• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Kudo

"Global Edition" is just a name, it's not meant to imply anything about region compatibility. It's just like the Final Fantasy "international" editions.

Maybe just implies that it sold well overseas too as the box art says stuff like "For all the dungeon RPG lovers worldwide!".
Wasn't expecting the DLC to be compatible in first place as it's JP release so just makes sense to have JP DLC included too, shame it was a separate download though and not on the game card.

SerTapTap

Unlike other posters, I wasn't particularly a fan of the art. I want my dungeon explorers wearing medieval armor and dripping in filth, not playing dress up. Disgaea art didn't solve the issue, but it was still fun.

There's nothing inherently wrong with serious, high-fantasy medieval costume/monsters but goddamn it's right up there with gritty near-future military in terms of over-saturation. I'll take almost anything else at this point, even if it seemed like the coolest shit...like..10+ years ago. The more games I play the more I appreciate the Final Fantasy trend of mixing stuff up significantly with every game, especially visible in 6-12.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Any thoughts on Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo?

Looks kinda interesting.
I'm still early but i like it.
It's simple, barebones and maybe it could be repetitive for some, but it's very enjoyable for me, you can think of it as a 90's arcade game, it's basically:
customization -> mission -> customization, with few lines of dialogues before and after a mission.

There are some kinds of mission(destroy certain enemies, reach a point before the time runs out, collect something etc), some enemies leave parts that you can use for your mech but you can also buy them, parts can have some additional propreties and these can have a different level of rarity, in many missions you have one or more companions but they are definetively not there to do your job lol.

You use the square for the left hand weapon, triangle for the right hand weapon, circle for the shoulder weapon(think of it as a super move), with cross you dash, with L you use a heal module while with R you go fast.

Imo it's a real arcade game and perfect for quick sessions.

As a non-japanese speaker, what's that?
This
1393556244-8.jpg

RK128

Oh great! Now I need to decide if a pack of psp games I'll likely never play is worth $20 or not.

still looking for feedback on the psp Star Wars games, and MGS Peace Walker.

I only own Battlefront II out of all the PSP Star wars games but here is what I know about the rest of them:
-ES is more or less the 'finished' version Free Radicals Battlefront III before that was cancelled; the game has stream-less ground-to-air combat. You can't aim your weapons, as it is tied to a lock on mechanic, but it overall looks like a solid game.
-No idea about the other Battlefront PSP game but it should be a good game :)
-Battlefront II is a great port of the PS2 version; very stable frame-rate, good to okay visuals, great music, and rock solid controls thanks to the Vita's right stick (mapping the face buttons to the right stick).
-Force Unleashed PSP should be a fun action game, as it is a mix between the Wii version of Force Unleashed and its own thing through 'flash back' missions feature scenes from the movies. Don't own it, but it should be a great time if it is anything like the original game :D.
-Lego Star Wars III is likely the best Lego game you can play on your Vita, next to Lego Batman 2, as both games are classic lego games; no open-world gameplay but fun, tight level design mixed with some great moments here and their :).
-MGS Peace Walker should be a great game, but the PSP version has frame rate issues, so pick up the PS3 version of the game if that is on sale. I would recommend it with a bigger response.....but I am not a huge MGS fan sadly :l.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Since I never played anything remotely closed, and just comparing the screens and the gameplay I saw from this game, will Ray Gigant be similar?

Exploration and normal fights will probably be similar, boss fights in Ray Gigant will be different because characters will fight the same boss from different places.

autoduelist

The game of your dreams, also known as Stranger of the Sword City.

That one is already high on my radar (my #1 localization desire since I first saw it) and is exactly what I'm talking about regarding art. I find that a fine mix of cultural influences achieving a nice selection of dungeon attire that doesn't affront my sensibilities like teens in suits and bikinis does.

There's nothing inherently wrong with serious, high-fantasy medieval costume/monsters but goddamn it's right up there with gritty near-future military in terms of over-saturation. I'll take almost anything else at this point, even if it seemed like the coolest shit...like..10+ years ago. The more games I play the more I appreciate the Final Fantasy trend of mixing stuff up significantly with every game, especially visible in 6-12.

I will never get tired of historically based battle attire -- medieval armor, samurai, etc. It doesn't need to be super realistic (though I do like gritty/dark/realistic) - for example, Soul Sacrifice had amazing art with its take on myth / fairy tales /etc, but the whole 'teens in costume save the universe' has never been my thing.

I'm still early but i like it.
It's simple, barebones and maybe it could be repetitive for some, but it's very enjoyable for me, you can think of it as a 90's arcade game, it's basically:
customization -> mission -> customization, with few lines of dialogues before and after a mission.

This
1393556244-8.jpg

That looks amazing.

Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo sounds cool too.

I only own Battlefront II out of all the PSP Star wars games but here is what I know about the rest of them:
SNIP
-MGS Peace Walker should be a great game, but the PSP version has frame rate issues, so pick up the PS3 version of the game if that is on sale. I would recommend it with a bigger response.....but I am not a huge MGS fan sadly :l.

Well, thanks! You're making my job of resisting them harder, since they all sound great. I just have to balance that with the fact that I know I'll never play them due to backlog.

I don't care about frame rate issues much, and I actually might play MGSPW on my vita, whereas I don't turn on my ps3 anymore.

RK128

Well, thanks! You're making my job of resisting them harder, since they all sound great. I just have to balance that with the fact that I know I'll never play them due to backlog.

I don't care about frame rate issues much, and I actually might play MGSPW on my vita, whereas I don't turn on my ps3 anymore.

No problem man, happy to to help :).

If I had to recommend one game out of the Star Wars bundle and MGSPW, it would be Force Unleashed PSP. If it is anything close to the console version, it will offer great action combat, good looking visuals, fun usage of the force and some extra features only on the PSP version (the flash-back missions I mentioned before).

Lego Star Wars III should be a good time, as should the other Battlefront games, but if you want fun action combat, you can't do wrong with Force Unleashed PSP :D. Might get it myself at some point; spent way to much on games the past month or so XD.

RK128

There's lots of good stuff in that Golden Week sale. Eying a couple of titles I missed.

What games are you looking at in particular? I got Demon Gaze, Riviara and The Firefly Diary from the sale, so I can recommend those three personally :D.

Demon Gaze is a great DRPG that is very welcoming to newcomers like myself into the genre, Rivirara is a interesting JRPG (which itself is a remake of a Wondersawn/GBA game) but a great deal at its 2.50 price point, and Firefly Diary looks amazing on the Vita's screen alongside making great use of the touch screen (though you can use physical controls if you want).

I also highly recommend Grurmin: A Monstrous Adventure :D. It is a mix of 3D Zelda, Mega Man Legends and Sonic Adventure; you can't do no wrong with this one XD! The visuals look great, the core gameplay is a lot of fun, the characters are really charming and the game has a ton to collect, buy and explore. One of the early PSP games I got for my Vita and I loved playing through the first half of it :). And it being 3 something right now? A steal price for such a underrated gem :).

Man, a certain card game is taking all my free time. I think it satisfied my inner craving for Yugi-oh! Anybody who needs help with the online trophies of this game should just PM me for a set time and date. I will be willing to help fellow Gaffers complete all the online trophies they need while also helping myself (by getting new chances for card packs).
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Suprisingly, out of all my purchases in this sale. The one that I'm enjoying playing the most is Bon Appetit. Although I haven't opened Demon Gaze for now so don't kill me.

Tizoc

Bah gawd does Demon Gaze have horrible character designs.

How can a stripper have a huge scar across her boob and think she can show it off to the rest of the world. Might as well walk around topless :V

VLiberty

-ES is more or less the 'finished' version Free Radicals Battlefront III before that was cancelled; the game has stream-less ground-to-air combat. You can't aim your weapons, as it is tied to a lock on mechanic, but it overall looks like a solid game.
-No idea about the other Battlefront PSP game but it should be a good game :)
-Battlefront II is a great port of the PS2 version; very stable frame-rate, good to okay visuals, great music, and rock solid controls thanks to the Vita's right stick (mapping the face buttons to the right stick).
-Force Unleashed PSP should be a fun action game, as it is a mix between the Wii version of Force Unleashed and its own thing through 'flash back' missions feature scenes from the movies. Don't own it, but it should be a great time if it is anything like the original game :D.
-Lego Star Wars III is likely the best Lego game you can play on your Vita, next to Lego Batman 2, as both games are classic lego games; no open-world gameplay but fun, tight level design mixed with some great moments here and their :).
That would probably be Lego Batman 1 and IJ 1, And Star Wars 2, if that's available on the store.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nice. Last question: Why can't I find Stranger of the Sword City on PSStore?
As shizuka said it's still to be localized, but the good news is that it should be the next DRPG to be localized :)
If you want something "serious" now you could try Elminage Original for PSP
elminage_original_image_GIlkk.jpg

Tizoc

Should I even bother buying equipment from the shops in Demon Gaze? The prices are intimidating and it does not appear that I get a lot of gold from battles :v

Ephidel

Should I even bother buying equipment from the shops in Demon Gaze? The prices are intimidating and it does not appear that I get a lot of gold from battles :v
No. Any equipment worth getting you'll probably get from summon circles.

Ambitious

Just unlocked the Tower of Fate in Shovel Knight. I'd like to finish the bonus stages before entering it, but I missed the
Propeller Dagger
which I need for Frigid Flight. Do I really have to finish a stage in order to keep all collectables? Because I really don't feel like playing the
Propeller Knight's
stage again.

Stranger would theoretically be next in line after Operation Abyss right? It would be so sad if we don't get this game. The art is really something else

EDIT: Just read a few posts above. good good.

AsfaeksBR

Yet to be localized and released in the West.

As shizuka said it's still to be localized, but the good news is that it should be the next DRPG to be localized :)
If you want something "serious" now you could try Elminage Original for PSP
elminage_original_image_GIlkk.jpg

Since it's the next to be localized, will wait for it.
And if this sells well they'll maybe localize Ray Gigant, which is nice.

Ephidel

That helps thanks. I can always save up for stronger equipment this way :p
What's the best party btw?
2 Attackes 1 Healer and 2 magic users?

The stronger equipment will probably come from the summon circles too :p

Party balance isn't really a question I'm going to be great at answering, unfortunately, but I'm sure some others will be able to weigh in :)
I very rarely use a 'best party' anyway, but in DG I decided to try running with just a Gazer and a Ranger (I still have one boss to go but I got distracted and started playing something else. Several times over. I seem to have an aversion to finishing things)

I do recommend a Ranger though! Mine has been a great damage dealer, both single and multi-target. Pierce rocks.

Other than that, Cross Fix is an incredibly useful skill that Assassins get 'naturally' and I think it was quite late in the game when I grabbed it in artifact form. I imagine having access to it earlier would have been pretty cool. And paladins are also meant to make cheesing some of the later fights easier, so if you're that way inclined possibly a paladin ;)

I have to admit I honestly can't imagine having played the game with a full on dedicated healer and two magic users, but I'm probably influenced by the fact that I didn't actually use any magic users. I can think of a few occasions when it might have made things interesting though.
(I tend to prefer physical damage in most dungeon crawlers, I guess because I'm used to the older style where magic has a relatively finite number of uses and I dislike 'relying' on it. Admittedly, DG having a regular mana system means that excuse doesn't really hold any water here)

Really, just pick what you think sounds interesting. And if you want to swap a character out later it won't be the end of the world -- at the beginning you might feel tight on money but it really isn't an issue once you get a bit further in :)

pariah164

What games are you looking at in particular?
I have all those you mentioned except Firefly Diary, which is one of the two I'm torn between. I was also looking at Arcana Heart: Love Max, since both have really good prices right now. Every time I bring up Firefly Diary, all I hear is how hard it is though.

autoduelist

Hmmm....

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/01/ultratron-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-on-may-12th/

It's a spiritual successor to Robotron 2084 called Ultratron. Which is great, and makes me want to buy it day 1... but they also made Titan Attacks, which was far too easy and short. So now I'm torn.

At least Eugene Jarvis is working with Housemarque now, so I KNOW we'll eventually be blessed by something masterful.

Does anyone know when was the last time Elminage Original was on sale?

I'm pretty sure it was on sale quite recently. Let me check....
Yup, April 14th.

Mind you, I think that was the first time it was ever on sale -- I bought it during one of the spend $x get $y back sales because it was on my list of 'PSP games that never go on sale that I am willing to buy full price'. Of course, all the other games on that list have also gone on sale since I bought them full price.

I still don't regret buying it at full price.

Shizuka

I already have it, but on my PSP account, not my Vita. I was thinking of buying all PSP DRPGs again on my Vita, but I'll just wait on Elminage Original and get both Class of Heroes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So hotline Miami. Never played it because I figured it was inaccessible and not my cup of tea.

But I just watched a 'first play' on ginxTV and I want to try it out. Is there much difference between the first and second games? Should I jump in with HM2 or start with the first game? Lastly is it cross buy? Not sure whether I'd prefer to play on vita or PS4

Edit: just found out the first game shows up as free for me so I guess it was PS+ at some point?

Is it cross save?

AsfaeksBR

So hotline Miami. Never played it because I figured it was inaccessible and not my cup of tea.

But I just watched a 'first play' on ginxTV and I want to try it out. Is there much difference between the first and second games? Should I jump in with HM2 or start with the first game? Lastly is it cross buy? Not sure whether I'd prefer to play on vita or PS4

Start with Hotline Miami 1. IIRC, it was already on Plus.
Gameplay wise, little difference. But story and "setting"-wise, the first one is superior.
Yes, it is Cross-Buy, and everyone says that the Vita is the superior version across all platforms.

HM controls really well on Vita and the game really doesn't gain a lot from a big screen. Definitely use headphones though, the music is a huge part of the experience. Haven't played HM2 so I can't say anything about it but HM is pretty close to a perfect game imo.

Massa

Edit: just found out the first game shows up as free for me so I guess it was PS+ at some point?

Is it cross save?

Hotline Miami 2 continues exactly where HM1 leaves off, difficulty wise.

And yep, it is cross save. Play it with headphones.

Mentioning Stranger of Sword City has summoned the screenshot fairy

Love the aesthetic of this game. Really hoping Op Abyss sells well enough to warrant a localization of both Babel and Sword City.

I have all those you mentioned except Firefly Diary, which is one of the two I'm torn between. I was also looking at Arcana Heart: Love Max, since both have really good prices right now. Every time I bring up Firefly Diary, all I hear is how hard it is though.

If you care at all about online, Love Max is effectively dead. Even through the most recent sale it was mostly dead.

Firefly Diary is hard, but I really did enjoy it.

Ventara

So guys, I have $50 to spend, and I want your opinions on what to get. So far, here's the list I've come up with.

Buy

Sorcery Saga ($6)
Gurumin ($2.50)
Hyperdimension Neptunia: PP ($9)
Demon Gaze ($12)

Probably Buy

Catherine ($5)
Senran Kagura Bon Appetit ($7.50)
Resonance of Fate ($8)
Symphonia Chronicles ($9)

Maybe Buy

Suikoden 2 ($4, never played the 1st one)
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny ($7.50)
Firefly Diary ($9)
Citizens of Earth ($9)
Chaos Code ($3)
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll ($8)
The Guided Fate Paradox ($5)
Mamorukun Curse ($2.50)
Pier Solar ($6)

Shizuka

So guys, I have $50 to spend, and I want your opinions on what to get. So far, here's the list I've come up with.

Buy

Sorcery Saga ($6)
Gurumin ($2.50)
Hyperdimension Neptunia: PP ($9)
Demon Gaze ($12)

Probably Buy

Catherine ($5)
Senran Kagura Bon Appetit ($7.50)
Resonance of Fate ($8)
Symphonia Chronicles ($9)

Maybe Buy

Suikoden 2 ($4, never played the 1st one)
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny ($7.50)
Firefly Diary ($9)
Citizens of Earth ($9)
Chaos Code ($3)
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll ($8)
The Guided Fate Paradox ($5)
Mamorukun Curse ($2.50)
Pier Solar ($6)

That's a good list. From the "maybe" list, I'd get TGFP and Mamoru-kun.

Move Suikoden II into the "Buy" section and get 1 as well. For the others I expect opinions to be very split for a lot of the titles so just get whatever looks best to you. :) The Buy section looks good even though I think Sorcery Saga is very shallow and boring. I personally bought Guided Fate Paradox and Mamorukun Curse because they seem pretty cheap for what they're offering. I wanted to get Rune Factory as well but it seems like the worst of all of them, so I'll just wait for a sale on RF4 on 3DS instead.

Top Bottom