• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 6, Xbox Next Could Deliver The Biggest Generational Leap With Machine Learning; Current Generation Was Oversold

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
This would be a disaster for Xbox if they release a next-gen system in 2026. The Xbox brand would be 100% dead by 2030. I hope they DON'T do this as we need Xbox around. Anybody that knows how hardware works and how insufficent MS has been over the last 10 years, knows it CAN NOT WORK.
I don't agree at all. "Anybody who knows how hardware works, knows it can not work", would you explain in your estimation, what is it about "how hardware works" that will prevent MS from releasing a compelling system in 2026.

kevboard

the current gen consoles clearly suffer from the fact that they are basically stuck with AMD GPUs as there are no Nvidia APUs and they don't want separate CPU and GPU chips.

if these consoles had the equivalent of an RTX2080 or even just RTX2070S, games would look much more visually pleasing due to DLSS alone.

Three

So, they oversold it.

And 8k internally downsampled is still 8k.
Yes they oversold the 8k and had to remove it from the box because it didn't support the format, not because it couldn't render a native 8k game like it does in the Touryst. See how that works now?

The PS5 and XSX however do support 4k output and also have 4k native games too hence why 4K is printed on the box and 8k isn't.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This would be a disaster for Xbox if they release a next-gen system in 2026. The Xbox brand would be 100% dead by 2030. I hope they DON'T do this as we need Xbox around. Anybody that knows how hardware works and how insufficent MS has been over the last 10 years, knows it CAN NOT WORK.
I think a 2026 Xbox/PC hybrid that side loads Steam will be in a decent spot to succeed depending on pricing

Am I the only one who thinks both PS5/Series X are excellently designed HW that both punch beyoned their specs?

This gen is providing us with really stable fps performance with multiple options. Yes there are some exceptions and some poorly optimized games but still we are far cry from 7th gen (PS3, X360) regarding fluctuating performance.

Also performance degredation is not exclusive to consoles, the more you add features to your game (RTX, higher resolution, 120fps and beyond ... etc) the more taxing it becomes to render even for the highest end of PC GPUs. It has been this way forever.
Couldn't agree more. I didn't expect 4K 60fps, and we got about 3 years of good res and performance options, did their job imo.
Only the move to SSD was all worth it.

As for the PS6.. I'm not sure what to expect.. i mean the hardware will be better but also games now are more demanding, i do expect to get 1440p with 60fps at the very least on all games and adding more graphics options would be great, a damn shame we can't get something like DLSS on consoles.

I think a 2026 Xbox/PC hybrid that side loads Steam will be in a decent spot to succeed depending on pricing
If it's side loading Steam and games on that platform generate zero revenue for MS, the console will need to be sold at a profit otherwise what's the point. No longer a GP machine.

LordOfChaos

Haven't watched but I don't disagree - AI and large NPUs to accelerate them could make next gen actually very different than this one, where since the 360/PS3 we've basically been doing the same things gameplay wise but with better graphics. Heck we even regressed compared to them if you look at some games with destructibility and NPC scripting, but actual AI and neural nets could change this.

It might be the biggest leap in regards to the numbers but it won't be to our eyeballs. The difference between generations has been declining since the PS2/GameCube. Maybe Nintendo is right about chasing power. Just give me good games that are polished at release. In regards to Sony especially, use the extra power on the PS6 for something useful like the ability to stick a PS3 disc in and play at 4k/60.

Three

XBSX support 8k output.
OK, what's your point? It has 8k printed on the box with zero native 8K rendering games in comparison:
s-l1200.jpg

I don’t even know what you're arguing about anymore. Still doesn't mean that printing 8K on the box is a promise of next gen games being 8K native does it? It's just stating supported output formats and nothing else. It can get 8k content if somebody decided that's what they want to create and release on it.

Solarstrike

Current gen was a cash grab across the board, smh. PS4 Pro was/is just fine. Same with the XBOX One X. Both are still great consoles with a sht ton of great games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If it's side loading Steam and games on that platform generate zero revenue for MS, the console will need to be sold at a profit otherwise what's the point. No longer a GP machine.
It can still be a GP machine and sideload Steam no?

If people bought it to only play Steam games then why buy this thing over a pure PC?

Legit asking btw

Last edited:

Three

Current gen was a cash grab across the board, smh. PS4 Pro was/is just fine. Same with the XBOX One X. Both are still great consoles with a sht ton of great games.
I think the shift to high speed storage and 60fps was needed. It's the next gen that will be an even bigger cash grab IMO. It's going to be a lot of crossgen games (even more than this gen which has a fair amount of current gen only games) it will only be worthwhile if AI is used for a whole new paradigm in games development beyond just image upscaling.

Three

You motherfuckers can't even hit 60fps on 4K in current gen and you've already started with your empty promises?
Nobody has really made any empty promises about anything, other than DF trying to push the narrative that this gen is a disappointment due to no native 4k and how next gen will somehow be better. Next gen games aren't going to be aiming for native 4K either just like this gen hasn't. They're going to upscale and they're going to have slightly improved graphics just like this gen has.

Solarstrike

it will only be worthwhile if AI is used for a whole new paradigm in games development beyond just image upscaling.
Probably been talked about before on GAF but It would be something to be able to put in an old game disc (or download the game) and have the A.I "auto-correct" stuff to the players liking on the fly as they are playing it. I think the technology already exists? For example The Halo Master Chief Collection by 343 Industries, who did an incredible job with remastering and putting it all together, I might add. For Halo 1-3 you can "switch' in real time from how the older game(s) looked to the new as you play. Not sure if any game since has done that. Neat stuff!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Absolutely nobody. Especially DF of all people who have been calling for the "Post-Resolution Era" since the beginning of this gen at every opportunity. Richard saying he's going to stop counting pixels over and over.

It's fucking bizarre to hear Alex now pretending like 4k native is what he expected from consoles, especially with quotes like this in 2020 when they launched:

But sure he expected 4k native 60fps output from the consoles now. DF were saying the PS5 is going to be a 30fps machine even, which they were absolutely wrong on.

WOW! I didn't know they were lying this bad now. What has gotten into DF? I don't even understand the point now. Why they lying now?

mckmas8808

I don't agree at all. "Anybody who knows how hardware works, knows it can not work", would you explain in your estimation, what is it about "how hardware works" that will prevent MS from releasing a compelling system in 2026.

Because node shrinks are becoming harder and harder to do. Moore's Law is finally kicking in hard, hence why A.I. is needed for us to get the same jumps as before. But there's no way MS will be able to put out a compelling console in 2026 that doesn't........

- Make current Xbox console owners feel like crap, because they will need to start advertising it in 2025. Imagine hearing MS talking about a next-gen system 6 months from now. Crazy right?
- Make a system that will cost that much less than what the PS5 Pro will at launch. Most of us are expecting a $600 PS5 Pro. You think MS can sell alot of Xbox Next at $600, when the PS5 will probably for $350 by then?

I agree with this, but it comes at a cost. Both financially (as I think it'll need to be very powerful to entice some PC gamers to buy it) and reputation wise. An xbox console that side loads Steam will be viewed equally as a "Steam Machine" as it would be an Xbox. The reputation of that box will hurt with some Xbox die hards. Some will even convince themselves they might as well just by a gaming PC, since it'll have the PC advantages that this Xbox Next wont.

If u guys wanna guess how games gonna look next gen- look what current top pc hardware can deliver, next xbox and ps6 will be roughly in the ballpark of current top pc so r7 7800x3d and rtx 4090, i say roughly in the ballpark coz it could be bit stronger, maybe 20 to 50% stronger, but not more.

Just for comparision thats maxed ass creed unity, that launched nov 2014, still looks comparable and sometimes better from most current gen only console games

launched in june 2015 arkham knight, maxed on 3080

launched in oct 2018, rdr2 maxed

Now lets compare it to console quality current gen only games

in most cases those current gen only exclusives are either 30fps capped or pixelated af or with other visible in ur face ugly shit, which makes them overall looking worse from maxed last gen pc version of games.

You have no clue of how a AAA game made with 4090 level of GPU power and features as baseline would look like, it would easily surpass anything you have going on right now on PC, mods or not. It's like y'all forget that consoles dictate the scope and visuals of games, PC versions just get more bells and whistles. Same game under the hood.

Last edited:

I am not interested in paying £500 for another load of empty promises and sod all decent games. I will play "next gen" games on my series x for as long as it gets support... then I am out of console gaming. It's all become such a joyless expensive disappointment.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Because node shrinks are becoming harder and harder to do. Moore's Law is finally kicking in hard, hence why A.I. is needed for us to get the same jumps as before. But there's no way MS will be able to put out a compelling console in 2026 that doesn't........

- Make current Xbox console owners feel like crap, because they will need to start advertising it in 2025. Imagine hearing MS talking about a next-gen system 6 months from now. Crazy right?
- Make a system that will cost that much less than what the PS5 Pro will at launch. Most of us are expecting a $600 PS5 Pro. You think MS can sell alot of Xbox Next at $600, when the PS5 will probably for $350 by then?

I agree with this, but it comes at a cost. Both financially (as I think it'll need to be very powerful to entice some PC gamers to buy it) and reputation wise. An xbox console that side loads Steam will be viewed equally as a "Steam Machine" as it would be an Xbox. The reputation of that box will hurt with some Xbox die hards. Some will even convince themselves they might as well just by a gaming PC, since it'll have the PC advantages that this Xbox Next wont.
You stated that "you know it wouldn't work", yet only provided unsubstantiated assumptions of reasons why you believe it wouldn't work. When I look at your listed reasoning, I see arguments of what is possible, being conflated with arguments of what is probable. I'll explain what I mean.

Your point of upsetting customers just doesn't resonate in any capacity for me. You believe Series X customers would "feel like crap" if MS decides to replace their console after 6 years on the market? I really don't understand why you would even include this as I just don't see it being the case for 98% of their customers. Especially considering the trend for extended cross gen periods and the console market has been conditioned to expect 7 year generations.

You say there is "no way MS can build a compelling machine in 2026", yet this is just you guessing. I can just as easily assert MS can build a compelling machine by 2026, and since we have exactly zero insight into the goings on of their R&D division, our assertions stand on equal footing.

You are assuming we will see the PS5 at $350, which is possible so let's go with that. If it is a compelling product, the price of the PS5 will have little impact. In 2026 you would be comparing the price of a last gen machine with a next gen machine, these are different target markets that are not mutually exclusive. The success of a inexpensive last gen machine does not inhibit the success of a compelling next generation machine.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

You stated that "you know it wouldn't work", yet only provided unsubstantiated assumptions of reasons why you believe it wouldn't work. When I look at your listed reasoning, I see arguments of what is possible, being conflated with arguments of what is probable. I'll explain what I mean.

Your point of upsetting customers just doesn't resonate in any capacity for me. You believe Series X customers would "feel like crap" if MS decides to replace their console after 6 years on the market? I really don't understand why you would even include this as I just don't see it being the case for 98% of their customers. Especially considering the trend for extended cross gen periods and the console market has been conditioned to expect 7 year generations.

You say there is "no way MS can build a compelling machine in 2026", yet this is just you guessing. I can just as easily assert MS can build a compelling machine by 2026, and since we have exactly zero insight into the goings on of their R&D division, our assertions stand on equal footing.

You are assuming we will see the PS5 at $350, which is possible so let's go with that. If it is a compelling product, the price of the PS5 will have little impact. In 2026 you would be comparing the price of a last gen machine with a next gen machine, these are different target markets that are not mutually exclusive. The success of a inexpensive last gen machine does not inhibit the success of a compelling next generation machine.

It would have been on the market for 6 years, but you are ignoring the fact that for the first 2 years, MS didn't have any next-gen games. So effectivity it would be 4 years of next-gen games. Plus the prices haven't come down like they use to.

And you seem to be acting as if we can't see how MS has been doing with the Xbox brand over the last 10 years. Why ignore that?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It would have been on the market for 6 years, but you are ignoring the fact that for the first 2 years, MS didn't have any next-gen games. So effectivity it would be 4 years of next-gen games. Plus the prices haven't come down like they use to.

And you seem to be acting as if we can't see how MS has been doing with the Xbox brand over the last 10 years. Why ignore that?
I'm not ignoring anything, I'm refuting your claims that were not based on evidence. Regardless of how you feel about the first two years of the Series consoles existence, that doesn't change the facts of the matter, it came out in 2020. You're appealing to your personal bias.

I would have not taken any issues with your assertions if you wouldn't have overstated your position by claiming "I know" while implying I was using faulty logic in discussing what was possible. I have no problem being shown I'm wrong, but you can't use guesswork and inference to do that. Honestly, I still don't take issues with what you "believe", just don't present them as facts and expect me to go along with them.

Last edited:
It can still be a GP machine and sideload Steam no?

If people bought it to only play Steam games then why buy this thing over a pure PC?

Legit asking btw

Cost of the hardware vs a gaming PC?

Seems to be a given that the nextBox will be very expensive. Much more than a traditional console. But will it be cheaper than a gaming PC?

If you can buy a decent performing system for Steam at a cheaper price why not? I'm not saying it won't have the ability to use GP also, but I feel the attach rate of GP subs will be significantly lower if it also runs Steam.

mckmas8808

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm refuting your claims that were not based on evidence. Regardless of how you feel about the first two years of the Series consoles existence, that doesn't change the facts of the matter, it came out in 2020. You're appealing to your personal bias.

I would have not taken any issues with your assertions if you wouldn't have overstated your position by claiming "I know" while implying I was using faulty logic in discussing what was possible. I have no problem being shown I'm wrong, but you can't use guesswork and inference to do that. Honestly, I still don't take issues with what you "believe", just don't present them as facts and expect me to go along with them.

Since I'm not a fortune teller, I thought it was understood what I was saying was just an opinion and not "facts".

DiscoDave

What a bunch of negative bitches. Can't wait to play the next gen cod, the next quadruple A Ubisoft game and the next sony walking sim. Fuck you all.

Top Bottom