• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

theDeeDubs

My pro has bad coil while whenever I play a game. Its the worst on MWRemasterd. Anyone else having this issue?

Pretty sure this is what my high pitched "whir" I'm hearing is. It's quite distracting and annoying. I've only tried Ratchet, Deus Ex, and Skyrim so far though, but they all make it do it.

I've started Transformers to check how loud it would be with non patched game and it was whisper silent to the point where I can hear hard drive spinning.
Then Infamous FLwith 30 fps cap - it gets noisy
Put anything with near 4K and unlocked framerate - console sounds like mine launch unit.

DieH@rd

Banned
Probably been asked a thousand times:

Do I have to manually download patches for pro enabled games or are they updated automatically?

Danke

Everything between base PS4 and PS4 Pro is unified. Same games, same patches, same savegames, same online servers, same gameplay modes*. The only difference is in visuals and framerate. Just play the games and control the OS as you are used to from before, and it will work.

*Old SDK leaks mentioned that Pro can get gameplay changes in off-line mods, like larger number of coop players.

Titanfall 2 already contains the enhancements on disc? Or am I missing an update that my PS4 Pro just hasn't queued properly?

You can manually check. Go to the game icon, Options button on DS4 > Check for updates. Also you can see Update History and see what patches are already installed.

Pretty sure this is what my high pitched "whir" I'm hearing is. It's quite distracting and annoying. I've only tried Ratchet, Deus Ex, and Skyrim so far though, but they all make it do it.

yeah sounmds like the same issue im having. Taking it back today to swap it for a new one. Ill report back and see if the new one does the same.

noomi

If I game on a 1080p screen, does downsampling kick in automatically or is there some system setting I need to change for this to work.

Maybe the setting is in-game for supported games? Or perhaps under video in the console settings?

Just curious so I know what to expect when I get it the following week.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If I game on a 1080p screen, does downsampling kick in automatically or is there some system setting I need to change for this to work.

Maybe the setting is in-game for supported games? Or perhaps under video in the console settings?

Just curious so I know what to expect when I get it the following week.

It happens automatically, you don't have to do anything.

Dunlop

Getting this on Tuesday. Anyone who games on a 1080p screen, what's your impressions so far?

I've just played TF2 since getting it last night (I am re downloading everything) and the games looks great....but I don't know if it is a placebo effect lol.

The system itself seems quieter than my original PS4 but it definately spits out a lot of heat

Kamina

Golden Boy
Did anyone try Youtube in 4k yet?
I have the system set to 2160p and HDCP is 2.2, yet the 4k videos domt go beyond 1440p when you enable the cideo infos.
The Bandwidth is available, so i don't understand what the problem is.

Juice

Man, my backup of my OG PS4 to a USB 3 HDD took 13 hours (1.6TB).

Timed when I'd wake up this morning so I could trigger the restore and have some time to play this weekend. Blah

So--no one cares but I feel like I have to update GAF on my terrible situation.

I tried over half a dozen times to transfer all sorts of ways (wired directly and signed in via wifi, connected through router, etc.) and it kept failing on the transfer page, saying it timed out. So that was an absolute nightmare.

I decided to just do a backup. I borrowed a 128GB flash drive from my downstairs neighbor and spent an hour backing up my data. Then I took the drive, put it in Pro, and tried to restore it.

It told me the data was fucking corrupted. Fucking. CORRUPTED.

So I wiped it and tried again. Another hour. More corrupted data.

I'm about ready to lose my mind. What could I possibly do? I have to transfer otherwise I lose P.T., all my capture recordings, and my settings over five users.

What can I possibly do?

DOWN

Banned
Do y'all play games at super low volume? I can't hear the Pro fans in my games over the music and ambient sounds

Psykotik

I tried over half a dozen times to transfer all sorts of ways (wired directly and signed in via wifi, connected through router, etc.) and it kept failing on the transfer page, saying it timed out. So that was an absolute nightmare.

I decided to just do a backup. I borrowed a 128GB flash drive from my downstairs neighbor and spent an hour backing up my data. Then I took the drive, put it in Pro, and tried to restore it.

I'm about ready to lose my mind. What could I possibly do? I have to transfer otherwise I lose P.T., all my capture recordings, and my settings over five users.

What can I possibly do?

try rebuilding your database first before doing the backup/transfer.

Trojan

Finally got my data transferred to the Pro and fired it up. Happy with the purchase so far, especially because my Battlefield 1 performance & look are a significant bump up.

SToRM

I wan't planning on buying a Pro soon, but yesterday I saw a deal I couldn't resist (379 euro with CoD included). So far very happy with the purchase, the transfer from my old PS4 was a breeze. I mainly bought it for VR and I got the impression that Driveclub VR looks and runs better?

I've been getting lowball offers on the offerup app (similar to craigslist). One guy wanted to trade his BMX bike for it lol. And it doesn't help that black Friday deals will have a $250 slim bundle available soon. I'm leaning on trading it to gamestop for $150 credit since this is the best offer right now. Best buy is $120 and Amazon is around $140. The problem is I bought my ps4 pro from target and idk the best way to flip gamestop credit.

Not sure if this is still the case but you could buy Amazon Kindle gift cards at Gamestop that actually work for anything on Amazon and not just ebooks.

I wan't planning on buying a Pro soon, but yesterday I saw a deal I couldn't resist (379 euro with CoD included). So far very happy with the purchase, the transfer from my old PS4 was a breeze. Mainly bought it for VR and I got the impression that Driveclub VR looks and runs better?

You'd be wrong about that, the Driveclub VR patch is negligible.

However, RIGS and Playroom VR, which I've tried, are significantly better. I'm sure other games are too.

bboris77

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure you don't have a defective unit. Just seems to be the way it is.

I have the same whirring which is basically either a power supply or gpu coil whine. It actually sounds like a very small fan running or a hard drive chirping but it is not since I have a SSD in there. I think they all have it to some degree. This is a downside of having all that power crammed into a a relatively small case with no outside power brick.

Once the fan kicks in, it completely masks this sound. And I have my PS4 Pro very close to me since I game on a computer monitor. I would say unless it is very loud, keep it.

So i bought the pro yesterday and traded in my launch ps4, all my saves are in the cloud but it appears I can only place my saves on the new system if I install the games where the saves are from? Is that correct? Thats sort of a hassle.

GazzaGSi

So i bought the pro yesterday and traded in my launch ps4, all my saves are in the cloud but it appears I can only place my saves on the new system if I install the games where the saves are from? Is that correct? Thats sort of a hassle.

I remember this problem from a while ago. I finished infamous second son so uploaded the save and deleted the game. When infamous first light came out there was some bonuses for having/completing second son and first light new this from your save data so I went to download the save but it wouldn't because I didn't have second son installed.

SToRM

You'd be wrong about that, the Driveclub VR patch is negligible.

However, RIGS and Playroom VR, which I've tried, are significantly better. I'm sure other games are too.
The framerate for Driveclub looks a lot smoother and the dashboard in the cockpit view is finally legible (which wasn't possible on the PS4?).

Taking me forever to download all my games from PSN. I took my 2TB HDD out my PS4 and have 200mb broadband with no traffic shaping and still PSN is chugging along so slowly. It started off not too bad where I had 3 games downloading at once but now it will only let me do 2 and they are downloading at less than a 1MB a second for some reason PC and Xbox seem fine and make full use of my broadband connection just PSN that's running very slowly at the minute it seems

I remember this problem from a while ago. I finished infamous second son so uploaded the save and deleted the game. When infamous first light came out there was some bonuses for having/completing second son and first light new this from your save data so I went to download the save but it wouldn't because I didn't have second son installed.

I'm not really excited of the prospect of installing 60 or so games...

w0s

Getting this on Tuesday. Anyone who games on a 1080p screen, what's your impressions so far?
I like it but I was in need of an upgrade. I guess mileage varies but mine is way quieter. Titanfall looks really nice and clean as does ratchet. Truth be told though just like a new console generation I think it's worth will play out 6-12 months from now for the most part.

I have a question to people who have a Pro and a Samsung TV with HDR: Do you use dynamic contrast?

I'm really unsure what I prefer. It really pops with it on high, but I also maybe feel that the effect is a bit exaggerated. But with it turned off it's a bit dark. This is not the HDR setting as far I've understood it, what does this effect actually do? I would like to play the games as they were intended basically, but I can't decided if I like it on or off so if someone could tell me the "correct" setting I would be happy :p

(I have a JS9005 55 inch, but I think most of their newer TVs have this setting)

Same is true if you put the saves on a USB drive. The system will not let you copy them over unless the game is installed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

What can I possibly do?

You've deleted all non essential data like disc games or things you could otherwise re-download?

Marvel

could never
I have a question to people who have a Pro and a Samsung TV with HDR: Do you use dynamic contrast?

I'm really unsure what I prefer. It really pops with it on high, but I also maybe feel that the effect is a bit exaggerated. But with it turned off it's a bit dark. This is not the HDR setting as far I've understood it, what does this effect actually do? I would like to play the games as they were intended basically, but I can't decided if I like it on or off so if someone could tell me the "correct" setting I would be happy :p

(I have a JS9005 55 inch, but I think most of their newer TVs have this setting)
I have it on max, but the brightness and backlight settings have to be just right so it looks ok. Otherwise I either keep it off or leave it on medium.

Depends on the scenes too.

Yopis

I did in the beginning. Sat down and kept playing with settings. I can't stand it now. Looked up at the sun in UC4. With dynamic contrast on, could barely make out the circle of the sun in the light glow. With off you get the layers of color and can see each level if that makes sense.

Might seem darker but you get more depth and now that I've adjusted looks normal. I do turn on for Anime though.

If you're not installing the game isn't it best to leave the save in the cloud so it's not taking up storage room on your HDD?

Kinda, but what if i decide to stop with plus somewhere down the road? I guess its just a voice in my head telling me that my saves arent on my ps4 that irritates me. And its not like they take up a lot of space either. Wouldve been nice to just have the option to dl them all

Top Bottom