• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

Civilization Revolution 2 Plus vita got delayed again. No new date. Sounds like 2K wants to make the game disappear. For no reason.

Since I have a copy of Civ Rev 2, fully in English with no notable bugs, this is bizarre.

OT: http://nichegamer.com/2016/01/rumor-new-patent-for-ps-vita-with-click-able-analog-sticks-is-found/

Patent for Vita with clickable analogue sticks?

That's grand and all, but far too late for the vast majority of games, and I doubt the games that need it will be patched, so meh.

Most exciting thing about that is that if there's a new hardware revision, there's still a chance for 128GB memory cards :p

I think there might be an error with the Flash! Sale.

I went into the Vita section and Teslagrad was listed as Free. Put it into my cart, looked around and saw nothing else I needed at the moment and checked out.

Cross-buy got me the PS4 version (sale price of $4.50/#) too.

RK128

I think there might be an error with the Flash! Sale.

I went into the Vita section and Teslagrad was listed as Free. Put it into my cart, looked around and saw nothing else I needed at the moment and checked out.

Cross-buy got me the PS4 version (sale price of $4.50/#) too.

You likely own the game already for PS3 and it activated cross-buy on PS Vita and PS4.

Lets face it; the Vita is on its final good year in 2016 :l. While we got a lot of localizations and indie games coming, this is it for Vita software. I honestly don't see a massive amount of announcements for 2017 games like we got with 2015, so I'm feeling like 'This is it man :l' in terms of Vita output this year.

Not dissing the massive amount of games coming out this year, but I don't picture a future for 2017 and 2018 for the system.

This poll is a helpful too, as it could lead to more stuff coming out in 2017 and 2018 if we get enough votes and while it bites that its coming down to us screaming to Sony to help get ports on Vita (Banner Saga) and begging (this poll), its better then getting nothing at all.

I'm thinking realistic here; we are lucky to get the amount of Vita games that we got and the fact we are getting more, is not just impressive but something that was unexpected after how badly the console sold at retail the past few years.

I love my Vita and I am pushing this poll as much as I can on the internet (made a thread about this, linked to this a lot on Twitter, ect) to ensure these four games have a shot at coming to the Vita. Is it stupid? Sure, these should be on Vita already and hearing that Galaxytrail is not making a Vita port out of good will (the game came out on Wii U with no poll or anything) is disappointing but whatever.

Vita may mean life, but thats if we put energy in ensuring more games come out for the thing. If we sit back and do nothing (not buy games, not voice our thoughts), then the system will die in no time. If people think I'm wrong stating this, feel free to correct me, but that is my opinion.

What I want on my Vita from the "indie scene" are the innovative games or the games made by adults for adults, games like Invisible Inc, her story, Infinifactory, the fall, sunless sea, this war of mine, gone home, tharsis, the witness etc.

I loved both actual sunlight and three fourths home and would like to see more games like that on the vita.

It feels that because of the "indie" label, there are no longer a difference between something made by experienced developers and student projects and lately we have gotten a lot of games that, I would guess, are the latter.

RK128

What I want on my Vita from the "indie scene" are the innovative games or the games made by adults for adults, games like Invisible Inc, her story, Infinifactory, the fall, sunless sea, this war of mine, gone home, tharsis, the witness etc.

I loved both actual sunlight and three fourths home and would like to see more games like that on the vita.

It feels that because of the "indie" label, there are no longer a difference between something made by experienced developers and student projects and lately we have gotten a lot of games that, I would guess, are the latter.

You mean games having a 'message' or something? Because if that is what you are saying.....I sorta understand your point. Games are an art form and playing around with the medium can lead to amazing results.

One case I remember was last semester of my college, were for my English Class, my professor put one of the students on the main computer and we all worked together to play 'The Stanley Parable'. We talked about the different endings, what endings we got (we all played the game on our own prior to the lesson) and it was a grand old time :).

We also played this Silent Hill-esc game called 'Shih Ho' which was a free-ware indie game for PCs. The game was really something visually and it like TSP, pushed a lot of conversation and the like.

Video games being used to teach elements of English (story telling, narrative creation, using different mediums to tell stories, ect) to a group of college students.....that is the power of indie games man :').

I don't expect the Vita to get a lot of games like the ones you are listing in the future but it would be cool for the system to play around with its inputs to create really interesting games.

You likely own the game already for PS3 and it activated cross-buy on PS Vita and PS4.

That must have been it. But it was weird that the Vita version was showing as Free but the PS4 version was showing as $4.50 on the store.

I was wondering but yeah, it looks like I did pick up the PS3 version back in September in anticipation of the cross buy later... and then totally forgot about it. Good catch.

I will however not beg for games that IMO, looks like a lesser phone game(FF something) or a demo version of something that never happened (Yakuza). The other two games are not my type of games or similar to games I already own, so sadly I have no interest in them either.

At least fill in the survey, even if you don't want the titles. I think the feedback is still taken into account by him, and if he can get a lot of responses it bodes well for if he does a second or third round of voting (which seems likely).

By the way, I can understand where you're coming from. I'd have felt similarly if we hadn't gotten to a stage where like 5 indies get announced on the PS Blog each week and all of them are for only PS4. That's beginning to sting.

You mean games having a 'message' or something? Because if that is what you are saying.....I sorta understand your point. Games are an art form and playing around with the medium can lead to amazing results.

One case I remember was last semester of my college, were for my English Class, my professor put one of the students on the main computer and we all worked together to play 'The Stanley Parable'. We talked about the different endings, what endings we got (we all played the game on our own prior to the lesson) and it was a grand old time :).

We also played this Silent Hill-esc game called 'Shih Ho' which was a free-ware indie game for PCs. The game was really something visually and it like TSP, pushed a lot of conversation and the like.

Video games being used to teach elements of English (story telling, narrative creation, using different mediums to tell stories, ect) to a group of college students.....that is the power of indie games man :').

I don't expect the Vita to get a lot of games like the ones you are listing in the future but it would be cool for the system to play around with its inputs to create really interesting games.

As I am a pretentious Artist (all conceptual, mainly readymades and installations) I will try to sidestep the whole games as Art discussion.

What I want from the games I play is either something new or a better version of an old concept. That could be the writing, the characters, game mechanics, controls, graphics/style, scale, perspectives, sound etc.

At least fill in the survey, even if you don't want the titles. I think the feedback is still taken into account by him, and if he can get a lot of responses it bodes well for if he does a second or third round of voting (which seems likely).

By the way, I can understand where you're coming from. I'd have felt similarly if we hadn't gotten to a stage where like 5 indies get announced on the PS Blog each week and all of them are for only PS4. That's beginning to sting.

I did the survey as soon as I saw it and ended up with a bad conscience afterwards because I was being honest about not wanting any of the games. I felt that I had let the rest of the fans down by being honest, but at the same time I felt happy that I had been able to choose which type of games I hope for in the future.

So what the hell happened with Boy and his Blob? I purchased it when it first went up (and it was late going up, so like 7pm) and I paid $9.99. Now I see it's 15% off for $8.49. So I got screwed out of a discount for buying it too early before they applied the discount? Is there anyone I can e-mail to see if they would put the 1.50 back in my wallet?

So what the hell happened with Boy and his Blob? I purchased it when it first went up (and it was late going up, so like 7pm) and I paid $9.99. Now I see it's 15% off for $8.49. So I got screwed out of a discount for buying it too early before they applied the discount? Is there anyone I can e-mail to see if they would put the 1.50 back in my wallet?

good fucking luck lol. This is sony we're talking about.

Clive

Man the DQB demo is looking rough. bummer.

As in the game or the Vita version? I use my Playstation TV as my Japanese account for the Vita and DQB is incompatible. Tried it on the PS4 and I was a bit disappointed in it feeling more like Minecraft than Dragon Quest but it ran fine at least.

good fucking luck lol. This is sony we're talking about.

I know. One time, I was trying to purchase something on the store, it added the money needed to my wallet to purchase it, but crashed at the same time. So when the store came back, the games were still in my cart, so I went to purchase them, and it funded my wallet the $15 AGAIN because apparently the purchase went through the first time even though they were still showing as purchasable in my cart, which should not happen. So I asked them to refund it back to my credit card, and got the form letter about the one time exception yadda yadda. Yeah ok, your crappy glitchy crashy store rips me off and you're doing me a favour with an exception lol

As in the game or the Vita version? I use my Playstation TV as my Japanese account for the Vita and DQB is incompatible. Tried it on the PS4 and I was a bit disappointed in it feeling more like Minecraft than Dragon Quest but it ran fine at least.
The Vita version is subnative and really doesn't retain the art very well, judging by the screenies.
They refund people for mistakes like this all the time.

^ Check their support chat.
This is not what I've heard.

Massa

The Vita version is subnative and really doesn't retain the art very well, judging by the screenies.

This is not what I've heard.

It's changed in recent months. I don't remember what the last case was but just recently there were a few people on GAF getting $5 or $10 vouchers from a support person because of a mistake just like this one.

Clive

Screenies of subnative games is usually a poor way of judging them IMO. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Metal Gears and Soul Sacrifice all look fine on the Vita but awful in screenshots.

pa6uMrv.jpg

Aces of the Luftwaffe PS4 - This is bad claustrophobic version of 1942. I am pretty sure this is a phone port. Lots of grinding to progress. Nope.

ctHlqTK.jpg

Beach Buggy Racing PS4 - This is an ok racer and much better than Super Toy Cars. Nice art and runs well. Not the most exciting game but good quality.

WwyLPrP.jpg

Riptide GP2 PS4 - Acrade racer that is surprisingly good. Looks kinda amazing for a game that is ported from a phone/tablets. Not the most deepest game but a lot of fun.

autoduelist

I'd hope so, but FW isn't looking great so far.

FW? I'd think you meant Freedom Wars but that doesn't make sense in context. Nor does firm ware.

I don't want to talk down on this project and I appreciate all the work he has put into it, but (to me) this paints a very sad picture of where the vita is going and how far we, as fans, have moved the goalposts.

Personally I have to draw the line here.

None of those games particularly appeal to me either, but it's what I'd expect from that sort of project. I'm surprised he had any success at all, personally, and that has nothing really to do with the health of the vita. Can you imagine cold calling publishers for games even for a more successful system like the 3ds? I'm not sure what people expected?

Civilization Revolution 2 Plus vita got delayed again. No new date. Sounds like 2K wants to make the game disappear. For no reason.

I don't understand the constant 'negative spin' people put on everything in this thread. We have no idea what is going on here -- they could have found a bug that needs fixing, or want to wait for some marketing reason, or even [though quite unlikely] have it go up with ps+ as someone else mentioned. Suggesting they 'want to make it disappear' is entirely a notion without basis in anything factual, and just feeds the negative attitudes prevalent of late.

I love this thread, I really do, but some of you just need to take a chill pill and realize reading gloom and doom into every single thing is what is creating the sense of gloom and doom you're feeling in the first place.

enjoy all the the amazing games we're getting! Stop trying to predict tomorrow is the end!

Is Eiyuu Senki good? I just read up on it, and the screen shots look like I really might love the strategic gameplay... but then I read it's a visual novel, which makes me want to break my head. So... has anyone played it? Is it any good? The fact that it used to be some sort of adult game has no bearing on my decision and is a non-issue to me.

OT: http://nichegamer.com/2016/01/rumor-new-patent-for-ps-vita-with-click-able-analog-sticks-is-found/

That's grand and all, but far too late for the vast majority of games, and I doubt the games that need it will be patched, so meh.

Most exciting thing about that is that if there's a new hardware revision, there's still a chance for 128GB memory cards :p

I don't think they'd ever change Vita games. They wouldn't want to split user bases. It'll either a) never happen, b) happen with next handheld, or c) be a remote play based revision. But vita games will likely always be req'd to be playable w/o.

Sony sales always take a while to kick into gear. Always wait for a little bit. But you should be able to call them and get it fixed, if it's worth $1.50 for the time spent.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Since I have a copy of Civ Rev 2, fully in English with no notable bugs, this is bizarre.

I can hardly think of a game on the vita that needs clickable sticks. The 4 or 5 1st person shooters will benefit from it, and...?

I don't use both services/features, so it is not a feature I really want.

Although if they relase a new vita for 150, I'd probably buy it. My OG feels a bit long in the tooth.

I don't use them either that much/at all, but that's the only thing I can think of. They're not going to make new games that require clickable sticks, that's for sure.

If it comes with other improvements, I'm definitely down for a new revision as well. I predicted a 3000 for this year (at least in Asia), let's see if I'm right haha

RK128

Hello guys :).

If you are staying home due to the snowstorm, what are you guys playing to kill the time? I'm playing a few Vita games (Ar No Surge Plus, Oddworld New N' Tasty, ect) and some PS3 games (SSX for example).

If you are staying home due to the snowstorm, what are you guys playing to kill the time? I'm playing a few Vita games (Ar No Surge Plus, Oddworld New N' Tasty, ect) and some PS3 games (SSX for example).

Trying to finally get the ball rolling on Trails in the Sky SC. Just finished Chapter 2 yesterday and making some headway in Chapter 3 now.

RK128

Trying to finally get the ball rolling on Trails in the Sky SC. Just finished Chapter 2 yesterday and making some headway in Chapter 3 now.

Good idea :D! Playing a good JRPG during bad weather is always a great way to kill some time.

Might play more of Ar No Surge Plus latter or revisit a PS1 JRPG I put down a while back (Breath of Fire IV, FFVII).

No snowstorm here, but Atelier Meruru has sucked me in just like Totori did.

It's weird, I love the series, but Rorona and Ayesha were a bit meh (still enjoyed them). Totori and Meruru have been fantastic though.

With Ayesha, I played it on PS3 which I'm not sure helped (series seems much better on handheld).

autoduelist

If that is the case, L2 and R2 should also be added.

Well, sure, that would be the idea. But this is just a patent application for clickable sticks. They're not going to mention other things. Who knows if it'll come to anything.

Highlight from the PSN flash sale:

PS3 Eiyuu Senki – The World Conquest $16.00

I want to pull the trigger. But I think I can resist at $16. I can't tell if I'd love the strategic side, and even though one of the reviews mentioned you can essentially skip all the dialog I'm concerned a game built around being a VN wouldn't have meaty enough strategy.

incpdo

No snowstorm here, but Atelier Meruru has sucked me in just like Totori did.

It's weird, I love the series, but Rorona and Ayesha were a bit meh (still enjoyed them). Totori and Meruru have been fantastic though.

With Ayesha, I played it on PS3 which I'm not sure helped (series seems much better on handheld).
I want to play these games but they are so expensive and big in size.I'll probably get the last one , I believe that one has a physical version . I prefer to spend a little more money but to get an artbook and stuff than to get only the game for 40u$

Regarding the votevita subject. I don't see why 2017 seems so dark for you guys. I mean in reality we have more localized games every year , and more announcements. I only see as logical seeing the big picture that as we see more games we will see more cancellations as well. The year started in a bittersweet way. Cancellations and announcements. I mean this month was a weird month and it didn't end yet.

I see as a great thing this type of projects, it shows the love this system is having from the fans . and also it shows they are realistic and are requesting games that are on the verge of being ported to Vita but for reasons unknown ( specifically talking) the companies are not doing it.

I can care less for that mana game but freedom planet would be great as well as the yakuza app.

Are votevita and limitedrungames projects that reflects the future of the console? I don't think so, but they will help getting companies to see what sony doesn't show. That we are still here and we buy games.

For some reason this year started as a premonition of what to expect according to some Vita fans.
Do yourselves a favor , do not expect nothing , keep supporting these projects and talk with your wallets. Good things will come after that.

RK128

Regarding the votevita subject. I don't see why 2017 seems so dark for you guys. I mean in reality we have more localized games every year , and more announcements. I only see as logical seeing the big picture that as we see more games we will see more cancellations as well. The year started in a bittersweet way. Cancellations and announcements. I mean this month was a weird month and it didn't end yet.

I see as a great thing this type of projects, it shows the love this system is having from the fans . and also it shows they are realistic and are requesting games that are on the verge of being ported to Vita but for reasons unknown ( specifically talking) the companies are not doing it.

I can care less for that mana game but freedom planet would be great as well as the yakuza app.

Are votevita and limitedrungames projects that reflects the future of the console? I don't think so, but they will help getting companies to see what sony doesn't show. That we are still here and we buy games.

For some reason this year started as a premonition of what to expect according to some Vita fans.
Do yourselves a favor , do not expect nothing , keep supporting these projects and talk with your wallets. Good things will come after that.

You bring up great points and I agree; a lot is coming this year and if we put the energy into it, 2017 will be a good year for the console.

I'm late but...
It's changed in recent months. I don't remember what the last case was but just recently there were a few people on GAF getting $5 or $10 vouchers from a support person because of a mistake just like this one.
Yeah, talked to some folks and they also said they'd heard of some instances. Guess it's just confirmation bias. Still seems out of character for sony, though.
Screenies of subnative games is usually a poor way of judging them IMO. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Metal Gears and Soul Sacrifice all look fine on the Vita but awful in screenshots.

https://youtu.be/XsF1OpjK3k0

I actually think it looks pretty good :)
For sure. And that video footage looks better, but I'm still a bit bummed. Seems like they could do more with it.

Hi, I wanted to know if there's anywhere where I can keep track of limited launch dlc, since it seems to be being used more often in JRPG's at least.
Also, are demo bonuses still a thing? I remember having to play the last pokemon for it, but nothing after that.

yaffi

Is Eiyuu Senki good? I just read up on it, and the screen shots look like I really might love the strategic gameplay... but then I read it's a visual novel, which makes me want to break my head. So... has anyone played it? Is it any good? The fact that it used to be some sort of adult game has no bearing on my decision and is a non-issue to me.

It's more visual novel than SRPG. I would say around 70/30.

None of those games particularly appeal to me either, but it's what I'd expect from that sort of project. I'm surprised he had any success at all, personally, and that has nothing really to do with the health of the vita. Can you imagine cold calling publishers for games even for a more successful system like the 3ds? I'm not sure what people expected?

I don't understand the constant 'negative spin' people put on everything in this thread. We have no idea what is going on here -- they could have found a bug that needs fixing, or want to wait for some marketing reason, or even [though quite unlikely] have it go up with ps+ as someone else mentioned. Suggesting they 'want to make it disappear' is entirely a notion without basis in anything factual, and just feeds the negative attitudes prevalent of late.

I love this thread, I really do, but some of you just need to take a chill pill and realize reading gloom and doom into every single thing is what is creating the sense of gloom and doom you're feeling in the first place.

enjoy all the the amazing games we're getting! Stop trying to predict tomorrow is the end!

That is why I underlined that it wasn't a doom and gloom post and as I wrote, there are a lot of games that I'm looking forward to. To me though, this campaign was a wake-up call of how much we (the fans) have changed.

we are still getting a steady stream of localization announcements and this might have changed us into thinking that every japanese game needs a release in the west (and that it has become it's own purpose). In a way games as achievements/trophies.

The other thing are games made by smaller developers and the fear of the Vita library stigma. I have been so fixated with telling people that the Vita have a lot of games in it's library, that I have started to put quantity before quality. Of course I'm exaggerating but basically I started to see every game as a number and pretended that every game was equal.

What I don't see as much nowadays, is some quality announcements of smaller games/"indie games". the list of smaller upcoming games is no joke, and every month we are able to scratch great games of that list(when they get released). Unfortunately many of those games were announced a long time ago (things like banner saga, darkest dungeon, salt & sanctuary, new and tasty, volume, bastion, roundabout, etc.) and I don't see us getting a lot of new announcements of that quality

This could be that it's still early in the year or that smaller developers no longer see the Vita as a relevant platform for their games. Maybe Sony once again has taken for granted that developers will keep developing for the Vita because other developers has done so in the past.

These are, as you understand, just speculations and one way to see things.

deadfolk

...Ar No Surge Plus...

One day I'll finally finish reading the ciel nosurge summary and actually get to start playing this. I don't know if it's novel-length or just seems that way because it's such a dry read when you're not actually playing the game.

Having said that, I really appreciate the amount of effort it must have taken to write it!

deadfolk

The guy is just terrible at writing. I think it's worth reading in the end, but man, it's painful.
It's like he lost the ability to summarize midway through.

It's a tough read, but I don't want to criticise the dude. He obviously put a lot of effort into writing this so people like us could enjoy the story when we play the sequel. I can't imagine how long it must have taken.

People are enjoying the flash sale's results while I'm abroad and won't be touching the Vita until the 30th ;_; (got Sound Shapes anyways)

One day I'll finally finish reading the ciel nosurge summary and actually get to start playing this. I don't know if it's novel-length or just seems that way because it's such a dry read when you're not actually playing the game.

Having said that, I really appreciate the amount of effort it must have taken to write it!

If you don't have time to read it, some guy have made a video where he is reading a summary of ciel no surge (53:44min).

https://youtu.be/KI_Cmc7f86o

Also, that intro music is so good :D

Top Bottom