• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Garani

I gave in and got my PS4Pro by giving back a Day one PS4 w/ a couple of games.

The design really sucks, but who cares: this thing is just SILENT and the quality of Uncharted 4 and TLOU is fenomenal!

I found out that my Samsung 48J6500 had been patched for HDR and everything is just... WOW!

All in all for €270 I got a new baby w/ 2 year warranty and a further extention for another 2 years. I should be set 'till PS5 at this point :)

bryanee

So more people seem to recommend 4K mode on 1080p TV's for Tomb Raider? I know I can try both but I would prefer to just choose one going in and not stress about what I'm missing or if I made the right choice. I was planning on going in with Enhanced Mode, but the early response of people is causing me to reconsider.

I was all for enhanced mode at first but then I compared the two. 4K super sampled for me, I just cant be doing with the shimmering and jaggies. 4K mode looks so smooth and clean on a 1080p tv.

Fox1304

Heads up you guys! I made a post just like this before, but man, I am blown away! This is slightly off-topic, but I'd thought I'd share in case it helps someone out!

I decided to test my monitors separate presets out recently, after playing R&C on the Pro, and discovered a whole new world of color. I tried out the "game mode" on my display, which is something I've never done, thinking that it would just un-sharpen the image like a TV would do. What I wasn't prepared for was the sudden blowout of color; color that was seemingly non-existent on the standard mode for my display. The weird part is that I never thought I was missing color before, and the game mode actually is kinda how I remember the games looking! Now, when I switch back to game mode, everything literally becomes gray and boring. Right after my discovery, I immediately decided to seek out anything that would prove that the image was just getting over-saturated, but found no proof when using various tests. Some colors even remain the same when switch between the modes, so I thought about this: What if the game mode on my monitor kills all presets on my screen and allows games to use their own "pallets" in a way, as if the standard mode's color presets conflicted with the games' presets. That is just some totally stupid theory of mine though; I don't actually know what makes the game mode different!

Anyways, I took 2 pics of Hitman with one shot being the standard mode, and the other the game mode. I think I need to decompress after making my discovery. I have been playing game on standard with no issue for 2 1/2 years, but now it's impossible to go back ;_; And like I said before, the standard mode never looked bad to me!

The reason why I made this post was to hopefully have some people dig into their displays and take the time to make simple or complex calibrations! Seek out ways to get the best out of your screens (especially new buyers of those fancy boy 4K screens!)

2Nd pic looks really overblown in every possible way.
You should start from a neutral picture and tweak it to your liking. For you,I'd say to first increase contrast a bit, lower brightness and add some saturation. But game modes generally burn everything.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So more people seem to recommend 4K mode on 1080p TV's for Tomb Raider? I know I can try both but I would prefer to just choose one going in and not stress about what I'm missing or if I made the right choice. I was planning on going in with Enhanced Mode, but the early response of people is causing me to reconsider.
4k is sharper and in some cases more detailed in textures, but then Enhanced Mode adds a load of stuff too and is more detailed by that definition, High FR is just standard PS4 @60fps

icespide

Banned

the shimmering and aliasing in the 1080p enhanced mode just kills it for me, if I'm going for pretty I will stick with the 4k downsampled mode.

personally I'm going with the high frame rate mode because it holds up pretty well

Top one looks natural & the bottom looks oversaturated and cartoon like but has the better picture.

2Nd pic looks really overblown in every possible way.
You should start from a neutral picture and tweak it to your liking. For you,I'd say to first increase contrast a bit, lower brightness and add some saturation. But game modes generally burn everything.

I agree in that the image is a bit saturated, but have to argue that it does look great/better in person. Another thing to note would be the setup of your own displays when viewing the images. When viewing the screens on my PC with game mode on, they end up looking really over saturated. That being said, I will tweak further! Thought I'd bring up the point that those buying new displays should definitely look into calibrating them!

Edit: It seems that game mode on my monitor enables an ASUS feature called "Splendid" and Standard mode disables it. Standard's description says it's for editing documents, so that explains the lack of color.

SeanR1221

So the answer I'm getting on reddit is to prevent the blank screen from appearing I need to go into safe mode and turn off HDCP?

Is this right? Wouldn't that prevent me from using video apps?

This is on the KS8000. A very popular tv around here. I can't possibly be the only one with the problem.

I'm on the verge of chucking this PS4 pro back at GameStop and selling all my games and getting an Xbox

Posted for a new page. Anyone???

TheZink

Mine is pretty quite. Playing Uncharted 4 and pausing the menu then going to the dash on my PS4 sounded like a freight train. When I do the same on the Pro I can here but it's much quieter and much more of a pleasant sound.

ktroopa

im a bit confused about the downsampling that the pro offers. to simplify what display setting should you be using on the pro if you have a 1080p tv - 1080p or 4K resolution?

Fox1304

I agree in that the image is a bit saturated, but have to argue that it does look great/better in person. Another thing to note would be the setup of your own displays when viewing the images. When viewing the screens on my PC with game mode on, they end up looking really over saturated. That being said, I will tweak further! Thought I'd bring up the point that those buying new displays should definitely look into calibrating them!
Yeah definitely. I made the,mistake by the past to be "charmed" by the oversaturated modes, but that's something you come back from very quickly. Wether it's a skin tone, some missing details, or juste completely unrealistic colors, I've always found it better to start slow on the changes, and check different scenes/contents each time on a step by step method.

SeanR1221

You using the out of the box HDMI cable? I was getting a black screen on my first boot up with my KS8000, had to unplug it a few times to get it to show up and make my way through the first boot process.

Yup. I'm going to try a new hdmi. I've tried unplugging a few times.

The hdmi I was using on my PS4 could display HDR games just fine. So it should be ok on the pro

w0s

Does anyone know if a normal 3 prong power cord will work? I usually have a setup in my living room that I can just take it from the bedroom and have the cords ready to go. I noticed when setting it up it is the normal 3 prong size but only has two. i realize the 3rd is just a ground but not sure if it will still work.

Bloodsent

Yup. I'm going to try a new hdmi. I've tried unplugging a few times.

The hdmi I was using on my PS4 could display HDR games just fine. So it should be ok on the pro

Could be a bandwidth issue with the cable you used on your OG PS4 though, as 4K requires more bandwidth than 1080p.

Tubie

R&C looks incredible.

kreygasm.png

c00l3ru

Spent about 20+ mins calibrating after I switched it on.

Worth. It.
Yes. I did the same yesterday. I think people aren't seeing as big of an impact because of this. HDR has to be calibrated to get the best results. And the difference can literally be night and day. And I'm still getting blown away by UC4 even though this is my 3rd play through. Just completed the famous chase sequence and all can say is fucking WOW WOW WOW.

I wonder if there will be a serious uptick on sales of older games that have been patched?

Might motivate some other devs/publishers to patch more games.

I just bought Ratchet and Clank off psn because it's dirt cheap at the moment (Europe).

Anecdotal I know (also I don't get my pro til my friend visits me with it next month, stupid Sony Mexico).

Yeah definitely. I made the,mistake by the past to be "charmed" by the oversaturated modes, but that's something you come back from very quickly. Wether it's a skin tone, some missing details, or juste completely unrealistic colors, I've always found it better to start slow on the changes, and check different scenes/contents each time on a step by step method.

I'll take your word for it :)) I'm starting to make my own preset now and actually found out what's up with my monitor! I edited my post, but I'll just quote myself here:

Karspankey said:
Edit: It seems that game mode on my monitor enables an ASUS feature called "Splendid" and Standard mode disables it. Standard's description says it's for editing documents, so that explains the lack of color.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I haven't opened mine yet because my fiance thinks we don't need it, citing those negative articles from DF today.

martino

Pro can max out my adsl connexion (og have never done that)
Was HDD bandwidth that bad it was the limiting factor ?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You should keep it, if you enjoy it and he ends up being okay with it. The Pro will be awesome to have with FFXV!

He saw the news about SE putting out an even better Pro patch in December and is really hung up on that for some reason, lol.

No, I just have to convince him that he's not getting the whole picture here.

Because he is not. Compare the launched games and then the count of games with issues, that could get fixed with ease.

It's still a new console, kinda, there was never a console release with perfect working games. At least I can't think of one.

klier

Took me 8 hours for 350gb yesterday and it wasn't wifi, both consoles were connected to the router.

Took me around 20 mins for 100 gig.

Would do it again.

And I actually did because I missed some things and you loose everything you had already installed when you do it again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Because he is not. Compare the launched games and then the count of games with issues, that could get fixed with ease.

It's still a new console, kinda, there was never a console release with perfect working games. At least I can't think of one.

How many games have issues? TLOU, Deus Ex...? It sounds like most of the stuff that just launched seems fine but the older stuff has some quirks.

Top Bottom