• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Tomb Raider looks fantastic in 4k. Anyone know why it does not have HDR? Or will they be adding HDR to the game? That is the one thing that could really make it even better. I have been spending a lot of time switching between the modes, but hands down 4k is the best way to play and it just looks great.

Tomb Raider is weird. No format has HDR support for some reason but there's actually a blog on the NVIDIA site about the process of updating the engine to support it. I think if it was coming we would of got it by now though.

https://developer.nvidia.com/implementing-hdr-rise-tomb-raider May 12th 2016

Not sure what happened

Grinchy

Banned
im just using a coupler now, it can stay connected until i want to play VR, and when i do i can just unconnect them and plug them into the PU.

I tried using the sewell switch on the pro but it caused me a world of problems.

Man I just assumed that by the time the Pro released, we'd have a good solution. Everywhere I look, everyone has a different solution and then another person comments why that solution isn't good or won't work.

The ports on the back of the PS4 are incredibly difficult to get to and swapping cables every time for VR or HDR is just unacceptable IMO. Spending $40+ on a switch is incredibly shitty too, but if it works properly, I'd consider it.

Sony really fucked up on this.

DjRalford

Man I just assumed that by the time the Pro released, we'd have a good solution. Everywhere I look, everyone has a different solution and then another person comments why that solution isn't good or won't work.

The ports on the back of the PS4 are incredibly difficult to get to and swapping cables every time for VR or HDR is just unacceptable IMO. Spending $40+ on a switch is incredibly shitty too, but if it works properly, I'd consider it.

Sony really fucked up on this.

thats the beauty of a coupler, you don't need to get to the PS4 Ports, you just unplug the 2 HDMI from the back of the PSVR unit and connect them together.

rcl66

im just using a coupler now, it can stay connected until i want to play VR, and when i do i can just unconnect them and plug them into the PU.

I tried using the sewell switch on the pro but it caused me a world of problems.

I think I'll just go this route. Which coupler are you using? Amazon link?

Grinchy

Banned
thats the beauty of a coupler, you don't need to get to the PS4 Ports, you just unplug the 2 HDMI from the back of the PSVR unit and connect them together.

IMO getting to those plugs in the PU, if you have it set up in a TV stand, is not really that much easier. It's not that I hate the coupler suggestion, it's just that I find it frustrating that I might have to just have the breakout box sitting out somewhere at all times after I already did a bunch of cable management to get it looking decent in my TV stand.

DjRalford

IMO getting to those plugs in the PU, if you have it set up in a TV stand, is not really that much easier. It's not that I hate the coupler suggestion, it's just that I find it frustrating that I might have to just have the breakout box sitting out somewhere at all times after I already did a bunch of cable management to get it looking decent in my TV stand.

hmmm, Mines in the TV cabinet but i can easily get to the cables, literally takes all of 30 seconds to switch.

ktroopa

Guys please can someone confirm, do you need to use the supplied HDMI 2.0 cable with the pro, or is any HDMI cable ok for supersampling to work on a 1080p tv?

ElNino

Any thoughts on whether they (Sony) can fix the HDMI handshake/drop out issues with a firmware update?

My setup has only changed from the PS4 to Pro and is PS4 Pro -> PSVR Breakout -> Marantz AVR -> Samsung 1080p Plasma. On the OG PS4, I never had a single issue with HDMI handshake, before and after the PSVR was added, and the video always displayed immediately. Now with the Pro if often takes more than 30 seconds for video to be displayed or I need to switch inputs on my receiver to get it to show.

I'm also getting stutter/lag in the home menu and audio drop outs when playing games (first noticed tonight when playing VR Worlds). For a "Pro" device, it seems they still have some kinks to work out. I haven't had too many issues with fan noise so far, but the disc drive was really loud when re-installing some of my games.

Framerate aside I'm loving Deus Ex. Its been over a month since I played it (was waiting for PRO) but I don't remember it looking this clean. It feels like its running at a higher res and there's not a single Jaggy in site.

Can't believe how sick the IQ is on a console, it used to be the weakest aspect now you find some of the cleanest looking games on it.

Also just generally browsing the PS4 UI feels snappier to me and its a joy to navigate. Maybe because its using the different type of RAM that has quicker latency? Don't know but I am impressed.

I find myself more hyped for upcoming releases now in anticipation of seeing the improvements with the Pro. Just gave my hobby a little more juice.

Unknown?

Does the Pro still have the same problem as the OG where full color in auto is glitched and needs to be set in full to get it to work?

FStop7

Banned
Big difference in Infinite Warfare on PS4 Pro @ 1080p vs. Xbox One. Less aliasing and it's obviously sharper.

Same for TitanFall 2 and Modern Warfare Remastered.

DBT85

Guys please can someone confirm, do you need to use the supplied HDMI 2.0 cable with the pro, or is any HDMI cable ok for supersampling to work on a 1080p tv?

Any cable will be fine as the Pro is only punching out a 1080 signal, not a 4k signal.

Giolon

I like the new placement of the light. I used to not be able to see it well because of the place my system sits. I enjoy the new buttons too. I didn't care for the touch style buttons on the og PS4.

I hate the buttons because they're too thin to be able to press easily. The touch buttons on the OG PS4 weren't great either. I'd rather have a normal button like the PS4 Slim.

D23

The pro definitely upscales bluray movie. Tested a couple of movie on my regular lg player and pro. Bluray on pro looks more crisp and clearer I must say. Did Sony downplay this??

Ppl at Reddit are saying the same thing as well

ktroopa

Any cable will be fine as the Pro is only punching out a 1080 signal, not a 4k signal.

Thanks for confirming. So the supersampling is done per game in the game menus only? Can you not force it, like set the pro to 2160p in the video settings or will it not allow you on a 1080p tv?

Giolon

Not exactly true. If you have an HDMI Standard 1.3 cable, you might get picture & sound dropouts as that spec was only rated for 1080i/720p. I experienced a problem with such a cable while watching Blu-Rays. Swapped it out for HDMI High Speed cable and the problem went away.

See: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Though any cable that says HDMI High Speed on it should be sufficient.

Apocryphon

Big difference in Infinite Warfare on PS4 Pro @ 1080p vs. Xbox One. Less aliasing and it's obviously sharper.

Same for TitanFall 2 and Modern Warfare Remastered.

Yeah both Titanfall 2 and IW look incredibly clean. Really impressed with how IW looks.

DBT85

The pro definitely upscales bluray movie. Tested a couple of movie on my regular lg player and pro. Bluray on pro looks more crisp and clearer I must say. Did Sony downplay this??

Ppl at Reddit are saying the same thing as well

They didn't downplay it, they just didn't talk about it afaik. Personally it's because it seems obvious to me that it would upscale. It has the ability to upscale and do it well (better than most TVs internal scalers most likely) and will output to 4k, so it has to. If it output 4k but didn't upscale the BluRay then there would be black bars all around the image.

Actually surprised that people are surprised.

Thanks for confirming. So the supersampling is done per game in the game menus only? Can you not force it, like set the pro to 2160p in the video settings or will it not allow you on a 1080p tv?

It detects your TV and your TV informs it of everything it can do. A 1080 screen will tell the Pro that it can only do 1080. So the Pro will only output that resolution. There are to my knowledge no game menu settings to change regarding supersampling.

At most, you pick which mode you might want to run the game in. A few have 1080 options, but most just render at a higher resolution and then it downsamples before outputting to your tv. So UC4 renders at 1440 with no options, R&C and Fifa render at 4k with no options, TLOUR gives you the (badly labelled) choice of 4k30 or 1800p60 ish.

Not exactly true. If you have an HDMI Standard 1.3 cable, you might get picture & sound dropouts as that spec was only rated for 1080i/720p. I experienced a problem with such a cable while watching Blu-Rays. Swapped it out for HDMI High Speed cable and the problem went away.

See: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Though any cable that says HDMI High Speed on it should be sufficient.

Well, yeah, if someone has a really really old or really really cheap cable, it might not work :p

Just played BO3.

Not sure if I have the placebo effect going because I don't know if its patched but it felt better. Not sure how but it just did,

Anyone get any stuttering in Rise of the Tomb Raider when starting a new game in the very beginning of the opening cinematic? Is that normal?

DBT85

Does having a Pro make any difference for image quality on Netflix or YouTube using a 1080p TV? I'm assuming no?

Shouldn't make any difference no.

Just played BO3.

Not sure if I have the placebo effect going because I don't know if its patched but it felt better. Not sure how but it just did,

I believe it has also had a patch, others have said the same as yourself.

Anyone get any stuttering when starting a new game in the very beginning of the opening cinematic? Is that normal?

Which game?

T-0800

Couldn't find any answer in the OP.

When I setup my Pro shortly on my 1080p TV what do I need to check to ensure my games are being supersampled? Do I check 4k even though my tv isn't?

Thanks.

Couldn't find any answer in the OP.

When I setup my Pro shortly on my 1080p TV what do I need to check to ensure my games are being supersampled? Do I check 4k even though my tv isn't?

Thanks.

No you just play it as normal, set it to 1080p and if the game has a Pro mode it will automatically downsample to 1080p. Except games that have the option to do high resolution mode or high framerate mode, like Infamous, where you choose which one you want.

icespide

Banned
holy shit playing Titanfall 2 and the supersampling at 1080p is nuts.
my jaw dropped when your time travel thing breaks and time freezes

T-0800

No you just play it as normal, set it to 1080p and if the game has a Pro mode it will automatically downsample to 1080p. Except games that have the option to do high resolution mode or high framerate mode, like Infamous, where you choose which one you want.

Thanks.

Has there ever been any talk about the possibility of the Pro one day doing PS3 BC? Would it even be possible?

DBT85

Thanks.

Has there ever been any talk about the possibility of the Pro one day doing PS3 BC? Would it even be possible?

Possible? possibly. Likely to happen? No.

Sony seem to have gone down the streaming route for the BC option for those that want it.

Dave_6

Tried to open Netflix on mine (hooked up to a 1080p plasma) and I got an error screen. Wouldn't let me close application or anything. Had to do a force power off and reboot it.

Saberus

Tried to open Netflix on mine (hooked up to a 1080p plasma) and I got an error screen. Wouldn't let me close application or anything. Had to do a force power off and reboot it.

You need to put the pro in safe mode and select HDMI 1.4 instead of auto..power down the pro and then hold the power button in until you hear couple of beeps, safe mode menu will come up,then change the hdmi.

TLZ

Banned
Im so confused. HDR has less colour for me lol.

HDR:
IMG_6809.jpg

Non HDR:
IMG_6810.jpg

HDR:
IMG_6812.jpg

Non HDR:
IMG_6811.jpg

Links to all images: https://postimg.org/gallery/2q5pja2o4/

P.s no idea why only one picture is showing on neogaf

It's not just about blowing up colors. It gives you the right colors from WCG and luminance. Your HDR images look tons better and realistic. Your non HDR ones look horrible.

So, I've just found out that the USB ports on the front of the console are completely useless for using a USB drive with. The plastic from the middle layer of the console sticks out right over the USB port, so any USB drive beyond a certain thickness simply won't fit. What a ridiculous oversight.

Noticed that too, had to switch to a different usb drive to install the firmware.

black070

Just played BO3.

I'm certain it's been patched as it is listed along with every other Pro-enhanced game on the PlayStation Store, and would be the only one not compatible from the get go.

Broman1978

So just bought a Pro. Whats the recommended video settings now? I have my Xbox one S set to limited as recommended in the Xbox one thread. My TV supports HDR but I get input lag when playing games so I will probably have to have it off until LG fix it with an update

Anyone get any stuttering in Rise of the Tomb Raider when starting a new game in the very beginning of the opening cinematic? Is that normal?

I've read some people saying that the 1.05 patch that came out November 7th introduced some frame pacing issues in the base PS4 version of the game. I wondering if those issues extend into the pro as well?

d9b

Banned
Tomb Raider looks fantastic in 4k. Anyone know why it does not have HDR? Or will they be adding HDR to the game? That is the one thing that could really make it even better. I have been spending a lot of time switching between the modes, but hands down 4k is the best way to play and it just looks great.
I can't get over how good it looks and plays in 4K. I think everyone who owns Pro have to play this game, especially if they have 4K tv.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So did any genius gaffers figure out the "definitive" splitter to solve the HDR and PSVR situation?

I've resigned myself to just directly swapping the HDMI cable until I need the PSVR again. After the last couple weeks, my time spent in VR has dwindled anyway. I also have this(likely unfounded) fear that the 1.4 HDCP signal that is forced by the pass-through does somehow limit the 4K experience compared to 2.2 when directly connected. I'd much rather play regular titles anyway.

MrTexor

ok, sooo, stupid question...

I used an ethernet cable to transfer all the data (except the trophies of course) from one to the other. When doing that, it asked me if I wanted to make the new device my primary. I said yes. Now, at the "https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com" page, it says that I have only one ps4 activated. is this normal? can you only activate your primary?

Karish

Shocked I'm saying this - but Deus Ex might be the most improved game by the pro. Night and day difference from the Xbox One version I rented before

Top Bottom