• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

RuhRo

So how do the graphical upgrades work? Do you have to turn them of in a menu or are they passive upgrades?

Varies by game - In Deus Ex a prompt comes up telling you your TV supports HDR and giving you the option to toggle it on or off. There are games like Tomb Raider with multiple configurations of Pro enhancements. However, most of the games I've tried are completely passive. With Dishonored 2 I couldn't even tell you what' it's doing differently, if anything, on Pro.

RuhRo

I'd say some PSVR games. R&C has insanely clean IQ.

But TBH only major performance upgrades are what I would label as "mind blowing". The IQ improvements are nice, but in many PS4 games the IQ was already acceptable.

Too bad some of the games that would benfit the most of a patch aren't getting it, I'm looking at you BB and DS3.

So glad FFXV is getting a boost in performance at some point.

Which PSVR games? I have almost all of them except Robinson (due to bad reviews). I haven't tried any in Pro mode yet, however.

JaguarCROW

I have an LG OLED (65G6P ) and just started trying to play some games on the new PS4 Pro and I have been experiencing lots of disconnect and reconnects of the video signal. I have tried connecting directly to the TV and going through my Denon (x6200W) receiver both of which support 4k HDR (HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support) but I keep getting connect and reconnects. Anyone else experience this? (I have tried both with the supplied HDMI cable with the PS4 pro and with a Blue Jeans certified HDMI Premium High Speed cable and getting the issue. This is very annoying and renders games virtually unplayable.

I have tried both a PS4 slim (and my original PS4 launch model) in the same setup without any of these issues. Anyone else have a similar setup and not having any trouble (indicating my PS4 pro might be defective) or I am hoping that others are having this issue as well and this is just a software issue with bad HDMI negotiating going on with the PS4 Pro and will be quickly fixed with a System update.

(Note System information indicates display supports 3840 x 2160 with 2k/4k HDR , HDCP 2.2 support)

sniffy

Neo Member
The Pro is such a beautifully engineered device, it's a shame developers are doing such a piss poor job of using it so far.

Particularly for those with 1080p screens, in the case of games like Skyrim, what is the point of downsampling from 4K? Why not downsample from 1800p and turn some settings up so it's more of a like for like with PC? Such a massive waste of the consoles power that could be better spent improving the IQ in a much more noticeable way.

Ellite25

Man Ratchet looks great on the Pro but the framerate is troubling. The heavier action sections take a big, noticeable hit. It's pretty bad honestly.

Ammogeddon

I have an LG OLED (65G6P ) and just started trying to play some games on the new PS4 Pro and I have been experiencing lots of disconnect and reconnects of the video signal. I have tried connecting directly to the TV and going through my Denon (x6200W) receiver both of which support 4k HDR (HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support) but I keep getting connect and reconnects. Anyone else experience this? (I have tried both with the supplied HDMI cable with the PS4 pro and with a Blue Jeans certified HDMI Premium High Speed cable and getting the issue. This is very annoying and renders games virtually unplayable.

I have tried both a PS4 slim (and my original PS4 launch model) in the same setup without any of these issues. Anyone else have a similar setup and not having any trouble (indicating my PS4 pro might be defective) or I am hoping that others are having this issue as well and this is just a software issue with bad HDMI negotiating going on with the PS4 Pro and will be quickly fixed with a System update.

(Note System information indicates display supports 3840 x 2160 with 2k/4k HDR , HDCP 2.2 support)

I'm having the same issue mate and we're not alone. There are one or two articles about it.

http://gametransfers.com/ps4-pro-how-to-fix-the-black-screen/

I had seen somewhere else that it could be the deep colour setting. I had manually put this on after a friend recommended it but I think I'll switch it off and see what happens.

mileS

Man Ratchet looks great on the Pro but the framerate is troubling. The heavier action sections take a big, noticeable hit. It's pretty bad honestly.

It's the new AA and motion blur IMO. Was playing before and after the recent patch that changed the AA and motion blur. (normal PS4)

This is absurd for what is marketed as a premium product.

i haven't experienced this at all. And most who've posted in the Rachet thread seemingly haven't been having problems either, other than those complaining it's not 60fps. Or complaining about subjective stuff like their motion blur which plenty of people like.

Absurd seems a bit much when a lot of people seem to be liking how it's performing.

Been playing some Knack last night on high framerate mode, but I noticed a lot of micro stuttering in some area's. The framerate also doesn't seem very consistent. Kinda disappointing.

black070

Been playing some Knack last night on high framerate mode, but I noticed a lot of micro stuttering in some area's. The framerate also doesn't seem very consistent. Kinda disappointing.

I'm downloading it now, but from what I hear - it hasn't actually been patched for the Pro yet, is that true ?

photogaz

Well my PS4 Pro turned up on Thursday. Drive is making a clicking noise and won't take discs. Tried everything.

Amazon ran out of stock and now says a replacement won't be available until next week. Really gutted.

I tried to see if it was an eject disc problem (even though there's no disc in there). However, I can't find the force eject on the PS4 pro, where is it?

black070

Also to note - for whatever reason, games actually look much better running on HDR mode on an 8-bit panel then they do on the base PS4 running with it on. I had my base connected to my LG screen which would display games way too dark, but when I connected my Pro to do some gaming in the other room, it looked beautiful. It actually wasn't until half an hour or so in that I'd realised I hadn't turned HDR off. Ofcourse it doesn't compare to a 10-bit panel, but it did look better then HDR toggled off, I tested this with Ratchet & Clank, The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4.

Benefits of HDMI 2.0 ?

Toxa

clean as fuck

15003272_10211125896010308_2611975080894010164_o.jpg

14939956_10211126790152661_438247433544631597_o.jpg

15039463_10211126789672649_4823414277830061938_o.jpg

15016150_10211126789712650_1953450436656255546_o.jpg

sorry facebook compression

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
For now the most impressing visual update and improvements are found in PARAGON. Honestly it looks like another game.

I have the 65C6P and not having any trouble so far, although I've only played maybe 2 hours.

Is Fallout 4 on PS4 patched up? I ended up eventually grabbing the game on PC again, but I did have the season pass on PS4 and I never got around to playing the story based DLCs.

Haven't seen many reports on PS4 Pro performance for Fallout, but know it was one of the game that was promising to update. It's not exactly a visually great game, even on PC, but I still am wondering if it visually polishes up enough to maybe revisit DLC here in the near future.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably a placebo effect but was playing MWR in split screen with my bro and I was popping off everything from far away, I could see everything
1080p Aswell not even 4k

black070

Is Fallout 4 on PS4 patched up? I ended up eventually grabbing the game on PC again, but I did have the season pass on PS4 and I never got around to playing the story based DLCs.

Haven't seen many reports on PS4 Pro performance for Fallout, but know it was one of the game that was promising to update. It's not exactly a visually great game, even on PC, but I still am wondering if it visually polishes up enough to maybe revisit DLC here in the near future.

No ETA yet unfortunately.

TLZ

Banned
Each tv will be different. Try googling especially on forums like AVforums and the like. There no use me giving you settings for my tv as each tv will need to be calibrated differently.

Oh I do have my TV calibrated with a disc I used. No worries there.

I just wanted to know what your TV and settings were as I'm curious how you're praising Infamous First Light and not think it looks dark.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I hope that games not hitting 60fps on 1080p remains a minority. It was probably naive, but 60 fps was the major reason I upgraded. It is nice to see Battlefield getting 60, Titanfall 2 is the same right?

DieH@rd

Banned
Tinúviel;224155782 said:
Can i invite you to a moment of silence for no The Order 1886 patch for Pro.

It's an old 2nd party game so that makes the things problematic, but also Order1886 is a very carefully visually crafted game, adding HDR would probably mess up the the colors and feel of the enviroments the devs intended to make.

In following years we will get games that are made with HDR in mind from the start.

I think it is a shame they didn't make the Pro backwards compatible with PS3 games. I am really on the fence about buying a Pro or getting an Xbox One and the allure of being able to play a bunch of 360 games looks pretty good :/

Knight77

I set everything and I get right resolution, hdcp 2.2, full RGB 4:4:4 but when I tried the youtube app I got 4K video downscaled to 1080p and not HDR, any idea about this? Probably I won't use Youtube on PS4 Pro but I was just curious to try a HDR video with it...

SeanR1221

The biggest difference on infamous first light is the lighting using HDR. When turned off it looks overly bright and it's like looking at the sun or the glow is too over powering.

It's a much more natural lighting when using HDR.

Meh, not a massive improvement overall. I'd say if you have a PS4 and you don't have a 4K screen, just hold off. I'm not noticing huge improvements.

I did have an issue with it shutting down when I unplugged my USB cable from the controller. That was not very cool.

You didn't accidentally press the power button while unplugging the USB cable? Seems like an easy thing to do.

EDIT: Oh, you unplugged it from the controller? Never mind then.

c00l3ru

Oh I do have my TV calibrated with a disc I used. No worries there.

I just wanted to know what your TV and settings were as I'm curious how you're praising Infamous First Light and not think it looks dark.
As far as I'm aware TV calibration discs such as Disney WOW: World of Wonder, Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics and the like have no HDR content to calibrate they only calibrate for HD sets but I could be wrong though. So you might have your tv calibrated perfectly for movies and normal SD games but HDR is a completely different animal.
But what you definitely need to do on all HDR sets is ramp up your backlight to 100%. But like I said before there is absolutely no point in me giving you my settings as each tv is different even TVs by the same manufacturer are different let alone by other manufacturers.

Yeah, it's a case of the first batch of 4K screens using older HDMI but it's weird, did you try his steps? Because HDMI 1.4 should presumably be okay for 4K/30

I have no idea if it will work for that particular monitor but I think it really might be worth give that safe mode process to restrict it to HDMI 1.4 and/or also HDCP 1.4 a try if you're considering keeping that monitor to at least try to get 4K working if you want, since the process came up again here:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/11/13600900/ps4-pro-4k-hdr-settings-guide-how-to

Yeah, nothing works. I tried port 1, port 2. Safe mode. HDCP off, HDCP on auto, HDCP on 1.4. Different HDMI cables.

This is my monitors official website:
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing...-with-high-glossy-black-finish-lu28e590ds-za/

It even says : You can connect multiple Ultra HD devices, like PCs and gaming consoles, to the UE590. There are two HDMI inputs as well as one Display Port input on the back panel. Enjoy upgraded HDMI support with an upgraded HDMI (v2.0) that supports UHD resolutions at a 60Hz refresh rate, so 4K content plays smoothly without delay.

Could it be the PS4 Pro's fault? That for some reason it's assuming a TV can't do 4k when it can?

I mean, ultimately I was always planning on getting an HDR set. So I could use this TV for my PC and get a Sony XBR800D for the Pro. But still, it pisses me off that I can't figure out what's wrong.

TVexperto

Im thinking about returning the ps pro, its so much louder like my OG PS4. I just put the disc in and am still in the ps menu and its so loud like a fan. i started my og ps4 and its so much quieter..bad job sony

Is it maybe a broken PS4 Pro or are other people experiencing the same extreme loud fan noise?

So how do the graphical upgrades work? Do you have to turn them of in a menu or are they passive upgrades?

The 4k output is passive. Regardless if you have a 4k tv or a 1080p tv (supersampling).

Some games have distinct modes. Like instead of 4k, you can do 1080p at 60 fps. This of course can be chosen in the game's video option settings.

c00l3ru

Im thinking about returning the ps pro, its so much louder like my OG PS4. I just put the disc in and am still in the ps menu and its so loud like a fan. i started my og ps4 and its so much quieter..bad job sony

Is it maybe a broken PS4 Pro or are other people experiencing the same extreme loud fan noise?
Mines a lot quieter than my OG ps4. But I think it's a lottery to be honest. If I were you I'd exchange it.

I think my buddy has this, he had to plug it into HDMI 2 but it worked. Like the other guy said make sure to use the HDMI provided by Sony. It must work.

Only played BF1 so far but man its smooth and its always "1080p", I don't notice it going blurry at times like OG. Already worth the purchase, but I'm excited to try U4 MP in full 1080p.

Yup. I don't get it. Should I factory restore my PS4 Pro. Maybe it's because did a hardrive transfer from my base PS4 to the Pro.

breakfuss

Yea...playing the Last of Us and my Pro's fan is certainly audible. I'm not sure I'd define it is as loud but it's NOT quiet. Damn that's disappointing. Why can't they get this right? I've read it's because of the internal PSU. I'd take a power brick over this any day though just so the thing could be quiet.

Ferr986

Mines a lot quieter than my OG ps4. But I think it's a lottery to be honest. If I were you I'd exchange it.

Seems pretty much a persistent case with all PS4 models.

My OG PS4 is kinda loud, but far way quieter than those hair dryes I keep seeing on Youtube. I expect the PRO to be the same, some will be more noisy than others.

Angel_DvA

Can someone link me what power cable I have to buy for the Pro ? I want to put cables in my bedroom and just take the console without removing all the cable I have hidden in my living room, thank you so much.

My pro's fan is super loud. And it keeps losing the connection to the tv. I thought it might be a dodgy HDMI cable so I tried a different one, but it keeps doing, and I have to keep taking it out and plugging it back.

viHuGi

Banned

It did the same on OG Ps4 if you push the engine, beat the game get all weapons and start the show on Demanding scenes it will it 20s.

Also people still don't use phones these days? Damn I rather not play video games than play without phones. So console can be loud af I don't care.

kikonawa

I think it is a shame they didn't make the Pro backwards compatible with PS3 games. I am really on the fence about buying a Pro or getting an Xbox One and the allure of being able to play a bunch of 360 games looks pretty good :/
I think forgot about that ever coming to ps4

It's not the product, it's on the developers to make sure the games look AND run well. Both BF1 and RotTR are fucking awesome on Pro and way better than their PS4 counterparts in both departments. Blame Insomniac if the game runs like shit.

Top Bottom