• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now (NA) adds 50 new games, subscription 30% off

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
To be fair, the assumption comes into play because the streaming platform is primarily marketed and utilized on PS3/PS4 consoles, and the timeline of the Gaikai purchase did correspond with knowledge that the PS4 couldn't support PS3 BC (and wasn't supporting the existing PS1/2 digital purchases from PSN).

You can argue the point that it's different, but the ideal functionality is very very close,

Of course Sony were going to utilise their PS hardware to promote PSNow, but the intention of this service is to untether the brand from PS hardware and make the games available to anyone with a good broadband connection. This is aimed at a completely different demographic and a much much bigger one. It's only a matter of time before PSNow is available on even more devices like tablets, laptops, PCs or capable phones as well as other TVs and Blu-ray brands. It's already on Samsung TVs and will roll out to others over the coming years. Then one day ... *flick*. Goodbye consoles.

Wait so the games listed aren't included with the sub? You still have to pay to rent?

From the sites FAQ:

What is the difference between PS Now rentals and subscription?
With the subscription you get unlimited access to a catalog of over 100 PS3 games to play as much as you like. Rentals give you the option to rent a specific game for a set period of time from a library of over 400 PS3 games. Some games will be available both in the subscription and for rental, but there will be additional games available in the rental library not found in the subscription.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can someone make a poll to find out how many people have a good experience with PSNow, how many people have an inconstant experience with PSNow and how many people have a bad experience with PSNow? Also ask for people to state their bandwidth in the replies.

I think people would find that interesting and informative.

Caayn

Is there any free stuff (demo of some sorts) that one cane use to try out this service?

I'm not really interested in using it but I'd like to experience how it performs myself.
...Also ask for people to state their bandwidth in the replies...
Bandwidth alone is not enough for this type of application. Latency is very important here.

c0de

Can the input lag ever be overcome by tech improvements in the next few years?

No. Packet delays can not be circumvented. You will always have routing involved and the latency will always depend on your isp, its peerings to the internet and how and where the datacenters from Sony are connected and reside.

c0de

Can someone make a poll to find out how many people have a good experience with PSNow, how many people have an inconstant experience with PSNow and how many people have a bad experience with PSNow? Also ask for people to state their bandwidth in the replies.

These are not enough variables to consider.
first, you would have to gather data for your home lan. do you use it with others? do you do downloads while playing? This will interfer with the performance of your router.
then: what is your isp? what is the Traceroute to the next psnow datacenter?
does it change over time? when and why?
just to name a few. The quality (picture and delay) rely way too much on things that are not obvious that the data might be interesting but would be mostly worthless.

Also, to your other post: let's hope this is not the future of gaming. Input delay and picture quality are inherently worse with this technique.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
These are not enough variables to consider.
first, you would have to gather data for your home lan. do you use it with others? do you do downloads while playing? This will interfer with the performance of your router.
then: what is your isp? what is the Traceroute to the next psnow datacenter?
does it change over time? when and why?
just to name a few. The quality (picture and delay) rely way too much on things that are not obvious that the data might be interesting but would be mostly worthless.

Also, to your other post: let's hope this is not the future of gaming. Input delay and picture quality are inherently worse with this technique.

Ok, fair enough, just ask the main three questions then. I still think it would be worthwhile to find out the percentages. This is a huge forum and the perfect place to get a rough idea of how satisfied people are.

It is the future I'm afraid. It's not that we want it, it's that the companies want it and they'll make it happen. We're talking many more years though.

driver116

Wait so the games listed aren't included with the sub? You still have to pay to rent?

Once you subscribe you have instant access to the games contained in the sub (you don't pay anything. Any games which are not included in the sub, you have to rent. But we have conflict as to whether or not the total games included in the sub is now 387 and not 100.

driver116

I seriously doubt they've recouped the $380 investment in Gaikai, let alone the subsequent engineering/promotion efforts.

It's irrelevant. That debt would have been written down a while ago. While we're at, let critique how the Xbox business is not recouped $10billion.

Madchad

I keep looking at this and almost subbing but then i look at my account which has this backlog from PS+

Untitled_1.jpg

Cant help but feel that 90% of those games are part of my library already and i still have a working ps3 to play them on >_> otherwise i would be all over it.

Matt_C

I am still waiting for Destiny to join PSNow so I can just bring a PSTV or Vita when I travel and not worry about my PS4 connection being down. Especially if Xûr is selling something nice and I am away from home.

As for OP, it is always good when more games are a part of the PSNow service.

GOOCHY

I'm trying out PS Now via the free trial and it is awesome! Jumped right into Ico and I'm looking forward to Shadow of the Colossus and the Ratchet games. The value proposition is there if you didn't play a lot of this stuff during the PS3 era.

Tanston

I wish they had more jrpgs on this, id subscribe they usually age well and i missed a bunch last gen especially the ps3 exclusives.

Two Words

Do people honestly find it appealing to pay for a service that lets you stream old ass games? You could find half of these games for $5 used at GameStop.

Can trophies be earned from ps now?
I know I'm late for this but keep in mind, PS Now trophies are just PS3 trophies. Lets say you already got the inFamous platinum on PS3 the normal way, on PS Now you will unlock trophies but they will not stack if you already have them originally on PS3.

Polls like this will not work because it will become console wars. I guarantee if you make that poll, you will have a majority that says PSNow is total crap and doesn't work.

Wish they'd throw SOCOM Confrontation on there and give it the Warhawk treatment by flipping the servers back on.

The awesome thing about Warhawk, is since you can use your own PS3 as a dedicated server (of course when you do this, you cannot play on it) there will probably always be servers to play on.

Or at least, if someone wants to set one up, there will always be servers.

Top Bottom