• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

JoshHood

Had a funny glitch earlier, playing as Sackboy on Franzea. Play had moved up to the area blocked off by the pink platform, but I accidentally used the teleport back to where it was previously placed, below left of that area, but could not get back past the big blue fish thing, but equally couldn't drown, so just had to wait for play to open back up downwards and the fish to move away. Good times!

OmegaZero

Before I buy this (my finger is hovering over the purchase button as you read this), what are the biggest flaws/complaints/nitpicks that I should be aware of/expect?

Before I buy this (my finger is hovering over the purchase button as you read this), what are the biggest flaws/complaints/nitpicks that I should be aware of/expect?

Singleplayer is pretty barebones so don't expect some epic story mode. Presentation of the menus is lil lazy.

Leezard

Yellow before blue, saw a white belt once.

Done
Ah, right. I never actually was Yellow or White myself, I think. I remember seeing a guy with a white rope belt now though.

You should be aware that this game will be good/great mostly due to the multiplayer.

Your belt upgrades at 99. Black belt can go higher and limit is probably 999.

Order of belts: White->Yellow->Blue->Green->Purple->Red->Brown->Black

Thanks, and how exactly is it calculated?

I am of the green belt, I matchmake with other green belts, and move up from there, right? If I matchmake with higher players, I get more points? I am running into familiar players, reason being that it is limiting my matchmaking to my rank, right?

I am really loving Kill Limit, when it's set to like 7-10 kills. Surprisingly fun.

I wonder if they will rotate modes for Ranked? The timed mode being the main mode, but maybe rotating 1v1, stock, and kill limit for later seasons?

Anyone want to do this 30 man stock/30 man kill limit mode? I want to try it, you guys seem to enjoy it a lot

Leezard

I am of the green belt, I matchmake with other green belts, and move up from there, right? If I matchmake with higher players, I get more points? I am running into familiar players, reason being that it is limiting my matchmaking to my rank, right?

I am really loving Kill Limit, when it's set to like 7-10 kills. Surprisingly fun.

I wonder if they will rotate modes for Ranked? The timed mode being the main mode, but maybe rotating 1v1, stock, and kill limit for later seasons?

Anyone want to do this 30 man stock/30 man kill limit mode? I want to try it, you guys seem to enjoy it a lot

You gain more points if you win against higher rated opponents, yes. If you lose against lower rated opponents you will lose lots of points.

I'm not 100% sure on the lower belts but its like this on higher levels: 1st:+3bp 2nd:-3bp 3rd:-6bp 4th:-9bp.

Mr. Fix

- Weak/laughable story mode (more so than SFxT if you've played that)
- The menus/UI looks really cheap
- Aside from a few, most characters have the ability to spam moves, and are pretty much safe from punishment if they know what they're doing (how to avoid/run)
- Super system (this one's just my own personal gripe)

OmegaZero

1) It's a ripoff of Smash Bros.
2) It's not Smash Bros. enough

It has Playstation in the title.
What is this, Smash Bros?

Singleplayer is pretty barebones so don't expect some epic story mode. Presentation of the menus is lil lazy.

Yeah, I read a bit about that. Hopefully they add some stuff to that via patches.

You should be aware that this game will be good/great mostly due to the multiplayer.

So this is related to the barebones singleplayer I assume.
I'll keep that in mind.

- Weak/laughable story mode (more so than SFxT if you've played that)
- The menus/UI looks really cheap
- Aside from a few, most characters have the ability to spam moves, and are pretty much safe from punishment if they know what they're doing (how to avoid/run)
- Super system (this one's just my own personal gripe)

Is this something I should be worried about in FFA, or 2v2/1v1?

And thanks for the quick answers, guys.

And thanks for the quick answers, guys.
Spamming the same move always gives same amount of AP so spamming isn't punished other than it becomes predictable. It's not really a thing to be worried about but it can be annoying.

SykoTech

Sorry about that, Drencrom. First time experiencing 2 disconnects in a row like that.

Ugh, the patch can't come soon enough.

Mr. Fix

- Spamming during a team game can be really brutal, especially if one of the others is acting as a guard. It's especially bad with a Sackboy on a team.

- Spamming in a team game seems to be about as bad, because not everyone goes for the spammer in games, so you might find yourself alone in trying to stop these cretins, but also trying to fend off others.

- 1v1 seems to be safe from spamming, mostly because there's only 1 opponent to focus on, so you just need to approach cautiously.

RIP Sackgod.

I'm worried this is going to result in an influx of Kratos and Raiden players...

Superbot needs to tweak those two enough so that they eliminate these crutch players going back to other safe characters

I wonder how the "God tier" will be if Kratos and Raiden get tweaked..

OmegaZero

Spamming the same move always gives same amount of AP so spamming isn't punished other than it becomes predictable. It's not really a thing to be worried about but it can be annoying.

- Spamming during a team game can be really brutal, especially if one of the others is acting as a guard. It's especially bad with a Sackboy on a team.

- Spamming in a team game seems to be about as bad, because not everyone goes for the spammer in games, so you might find yourself alone in trying to stop these cretins, but also trying to fend off others.

- 1v1 seems to be safe from spamming, mostly because there's only 1 opponent to focus on, so you just need to approach cautiously.

Ah, okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.

...and purchased! Downloading now.
Can't wait to main Raiden, Kratos, and Sackboy
planning on trying Dino, Daniel, and the Coles out before I choose to focus on one of them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm worried this is going to result in an influx of Kratos and Raiden players...

Superbot needs to tweak those two enough so that they eliminate these crutch players going back to other safe characters

I wonder how the "God tier" will be if Kratos and Raiden get tweaked..

It wont be Kratos, it's not even kratos now. Kratos seems really good in random games because he has wide hitting attacks and people just dont block so he just sits there mashes and gets meter fast, He doesn't have this benefit vs good players in organized matches

I just hope their solution to balancing issues isn't just simply to nerf the AP gain/thresholds. Kratos' Side Square homing is bull.
Block yo

Mr. Fix

I just hope their solution to balancing issues isn't just simply to nerf the AP gain/thresholds. Kratos' Side Square homing is bull.

netguy503

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
http://www.twitch.tv/ffstv?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=videogamesawesome.com

If you guys want to see non-fighting game players totally fuck up, not know what they are doing, and are totally ignorant about the majority of the characters, check out this live stream that starts in one hour from now.

They will be in costume for the game, so it should be fun. (Cosplaying, presumably, as the characters in-game).

LOL. That match was way more entertaining than I thought it would be, and they seemed to be having fun with it. Lol.

Oh, God, the guy playing Toro was sitting on a Level 3 for the last 10 seconds of the match and didn't use it! That was painful to watch! Lol.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Huh, those Sacko nerfs aren't too bad. AP adjustments were probably the most efficient way to deal with it. Not sure how I feel about the Jam Session nerf, but everything else seems ok. I just really hope they don't go too nuts with nerfing throughout the game's life. So far we're good.

Also, the fucking Medusa Head is in! That's kind of frightening!

The Lamp

One kind of odd thing about this game is the fact that if neither you nor the other player is very good and it's a stock match, things can go very, very, very slowly. My teammate died and was waiting for me to finish off the CPU but I couldn't lol. He kept dodging my supers.

In Smash Bros., the damage percentile eventually gets so high that people are basically killed with a button tap. But there there's no ceiling like that. It's got its benefits, but one of its drawbacks is that awkward duel moment like that where everyone is missing their supers and just sucking and nobody can die lol...

One kind of odd thing about this game is the fact that if neither you nor the other player is very good and it's a stock match, things can go very, very, very slowly. My teammate died and was waiting for me to finish off the CPU but I couldn't lol. He kept dodging my supers.

In Smash Bros., the damage percentile eventually gets so high that people are basically killed with a button tap. But there there's no ceiling like that. It's got its benefits, but one of its drawbacks is that awkward duel moment like that where everyone is missing their supers and just sucking and nobody can die lol...

Thats why kill limit>stock.

Ploid 3.0

Trying to find the point where they start talking about it, I remember hearing that this group never really got into PSAS though. Most likely it's more bashing and comparing to smash for not being like smash brothers.

Edit: Found it, 28min mark

off the bat they are talking about how people wasn't giving it a chance. This could be good.

Edit2: nvm they still don't really get it, well that one smash brothers guy which supposedly plays street fighter too.

Well Sackboy seems a bit useless now. I'm glad Raiden and Kratos are still as strong! Woohoo.

I've played against a lot of Sackboys and never lost. You just either keep on them or leave them alone and avoid them. This is going to hinder the hardcore sackboy players a bit but destroy it for the casuals.

They really just want to keep this a dudes w/ swords fighting game.

prwxv3

Just call it a smash bros clone and not as fun.

They gave it 7.3 which is pretty high compared how they talk about it. Overall I think its a pretty fair score though. The first smash bros was a 7/10 game for me as well. They could have tried harder with the presentation and fanservice though.

Cross-post from tournament thread:

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Due to some crippling network issues causing some matches to run far less smoothly than they should, Round 2 of the Scrafty Cup shall be postponed until the patch fixing these issues is released next week. We strongly encourage you to spend this downtime contacting your Round 2 opponents and deciding on a time to play next week, as less than half of the assigned matches were completed properly this week. Thank you for your understanding, and be sure to subscribe to this thread for news, updates and Round 2 dates!

Please note that tournament information such as the dates during which rounds are held and any other important business will be posted in the tournament thread, not here. Also, at least attempt to get in contact with your opponent or else you'll be disqualified with extreme prejudice.

Just call it a smash bros clone and not as fun.

Had my friend over for an Allstar night and we put in Smash Brothers as well for fun. I forgot how not serious that game is and you just play it more relaxed, it definitely does not have that fighting game feeling. All-stars is definitely less fun in the traditional sense, but it is much more rewarding and exciting.

Also, Smash Bro's gets so dull after a few rounds

cyborg009

Banned
They gave it 7.3 which is pretty high compared how they talk about it. Overall I think its a pretty fair score.

You think they should go with a unified art style in the next game just like with the steelbook?

8200022364_d5eb8ace00.jpg

prwxv3

You think they should go with a unified art style in the next game just like with the steelbook?

They should at least try. They most important thing they should do is do as much ass kissing as possible to get big characters like cloud, crash, spyro, ect. and use some other existing characters sony owns. It will be hard for sure though.

They should also pick what the game should be like, a party game or a hardcore fighting game.

Welcome to 1v1 lol.

There are a couple ways they could deal with that. Maybe when it comes down to that point, make AP gain faster? Put a time limit on top of stock?

Ohh, what exactly does that do? Whichever team/person reaches a kill amount first wins?

Yeah, Kill Limit is pretty fun too, I enjoy playing 7-10 point Kill Limit

Honestly, I think this game would have benefitted with a unified art style, but their presentation team dont seem that great. Guys like Drake are so off. But more importantly, the game can look understandably jarring sometimes. It's not as bad as some make it, but just not as good as Smash. If they went with a very strong unified art style the game could have just looked phenomenal.

Drake, Coles, and skinny ass Dante just don't mesh well together. I'm just picturing a colour-rich 2D artstyle, it could look so flashy, like so many of the fighting games. Presentation is a huge thing with these games.

On a somewhat related note, I thought these looked cool:

cyborg009

Banned
They should at least try. They most important thing they should do is do as much ass kissing as possible to get big characters like cloud, crash, spyro, ect. and use some other existing characters sony owns. It will be hard for sure though.

They should also pick what the game should be like, a party game or a hardcore fighting game.

That will never happen but what they could do is go all out with first party characters.

That will never happen but what they could do is go all out with first party characters.

Well they can't even seem to do that lol.

But they still have a rich pool of (obscure) appreciated characters. The roster may not appeal to the biggest crowd, but it can definitely appeal to many pockets of PlayStation fans

Top Bottom