• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

ok, sooo, stupid question...

I used an ethernet cable to transfer all the data (except the trophies of course) from one to the other. When doing that, it asked me if I wanted to make the new device my primary. I said yes. Now, at the "https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com" page, it says that I have only one ps4 activated. is this normal? can you only activate your primary?

You can only have 1 PS4 as your primary.

farisr

Friends were over and one of them brought COD IW. Playing splitscreen multiplayer (on a 1080p projector) sold him on the pro. Was under the impression, despite me telling him otherwise before, that the pro would not benefit 1080p displays. Refused to believe me cause I recently bought a 4ktv as well and the ebgames/best buy reps kept telling that this system is only good for 4k.

He found the splitscreen on the base ps4 to not be good so had basically stopped playing in that mode and took turns playing whenever someone was over. Now that the quality of splitscreen, even when blown up by the projector, stand up, he's selling his old one with some games and picking up the pro tomorrow.

He's one of those kinds of gamers that basically have a console to play cod or sports games.

Black Hat

Has there been any confirmation from Sony that all games MUST support PS4 Pro going forward?

I know it was in the initial leaked slides/info but haven't heard anything since then.

Does the Pro still have the same problem as the OG where full color in auto is glitched and needs to be set in full to get it to work?

When it comes to RGB range it's best to set it up specifically. TV's default to limited. PC monitors default to full.

So as long as you didn't mess with your TVs color range, it should be limited.

Set it to Full. You'll quickly know if you're getting black crush. And if that's the case, then set your PS4 to limited.

Docpan

Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

With everything set up correctly and UHD Color mode enabled on my Samsung TV, My Pro defaults to 2160p RGB mode. From my understanding this is optimal and everything looks and plays fine.

My problems occur when playing with the HDR mode in certain games.

Let's take First Light for example. When in HDR mode, the PS4 main menu is noticeably brighter, almost washed out in comparison. Is there another setting I need to change on my television to make HDR mode look proper? Or should I stick with standard RGB mode which looks fine to me

DBT85

Has there been any confirmation from Sony that all games MUST support PS4 Pro going forward?

I know it was in the initial leaked slides/info but haven't heard anything since then.
I've not seen them address it but tbh I'm not worried about it. Dear always like more power and to make their games look better. People were worried that PS4 would be held back by Xbone and that never happened either.

For 3rd party games that are already on PC adding in a pro option is just another option on the list. And you can be sure that 1st and 2nd Parry will support it. The only people that might not might be the small indies, but again most are on PC anyway.

NeonDelta

Man , does anyone have the LG49UH6030? It says it has HDR pro but going on the PS4 settings for video output it says it's not supported.. Any help?:( would love to play the last of us with HDR mode on

Turn off HDCP then adjust video settings then turn HDCP back on

Although when turning mine on this morning it's gone to a blank screen so I had to navigate blindly through the menus to turn it off and back on again

Anyone know what's causing this? I've used the hdmi cable that came with the ps4

According to the PlayStation forums LG are working on a patch, I'd suggest turning off HDCP before turning the PS4 off then enabling it after you turn it on

So I'm looking to replace the old 2TB I had in the Pro due to the system chirping and whining every so often. Lots of posters mentioned the Barracuda. Is it still a good one or are there betters? I'm not huge on SSDs.

T-0800

Played IW, TF2 and BF1 for about 5 minutes each on my 1080p tv. BF1 frame rate aside I can't really say the improved IQ is really jumping out at me but I'm just happy to have a new controller and a bigger hdd.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Played IW, TF2 and BF1 for about 5 minutes each on my 1080p tv. BF1 frame rate aside I can't really say the improved IQ is really jumping out at me but I'm just happy to have a new controller and a bigger hdd.

did you play the campaigns? that's where i saw the most noticeable difference.

Osla

Neo Member
My Pro died today.

From day 1 it had problems launching Netflix, all of a sudden the TV would say nothing was connected. Yesterday it started crashing when launching games or switching to a paused game.

Deactivated it as primary device, started the process of initializing it to cleanse it of all data before I went to bed, hoping it would miraculously be okay in the morning. But it was stuck initializing...

I did notice the power cable sits very loosely in the device, is that normal?

T-0800

did you play the campaigns? that's where i saw the most noticeable difference.

Played the campaign of IW and TW2. Like I said it was only 5 minutes each and the difference wasn't striking. Doesn't mean I won't appreciate it going forward though.

Shocked I'm saying this - but Deus Ex might be the most improved game by the pro. Night and day difference from the Xbox One version I rented before

I don't know if I have a bad memory but it seems to run smoother on average too. I know DF showed bigger drops in the first level but later parts and traversing the city it seems more enjoyable to play than on standard PS4.

Edit: Ok, forget it later Prague runs shit like on OG.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wonder why it can stream 1080p60 but not record it.

Maybe they can buffer 1080p/60 to memory temporarily before streaming so it doesn't have to hit the HDD, and 1080p/60 would be too much to record to the HDD and still leave enough performance for games. I think it's still a 5400rpm drive so general performance would be the same as OG PS4

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does having a Pro make any difference for image quality on Netflix or YouTube using a 1080p TV? I'm assuming no?

If it's running 4K internally does that mean you can play UHD content which will be downsampled to 1080p? The increased bitrate might improve the quality.

Grinchy

Banned
I've resigned myself to just directly swapping the HDMI cable until I need the PSVR again. After the last couple weeks, my time spent in VR has dwindled anyway. I also have this(likely unfounded) fear that the 1.4 HDCP signal that is forced by the pass-through does somehow limit the 4K experience compared to 2.2 when directly connected. I'd much rather play regular titles anyway.

Yeah, this is where I'm currently at, except my VR time is the majority of my gaming still. It's just so inconvenient to be playing a game, get a text asking if I want to play Battlezone, and now I'm on all fours, doggy-style, fucking with cables getting sunshine where the sun don't shine.

I wish Sony released two version of the Pro, 1TB version and for us that like to Install all our games and have their games ready to go all at once a 2TB version.

So If I buy one at the end of the week, what is a good 2TB HDD for the PS4 Pro?

I have a spare 1TB 840 EVO SSD(Patched)...should I just put that in and be done with it, how long do you think 1TB will last?

Hostile_18

Banned
Does the light strip at the front of the console start strong and then fade to nothing about two thirds of the way across? (Leaving 3-4 inches unlit).

I know that's how the old light strip worked but it looks strange for AV equipment lit up like that at the front of the machine but not all the way across or a consistent width.

J4g3r

My last hope lies on PSX, if it's not there, then it's completely dead. Although I have to admit, I already think the possibilty is dead.

Anyway, the front USB slots are rather poor, they needed to give us more space.

SIE Japan Studio are confirmed for PSX so I'm holding hope for a Bloodborne Pro patch and...

Wait for it...

DEEP DOWN.

Did Bloodborne get a Pro patch?

I couldn't get past how bad it performed at launch, so I never played much of it.

It did get a lot of patches, I started playing at 1.07 I believe and it's supposed to run better and not have atrocious loading times although I can't compare.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I said this before but you really need a point of reference unless you have a photographic memory
RotTR has different modes so it's easier to see
But if ya wanna see the difference in those games without options go to your captures
Although the image is still good you'll notice they was softer.
You are just assuming that it always looked like that when it didn't
The difference is like streamed HD vs Blu ray HD
Games that are 1080p by default are gonna be hard to tell if you can't see what it looked like before
Games running below 1080p on PS4 will stand out a mile

My Pro died today.

From day 1 it had problems launching Netflix, all of a sudden the TV would say nothing was connected. Yesterday it started crashing when launching games or switching to a paused game.

Deactivated it as primary device, started the process of initializing it to cleanse it of all data before I went to bed, hoping it would miraculously be okay in the morning. But it was stuck initializing...

I did notice the power cable sits very loosely in the device, is that normal?

Still stuck? Or has it now died completely?

Is GTA V getting a patch? Also is Until Dawn patched for the pro?

Probably not, unless Sony makes some kind of deal, and no.

The Pro is more of a "better stuff going forward" system than enhanced BC I think. I'd love for them to prove me wrong as PSX with a storm of announcements. That'd be great. But i don't expect it.

JamboGT

Have to say I have been really happy with my Pro so far, using a 1080 screen and the patched games are much smoother and cleaner, UI snappier and personally compared to my launch PS4 it is so much quieter! (My PS4 was loud to the point where I had been considering a C chassis before I found out about the Pro)

New controller seems more solidly built, no creaks from it!

Delighted so far.

T-0800

Found an issue with COD IW. On the map Frontier the bodies that float into the air are jerky on Pro. Not a big deal but it didn't do this before.

Tyaren

I hope so and I secretly hope The Witcher 3 will eventually get one too, even if they said it wouldn't. Maybe they change their mind, they have all the time of the world for it since no one is expecting it.

Moreche

I'm going to purchase a new Pro today and see how it performs better than my old one.
As much as I'm disappointed in the noise of my current one, I've over 300 PS4 games and it's just to much to walk away from.
I'm hoping the newer Pro isn't as loud as my old one. Personally I find the noise very disappointing because as a 1080p TV owner all I'm getting with SS is better AA.

DieH@rd

Banned

gXIG0rY.jpg

:-/

I'm going to purchase a new Pro today and see how it performs better than my old one.
As much as I'm disappointed in the noise of my current one, I've over 300 PS4 games and it's just to much to walk away from.
I'm hoping the newer Pro isn't as loud as my old one. Personally I find the noise very disappointing because as a 1080p TV owner all I'm getting with SS is better AA.

If by SS you mean Second Son, that game also has 60fps mode on Pro.
https://youtu.be/KRj3liwPqGI?t=352
https://youtu.be/Z5jk7Z4sqCk?t=38

Grinchy

Banned

My launch PS4 is genuinely silent. I only hear the disc drive when I boot up a disc-based game.

The Pro unit I've been using is very quiet as well, but when I tried Uncharted 4 on it, it's the loudest I've ever heard any PS4. That may mean it's still much more silent than you're used to from your loud unit, but for me with a whisper-quiet base PS4, it was surprising to hear.

f@luS

More than a member.
Man I just assumed that by the time the Pro released, we'd have a good solution. Everywhere I look, everyone has a different solution and then another person comments why that solution isn't good or won't work.

The ports on the back of the PS4 are incredibly difficult to get to and swapping cables every time for VR or HDR is just unacceptable IMO. Spending $40+ on a switch is incredibly shitty too, but if it works properly, I'd consider it.

Sony really fucked up on this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1304983
credit to myself (JK)

Chiggs

Gold Member
Did Bloodborne get a Pro patch?

I couldn't get past how bad it performed at launch, so I never played much of it.

It's performing worse than expected right now. This is either because of the Pro, or I'm just remembering it incorrectly.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Could someone kindly explain how the online save data works when using a new system, for example if I start a new game on my PS4 Pro will that automatically overwrite my old online save data? Because I think I just lost my Resogun Data :-(, I just assumed the game would automatically grab the old save data from the cloud, so I'm presuming you have to re-download your game/s, and then download your online save data to system first before starting the game as it might overwrite old save data?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shadow of Mordor in the "prefer resolution" option. Downsampled to 1080p by Pro itself. (running a 4K TV).

middle-earth_shadowofwlbo8.png

nguyen704

The Seagate 2TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive is a better drive. It's faster (7200rpm vs 5400rpm) and it is a bit cheaper.

If you don't need 2TB, you can go for something a little faster with less space, a 1TB SSHD:

Old version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
New version: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Firecuda-Gaming-Internal-ST1000LX015/dp/B01LWRTRZU

black070

Shadow of Mordor in the "prefer resolution" option. Downsampled to 1080p by Pro itself. (running a 4K TV).

middle-earth_shadowofwlbo8.png

I've been too busy with my backlog to check out Shadow of Mordor on the Pro yet, what are the options ? Higher framerate or resolution or just the latter ?

Dunlop

Could someone kindly explain how the online save data works when using a new system, for example if I start a new game on my PS4 Pro will that automatically overwrite my old online save data? Because I think I just lost my Resogun Data :-(, I just assumed the game would automatically grab the old save data from the cloud, so I'm presuming you have to re-download your game/s, and then download your online save data to system first before starting the game as it might overwrite old save data?
It shouldn't matter if you started the game, just download your cloud save. I did this for TitanFall 2 and Rocket league after I installed them

Top Bottom