• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Hey guys. I've only played MWR on my PS4 pro so far.

Is infinite Warfare 4K HDR? Would it be a good example of what to look for in terms of lovely graphics?

Or Uncharted 4? I hear it's just 1440p.

Which do you think would show off the graphics most

Starting to sense a consensus that Infamous is the most consistently impressive Pro game right now but only assuming you have a TV that can really handle an HDR signal. Otherwise some say it looks too dark. Not on my Samsung though.

Ok, connecting both PS4s to PSN through LAN and router seems to fix the server timeout error ( NW - 31175 - 7 ) with Wifi - direct LAN cable configuration. It looks like that OG PS4 was loosing WLAN connection before the preparation for the transfer could be finished, so it failed.

After I connected everything to router (found second LAN cable fortunately) the transfer process has started. Will need like 50 min for 150 GB.

I appreciate the help but as I mention in my post, I tried that. Multiple times. I've tried most everything. Outside a completely different router and internet provider. Which I may try to test tonight.

GrazGamer

Dude, I love this system. This is coming from a guy with a pretty awesome PC that plays 4K games on it. I know that I'm not entirely getting Very High setting at 4K on the PS4, but it blows my mind that they can even get a game to run at 4K on this system for 400 bucks. Titanfall 2 looks so good. Last of Us, goddamn at 4K HDR, sweet baby Jesus. The game that really blew me away was Uncharted 4. How the fuck was Naughty Dog able to get this game to run at 4K??? Amazing. I will still probably buy third party games on PC just because of the price. I never pay full price for PC games. But PS4 Pro is making it really difficult for me to upgrade my PC to the inevitable 1080 TI when that releases next year.

I haven't even hooked up my VR yet. Super excited for the weekend.

Feel exactly the same. I was holding out for the ti too but the pro might just be enough for me. Just finished the first 7 levels of UC4 and forget the resolution, the HDR in this game is a thing of stunning beauty. This is easily the best looking game I have ever seen, maxed PC games or not. At times it was so photo realistic I had to double take.

c00l3ru

Starting to sense a consensus that Infamous is the most consistently impressive Pro game right now but only assuming you have a TV that can really handle an HDR signal. Otherwise some say it looks too dark. Not on my Samsung though.
Yeah I'm playing First Light and it's great. But I can't stop playing UC4. It keeps giving me loads of Wow moments even though it's only 1440p. But it makes such a difference as well as with HDR.

Lady Gaia

Fun fact from my side-by-side experimentation with games running on both the PS4 Pro and PS4: load times for Uncharted 4 were noticeably better on the Pro. I was trying to sync up the display to make them easier to compare by pressing buttons simultaneously on both controllers, but the Pro would consistently load an area and several seconds faster so I had to pause to sync up cutscenes.

Of course there were several variables here with different hard drives, interfaces, CPU speeds, etc. so I'm not sure exactly what to attribute the difference to, but it was nice to see. I'll have to try some unpatched games to eliminate at least some variables.

Deku Tree

I got a Pro and re-downloaded all my games. Then do my cloud saves automatically get downloaded?

What happens the first time I start up a game that I used to play? Does it start a new save file or download the one from the cloud?

Well Just finished COD:Infinite Warfares campaign in PRO mode from Redbox..Jesus the image quality is fantastic from the UI elements, weapon models, character models, and effects. The actually game looked better than the fuzzy cutscenes funny enough. Glad we finally have a console that can show off Bullshot visuals in a lot of scenes. FYI IW campaign is pretty fucking great, totally worth the $1.60 I paid to play it..

Kyoufu

I got a Pro and re-downloaded all my games. Then do my cloud saves automatically get downloaded?

What happens the first time I start up a game that I used to play? Does it start a new save file or download the one from the cloud?

You have to download your saves.

def sim

Ugh. I got a lot of 'em.

Why doesn't Sony let you auto download all of them at once? I have to do it one at a time....

It should let you select all games, though you have to have the game installed for it to work.

Press options -> select multiple applications

w0s

dumb question but by any chance is the pro upscaling hulu? I swear watching blackish last night the picture was really nice. Oddly watched modern family afterwards and it wasn't as clear but still looked good but man. I swear it looked better.

probably placebo but was really weird.

Abdiel

I was playing bf1 and it started just as silent as it was yesterday... Which is so completely different from my white Destiny ps4 which was pretty damn loud during that game.

Really pleased.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But why? Dos it not disappoint you that games are running worse than the less powerful console?

No, I'm not disappointed.

Because these are just a few isolated cases, this is not a system wide thing. The games running 'worse' are also running at resolutions much higher than their base counterparts.

I think you're overreacting to a very little thing. All 3 games are pre-Pro release. Besides these 3, just about all other games are better both visually and have better performance on top of them (eg RoTR and COD IW, Shadow of Mordor etc). Plus all future PS4 games will have pro enhancements one way or another.

Also .. HAVE YOU SEEN THAT FF15 DEMO TOPIC ? DUDE .. THAT'S WITHOUT THE 4K !!! IMAGINE THE HIGH RESOLUTION VERSION !

Fuck it, I'm in boys. That target 15% off was too tempting to pass up. Snagged the last one.

TAUE47m.jpg

Salz01

So I'm confused. Just hooked up the pro and started uncharted. Does it automatically go into PS4 pro mode, or is the there an option in the menus to turn it on? Or does it just detect what it is in the system settings? Is there anything for me to toggle on and off? Besides hdr?

So I'm confused. Just hooked up the pro and started uncharted. Does it automatically go into PS4 pro mode, or is the there an option in the menus to turn it on? Or does it just detect what it is in the system settings? Is there anything for me to toggle on and off? Besides hdr?

It automatically runs in pro mode. Nothing for you to fiddle with except hdr switch

MilesTeg

Banned
What are the steps i need to take if i do game sharing on my current ps4? As in, i wish to trade in my ps4 and retain my current benefits

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Whoops, my 4k monitor only has HDMI 1.4 inputs so it can't do 4k60 over that connection. Fortunately there's an extra displayport socket open. Time to hunt for an adapter.

5taquitos

What are the steps i need to take if i do game sharing on my current ps4? As in, i wish to trade in my ps4 and retain my current benefits

Whoever you're game-sharing with will need to log into your PS4 Pro and set it as their primary. This means you'll need to deactivate your old PS4 before selling it.

NBA 2K17 is so god damn clean, man the image is a wow moment. The Menu will deceive you, once you get in game everything thing is spectacular, even the damn crowd. And Bound in PS4 Pro and PS VR is another WOW moment.

farmerboy

Preordered a few weeks ago. Backed up 350 gigs (fuck downloading some of those patches!).

Wiped the ps4 last night after a bit of downtime with Destiny, packed her away after thanking her for 3 good years. But after waiting 2.3 billion years for The Last Guardian, I just had to play it on a Pro. Gonna pick up Dishonored 2 as I generally like to try new franchises when I get new hardware.

Good times.

And don't forget to deactivate your ps4 as primary. It's easy to forget to do that. Saves you some hassle ringing up support to get it done if you forget.

6 hrs till the Pro lands at my joint. :)

My Pro will be fine playing games.

But as with previous versions the second I bring up the PS Menu during a game to send a message everything will slow to a crawl and the fans will kick in.

I can't understand how this day and age ... a proprietary OS can be so abominably slow.

SeanR1221

So the answer I'm getting on reddit is to prevent the blank screen from appearing I need to go into safe mode and turn off HDCP?

Is this right? Wouldn't that prevent me from using video apps?

This is on the KS8000. A very popular tv around here. I can't possibly be the only one with the problem.

I'm on the verge of chucking this PS4 pro back at GameStop and selling all my games and getting an Xbox

rawd

I can't get over how sharp everything looks in First Light. Just keep running around looking at stuff. So fucking pretty

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'll be another storm cloud in this thread, but I'll say my piece and move on without shitting things up. I've spent about 10 hours now with the system, playing mostly Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank. Right now, it's kind of meh for me.

This system just feels half-assed. Don't get me wrong, I love having a more powerful Playstation 4 and access to the fantastic games library; I'm also happy for the folks who don't plan on getting into pc gaming--they now have a pretty good alternative at a fair price. That said, the system doesn't seem to have enough chutzpah to it on the CPU side of things, and the current model of having developers provide patches at their own whim is a huge buzzkill. I'm really hoping that Sony allows for a little more creativity with devs and a lot more freedom for the end user when it comes to resolutions and improvements for games without patches.

I realize the complaints I'm throwing at it probably come across as unfair since I obviously knew what I was getting into when I purchased it, but I'm just having a tough time thinking this thing is going to take off...and of course that means the potential for waning support. As we move into the holiday season, I just don't see how this thing sways consumers to buy it rather than the standard PS4, which will be creeping down to $249 with games included.

Time will tell, and I'm not returning it or anything like that, but so far the Pro just strikes me as a curiosity.

Allforce

Transferring 330GB via router method will take me less than an hour :)

What the hell, I'm on hour 3 already and only 60 GB have gone across out of 215. Still says 5 hours remaining.

About to cancel this whole thing and just link them up directly and start over.

Peterthumpa

I'll be another storm cloud in this thread, but I'll say my piece and move on without shitting things up. I've spent about 10 hours now with the system, playing mostly Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank. Right now, it's kind of meh for me.

This system just feels half-assed. Don't get me wrong, I love having a more powerful Playstation 4 and access to the fantastic games library; I'm also happy for the folks who don't plan on getting into pc gaming--they now have a pretty good alternative at a fair price. That said, the system doesn't seem to have enough chutzpah to it on the CPU side of things, and the current model of having developers provide patches at their own whim is a huge buzzkill. I'm really hoping that Sony allows for a little more creativity with devs and a lot more freedom for the end user when it comes to resolutions and improvements for games without patches.

I realize the complaints I'm throwing at it probably come across as unfair since I obviously knew what I was getting into when I purchased it, but I'm just having a tough time thinking this thing is going to take off...and of course that means the potential for waning support. As we move into the holiday season, I just don't see how this thing sways consumers to buy it rather than the standard PS4, which will be creeping down to $249 with games included.

Time will tell, and I'm not returning it or anything like that, but so far the Pro just strikes me as a curiosity.

There's no way to *not* get you wrong here. So, you've played 10 hours of two of the most impressive games in the IQ department available today in ANY platform, and you think that for some reason the CPU is an issue? I mean, what exactly happened to blame the CPU for anything?

Also, it has been said, now countless of times, that games from now on will REQUIRE a Pro mode. You have a NVIDIA avatar so I suppose you're into PC gaming. Now tell me, how can you possibly demand standardization on how to use the extra Pro power if we have so many developers, engines and games out there? I don't think that Sony is doing anything wrong here.

Okay, I decided to get Infinite Warfare since I got the 20 bucks off code from Amazon for buying the Pro. I wasn't going to bother with it since I hated the beta, but what the hell. Man, this campaign is fucking fantastic so far! I know the bar has been set low lately for COD campaigns, but this one has given me some MW2 flashbacks already. I have seriously been wowed at the graphics; it is razor sharp on the Pro. Good shit so far!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What the hell, I'm on hour 3 already and only 60 GB have gone across out of 215. Still says 5 hours remaining.

He is probably qouting the estimated time before you start transfer, mine said 11min for 64gb, took 40mins + 20 mins waiting for it to prepare.

microdot

To be fair I have a crazy router that is completely unnecessary for my needs. It actually took 1hr 20ish

Heads up you guys! I made a post just like this before, but man, I am blown away! This is slightly off-topic, but I'd thought I'd share in case it helps someone out!

I decided to test my monitors separate presets out recently, after playing R&C on the Pro, and discovered a whole new world of color. I tried out the "game mode" on my display, which is something I've never done, thinking that it would just un-sharpen the image like a TV would do. What I wasn't prepared for was the sudden blowout of color; color that was seemingly non-existent on the standard mode for my display. The weird part is that I never thought I was missing color before, and the game mode actually is kinda how I remember the games looking! Now, when I switch back to game mode, everything literally becomes gray and boring. Right after my discovery, I immediately decided to seek out anything that would prove that the image was just getting over-saturated, but found no proof when using various tests. Some colors even remain the same when switch between the modes, so I thought about this: What if the game mode on my monitor kills all presets on my screen and allows games to use their own "pallets" in a way, as if the standard mode's color presets conflicted with the games' presets. That is just some totally stupid theory of mine though; I don't actually know what makes the game mode different!

Anyways, I took 2 pics of Hitman with one shot being the standard mode, and the other the game mode. I think I need to decompress after making my discovery. I have been playing game on standard with no issue for 2 1/2 years, but now it's impossible to go back ;_; And like I said before, the standard mode never looked bad to me!

The reason why I made this post was to hopefully have some people dig into their displays and take the time to make simple or complex calibrations! Seek out ways to get the best out of your screens (especially new buyers of those fancy boy 4K screens!)

Evo X

One HDMI cable runs from an ARC-enabled receiver's output to the ARC-enabled HDMI port on your television. One HDMI cable runs from each of your devices that you aren't planning to route through the receiver (PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, presumably.) That's it, except for whatever settings you need on your receiver and television to enable ARC communication.

When you're watching something from the receiver the HDMI cable between it and your television routs video to the TV. When you're watching one of your 4K game systems (or using a smart TV feature like integrated NetFlix) the same cable routs audio back from the television to your receiver. You may need to select a receiver input that represents the external audio source.

Have a look at your manual for what HDMI port has ARC HDMI port some TVs call it CEC. Then enable it and enable it on your AVR. Then the surround will pass through the ARC HDMI back to your receiver. I have to do it with mine as I can't pass through 4k.

Great. Thank you for the help.

So more people seem to recommend 4K mode on 1080p TV's for Tomb Raider? I know I can try both but I would prefer to just choose one going in and not stress about what I'm missing or if I made the right choice. I was planning on going in with Enhanced Mode, but the early response of people is causing me to reconsider.

Chiggs

Gold Member
There's no way to *not* get you wrong here.

I guess so, given your reaction.

So, you've played 10 hours of two of the most impressive games in the IQ department available today in ANY platform, and you think that for some reason the CPU is an issue? I mean, what exactly happened to blame the CPU for anything?

Probably didn't do a great job explaining it (or even mentioning it), but the Digital Foundry videos making the round are a little concerning. U4 and Ratchet are as expected.

Also, it has been said, now countless of times, that games from now on will REQUIRE a Pro mode.

I acknowledged that pretty clearly in my post. I said I knew what I was getting into.

You have a NVIDIA avatar so I suppose you're into PC gaming.

100% true.

Now tell me, how can you possibly demand standardization on how to use the extra Pro power if we have so many developers, engines and games out there? I don't think that Sony is doing anything wrong here.

Your point is, of course, fair. It's not so much they're wrong, it's that there seems to be potential for other options, which I hope we see. I don't think it's reasonable to offer a ton of PC-like options, but something more than what's currently offered would be appreciated.

In terms of how can I demand anything more, well, I'm a consumer and the heart wants what it wants. ;)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Heads up you guys! I made a post just like this before, but man, I am blown away! This is slightly off-topic, but I'd thought I'd share in case it helps someone out!

I decided to test my monitors separate presets out recently, after playing R&C on the Pro, and discovered a whole new world of color. I tried out the "game mode" on my display, which is something I've never done, thinking that it would just un-sharpen the image like a TV would do. What I wasn't prepared for was the sudden blowout of color; color that was seemingly non-existent on the standard mode for my display. The weird part is that I never thought I was missing color before, and the game mode actually is kinda how I remember the games looking! Now, when I switch back to game mode, everything literally becomes gray and boring. Right after my discovery, I immediately decided to seek out anything that would prove that the image was just getting over-saturated, but found no proof when using various tests. Some colors even remain the same when switch between the modes, so I thought about this: What if the game mode on my monitor kills all presets on my screen and allows games to use their own "pallets" in a way, as if the standard mode's color presets conflicted with the games' presets. That is just some totally stupid theory of mine though; I don't actually know what makes the game mode different!

Anyways, I took 2 pics of Hitman with one shot being the standard mode, and the other the game mode. I think I need to decompress after making my discovery. I have been playing game on standard with no issue for 2 1/2 years, but now it's impossible to go back ;_; And like I said before, the standard mode never looked bad to me!

The reason why I made this post was to hopefully have some people dig into their displays and take the time to make simple or complex calibrations! Seek out ways to get the best out of your screens (especially new buyers of those fancy boy 4K screens!)
Top one looks natural & the bottom looks Samsung oversaturated and cartoonlike but has the better picture.

Top Bottom