• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now (NA) adds 50 new games, subscription 30% off

Unknown?

Yeah. The majority of games are not included in the sub. And the rental prices are kind of a rip off. They do swap the games in the sub from time to time.

Ummmm there are 384 games included in the sub so most of them are included. The rental prices for 4 hours are ridiculous when 7 days are only a few dollars more. The 90 day rentals are mostly good value.

driver116

Ummmm there are 384 games included in the sub so most of them are included. The rental prices for 4 hours are ridiculous when 7 days are only a few dollars more. The 90 day rentals are mostly good value.

I thought there was around a hundred titles in the sub..?

Is there a list of the new stuff added in this specific batch?

That's a great deal, and I'm super tempted to buy a sub for the summer at that price.

ryseing

He said it's not possible. I would have said the same thing pre 360 BC. I know the PS3 is not the 360, but saying something is impossible seems silly at this point, especially if you are taking Sony's word for it.

The 360 doesn't have anything nearly as complex as the Cell to emulate.

Kysen

Does the account that connects to PS now have to be the one with the sub? Also does it require plus?

I want to use my main JP account to play lost planet but as I'm in the UK I want to use EU servers for latency.

One makes money, the other does not.
The servers are nothing special. Virtualisation is a wonderful, flexible tool.
Besides, the buyouts of Gaikai and OnLive, are written off as elimination.
It's an investment for the future. A pretty good one and all.

Do we even know how much Sony is making from PS Now?

Are they making money, or losing money? No one seems to be talking about it at all, and Sony barely mentions it anymore.

driver116

Nope. When you go to subscribe on the store there are sub tabs overview and games in subscription. It says 387 actually.

I'm not trying to disprove you, but are you sure the rental games are not just mixed into a giant list? I distinctly remember them saying it was going to be around 100 titles in the sub. If it's pretty much every game then it's incredible value.

driver116

Do we even know how much Sony is making from PS Now?

Are they making money, or losing money? No one seems to be talking about it at all, and Sony barely mentions it anymore.

Depends in what context.
For every sub, rental etc Sony's revenue increases.
How this translates to profit, there's no data.
At an educated guess I'd say they're borderline taking a loss.

Tapejara

I'm not trying to disprove you, but are you sure the rental games are not just mixed into a giant list? I distinctly remember them saying it was going to be around 100 titles in the sub. If it's pretty much every game then it's incredible value.

From the Blog Post

We’re also very excited to announce two other bits of news today. First, with the addition of tomorrow’s 50 new games, the PS Now Subscription catalog will have expanded to total more than 400 games.

Depends in what context.
For every sub, rental etc Sony's revenue increases.
How this translates to profit, there's no data.
At an educated guess I'd say they're borderline taking a loss.

Considering their ROI for purchasing the service in the first place (approximately $380 million), I'd have to think they're taking a heavy loss on the service so far since it's not setting the world on fire.

They need to get it on LOTS more devices. Maybe even write Windows, Mac, and mobile apps to allow for more customers.

driver116

Considering their ROI for purchasing the service in the first place (approximately $380 million), I'd have to think they're taking a heavy loss on the service so far since it's not setting the world on fire.

They need to get it on LOTS more devices. Maybe even write Windows, Mac, and mobile apps to allow for more customers.

I always believed there was more to the Gaikai buyout than meets the eye.
For example they could use the streaming tech for VoD, 4k in the future etc.

We’re also very excited to announce two other bits of news today. First, with the addition of tomorrow’s 50 new games, the PS Now Subscription catalog will have expanded to total more than 400 games.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psnow/subscriptions/

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's getting there. Still needs many more games and a more cost effective subscription option (tied with PS+?) but this is a step in the right direction.

They will need to get a good and accurate PS3 emulation solution going as the current PSNow setup still require CELL BE based blades and not commodity x86 CPU's.

Abdiel

Before MS made 360 game playable on XB1, I'd have believed you.

He said it's not possible. I would have said the same thing pre 360 BC. I know the PS3 is not the 360, but saying something is impossible seems silly at this point, especially if you are taking Sony's word for it.

This argument is ridiculous. The differences in the architecture between the 360 and the PS3 was already so drastic it caused problems with porting games just in the same generation. The hardware differences between the PS4 and the PS3 are radically, fundamentally different, and are not feasibly comparable for backwards compatibility. This has been weighed in on by numerous developers, not "taking Sony's word for it". This is a matter that's been hashed out repeatedly here on Gaf, from reliable dev sources.

It's not possible. I commend Microsoft for pulling it off (even with the difficulties some titles do show, it's still great they managed it at all), by using the relative similarities in core architecture. Unfortunately, the PS3 and the PS4 are radically different in every respect to how the systems operate.

Audioboxer

Nope, still want to play my disc's. Can see value in this for some though.

Please Sony just find a way to emulate PS3 with Neos extra power.

Nope, still want to play my disc's. Can see value in this for some though.

Please Sony just find a way to emulate PS3 with Neos extra power.

When will people learn...

You guys are close to giving Abdiel a brain tumor. Stop with BC, it is impossible in this current age.

BigDug13

Weird to offer BL2 and Presequel without DLC running at PS3 framerates and 2 person splitscreen when you can get the PS4 upgraded version with 60fps and 4 player splitscreen, all DLC, as well as options like FOV slider.

icespide

Banned
Weird to offer BL2 and Presequel without DLC running at PS3 framerates and 2 person splitscreen when you can get the PS4 upgraded version with 60fps and 4 player splitscreen, all DLC, as well as options like FOV slider.
PS Now is on TVs and shit. it's not just for PS4 owners

Gestault

If you compare it to something like Xbox BC then it's incredibly profitable. Though this is not BC.

I seriously doubt they've recouped the $380 investment in Gaikai, let alone the subsequent engineering/promotion efforts.

Before MS made 360 game playable on XB1, I'd have believed you.

The technical challenge is completely different due to the architecture. Yeah, Microsoft managed something impressive, but it's not even the same task. You're being unreasonable.

I'd imagine it was just an easy arrangement to get with the publisher, plus plenty of platforms you can use PS Now on aren't the PS4.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's not one of the problems is meant to solve. Ps3 backwards compatibility isn't possible. It's not. Please stop. Sigh.

Psnow is more geared towards folks with no console at all rather than people who want backwards compatibility.

Please read this people.

Gestault

Please read this people.

To be fair, the assumption comes into play because the streaming platform is primarily marketed and utilized on PS3/PS4 consoles, and the timeline of the Gaikai purchase did correspond with knowledge that the PS4 couldn't support PS3 BC (and wasn't supporting the existing PS1/2 digital purchases from PSN).

You can argue the point that it's different, but the ideal functionality is very very close,

paulogy

They sure are sweetening the pot, aren't they?

I think I still need one key thing to bite, though: to be able to stream (for free) the digital PS3 games I already own.

Gestault

They sure are sweetening the pot, aren't they?

I think I still need one key thing to bite, though: to be able to stream (for free) the digital PS3 games I already own.

They have to pay to maintain the service, so it's understandable why an ongoing expense for them is a different offering for players. We're still able to play our digital PS3 games on our systems just the same as when we bought them, even if it would be rad to have access to them elsewhere.

paulogy

They have to pay to maintain the service, so it's understandable why an ongoing expense for them is a different offering for players. We're still able to play our digital PS3 games on our systems just the same as when we bought them, even if it would be rad to have access to them elsewhere.

I get it. I'm saying I'd pay for a subscription if it meant I could stream the compatible PS3 games I already own free too.

Plague Doctor

Gold Member
Has the streaming improved? When I had it, I wasn't too thrilled with the service but, to be fair, that was when it was still new.

Allforce

See I think the marketing of this has been terrible just by reading this thread.

For one, I had no idea there were almost 400 games available. I thought a PS Now subscription was basically a total of 100 games, rotated in and out in waves every month.

On top of the sub I thought there were titles that could ONLY be rented on their own for a predetermined price.

As I now understand it, I still think the pricing is off by quite a bit. If this was 29.99 a year I'd jump in no problem. Even at 59.99 a year I'd probably strongly consider it. At 99.99 a year (or more? I don't know), it's just not in "impulse buy" territory for me..

Has the streaming improved? When I had it, I wasn't too thrilled with the service but, to be fair, that was when it was still new.

The compression artifacts are quite obvious if you have an eye for such things. But during the time I had it (the free trial) I don't think there was a single video hitch, lag spike quality drop or anything like that. Input lag was extremely low for being streamed. I was really impressed with how consistent it was. I do have really good internet though.

also demons souls remaster confirmed

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Just went through the list, im going to use my 7 day trial, and if input lag is okay, theres a frw games on there that id gladly play through...

God of wars
Hot shots golf - is this cross save? I was near a platinum on vita and then lost my vita...
Killzones
Wolf among us
Batman origins
Fat princess

Really disappointed though stick of truth isnt on there. Thats the last game i truly want to play on ps3

By the way, perhaps this could be added to the OP for anyone interested in just the new games.

Air Conflicts - Secret Wars
Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers
Air Conflicts: Vietnam
Back to the Future™: Episode 1 - It's About Time
BATTLE OF TILES EX
Borderlands The Pre-sequel
Counter Spy
Dogfight 1942
Duke Nukem Forever
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard
Entwined
Eufloria
Falling Skies
Farming Simulator 15
Game of Thrones Ep 1 & Ep 2 Bundle
Hoard
Hohokum
Interpol: The Trail of Dr. Chaos
Jimmie Johnson’s Anything with an Engine
Judge Dee - The City God Case
King Oddball
Le Tour de France™ - Season 2014
Machinarium
Mahjong Tales™: Ancient Wisdom
Matt Hazard: Blood Bath & Beyond
Motorstorm RC
MouseCraft
Of Orcs and Men™
Order Up!!
Planets Under Attack
Rain
Realms of Ancient War
Red Johnson’s Chronicles: One Against All
Rotastic
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Sky Dive: Proximity Flight
Sparkle 2
Spec Ops: The Line
StarDrone
Syberia
Syberia II
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
The Darkness 2
The Swapper
The UnderGarden™
Thomas was Alone
Titan Attacks!
Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign
Way of the Samurai 4
Zack Zero
Air Conflicts - Secret Wars
Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers
Air Conflicts: Vietnam
Back to the Future™: Episode 1 - It's About Time
BATTLE OF TILES EX
Borderlands The Pre-sequel
Counter Spy
Dogfight 1942
Duke Nukem Forever
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard
Entwined
Eufloria
Falling Skies
Farming Simulator 15
Game of Thrones Ep 1 & Ep 2 Bundle
Hoard
Hohokum
Interpol: The Trail of Dr. Chaos
Jimmie Johnson’s Anything with an Engine
Judge Dee - The City God Case
King Oddball
Le Tour de France™ - Season 2014
Machinarium
Mahjong Tales™: Ancient Wisdom
Matt Hazard: Blood Bath & Beyond
Motorstorm RC
MouseCraft
Of Orcs and Men™
Order Up!!
Planets Under Attack
Rain
Realms of Ancient War
Red Johnson’s Chronicles: One Against All
Rotastic
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Sky Dive: Proximity Flight
Sparkle 2
Spec Ops: The Line
StarDrone
Syberia
Syberia II
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
The Darkness 2
The Swapper
The UnderGarden™
Thomas was Alone
Titan Attacks!
Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign
Way of the Samurai 4
Zack Zero

The1Ski

Yeah. The majority of games are not included in the sub. And the rental prices are kind of a rip off. They do swap the games in the sub from time to time.

Wait so the games listed aren't included with the sub? You still have to pay to rent?

Carl

To be fair though they also use Gaikai tech for Share Play and Remote Play. Which don't make money as such but do give them more USP and allow them to differentiate themselves somewhat.

Top Bottom