• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Zen

Banned
Yeah. I would be down with both of those things. I mean why not right?

I'd be down for an alternate system where it was HP, and taking damage would be build your revenge meter for supers.

That and 1v1, why not? There's no reason no to have 1v1 in the game.

I feel like a dick because after defending the super KO system so strongly before release, insisting that people at least give it a shot, I've finally decided that it's more annoying than fun.

This is mainly because the supers are just so damn unbalanced. Some guys have easy hit-confirms, while other guys can barely land theirs.

But it's also just extremely frustrating that if you whiff a super, it means everything you've done up to that point was pointless. It doesn't matter if you've been kicking ass and building meter like crazy. You whiffed that super because you didn't choose a character with a great hit-confirm, so now you're back to square zero.

In this more than any other fighting game I can think of, you are at a severe disadvantage if you don't choose a top tier character, and it's entirely because of the super system. I've basically found myself giving up on my characters of choice, Sir Dan and Big Daddy, entirely because their supers are absolute garbage. I'm used to playing mid- or even low-tier characters and needing to make up for it by playing harder, I'm used to that. But in this game, it's just ridiculous.

I also hate how FFA is the default online mode for this game. It's hard to get good at the game when someone comes from behind you and kills you while you're trying to do a combo.

It's still a fun game. I just think I'd be playing it a lot more if it had a health system and ranked 1v1. Both of these seem like things that could be patched in, too... but I doubt they will.

My thoughts exactly, especially the bolded. I was on the fence when it came to the super system, and when I experienced it in the beta I enjoyed it but the more I played the more I hated it. I just hate that feeling when you miss landing a super, it really feels like everything was wasted and you're starting from square one.

I started to give up on level one supers and just go for two or three just so it's way easier to land them - the problem is some characters even have lame 2's or 3's, most especially the "cutscene" level 3's which are just lame and uninspired. The more characters I saw that got the cutscene final super the angrier I got, because they just require no skill and only net you three kills while others can easily get double that.

I still sincerely think they could have made supers work as is on top of a traditional health system as well, and ring outs. Let people die via losing all their HP or being rung out on top of getting hit by a super. Limiting KOs to supers sounds great on paper but after playing the game for awhile it's just too unbalanced and it severely limits the game.

I also doubt they'll ever patch it in, as far as I'm concerned Superbot won't be touching the game anymore and after a few DLC additions/patches SSM will drop it too. Superbot stuck to their guns saying that the super system works and makes sense after you've been playing for awhile. I find this really dumb.

You shouldn't have to rethink how you win in a fighting game, people made parallels to SSB using the percentage system but you're still directly inflicting damage onto your opponent and eventually KO'ing them or ringing them out. The super system makes you do double the work and if you miss you lose everything. I really love the game and what it represents but there have been so many times I've put it down because I missed my super.

SmithnCo

Man, some of Nariko's combos are fun but her super options are really disappointing. You got her aerial disc throw confirm, which you can maybe hit after an aerial chain pull, but it's painfully obvious and rather slow. Then some stuff if they're against a wall, which is hardly as practical as say, Raiden's hundreds of confirms. I think she could use some AP balancing, or slightly faster startup on supers 1 and 2.

Step

Raiden makes look almost every other char like a useless piece of crap, XX ways to hit confirm, a lv 2 that is almost better than a lv 3 if wasn't because it doesn't last longer and combos as easy as they can be.

About the mechanics, even if I love them, I can't deny they feel sometimes rushed, still this games deserves a second entry/chance.

I played four games online today, and in ALL FOUR one of the losers besides myself disconnected at the end to avoid losing points or whatever, causing the game to lock up and forcing me to quit to the XMB and relaunch it.

Fucking ridiculous. It's just not worth playing online with shit like this going on.

TheMink

Man, some of Nariko's combos are fun but her super options are really disappointing. You got her aerial disc throw confirm, which you can maybe hit after an aerial chain pull, but it's painfully obvious and rather slow. Then some stuff if they're against a wall, which is hardly as practical as say, Raiden's hundreds of confirms. I think she could use some AP balancing, or slightly faster startup on supers 1 and 2.

I agree, I love Nariko, maybe more than Dante right now, but man tha level 2 :/

SmithnCo

I agree, I love Nariko, maybe more than Dante right now, but man tha level 2 :/

Yeah, I think she's competing with Sweet Tooth for worst level 2. Except I think ST has a decent level 1, but Nariko's 1 is also kinda bad, at least in 1v1 and 2v2. The setup for it is highly dependent on terrain as well.

She can't really fall back on level 1s as well as Sweet Tooth can, so I think a buff to her 1 or 2 would be nice. Maybe more/faster shots with the 2 would help, or faster startup like I mentioned.

TheMink

Yeah, I think she's competing with Sweet Tooth for worst level 2. Except I think ST has a decent level 1, but Nariko's 1 is also kinda bad, at least in 1v1 and 2v2. The setup for it is highly dependent on terrain as well.

She can't really fall back on level 1s as well as Sweet Tooth can, so I think a buff to her 1 or 2 would be nice. Maybe more/faster shots with the 2 would help, or faster startup like I mentioned.

I think the best buff would be to make it so the shot TO the barrel is also fatal, among other things.

Step

I think the best buff would be to make it so the shot TO the barrel is also fatal, among other things.

But wouldn't that make it the best lv 1 of all the game with that hit box+the explosion of the barrel.

I think it should work like murray you trow the barrel and if it makes contact it blows up or like Nathan's propane tank, you trow it and decide when to detonate.

Camjo-Z

I played four games online today, and in ALL FOUR one of the losers besides myself disconnected at the end to avoid losing points or whatever, causing the game to lock up and forcing me to quit to the XMB and relaunch it.

Fucking ridiculous. It's just not worth playing online with shit like this going on.

2v2 is unbearable now as well. If you're not fighting a duo of top-tier characters (who will trash talk you as though they're winning because of skill, naturally) then you're fighting idiots who don't put up any sort of challenge. And the few opponents that fight fair and make the game fun will seemingly always ragequit to avoid losing points. Although quite frankly, I don't blame them - the ranking system in this game is so stupidly punishing I don't know how Superbot ever thought it was a good idea. It takes 5 wins to get back the points you lose from 1 loss. 5 matches. That's 5 chances to run into another Kratos/Raiden combo and lose even more points. Who's dumb idea was that?!

On a side note, I'd love to discuss characters with the rest of you but at this point I'm not sure if it's even worth the trouble. I really feel like we're going to be waiting until PSAS 2 to see any actual semblance of balance.

Aceun

I find that unranked is the way to go. The etiquette is much better there and people tend to play better or at least more interestingly.

Today I also encounters a lot less of The Five*

* Nate, Raiden, Kratos, Sly, and Evil Cole

Yeah, if there's one game begging for a refined sequel it's this one. Still having mad fun though in unranked at least. As far as ranked is concerned, I just powered through it with Heihaichi's lvl 2 to upgrade the belt once in free-for-all, so I'm done for this season. xD

In unranked 2v2, I shuffle between Grandpa Mishima, Dante, & Nariko. I'd probably play Nariko more if I could figure out how her supers work. I love her base moveset. Dante is either the best or worst character ever depending on whether or not I land an empty-cancel under pressure. And I've really warmed up to GM lately. His range is super short, but I armor through with that down + square and give my opponent the god fist combo.

Ran rp

So the connection issues still haven't been fixed? I'm trying to play a few games but there's always a disconnection from host.

cyborg009

Banned
PSY・S;47553505 said:
Just went into 3x overtime in a 2v2 without my partner (cyborg009) 'cause he lagged out. That was fun.

I think because I was too far and my cousin started to stream movies. I couldn't even see the other players lol. The online is still crappy but 2 v 2 has better connection. I'm still amazed that they ruined the netcode that was in the beta.

SmithnCo

Urggg, people quitting unranked when they lose all their stock and ruining the match. ;_;

The rampant quitting is annoying. I think unranked is better though, don't know why you'd even care that much to quit in ranked when the prize is titles.

OmegaZero

Fighting a Kratos that knows what he's doing is a scary thing. I barely won with my Dante against one today, but I've lost to other Krati plenty of times.

Camjo-Z

I kept having a ton of network problems and it was really annoying me, so I decided to just delete the game from my hard drive. Then I remembered Kat/Emmett DLC comes out soon, so I reinstalled it, and now my network problems are gone. Weird, but I ain't complaining.

PowderedToast

I kept having a ton of network problems and it was really annoying me, so I decided to just delete the game from my hard drive. Then I remembered Kat/Emmett DLC comes out soon, so I reinstalled it, and now my network problems are gone. Weird, but I ain't complaining.

hmm, i might try that

Drencrom

Urggg, people quitting unranked when they lose all their stock and ruining the match. ;_;

The rampant quitting is annoying. I think unranked is better though, don't know why you'd even care that much to quit in ranked when the prize is titles.

I haven't even got my titles from either season 1 and 2 so I only play unranked for now (seriously, didn't they 'patch' it?). Less Kratos, Raiden and Cole players in unranked too.

TheMink

But wouldn't that make it the best lv 1 of all the game with that hit box+the explosion of the barrel.

I think it should work like murray you trow the barrel and if it makes contact it blows up or like Nathan's propane tank, you trow it and decide when to detonate.

*shrugs*

Thats probably the exact thinking the devs had when designing her, and now we have a low-mid tier character that is doomed there because of her crappy lvl 1 and 2.
If thar bolt also killed players Nariko would be high tier almost immediately.

And thats the goal right? Eventually make all characters high tier? :p

Just a reminder to everyone: signups for the Neo Scrafty Cup end this Thursday! If you're planning on competing, grab a partner and shoot me a PM! As of right now, only about 4 teams have registered!

OwlyKnees

Does anyone know if I download the DLC tomorrow from the US if it will be compatible with the European PSN release?

If not, I can wait until Wednesday. Just excited for the DLC, would like to grab it as soon as possible.

Camjo-Z

Does anyone know if I download the DLC tomorrow from the US if it will be compatible with the European PSN release?

If not, I can wait until Wednesday. Just excited for the DLC, would like to grab it as soon as possible.

I'm pretty sure DLC can only be used with games from the region you bought it from. But if it's any consolation, considering how late the PS Store updates we'll probably be getting it the same time as you. :p

Also Scrafty, sending you a PM shortly... I'm in!

OwlyKnees

I'm pretty sure DLC can only be used with games from the region you bought it from. But if it's any consolation, considering how late the PS Store updates we'll probably be getting it the same time as you. :p

Also Scrafty, sending you a PM shortly... I'm in!

Ha, yeah, I know it's only a few hours. I'm too impatient for new content!

Thanks for the answer, though!

SmithnCo

I haven't even got my titles from either season 1 and 2 so I only play unranked for now (seriously, didn't they 'patch' it?). Less Kratos, Raiden and Cole players in unranked too.

I got mine for 2, but it's not really worth it anyway, lol.

I'm still seeing a fair amount of Kratos/Raiden, but there is more variety I think, people might actually pick characters like Big Daddy once and a while.

Just a reminder to everyone: signups for the Neo Scrafty Cup end this Thursday! If you're planning on competing, grab a partner and shoot me a PM! As of right now, only about 4 teams have registered!

I don't think i'll be able to make it. : Sadly, I went in a loss of internet connection. I could try to go to a friends, but I still have no partner either way.

I don't think i'll be able to make it. : Sadly, I went in a loss of internet connection. I could try to go to a friends, but I still have no partner either way.

You can use someone who isn't a GAFfer. It doesn't really matter who your partner is so long as at least one of you can post here.

Teams Registered:

Mink 'n' Stein (TheMink and JStein)

Camjo Ball Z (Camjo-Z and friend)

Da Vikings (Napalm_Frank and Drencrom)

Batmen (Troubled Bat and friend)

TMNPSASB (cool_trainer and friend)

BaHeathmut (Bahamut_24 and IntelliHeath)

Teams of regulars who have not re-registered:

SmithnCow

Time-is-Obsolete

Broronto

Psyborg

TheMink

It's fairly old (9 days old), but have you seen this recently discovered Dante technique?

Dante can use ground moves in midair by dash-canceling his pistol attacks off of thin platforms. That means he can jump twice in midair (given enough vertical space)!

Curios, dashing off a surface gives the thinking that you are still on the ground even though are falling! How interesting.

Also best Combo ive gotten so far:

iblUOehFeWogJ1.jpg

EDIT:

Oh snap just got it to 176

Double Edit:

But unless i REALLY think about how much bullets im shooting between cancels i generally average 166

OmegaZero

Curios, dashing off a surface gives the thinking that you are still on the ground even though are falling! How interesting.

Also best Combo ive gotten so far:

iblUOehFeWogJ1.jpg

EDIT:

Oh snap just got it to 176

Double Edit:

But unless i REALLY think about how much bullets im shooting between cancels i generally average 166

How do you perform that combo? Does it involve empty bold canceling? EDIT: Derp reading comprehension fail. It does use empty canceling because you mentioned it in your second edit.

Also, this is the combo I usually use in a 1v1 situation:
RweFMmj.jpg

If you're interested, here's how I do it:
Square -> square -> square -> triangle (all shots) -> up-back triangle -> air forward circle -> air forward square -> air triangle (all shots) -> square -> square -> square -> triangle (all shots) -> up triangle -> air down circle -> jump ->air forward square -> air forward square -> air triangle -> air forward circle -> air square.

Basically, you do a Hunger loop into an Arbiter throw loop, then end it with a dash-canceled midair square finisher. Fancy and fairly effective.

TheMink

How do you perform that combo? Does it involve empty bold canceling?

Also, this is the combo I usually use in a 1v1 situation:
RweFMmj.jpg

If you're interested, here's how I do it:
Square -> square -> square -> triangle (all shots) -> up-back triangle -> air forward circle -> air forward square -> air triangle (all shots) -> square -> square -> square -> triangle (all shots) -> up triangle -> air down circle -> jump ->air forward square -> air forward square -> air triangle -> air forward circle -> air square.

Basically, you do a Hunger loop into an Arbiter throw loop, then end it with a dash-canceled midair square finisher. Fancy and fairly effective.

Nope its exceeingly simple, but you can use the EBC if you want.
Essentially all you have to do is start the following combo with a move that deals 20 AP damage.

1-Square 2-triangle 3-circle

1 1 1 2 all shots up1hold 1 1 up1 2 side3 1

You can get the extra 20 at the beggining in the following ways.

1. Hunger scythe, or up2 side3 side1
2. 111 EBC
3. Begin with a counter.

And im sure more.

Make sense?

Edit: the second edit was referring to whether or not i would shoot all bullets in the triangle phase before regular canceling, not EBCing

Going to attempt your combo now...

OmegaZero

Ah, that's practical.

Whenever I'm in a free for all or team battle, I usually just do (in your notation) 1, 1, 1, up 1 (hold), s1, s1, s1, 2, s3, 1.
Nice and simple 136 AP burst combo that quickly gets you in the air.

EDIT: Also, you've seen Dante's optimized (and highly situational) 203AP combo by ProjectSeoul, right?

BHK3

Banned
Is there a team better then Ratchet and Raiden? I watch my friends play the game and they wreck all day, 15 win streaks before something distracts them and they lose. Raiden baits and uses his level 1 when he can for easy kills while ratchet spams his long ranged attacks up to a level 3, or when he's lazy he'll just suck someone up and shoot them at a wall then use his level 1.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Teams Registered:

Mink 'n' Stein (TheMink and JStein)

Camjo Ball Z (Camjo-Z and friend)

Da Vikings (Napalm_Frank and Drencrom)

Batmen (Troubled Bat and friend)

TMNPSASB (cool_trainer and friend)

Teams of regulars who have not re-registered:

SmithnCow

Time-is-Obsolete

Broronto

Psyborg

Hey you forget us! BaHeathMut - Bahamut_24 and IntelliHeath

One more day! :D

OmegaZero

Is there a team better then Ratchet and Raiden? I watch my friends play the game and they wreck all day, 15 win streaks before something distracts them and they lose. Raiden baits and uses his level 1 when he can for easy kills while ratchet spams his long ranged attacks up to a level 3, or when he's lazy he'll just suck someone up and shoot them at a wall then use his level 1.

Two Kratos players can be hard to deal with, especially if they stick together and cover each other. Two Raidens can work similar, except now you have kill confirms from both to deal with.

In my opinion, the hardest team I've ever fought was a Good and Evil Cole team, both skilled players. Very hard to earn AP when one covers the other with grenades/projectiles from long range.

The easiest teams to deal with imo are ones that split up to fight.

Only one more day until Kat and Emmett are released! We're at the home stretch. :)

I really can't wait to try Kat out. I really hope she ends up being the long-awaited character that suits my play style. I'll run through arcade mode with Emmett, of course, but given what I know and have heard about how he plays, I'm pretty sure I'll be useless with him.

TheMink

Ah, that's practical.

Whenever I'm in a free for all or team battle, I usually just do (in your notation) 1, 1, 1, up 1 (hold), s1, s1, s1, 2, s3, 1.
Nice and simple 136 AP burst combo that quickly gets you in the air.

EDIT: Also, you've seen Dante's optimized (and highly situational) 203AP combo by ProjectSeoul, right?

Yeah ive seen it, situational combos suck ass. :(

But i have done it. Using your shooting before comboing hunger sythe technique i got a 190AP combo.

iIBfaM8I98ovE.jpg

When firing your guns the second time before going 1uphold you need to make sure every last bullet is counted (your total should be 70 at this point) then after the 1uphold continue until the mid air 2, you must hit every bullet with this one ad well before canceling into the side3 1.
Before the side3 your total should be 130, once you connect your total will burst to 190.

I swear to you its damn near impossible to cancel your guns IMMEDIATELY after you hit 70 going into the side3 up1 on the ground. When i do actually do im not even totally sure what i did differently to connect with it.

The far easier way is to do it in corner and after the ground guns go in to up3 because its so much faster than side3 up1.

The mid air gun cancel off of the 130 point is almost as difficult as the ground one and i also have no idea why i will sometimes succeed when other times i wont.

Does that make any sense lol?

Top Bottom