• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

I can't get over the fact that this doesn't feature Crash, Snake, Cloud or Lara Croft. But Evil Cole? FAT PRINCESS? Are they fucking serious??? I would rather just have fewer characters instead of those losers. I hope this makes enough money that sony can afford to buy some of their actual iconic characters for the sequel (it probably doesn't work that way i know).

I can't get over the fact that this doesn't feature Crash, Snake, Cloud or Lara Croft. But Evil Cole? FAT PRINCESS? Are they fucking serious??? I would rather just have fewer characters instead of those losers. I hope this makes enough money that sony can afford to buy some of their actual iconic characters for the sequel (it probably doesn't work that way i know).
It doesn't work that way, and these kinds of posts might as well be trolling at this point

i thought we were over this. haha

just believe we'll see them in DLC format. Snake, Cloud and Lara Croft may appear as DLC. Crash is the long shot.

ps- Nariko is also amazing.

Lord Phol

9 Hours and (hopefully) I'll finally be able to play this :D.
Love the impressions guys, getting all giddy over here!

PSN: LordPhol <-- add me, you know you want to!
>:eek:

This game is sub native on the vita?

absolutely not, I mean early vita games like gravity rush, uncharted, assassin creed, and need for speed mw, all those titles are sub native, psabr is definitely native res, and looks really sharp and clean, and it looks really good too. I hope those early sub native res games are merely because they're on tight deadline or just learning vita, so for their next games, dev like Bend can make a native res vita games.

seriously, I'll take no bump mapping and fancy shader if that mean I can get clean native res games. sub native games don't bother me too much on big hdtv for console, but for vita where I'm up close and personal with the screen, it's much more distracting than I thought.

AAK

After the initial surprise and wonder of playing the game for the first time wore off, I began to be having less and less fun with the game... I'll take a break, concentrate on school for a bit and hopefully get back on it with a fresh mind.

Day 1 experience: Fun game, but I don't feel that urge and insatiable desire to have "just one more match!" like what truly great fighting games managed to invoke out of me.

Also, I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do to get my Pre-order costumes. It'd be really appreciated if it gets posted in the OP instead of asking or scouring the thread.

KevinCow

Banned

The thing about Evil Cole that I realized, that made me less annoyed over his inclusion, is that he's pretty much just a transforming character that's been split in two.

Comparing Cole and Evil Cole:

- Their Square attacks are pretty much identical, possibly with some minor speed and power tweaks.

- Their Triangle attacks all share a similar concept; Cole gets sticky grenades, while Evil Cole gets double grenades; Cole gets a rocket that flies up in the air, then can be redirected, while Evil Cole gets a rocket that flies up in the air and splits in two to just make a really good vertical projectile.

- Their Circle attacks are the only ones that are completely unique.

They've said that their original design had him as a transforming character, but Sucker Punch insisted that Cole and Evil Cole are really separate characters, and it's pretty evident when you look at their moves. It's not really that different from Toro having three stances. The work put into Evil Cole did not keep another character from getting in.

Also Fat Princess is awesome and you're a bad person for saying otherwise.

Lord Phol

It's not trolling because you don't agree with them. I agree with the sentiment.

Don't be a Loudninja.

I think he meant it in the way that everyone should know by now that it isn't up to superbot or even sony if crash or spyro etc is in the game . So post like that are either made because of cluelessness or because you are trolling.

Noi

The thing about Evil Cole that I realized, that made me less annoyed over his inclusion, is that he's pretty much just a transforming character that's been split in two.

Comparing Cole and Evil Cole:

- Their Square attacks are pretty much identical, possibly with some minor speed and power tweaks.

- Their Triangle attacks all share a similar concept; Cole gets sticky grenades, while Evil Cole gets double grenades; Cole gets a rocket that flies up in the air, then can be redirected, while Evil Cole gets a rocket that flies up in the air and splits in two to just make a really good vertical projectile.

- Their Circle attacks are the only ones that are completely unique.

They've said that their original design had him as a transforming character, but Sucker Punch insisted that Cole and Evil Cole are really separate characters, and it's pretty evident when you look at their moves. It's not really that different from Toro having three stances. The work put into Evil Cole did not keep another character from getting in.

Also Fat Princess is awesome and you're a bad person for saying otherwise.

Broken record about Evil Cole here, but I still think presenting him and Cole like Zelda/Shiek only without transforming them in-battle would have gotten him a better reception than as a standalone character. Make him take up the same "slot", but you choose which version to play from the character select screen just like you do Zelda in Brawl. What's done is done though.

I think he meant it in the way that everyone should know by now that it isn't up to superbot or even sony if crash or spyro etc is in the game . So post like that are either made because of cluelessness or because you are trolling.

I'm aware of that. But I'm sure the guys at Superbot are well aware that not having said icons was gonna get criticized from the get go, more so when they raised expectations through the roof at the game's reveal, and has been pointed out many times to them. It's natural criticism of a title that's supposed to represent PlayStation's history.

Gorillaz

The IP is too new and dangerous to put those mascots in. Once it gains traction watch what happens.

It's not trolling because you don't agree with them. I agree with the sentiment.

Don't be a Loudninja.
It's irritating as hell. The game is what it is. Repeating what others have said a thousand times before with an accusatory attitude towards the developers is redundant and unfair

Skyzard

Banned
Had a lot of fun with the beta and love the gameplay, so much fun.

Was hoping they improved the menu feel and connection issues but it seems like they may be the same as the beta. Will set up a dmz and I can live with maybe meh menus but I had a question about the single player:

I'm off on holiday soon and have a few games to pick from, won't have internet and was worried PSASBR wasn't any good offline without a campaign (or mini-games, lol)...is the sp portion decent... AI reasonably fun/no major issues? And are there customizable matches for offline play? Thanks.

It's irritating as hell. The game is what it is. Repeating what others have said a thousand times before with an accusatory attitude towards the developers is redundant and unfair

I think i'm making a valid complaint. "Playstation All-Stars" hardly features any of the actual playstation stars, it's a serious flaw in my opinion... It's 100% why i'm not buying the game, i even own a vita and i'm still not buying it. I'm not a fighting game pro so the main hook for me is the characters.

Parappa players, what is the optimal combos and what do you do to get in?

I use neutral O then mash square. Actually liking his different air mobility options but man, its tough to land that lvl 1.

I think i'm making a valid complaint. "Playstation All-Stars" hardly features any of the actual playstation stars, it's a serious flaw in my opinion... It's 100% why i'm not buying the game, i even own a vita and i'm still not buying it. I'm not a fighting game pro so the main hook for me is the characters.
And we have heard it a hundred times before, Superbot can only license the characters that are available to be licensed.

Parappa players, what is the optimal combos and what do you do to get in?

I use neutral O then mash square. Actually liking his different air mobility options but man, its tough to land that lvl 1.
Do neutral O > neutral square > down square > forward square > up square (hold) > neutral circle (mid-air) > square three times

KevinCow

Banned

Come on. Hardly features any actual Playstation stars? Yeah, it sucks that they couldn't get Crash, Spyro, Cloud, or Snake, but I think they managed to do a pretty good job at representing the Playstation brand across its three generations even in their absence.

And we have heard it a hundred times before, Superbot can only license the characters that are available to be licensed.

I looked through multiple pages and nobody had brought it up that i could see. Is a game only allowed to be criticized a limited number of times? Is there a limit on praise also? For a man named Chuck Norris you have a fairly sooky attitude.

I didn't mean to sound like some ignorant asshole but it does greatly annoy me that the roster is so weak, i guess i'm in the minority though, apologies if i've "derailed".

Noi

Come on. Hardly features any actual Playstation stars? Yeah, it sucks that they couldn't get Crash, Spyro, Cloud, or Snake, but I think they managed to do a pretty good job at representing the Playstation brand across its three generations even in their absence.

I disagree, and I'm not even thinking about third party characters. At this point I'm hoping the DLC rectifies this somewhat. Kat's a step in the right direction.

AAK

The game is 2D... a game trying to celebrate game characters that revolutionized and pioneered 3D gameplay. That's an even bigger flaw when trying to critique the premise behing the game with its title.

I've learned to ignore the title and try to judge it solely off of its gameplay & design.

Lord Phol

Broken record about Evil Cole here, but I still think presenting him and Cole like Zelda/Shiek only without transforming them in-battle would have gotten him a better reception than as a standalone character. Make him take up the same "slot", but you choose which version to play from the character select screen just like you do Zelda in Brawl. What's done is done though.

I'm aware of that. But I'm sure the guys at Superbot are well aware that not having said icons was gonna get criticized from the get go, more so when they raised expectations through the roof at the game's reveal, and has been pointed out many times to them. It's natural criticism of a title that's supposed to represent PlayStation's history.

Yes they are well aware of people wanting those characters in the game, as has been stated several times in interviews. But posts like that won't make them suddenly appear in the game, supporting them with your wallet might though (Activsion likes dat monies). For me I could care less about crash in a fighting game. The characters I want most (Alundra, Ansem among others) will probably never make it, you don't see my throwing a fuss about it though.

Edit: And to be clear I do not think this game is in anyways perfect, and there are several things (just form reading) that I think could be improved/changed and hopefully will be in a sequel/patches.

Noi

The game is 2D... a game trying to celebrate game characters that revolutionized and pioneered 3D gameplay. That's an even bigger flaw when trying to critique the premise behing the game with its title.

What?

Yes they are well aware of people wanting those characters in the game, as has been stated several times in interviews. But posts like that won't make them suddenly appear in the game, supporting them with your wallet might though (Activsion likes dat monies). For me I could care less about crash in a fighting game. The character I want most (Alundra) will probably never make it, you don't see my throwing a fuss about it though.

You not making a fuss means Alundra will never be in the game. Kat was chosen as the first of two DLC characters because people raised a big enough stink over her not being in the core game.

Loudninja

I agreed.

This is the first time in forever that I've stayed up this late playing a fighting game. God, Sackboy is so awesome. I'll try playing some of you guys tomorrow.

I disagree, and I'm not even thinking about third party characters. At this point I'm hoping the DLC rectifies this somewhat. Kat's a step in the right direction.

not to start a debate or whatever. but wait, are you implying that kats a right direction to "ps all stars" and drake/kratos/jak/ratchet arent?

Lord Phol

What?

You not making a fuss means Alundra will never be in the game. Kat was chosen as the first of two DLC characters because people raised a big enough stink over her not being in the core game.

Well you are right about Kat most likely being chosen because lots of people voiced their concern about her not being included. In this case Superbot listned to the fans and implented her because she was available. In the other cases Spyro, Crash etc no amount of nagging will help atm, because they are aware that people want them, but the characters aren't available for Superbot to implent. It really is as simple as that and it has been mentioned sooooo sooo many times in so many different threads, forums etc.

The guy is entitled to his opinion, but he's not helping, and IMO going about it the wrong way, and that's all I have to say about that.

Noi

not to start a debate or whatever. but wait, are you implying that kats a right direction to "ps all stars" and drake/kratos/jak/ratchet arent?

No such thing. I never said that the current game doesn't have All-Stars. I said that the current roster doesn't even represent 1/4 of all of PlayStation's history. More so when you count characters that have jack all to do with PlayStation.

Yep that is pretty silly she is not as big as several characters in this game.

You could try contributing to a discussion for once instead of being a one-man echo chamber.

Well you are right about Kat most likely being chosen because lots of people voiced their concern about her not being included. In this case Superbot listned to the fans and implented her because she was available. In the other cases Spyro, Crash etc no amount of nagging will help atm, because they are aware that people want them, but the the characters aren't available for Superbot to implent. It really is as simple as that and it has been mentioned sooooo sooo many times in so many different threads, forums etc.

The guy is entitled to his opinion, but he's not helping, and IMO going about it the wrong way, and that's all I have to say about that.

You're right when it comes to third party characters, and the original poster even put it in his post that he's aware that it's likely not how that works. I just think it's silly to berate someone for not thinking the game's current roster is the bee's knees, when it's far from being a rare complaint. It's one post in a sea of praise for the game.

No such thing. I never said that the current game doesn't have All-Stars. I said that the current roster doesn't even represent 1/4 of all of PlayStation's history. More so when you count characters that have jack all to do with PlayStation.

You could try contributing to a discussion for once instead of being a one-man echo chamber.

You're right when it comes to third party characters, and the original poster even put it in his post that he's aware that it's likely not how that works. I just think it's silly to berate someone for not thinking the game's current roster is the bee's knees, when it's far from being a rare complaint. It's one post in a sea of praise for the game.
Look frankly, if you don't like this cast, then the game isn't for you because this is Sonys first party. Plenty of us have grown up playing these games, love the characters and enjoy seeing them in this game together believe it or not. Yes there is room for improvement on the third party front, but no game is perfect the first time round, we should just be happy that they pretty much nailed the first party cast. If you or others are not interested, then go be not interested in another thread :)

i see. so what exactly do you mean by "right direction"? because by saying that, it implies that drake/kratos/etc aren't the "right direction"- if that makes any sense. haha. i like kat and all, but shes not the "right direction" towards "all stars", but a right direction towards the more obscure ps characters.

Noi

Look frankly, if you don't like this cast, then the game isn't for you because this is Sonys first party. Plenty of us have grown up playing these games, love the characters and enjoy seeing them in this game together believe it or not. Yes there is room for improvement on the third party front, but no game is perfect the first time round, we should just be happy that they pretty much nailed the first party cast. If you or others are not interested, then go be not interested in another thread :)

Thanks for ignoring the fact that I already own the game and have supported it since the first beta thread. If you think they "pretty much nailed the first party cast", I guess that's your prerogative but I wholeheartedly disagree. You can continue being an ass and put me on an ignore list or something though, cause I'm not leaving.

i see. so what exactly do you mean by "right direction"? because by saying that, it implies that drake/kratos/etc aren't the "right direction"- if that makes any sense. haha. i like kat and all, but shes not the "right direction" towards "all stars", but a right direction towards the more obscure ps characters.

It's the "right direction" towards highlighting different faces of the PlayStation brand and everything that encompasses it in from past to future. I hate the cross-marketing baggage that this game took up and it's focus on mostly characters from this generation, and ONLY on the PS3. They have a plethora of IPs from the PS1 and PS2 era that they're known for, as well as existing PSP and Vita IPs that could have been used to fill in the first party roster. Frankly, the fact that Dino, Big Daddy, Nariko and FP are all in over a single character from any of their RPG IPs is a slap to the face for people who like and have supported those games through all these years. If they qualify as All-Stars, they may as well truly put Jen Tate in the game. I'm not gonna criticize people who think the current roster is fine (don't give me another lesson on your history as a playstation fan figboy pls), but it's perfectly reasonable to also find it lacking based on the massive amount of IPs they own, without even talking about PlayStation's iconic third party characters.

KevinCow

Banned

I still don't really get what you mean.

Taking into account that Crash, Spyro, Cloud, and Snake were unattainable due to reasons outside of Superbot's control, I think that Parappa, Spike, Sweet Tooth, and Sir Daniel covered that base as well as they could.

Then you've got Kratos and the Jak/Ratchet/Sly platformer trio to cover the PS2. I don't see how anyone could argue against them.

And Drake, Cole, and Sackboy are pretty obvious PS3 representatives.

Plus Toro for just a general Sony Japan character.

The only characters that might be questionable are:

Evil Cole - I already made my argument against him "wasting a space" above.

Radec - Killzone isn't as HUGE as Sony would like it to be, but I think most would agree it's well-known enough to deserve a character. And while Radec only appears in one of the games and isn't even a playable character, they were smart to go with the iconic glowing red eyes over any generic space marines.

Nariko - So Heavenly Sword didn't turn out that great. Still, it was a highly publicized early PS3 game, and Nariko has a unique and recognizable design, plus her fighting style is perfectly suited for this type of game.

Fat Princess - I think the main reason she got in is because she's a personal favorite of the folks at Superbot. Honestly, she wouldn't have been one of my first picks. But I'm okay with her inclusion because I like the occasional silly, obscure, out-of-nowhere character.

I think the only really noteworthy first-party absence is anything Team Ico, but I assumed that was because Team Ico didn't want their stuff in the game and Superbot respected their wishes.

So, serious question: Given 16 first-party slots, who would you remove, and who would you replace them with?

Thanks for ignoring the fact that I already own the game and have supported it since the first beta thread. If you think they "pretty much nailed the first party cast", I guess that's your prerogative but I wholeheartedly disagree. You can continue being an ass and put me on an ignore list or something though, cause I'm not leaving.

It's the "right direction" towards highlighting different faces of the PlayStation brand and everything that encompasses it in from past to future. I hate the cross-marketing baggage that this game took up and it's focus on mostly characters from this generation, and ONLY on the PS3. They have a plethora of IPs from the PS1 and PS2 era that they're known for, as well as existing PSP and Vita IPs that could have been used to fill in the first party roster. Frankly, the fact that Dino, Big Daddy, Nariko and FP are all in over a single character from any of their RPG IPs is a slap to the face for people who like and have supported those games through all these years. If they qualify as All-Stars, they may as well truly put Jen Tate in the game. I'm not gonna criticize people who think the current roster is fine (don't give me another lesson on your history as a playstation fan figboy pls), but it's perfectly reasonable to also find it lacking based on the massive amount of IPs they own, without even talking about PlayStation's iconic third party characters.

Ahhh. Alright, now I understand where you're coming from. :) Well, as I tell most people, just hope for some amazing DLC action. I'm sure we'll see Snake, Cloud and Lara eventually. :) People just need to keep supporting this game. :)

So, serious question: Given 16 first-party slots, who would you remove, and who would you replace them with?

Fat Princess->Kat
One of the Coles->Wander (if we play by the rules and Wander is a no replace with Alundra)

Done :3

As for 3rd parties I would mayyyyyybe change Dino for Disagea rep or Tomba since their ip holders have shown intrest. I'd totally keep Raiden, BD and Heihachi tho.

WinFonda

i'm raging so hard right now. the drake rival fight versus sly is ridiculously difficult. let me count the ways.

the cpu uses all his fucking moves exceptionally well.

the meter steal in 1v1 is ridiculous when combined with the above. any attempt to fight him in a traditional way will have you losing any meter you gain.

due to sly's invis, all your level 1 supers are complete guesses if they will hit. and it's a frigging uphill battle just to get enough meter for level 1. meanwhile CPU sly can actually waste a level 2 for a single or no kills and still be competitive.

the stupid fucking rival level is a tiny close quarters flat room. sly's level 1 travels half the damn thing.

closest i've come to beating him is when we both had 2 kills each, i had a level 1 and he had a level 1, i tossed out my propane tank, surprise, it didn't hit, he activated his super simultaneously, and i died.

And OK, so granted i'm not an expert at the game, and i'm probably too tired to be playing right now, but did Superbot playtest this goddamn rival match at all? they had to have known a lot of people just starting would begin with Drake. they should have lowered sly's meter steal for the rival fight or something.

any tips for this? the strategy that seems to work is using a bunch of air attacks, and completely avoiding ground but it's tedious as all hell.

i'm raging so hard right now. the drake rival fight versus sly is ridiculously difficult. let me count the ways.

the cpu uses all his fucking moves exceptionally well.

the meter steal in 1v1 is ridiculous when combined with the above. any attempt to fight him in a traditional way will have you losing any meter you gain.

due to sly's invis, all your level 1 supers are complete guesses if they will hit. and it's a frigging uphill battle just to get enough meter for level 1. meanwhile CPU sly can actually waste a level 2 for 1 or no kills and still be competitive.

the stupid fucking rival level is a tiny close quarters flat room. sly's level 1 travels half the damn thing.

closest i've come to beating him is when we both had 2 kills each, i had a level 1 and he had a level 1, i tossed out my propane tank, surprise, it didn't hit, he activated his super simultaneously, and i died.

And OK, so granted i'm not an expert at the game, and i'm probably too tired to be playing right now, but did Superbot playtest this goddamn rival match at all? they had to have known a lot of people just starting would begin with Drake. they should have lowered sly's meter steal for the rival fight or something.

any tips for this? the strategy that seems to work is using a bunch of air attacks, and completely avoiding ground but it's tedious as all hell.

Lower the difficulty?

Noi

I don't count Kratos, Ratchet and Sly as PS2 reps, as there as till games being made for them on the PS3 and the characters are mostly based on their PS3 incarnations. The breakdown as I see it, by platform and including third parties:

PS3 - Kratos, FP, Cole, Evil Cole, Heihachi, Radec, Big Daddy, Drake, Sweet Tooth, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, Dino, Ratchet & Clank, Raiden, Nariko

PS2 - Jak and Daxter

PS1 - Sir Dan, Spike, Parappa

PSP - Zilch.

Vita - Nada.

And even if you counted them as PS2 reps, that's still 12 PS3 reps vs 4 PS2 ones. This is what I mean with the roster being incredibly focused on current gen, with only the bare minimum for the other platforms. Dan being in the game is a miracle seeing the trend from every other character.

I'd rather ditch the four current third parties and put in four more first parties. To answer the question though, I'd take out both Nariko and FP, make Cole one character (like I mentioned before, not just axe Evil Cole) and put in an RPG rep, a "handheld" rep and another oddball character, maybe even keep FP in.

I've said it before, but Radec as a character is a great pick. He represents the FPS genre as well as the Killzone games, and the Hellghast are way more iconic than the heroes from those games.

I don't count Kratos, Ratchet and Sly as PS2 reps, as there as till games being made for them on the PS3 and the characters are mostly based on their PS3 incarnations. The breakdown as I see it, by platform and including third parties:

PS3 - Kratos, FP, Cole, Evil Cole, Heihachi, Radec, Big Daddy, Drake, Sweet Tooth, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, Dino, Ratchet & Clank, Raiden, Nariko

PS2 - Jak and Daxter

PS1 - Sir Dan, Spike, Parappa

PSP - Zilch.

Vita - Nada.

And even if you counted them as PS2 reps, that's still 12 PS3 reps vs 4 PS2 ones. This is what I mean with the roster being incredibly focused on current gen, with only the bare minimum for the other platforms. Dan being in the game is a miracle seeing the trend from every other character.

I'd rather ditch the four current third parties and put in four more first parties. To answer the question though, I'd take out both Nariko and FP, make Cole one character (like I mentioned before, not just axe Evil Cole) and put in an RPG rep, a "handheld" rep and another oddball character, maybe even keep FP in.
I've said it before, but Radec as a character is a great pick. He represents the FPS genre as well as the Killzone games, and the Hellghast are way more iconic than the heroes from those games.

Sir Dan and Jak had PSP games good sir. Parappa the Rapper 2 is a ps2 game and he had a psp port but that don't count. Spike had ps2 games and is based on ps2 game.

I guess theres 0 ps1 reps :(.

WinFonda

Lower the difficulty?
lol, my pride won't let me lower difficulties after i set it - in any game. anyway, i just beat it after writing that post. i went to the edge of the map and GAU spammed a bit, he whiffed a couple level 1's, and I nearly 3-0'd him. maybe i just needed a little break. still, much more difficult than i would have thought.

Top Bottom