• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

OmegaZero

E. Coles forward O and Down Triangle are nothing to sleep on though. They both have great tools for 1v1. E. Cole can actually set up his lvl 1 through a grab.

Which is what I stated in the post you quoted.

Yeah, those are great spacing tools due to their high knockback, but they are also fairly easy to see coming and punish (especially midair down triangle) imo.
At least, easy to punish with Good Cole. :b

Dante or Heihachi have a different story but I rarely use those two for 1v1.

They should release the DLC characters now to make the wait for Feb 20th so much easier. :p

The DLC is right around the corner. Tomorrow's friday and it's supposed to be a blizzard so that'll make the weekend go by fast. Next thing you know it'll be Tuesday and I'll be katted out.

Ooo balance discussion. Ima join it.

Quite frankly the best thing they could(at first) do is removing certain kill confirms. Remove EvilColes Giga Punch kill confirm and BOOM he would be very average. Same with Raiden. Forward Square and forward circle are way too good.

Sly's is just so ridicioulus being hardest one to interrupt. You have 0.5 secs to interrupt Sly's level 1. Ridicioulus.

Im beginning to think that a lot of the level 1s should be nerfed. Why are some level 1s better than level 2s? Hell, They can even match some level 3s!

I also released this nerf list i made earlier.

As for multiple supers... maybe not. But i think Sir Dan is good example. You can aim it Up and Sideways. More supers should have directional aim. Like what if Parappa could attack horizontally and vertically?

Also, since level 2s are really awkward in sequel ALL level 2s should be able to get ATLEAST 4 kills.

WatTsu

Haha yup those were some fun matches and yes everyone who was in them was from GAF; Alpha-Male is TimeEffect

The kill was actually pretty funny I knew I wouldn't have been able to dodge your level 2 so I had to counter it I was betting on you not expecting it.

I'm kind of a borderline lurker, but it was fun to play with you guys for once (even though I am pretty bad at this game). Plus, I got my Platinum in the Vita version so that was pretty cool too.

I'll definitely be playing some more next week with the DLC and all, hope to link up again then.

The presentation held it back from being my favourite fighter of the year (which is either TTT2 or P4A). Still, the core game is very very fun and I'm glad it's getting some recognition after all the bad news.

So excited for Kat next week.

That's great to hear! Hopefully there's some "Fighting Game of the Year Edition" packaged with all the DLC at some point.

"PlayStation All Stars - Fighting Game of the Year Edition, featuring all DLC ever released* for the game!!!

*this includes costumes, Kat, and Emmett"

Hopefully that isn't what happens.

Ryce

I own both All-Stars and TTT2, and I definitely like All-Stars better. Most people don't agree with that, though.

TheMink

I own both All-Stars and TTT2, and I definitely like All-Stars better. Most people don't agree with that, though.

Talking about pure fun factor? How could TTT even compete, sure the mechanics are debatebly flawless, but i dont really enjoy playing it. (So i dont :p)

Something about those kinds of juggles dont jibe with me.

Drencrom

8454943476_6595a6532c.jpg

It’s time for the next round of Beat the Clock!

On Tuesday, February 12, Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett Graves from Starhawk will join the PlayStation All-Stars roster! To ring in this day, our Community Manager, Daniel Maniago (aka Clockw0rk) is once again taking challengers! Daniel will be playing free-for-all matches on PSN as “Strider_Doom” from 6-7PM PST.

He’ll be showing off all the new moves with Kat and Emmett, who—don’t forget—will be free to download for two weeks! If you find yourself in a match with Strider_Doom and win, we’ll post that match on our YouTube channel and you’ll be etched into PS All-Stars history!

Good luck!

http://superbotent.tumblr.com/post/42544261454/beat-the-clock-round-3

SSReborn

I think they that the entire package of TT2 is better than All Stars and although I do love TT2 I do enjoy All Stars more I think because its so different to everything game play wise.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Ooo balance discussion. Ima join it.

Quite frankly the best thing they could(at first) do is removing certain kill confirms. Remove EvilColes Giga Punch kill confirm and BOOM he would be very average. Same with Raiden. Forward Square and forward circle are way too good.

Sly's is just so ridicioulus being hardest one to interrupt. You have 0.5 secs to interrupt Sly's level 1. Ridicioulus.

Im beginning to think that a lot of the level 1s should be nerfed. Why are some level 1s better than level 2s? Hell, They can even match some level 3s!

I also released this nerf list i made earlier.

As for multiple supers... maybe not. But i think Sir Dan is good example. You can aim it Up and Sideways. More supers should have directional aim. Like what if Parappa could attack horizontally and vertically?

Also, since level 2s are really awkward in sequel ALL level 2s should be able to get ATLEAST 4 kills.

Actually I like some of those. What I have been thinking lately is if parappas down triangle caused crumple instead of knockdown he would be a really strong character. Another cool idea would be to replace one of his triangle moves with a skateboard that functioned similar to Coles grind.

I wish sackboy had the paintinator instead of jam session. Something like jak or ratchets rifles.

OwlyKnees

Would love to play with some fellow GAF members, getting really tired of random AFK players and single-move spammers. Would also be up for the tournament, if anyone needs a partner still.

Feel free to add me if anyone feels like playing. I do live in Europe, though! PSN: AnOwlWithKnees

TheMink

Prepare for a couple of weeks with only Kat and Emmett! (Also Kratos, Raiden)

Dont want to speak to soon, I actually feel like Kats SFIV:Seth gravity pull is going to be a hell on earth for a Raiden trying to close distance.
Or at least i hope so :D

TheMink

I think they that the entire package of TT2 is better than All Stars and although I do love TT2 I do enjoy All Stars more I think because its so different to everything game play wise.

Just realized what this was referring to. Didnt realize awards were involved.

I definitely think that all stars deserved it, but its hard to compare a brand new IP with a game thats had years and years and years and years to get combat, balancing, and game modes correct.
But then again all things considered all stars is quite impressive given that it is a new IP so its hard to accurately discern.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That would actually be pretty hilarious. This game has had a rough life.

Seriously though the lag is a DISASTER tonight... a ton of my combos won't connect for some reason and the timing isn't the issue, as even the most basic things are simply not working.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Alright I'm officially done. I love the fighting system, but I've reached my wits end with this game tonight, it's been a steady down hill slope for this game, and superbot has fumbled it over and over and over again, patch after patch, they haven't addressed any of the real issues, nerfed the wrong characters, and somehow the netcode is worse. Just played ANOTHER round where despite hitting the character (I was versing ratchet) and starting a combo on my screen, I would appear in his cannon as if he had grabbed me and I would be hit confirmed. This happened 4 times in the round, one of the times he failed to kill me. The game is no longer worth the time spent in it whatsoever. Pretty disappointed :-/ considering the beta was SIGNICIANTLY smoother, and far less issues occured with lag.

Camjo-Z

Oh yea! Congrats Superbot and may there be many many more years of All-Star games!!!... oh... oh yea... nevermind... too late.

Also my friends at SSM state they haven't seen anything of Allstars yet. Also, most people are going on 3 month break

Superbot's said they've made more DLC already (presumably what is to be shown in March) so I don't think SSM will really need to do anything for a while anyways.

SSReborn

Oh yea! Congrats Superbot and may there be many many more years of All-Star games!!!... oh... oh yea... nevermind... too late.

Also my friends at SSM state they haven't seen anything of Allstars yet. Also, most people are going on 3 month break

Hey Darknessbear you should ask them what are the chances that the game actually gets any support coming out of the studio in the way of DLC and Patches.

Spinluck

Alright I'm officially done. I love the fighting system, but I've reached my wits end with this game tonight, it's been a steady down hill slope for this game, and superbot has fumbled it over and over and over again, patch after patch, they haven't addressed any of the real issues, nerfed the wrong characters, and somehow the netcode is worse. Just played ANOTHER round where despite hitting the character (I was versing ratchet) and starting a combo on my screen, I would appear in his cannon as if he had grabbed me and I would be hit confirmed. This happened 4 times in the round, one of the times he failed to kill me. The game is no longer worth the time spent in it whatsoever. Pretty disappointed :-/ considering the beta was SIGNICIANTLY smoother, and far less issues occured with lag.

You'll probably get over it. I can't count how many times I've almost given up on the game.

The fighting system is fun. But it has also proven that supers only is bad design, or at least closer to bad design than good.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You'll probably get over it. I can't count how many times I've almost given up on the game.

The fighting system is fun. But it has also proven that supers only is bad design, or at least closer to bad design than good.

It's not the supers to me, I've gotten used to it, there are probably better ways, but I LOVE the feel of combat... but it's pointless to put in hours trying to get good at the game, when the rules simply don't apply to the online, like what I posted above. It's not a matter of "grrrr rage" and a simple blowup, it's really gotten to the point where I'm like... why am I playing this? I have fun for the most part, but when it comes down to it, the game is supposed to be competitive and it simply can't be with how poor the online functioning is right now.

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like a dick because after defending the super KO system so strongly before release, insisting that people at least give it a shot, I've finally decided that it's more annoying than fun.

This is mainly because the supers are just so damn unbalanced. Some guys have easy hit-confirms, while other guys can barely land theirs.

But it's also just extremely frustrating that if you whiff a super, it means everything you've done up to that point was pointless. It doesn't matter if you've been kicking ass and building meter like crazy. You whiffed that super because you didn't choose a character with a great hit-confirm, so now you're back to square zero.

In this more than any other fighting game I can think of, you are at a severe disadvantage if you don't choose a top tier character, and it's entirely because of the super system. I've basically found myself giving up on my characters of choice, Sir Dan and Big Daddy, entirely because their supers are absolute garbage. I'm used to playing mid- or even low-tier characters and needing to make up for it by playing harder, I'm used to that. But in this game, it's just ridiculous.

I also hate how FFA is the default online mode for this game. It's hard to get good at the game when someone comes from behind you and kills you while you're trying to do a combo.

It's still a fun game. I just think I'd be playing it a lot more if it had a health system and ranked 1v1. Both of these seem like things that could be patched in, too... but I doubt they will.

OwlyKnees

On another note, I think Superbot has done a tremendous job with integrating each characters unique feel from their respective games. Playing through the new Sly Cooper now, it's great to see a large portion of the moves in Sly's game in PS All-Stars. Same with Dante, Raiden and so on.

Trying to think of a better way to explain this, as clearly each character is going to have their signature moves, but, at least for me, when I play a character it feels like playing the character from that game, not some character in PS-All Stars who has those moves. With the exception of some, of whom we've had little experience of, such as Radec.

Watching videos of Kat after having recently completely Gravity Rush emphasises how, once again, they've gotten it spot-on.

Spinluck

I live when people talk shit, and they use the easy high level characters, and will tell me that guys like Big Daddy are the best in the game because of good level 2's, 3's. Just to defend their use of Kratos or Drake. Lol, fuck out of here with that shit. The community is generally ok, but there are plenty of dicks online, like any other game. Also, Cow, it's good and bad, the game was a lot better when we didn't realize there are characters that have a complete match up advantage against most of cast. Moveset wise, and super wise.

Also getting hit isn't as much as a penalty as it should be.

Step

Also getting hit isn't as much as a penalty as it should be.

That's my main issue right now,there is no punishment for getting caught on a combo and instead you get 30 AP for free, AP burst should remove the victim some AP instead of giving them, it should have been a bit like Dissidia.

It's still a fun game. I just think I'd be playing it a lot more if it had a health system and ranked 1v1. Both of these seem like things that could be patched in, too... but I doubt they will.

Yeah. I would be down with both of those things. I mean why not right?

BeastM0de

Neo Member
I feel like a dick because after defending the super KO system so strongly before release, insisting that people at least give it a shot, I've finally decided that it's more annoying than fun.

This is mainly because the supers are just so damn unbalanced. Some guys have easy hit-confirms, while other guys can barely land theirs.

But it's also just extremely frustrating that if you whiff a super, it means everything you've done up to that point was pointless. It doesn't matter if you've been kicking ass and building meter like crazy. You whiffed that super because you didn't choose a character with a great hit-confirm, so now you're back to square zero.

In this more than any other fighting game I can think of, you are at a severe disadvantage if you don't choose a top tier character, and it's entirely because of the super system. I've basically found myself giving up on my characters of choice, Sir Dan and Big Daddy, entirely because their supers are absolute garbage. I'm used to playing mid- or even low-tier characters and needing to make up for it by playing harder, I'm used to that. But in this game, it's just ridiculous.

I also hate how FFA is the default online mode for this game. It's hard to get good at the game when someone comes from behind you and kills you while you're trying to do a combo.

I do love the super system, but it is irritating to see characters with great moves that are hindered by their supers. Big daddy in particular. His level 1 doesn't fit his playstyle at all. He is a slow moving bruiser but his level 1 is dainty and a cheap way to shoehorn in a little sister. Imagine how fun big daddy would be if his level 1 was a ground pound or drill smash that could be set up with his ice plasmid.

I don't think the super system is inherently flawed. Some characters need more set ups that aid their supers.

TheMink

That's my main issue right now,there is no punishment for getting caught on a combo and instead you get 30 AP for free, AP burst should remove the victim some AP instead of giving them, it should have been a bit like Dissidia.

I would be intriueged by the inclusion of the Dissidia idea. And the current game mode already resembles Dissidia so it doesnt seem far ferched.
Although, its quite easy to see why it wasnt included.

People already take issue with the fact that wiffing a super is so "devastating", so the idea that regular attacks could take down your bar would make wiffing a super doubly devistating.
At that point it would almost have to become a 2D dissidia, because introducing this idea also would likely introduce health and damage in the exact method of DFF. i.e the larger your bar the greater the damage with the connected super, without losing your bar by wiffing the super.

Thinking about this actually intrigues me more, as not only would damage increase with the bar but also the effectiveness of the super, (lvl1,2,3) with the 3 being pretty much a 1 hit KO, with virtually zero chance of missing. However since you lose super by being attacked it would make it extremely difficult to get to the lvl 3.

The more i think of it, the more i like the concept. But i also am a big DFF fan so thats not surprising.
I hope a 2D DFF is made at some point :p

sn00zer

On another note, I think Superbot has done a tremendous job with integrating each characters unique feel from their respective games. Playing through the new Sly Cooper now, it's great to see a large portion of the moves in Sly's game in PS All-Stars. Same with Dante, Raiden and so on.

Trying to think of a better way to explain this, as clearly each character is going to have their signature moves, but, at least for me, when I play a character it feels like playing the character from that game, not some character in PS-All Stars who has those moves. With the exception of some, of whom we've had little experience of, such as Radec.

Watching videos of Kat after having recently completely Gravity Rush emphasises how, once again, they've gotten it spot-on.

completely agree....Superbot did a fucking amazing job at keeping the character true to their franchises

TheMink

completely agree....Superbot did a fucking amazing job at keeping the character true to their franchises

Quite, the evidence is true right down to the pure essence of a characters mechanics.
A main example being that Dante requires you to hold up and square to follow up an attack in the air. While Raiden requires a jump.
Why? Because each respective game requires them to.

I think thats epic.

Top Bottom