• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Lady Gaia

Isn't every game from now on required to have some kind of Pro improvements? Or did that turn out to be false? Not sure if Sony ever confirmed that or if it was just a part of the leak from a while ago.

You're misremembering the leak. As described, every game would be required to submit for certification with the new SDK and be certified in the console's Pro mode. That doesn't mean the game needs 4K support, it just means the hardware runs with the full GPU resources and higher clock speeds enabled. I see no reason why Sony would relax this, so every new game should be different on Pro — they're just not guaranteed to have amazing, smooth IQ from supersampling.

How a developer uses the more capable hardware is up to them, except for the leaked requirement that 1080p be used as the minimum resolution.

I don't know where else to ask this, but is there a setting to treat the controller as a wired controller?

I play on a monitor so the PS4 is right beside me. I'd rather just plug the controller in and play it like that, and not have it constantly charge over and over

PSVR, Pro, and Sony 4KTV in the last 31 days. Fecken Sony have more of my money than I do.
I hear you, man. I'm in the same boat only I bought a Samsung KS8000 instead of a Sony model. I still have games I want to buy like R&C and Infamous after reading through this thread but my wallet is crying.

So, PS4 PRO is the real deal?

I'd say it is.

The image quality the Pro outputs is nothing short of superb, especially with HDR. I have a 4k TV but I'm sure it looks great on 1080p TV's too, plus with games like Rise of the Tomb Raider running at 50-60fps and Battlefield running at a much more constant 60fps and higher resolutions, the Pro speaks for itself really, its a great upgrade for the money.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can anybody tell me what improvements does shadow of mordor have for the pro?

2 modes.

Prefer Quality and Prefer Resolution.

Prefer Quality locks it at 1080p with 'enhanced effects' (which personally I haven't noticed much) and Prefer Resolution as per the game description runs the game dynamically at 4K resolution.

I much prefer the 4K resolution. The boost in clarity is much more obvious. The game's IQ is pristine as fuck.

HooYaH

It's most likely the cable. I'm having the same issues on my 65" LG B6 from my Denon x4300h. Try without HDR / Wide Color, and I bet you'll no longer get the drops. Are you running a longer, more than 15' HDMI cable? That seems to be the issue, at least in my testing. I need 25' of in-wall HDMI cable to reach my components.

Try an active HDMI cable and see if that helps. I have one on order, but won't make it in until 9pm tonight. Really hoping that fixes my random disconnects.

I had this problem too with my Xbox S and Pro. I needed at least 30 ft to reach my components and Active from Monoprice did help over Passive. As for the Pro, even with Active, I do get disconnects. It was remedied by setting the Pro to YUV only. I don't think it has enough consistent bandwidth over the length of the cable to do 4K RGB.

Impulsor

2 modes.

Prefer Quality and Prefer Resolution.

Prefer Quality locks it at 1080p with 'enhanced effects' (which personally I haven't noticed much) and Prefer Resolution as per the game description runs the game dynamically at 4K resolution.

I much prefer the 4K resolution. The boost in clarity is much more obvious. The game's IQ is pristine as fuck.
Awesome. How does The framerate hold up at 4K?

btkadams

I haven't used my PS4 since last night. It's in rest mode. I went to turn it on but it stays yellow and just does 3 quick beeps every time I press the power button. I felt it and it's quite hot near the back (how is it hot in rest mode???). It's in a ventilated area.

Any help?

Just got mine from Target for 360 and some change.

Going to back up my data now and possibly send head to Gamestop to trade in my PS4 (I could keep the 2TB in there for some lucky person if they accept it)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Awesome. How does The framerate hold up at 4K?

Holds up like a charm. Have not noticed a single drop in the 8~ hours I've played so far. I don't have a measuring stick but based on some youtube videos, the loading times are definitely faster on the stock 1TB drive on Pro as well.

So it's a definite win win.

So my worst fears have been confirmed. I bought an Uncharted 4 PS4 after my first PS4 was having bad issues and I also got a 2TB from Amazon. I installed the hard drive to the new PS4 and everything was fine but I kept hearing loud whines or chirps from the system. I thought it was the system itself but I decided to not do anything about it since I was getting the Pro anyway. Sold the other PS4, got the Pro, and inserted the 2TB that I bought before. After a session of MWR, the chirp came back. Finally I realized after researching again that it was the hard drive itself. Now how to fix it.

PSVR, Pro, and Sony 4KTV in the last 31 days. Fecken Sony have more of my money than I do.

:lol

In the last 30 days for me its been the same.
PSVR Mega Bundle
PS4 Pro
Samsung KS7000
Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Christmas has come early, but my wallet looks at me as though I've gone fucking mad.

harz-marz

Quick question for a potential buyer - my ps4 can't be traded in since I opened it to replace thermal paste and dust it out. I don't mind but how easy is it to have two ps4 systems and use both seamlessly in different rooms of the house?

It might be nice to have it in the living room and use it for psvue or Netflix and some light gaming.

No way this sells as many as standard ps4 did, now that the slim is a cheap alternative

I think you misunderstood me. 1-2 million WW by the end of the year. It's not going to outsell Slim. And I was mentioning OG PS4 because of the fiscal reports. E.g. it did 18.5 mil last year, expected to do 20 mil this year. So part of that increase must be the Pro.

Arc07

Okay I'm completely lost. The only game that runs at 4K for me is Thumper. TLoU, AC4 and the new FFXV demo all run at 1080p. I've tried setting the resolution to 2160p-YUV (my current TV does not support 2160p-RGB) and Auto. HDCP is enabled in the system settings. 30 fps is set on TLoU.

This is my number one fear of upgrading that somehow the unpatchEd games will have issues that need patches to address and those patches will be slow to come.

There is nothing wrong with GTA V, lol. The game drops frames alllllll the time. Un-patched games will literally play exactly like the OG PS4. One of the biggest reasons games need a patch is so backwards compatibility can be maintained.

ViciousDS

Banned
Holy shit, Fifa looks amazing.

Fuck.....I'm seeing this comment a lot and it's making me want to go get it!!!!

I really wish gen I go from my 4K display to my monitor when I'm traveling that it would tell you in the options if it's running in Pro mode. Last night the only way to tell I was running in Pro mode on my monitor at my cousins house was that his grass had some serious jaggy issues in modern warfare remastered while everything in my game was insanely clean and smooth

Okay I'm completely lost. The only game that runs at 4K for me is Thumper. TLoU, AC4 and the new FFXV demo all run at 1080p. I've tried setting the resolution to 2160p-YUV (my current TV does not support 2160p-RGB) and Auto. HDCP is enabled in the system settings. 30 fps is set on TLoU.
TLoU is the only one that is out of the ordinary. The others should still be upscaled but run at 1080p.

CyberChulo

I don't mean to gloat but holy shit with uncharted 4 and hdr. I spent about 20 minutes on sun baked islands bathing in natural light and then I turned off hdr and I couldn't believe how I said that pre hdr was some of the best graphics I've ever seen. All all the lush colors of the sand, sun and vegetation got reduced to dismal saturated puke colors when the color spectrum is reduced to "normal".

Broman1978

So just bought a Pro. Whats the recommended video settings now? I have my Xbox one S set to limited as recommended in the Xbox one thread. My TV supports HDR but I get input lag when playing games so I will probably have to have it off until LG fix it with an update.

So my worst fears have been confirmed. I bought an Uncharted 4 PS4 after my first PS4 was having bad issues and I also got a 2TB from Amazon. I installed the hard drive to the new PS4 and everything was fine but I kept hearing loud whines or chirps from the system. I thought it was the system itself but I decided to not do anything about it since I was getting the Pro anyway. Sold the other PS4, got the Pro, and inserted the 2TB that I bought before. After a session of MWR, the chirp came back. Finally I realized after researching again that it was the hard drive itself. Now how to fix it.
You're not going to be able to fix that without a new hard drive, in my opinion. A chirp is indication of a hardware issue. Hard drives usually have multi year warranties though, so it up the manufacturer.

omgkitty

Has anyone hooked up their PS4 bluetooth headset using the back USB plug? Wondering if it causes any interference issues not being in line of sight plus being more enclosed.

tommyguns

I don't mean to gloat but holy shit with uncharted 4 and hdr. I spent about 20 minutes on sun baked islands bathing in natural light and then I turned off hdr and I couldn't believe how I said that pre hdr was some of the best graphics I've ever seen. All all the lush colors of the sand, sun and vegetation got reduced to dismal saturated puke colors when the color spectrum is reduced to "normal".

I feel like with HDR and uncharted 4, with HDR on the colors look more 'natural'. Once turning it off they are overly vibrant looking. 'Unnatural' in comparison

DieH@rd

Banned
Top Bottom