have a 4K screen, just hold off. I'm not noticing huge improvements.

I did have an issue with it shutting down when I unplugged my USB cable from the controller. That was not very cool.

Moreche

I'm returning my Pro tomorrow because I find the whole situation a mess.
Every single game that has a Pro mode should not have worse frame-rates than PS4 versions.

GazzaGSi

I'm sorry but I can't believe that there is absolutely no sound coming from your PS4 Pro when playing from disc. The nature of the disc drive in itself is going to create sound no matter what. It may not be very loud, but there is sound when a disc starts spinning, whether you notice it or not.

I haven't said there is no sound coming from it, there's bound to be that's obvious. I've basically said I'm sat next to it and haven't heard it while playing and it hasn't caught my attention to think it's loud or working hard.

Elfstruck

Meh, not a massive improvement overall. I'd say if you have a PS4 and you don't have a 4K screen, just hold off. I'm not noticing huge improvements.

I did have an issue with it shutting down when I unplugged my USB cable from the controller. That was not very cool.

Eh, I just compared it last night. The difference is night and day even if it's 1080p. It also came down with what monitor/TV you are using.

Curufinwe

But you are never playing from disc. It installs to the HDD and then stops spinning after it's done. The only time you then hear the drive is for a couple of minutes after first booting the console. Also buying discs in 2016 LUL

Discs are a lot cheaper.

But they only spin at start up, and that's been the case for three years now. More, if you installed your 360 games.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I wanted to trade in my old ps4 for the the Pro and Gamestop just told me I cant because I upgraded the HDD to 1 TB.....

That sucks. They actually gave me a bit extra for mine at EB Games. I was just happy they took it at all since I threw the old 500GB drive away after I replaced it.

DryvBy

Eh, I just compared it last night. The difference is night and day even if it's 1080p. It also came down with what monitor/TV you are using.

I have a really good 1080p screen. But I'm just not seeing a huge improvement. Plus, the fans are still loud af.

I'm probably going to return this after the weekend. Just not impressed at all.

sasliquid

Really hoping the BF1 HDR patch is out by Thursday next week. That's when I'm planning to set it all up and first play the game.

But between developers pacing out patches and slightly worse performance, I will continue to leave the option to return the thing

Asking this for a friend.

My friend traded in his PS4 to get a PS4Pro. But he forgot to deactivate his previous PS4, and now he doesn't seem to be able to activate the PS4Pro. Is there a way to deactivate his previous PS4 when he doesn't have it anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Can you do a data transfer with an external hard drive?

I believe you can, just need to format it to exFAT. Check the PS website for more details in the probable case that I'm wrong.

Asking this for a friend.

My friend traded in his PS4 to get a PS4Pro. But he forgot to deactivate his previous PS4, and now he doesn't seem to be able to activate the PS4Pro. Is there a way to deactivate his previous PS4 when he doesn't have it anymore.

Thanks in advance.

You can go to the online Sony/PS site and do a mass deactivation (take note you can only do a mass deactivation every 6 months. There is no limit on doing it locally/through console).

Maybe he can do it online. Go to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/confirm-sso!input.action and deactivate all devices.

You can go to the online Sony/PS site and do a mass deactivation (take note you can only do a mass deactivation every 6 months. There is no limit on doing it locally/through console).

Cheers guys. He has a PS3 and Vita activated as well, will the mass deactivation clear those as well?

Caja 117

That sucks. They actually gave me a bit extra for mine at EB Games. I was just happy they took it at all since I threw the old 500GB drive away after I replaced it.

I think I still have mine but Im sure is damaged....Im not sure If Im going to just wait out or what to do, I really dont want to go and sell it online or something like that.

finalflame

what type of bandwidth do you need to be able to stream at 1080p/60?

Stream as within your home/remote play? If so, you'll want either hardwired (CAT5 ethernet via a capable gigabit router), or very solid Wireless-AC WiFi. You're likely to still get some latency/lag spiking issues on WiFi.

Stream online, as in, Twitch? Virtually unheard of for any streamers, the vast majority stream at 720p/60 and it's not considered a good idea to even attempt 1080p due to how demanding it is. Likely need along the lines of stable ~20mbit upstream, depending on your desired bitrate.

DryvBy

That name ain't really helping your case there buddy;)

?

Oh, as in drive-by? Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense because I'm still in the thread. People that follow me on Twitter know I was totally excited but I'm not thinking it was worth the administration just yet is all.

finalflame

Honestly, if it has worse performance on even a handful of games, that's a problem.

Was it not a requirement that Pro scaled games had to perform at least as well as the regular PS4 counterparts?

Edit: Yup, see the last point:

53012_20_leaked-ps4-neo-slides-sony-reveal-specs-4k-upscaling-strategies.jpg

I guess "it is important" reads more as a strongly worded suggestion than a requirement :/

I'm not getting a 4k TV any time soon, so that really not a selling point for me. Does anyone have a link to screens from games down sampled to 1080p and a comparison to regular ps4 screens? I haven't been able to tell a difference at all casually looking around, but maybe I haven't found good screenshots.

Cubed

Every single game that has a Pro mode should not have worse frame-rates than PS4 versions.
1. Not "every single game" has issues.
2. Geez, dude. Give the console more than a day... Most issues should be patched out soon.

Knight77

One thing is not really clear to me: I have a new Sony 4K TV and a new AV receiver that supports HDR, to use HDR with PS4 Pro can I connect it to the AV receiver (as all the other devices I have) or I need to connect it directly to the TV (hope not)?

Guys any feedback? I think AVR option is fine but...Just to be sure

HardRojo

The misinformation is starting to spread.

Still, I hope they actually solve the issue with games that are having performance issues.

Humdinger

Honestly, if it has worse performance on even a handful of games, that's a problem.

It is, but not a big one. Occasional 1 to 3 fps drops in a Bethesda game (shocking) and some issues in one mode for a last-gen game almost everyone has already played. Suddenly, minor issues in 2 games becomes major problems in "every single game." That's the way it is with these launches, though. Little stuff gets blown out of proportion.

spwolf

so far with the games that "only" downsample to 1080p, it is easy to see crisper resolution, but to some people this is not huge. It is similar to people buying new gpu to play at higher res, no jaggies... i really cant notice any jaggies anymore in games i tried (R&C and Infamous).

More interesting is some games having more things upgraded and unlocked fps.

But most interesting is in PSVR, where there is night/day difference between the two, no matter how much you care about picture iq.

Top Bottom